Thoughts and Theories About Netflix Cancelling Marvel Shows (Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage are Over)

• 67 results
CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

What a shame. I'm only half way through s3 but, the Netflix Daredevil show has been my favorite superhero thing.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

They’re generally well made shows that are just too long and aimless. That said, I’ve seen every episode. From the highs of Daredevil season 1’s fights and Jessica Jones’ Kilgrave, to the lows of Luke Cage season 1 (season 2 was great).

I’m not a comics guy, but these are my favorite Marvel output aside from Logan and MAYBE some of the Russo Brothers’ MCU stuff...let’s toss Spider-man and Thor Ragnorak on that list, too...

I really dig them. It’s a shame they’re going.

I would have like to have seen Fisk be the big bad controlling, or at least influencing shit from behind the scenes. Maybe The Hand moves in while he’s behind bars. I think it would have been cool for the stories to have been connected by one crime syndicate that the protagonists eventually have to team up to defeat.

Ah well...it was a fun run.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is starting to remind me of what happened to Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes. Disney killing off good shows just so they can make far inferior versions that they have more control over.

I don't know if that's actually going to happen in this case, but I have little doubt that if they do decide to do something with these properties it won't be by continuing what Netflix started.

This is the kind of shit that turned me off of network television years ago. It sucks to see it seep its way into services like this, although I suppose it was inevitable.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That’s a shame, DD was the one Marvel show that I really liked. Well, season two was a little so-so.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Deathstriker

@nutter: They all probably should've been 10 episode seasons, but most shows have filler. Something like The Walking Dead or most other Netflix shows are worse at filler. If it is Netflix's fault they can go screw themselves. Netflix is pretty overrated. Most their original shows and movies suck. Having Amazon Video and Youtube TV is a better experience IMO. It wouldn't shock me if Netflix was dead or dying in 10 years or less.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a shame. Daredevil season 1 was amazing. It's weird, apart from daredevil and punisher none of the Netflix marvel shows clicked with me. I like the DCW shows way more even though I'm a much bigger Marvel fan.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By nutter

@deathstriker: I like a lot of Netflix’s content, but there’s a lot I don’t lile too...they put out A LOT of stuff. I’d take the best of HBO or Starz first (Ash vs. Evil Dead and Blunt Talk were great), but Netfix brings some good stuff my way.

Netlfix also partners to distribute some great stuff, like The Night Comes for Us (film) and BBC’s Peaky Blinders series.

I agree their content runs too many episodes, and rhe runtimes are too TV-like...Luke Cage season 1 should have been four episodes...Defenders, too. Why force old conventions on yourself, Write like it’s a book; however many chapters you need, and chapters could be 1 or 100 pages.

Turns out, this is a contract negotion issue. They need to get a certain amount of content ID’d in a contract so someone doesn’t come back with too little content. I guess they’re starting to address this, with some recent Marvel shows, Narcos: Mexico, and other coming in shorter.

Maniac had episodes, as I recall, not too much longer than 20 mins, while others were three times as long, so I like the direction their starting to hint at...

EDIT: I watched some Walking Dead. Season 1 was tight. 2 was a mess. It never really recovered.

Reminds me of watching The Blacklist on Netflix. Network television is probably 75% filler. It’s insane. I wanted to like that show, but they kept forcing camera time with besides James Spader.

Even The Sopranos, which had a great ensemble cast AND great writing, so that you didn’t feel that non-Tony scenes were a waste of time, fell into that trap with Carmella’s Paris trip and Vito’s Vermont trip late in the series.

There’s too much time in shows stalling and dragging to put your eyes in front of more commercials.

I really like Peaky Blinders and Taboo for that reason. Ash vs. Evil Dead is another good one, and Game of Thrones is just great. They’re tight, move, and don’t waste your time. One of these shows is BBC, one is a BBC partnership, and the other two are premium television.

Hell, Deadwood was a great show with a huge ensemble cast that was a page-turner, so to speak...

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Apparently, the Disney producers and writers were left as blindsighted as everyone. They had S4 completely planned out.

This was 100% a Netflix move.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Deathstriker
@nutter said:

@deathstriker: I like a lot of Netflix’s content, but there’s a lot I don’t lile too...they put out A LOT of stuff. I’d take the best of HBO or Starz first (Ash vs. Evil Dead and Blunt Talk were great), but Netfix brings some good stuff my way.

Netlfix also partners to distribute some great stuff, like The Night Comes for Us (film) and BBC’s Peaky Blinders series.

I agree their content runs too many episodes, and rhe runtimes are too TV-like...Luke Cage season 1 should have been four episodes...Defenders, too. Why force old conventions on yourself, Write like it’s a book; however many chapters you need, and chapters could be 1 or 100 pages.

