Who was, in your opinion, the greatest U.S. President?

• 94 results
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

Who do you think our greatest president was? I only added those who someone might actually choose, sorry to disappoint any Buchanan fans out there.

Personally, I chose Teddy Roosevelt. He had a wonderful character, and was an all around great guy. He wasn't afraid to go break party lines. We could use a man like him today, if only for his environmental passion.
AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AutomaticSnake

Where is Bush?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

While good old Abe freed the slaves, I do have to choose Ronnie. Just a great, responsible, confident president.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo

Well rumour has it, that i'm related to Abraham Lincoln, seriously.

So i'll vote for him.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By granderojo

Theodore Roosevelt, man was the most progressive president we ever had.

He busted the trusts, reformed the nation and built the panama canal.

All within the guidelines of the constitution.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

Ronald Reagan!  (he recorded this for the AMA long before he became President)

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dalai

I have a soft spot for Millard Fillmore.

After him, I guess Lincoln.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

I refuse to vote for a president who was in office before I was even alive, thus leaving me with a handful of choices. I chose Mr. Clinton because he totally had sexual relations with that woman!

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By chronicsmoke

abraham lincoln,what he did for black americans is one of the greatest things to happen to this country

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

Thomas Jefferson nearly doubled the land mass of the United States with the stroke of a pen through the Louisiana Purchase ($15,000,000).  Additionally, as a proponent of an individual's liberty, he repealed the Alien and Sedition Acts and Midnight Judges Act, which have sadly all but been revived through the Patriot Act. The Alien and Sedition Acts removed due process from an immigrants rights, and the Midnight Judges Act allowed the President to appoint judges to federal courts without Congressional approval or oversight.   Additionally, it was under Jefferson's term that conversations regarding the banning of the slave trade began.  A compromise was reached in 1808 which banned the trade but required the government to send back any slaves smuggled into free states back to their state of ownership.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By justinnotjason

I voted Thomas Jefferson. The man was a genius and alot of what he said still applies today. You should look up some of his quotes on war and economics. Astounding.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. "

"The central bank is an institution of the most deadly hostility existing against the Principles and form of our Constitution. I am an Enemy to all banks discounting bills or notes for anything but Coin. If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the People of all their Property until their Children will wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered."

Those last two quote especially applies to today.

Avatar image for thesixthhorseman
TheSixthHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheSixthHorseman

Jefferson. Abraham Lincoln was a piece of crap.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bullet_Jr

FDR was America's first cyborg president. I voted for Roosevelt.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tekmojo

Honest Abe.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pibo47

Jefferson mofo's. He and I are liked minded on many subjects.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Pibo47 said:
"Jefferson mofo's. He and I are liked minded on many subjects."
High five.

I like dark women too.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Dude

Washington, he told us that political parties would tear this nation apart, and that we should exclude them so not to divide the nation. I think that was a very sound piece of advice and I really wish we would have listened.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By mracoon

Don't know much about US presidents (I'm British) but I definitely know about good ol' Honest Abe,

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

Lincoln. I visited his house during a field trip a couple years back, since I live in Illinois. Nice. I SAW HIS FRIDGE.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Abraham Lincoln
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoG
thabigred said:
"Theodore Roosevelt, man was the most progressive president we ever had.

"
Glad to see more Teddy fans. I completely agree with what you said, the man was a brilliant progressive.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snipzor
BoG said:
"thabigred said:
"Theodore Roosevelt, man was the most progressive president we ever had.

"
Glad to see more Teddy fans. I completely agree with what you said, the man was a brilliant progressive.
"
The man perfected progressive beliefs, but I still had to go with Jefferson (Although Teddy was my second choice).
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb

FDR, hands down. But Abraham Lincoln and George Washington (the good G.W.) are up there as well. Yet I'm pretty vexed as to why Jefferson would be in second place. He has name recognition, I get it, but why would anyone vote him to be the best president? Me thinks that very naive.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
Kush said:
"I refuse to vote for a president who was in office before I was even alive, thus leaving me with a handful of choices. I chose Mr. Clinton because he totally had sexual relations with that woman!
"

But she is ugly...

:O
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JJOR64

Lincoln for me.  :-)

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hexpane

A lot of flawed greats.  Teddy gave us the idea of national parks and preserving the environment.   Abe navigated the civil war.  FDR got us past the nazis, Bush W gave us high comedy...

George Washington would be mine.  They wanted to make him king and he told them to STFU about kings.  He also predicted a 2 party system would destroy the USA.  He was correct.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pibo47
Bullet_Jr said:
"Pibo47 said:
"Jefferson mofo's. He and I are liked minded on many subjects."
High five.

I like dark women too.
"
HAHAHAHA! My girl friend is black! Maybe me and jefferson are related.
(She's actually half black, but since her dads black she is legally black)
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pibo47
Hexpane said:
"  He also predicted a 2 party system would destroy the USA.  He was correct.
"
This is why Mr. Washington is my 2nd favorite.
bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bombHills

Regan??!  The man started this whole war on drugs crap, what a waste.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
Hexpane said:
"A lot of flawed greats.  Teddy gave us the idea of national parks and preserving the environment.   Abe navigated the civil war.  FDR got us past the nazis, Bush W gave us high comedy...

George Washington would be mine.  They wanted to make him king and he told them to STFU about kings.  He also predicted a 2 party system would destroy the USA.  He was correct.
"

He also predicted that increased involvement with external affairs would destroy the USA. He turned out to be correct there, too. =/
Avatar image for thesixthhorseman
TheSixthHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheSixthHorseman
BiggerBomb said:
"

FDR, hands down. But Abraham Lincoln and George Washington (the good G.W.) are up there as well. Yet I'm pretty vexed as to why Jefferson would be in second place. He has name recognition, I get it, but why would anyone vote him to be the best president? Me thinks that very naive.

"
I'm thinking you learned about Presidents solely from your K-12 years. FDR was a giant screw-up and almost destroyed our economy, Lincoln basically stomped all over the Constitution, and George Washington, while not bad, didn't do much of note during his presidency.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By RHCPfan24

I say Abe. He had arguably the toughest term with the Civil War and slavery issue, and he lasted through all of it, by a mere five days nonetheless. He also seemed like a great guy, as well.

Thank you for not putting Bush there ;)

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb
TheSixthHorseman said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"

"
I'm thinking you learned about Presidents solely from your K-12 years. FDR was a giant screw-up and almost destroyed our economy, Lincoln basically