Turns out, this is a contract negotion issue. They need to get a certain amount of content ID’d in a contract so someone doesn’t come back with too little content. I guess they’re starting to address this, with some recent Marvel shows, Narcos: Mexico, and other coming in shorter.

Maniac had episodes, as I recall, not too much longer than 20 mins, while others were three times as long, so I like the direction their starting to hint at...

EDIT: I watched some Walking Dead. Season 1 was tight. 2 was a mess. It never really recovered.

Reminds me of watching The Blacklist on Netflix. Network television is probably 75% filler. It’s insane. I wanted to like that show, but they kept forcing camera time with besides James Spader.

Even The Sopranos, which had a great ensemble cast AND great writing, so that you didn’t feel that non-Tony scenes were a waste of time, fell into that trap with Carmella’s Paris trip and Vito’s Vermont trip late in the series.

There’s too much time in shows stalling and dragging to put your eyes in front of more commercials.

I really like Peaky Blinders and Taboo for that reason. Ash vs. Evil Dead is another good one, and Game of Thrones is just great. They’re tight, move, and don’t waste your time. One of these shows is BBC, one is a BBC partnership, and the other two are premium television.

Hell, Deadwood was a great show with a huge ensemble cast that was a page-turner, so to speak...

Netflix is pretty good, I'm not trying to trash them, but they're not doing anything spectacular or unique. Amazon and Hulu are pretty comparable. Every Netflix movie I've seen has been "alright" at best besides maybe the Coen Brothers movie that came out last month, which was pretty good. And with all their TV shows there's a "but".

I liked House of Cards, but it has some boring parts and they sometimes randomly throw away interesting side characters.

I liked the Haunting of Hill House but the last two episodes were pretty boring and a letdown.

I like Voltron, but they've made certain things needlessly convoluted and the series ending this month feels rushed.

I could go on. Bojack Horseman is probably their best show besides Daredevil, it's the only other one I've seen without any big flaws.I look at certain shows like Black Mirror and the Bodyguard as BBC shows that are on Netflix. The Handmaiden Tale is a little overrated, but Netflix doesn't have an award winner like that for a reason.

I think the real test for Netflix is if they nail their Witcher, Last Airbender, and Cowboy Bebop shows. If none of those 3 are great that will highlight that they aren't good at making TV. I think at least 2 of those 3 need to be great. Also, all 3 of those have big and hardcore fan bases that I wouldn't want to piss off with a shitty, or even just average, show.

HBO is definitely king, but I wouldn't be shocked if they started to go downhill due to AT&T owning them now and it sounds like they want to mess with their formula.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: The Night Comes for Us is a Netflix film (well, they’re distributing it) that’s fucking amazing.

They also have an Iko Uwais show coming next year that I REALLY hope goes well.

Beyond that...there’s a lot of stuff on Netflix I like, but not a lot I love, so point taken.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I assume Punisher is next to be cancelled after they air the second season and all that is left is Jessica Jones which I assume must be mid production.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They cancelled daredevil? So I dont have to watch season 3?!

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Daredevil is cancelled as well? I thought S3 was really good; what the hell happened?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harinosho: Did you ever have to?

Season 3 was good. I wish there were less of Daredevil’s buddies, but they had their moments, plot-wise.

If you liked seasons 1 or 2, season 3 is worth a watch.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Asking me that makes me wonder why I watch anything really. No joke, I feel like only documentaries may be worth watching and not feel like im wasting my life.

The main issue I have with The Netflix Marvel series is that its 50+ minutes long per episode. If its good. I mean shit, guess i can burn through it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harinosho: I really only watch stuff I actually enjoy. If a show loses me, I tend to stop.

I do watch most TV with my wife, so we both kinda have to tap out at the same time. It’s only really bit us twice, where we watched Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy after being exposed to season 2. We regretfully finished Sons of Anarchy. We gave up on Walking Dead after...too many seasons. It’s probably been 4-5 years since we stopped, but season 2 was such a mess I feel bad that we continued at all.

Actually, we stopped watching during season 2, and caught up years later...oh well...

Outside of that, we’re pretty picky about what we watch and tend to tell shows we stop enjoying to fuck off.

Where we failed with Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead, we succeeded with Westworld (another great season 1 show with a terrible second season), I tapped out after three episodes of sesson 2. She tried the forth, and agreed that it was time to let it die.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think these shows suffered because of all the episodes being 44 minutes long with 20 minutes of content.

DD season 2 I remember as being a particularly huge slog because of all the Elektra stuff.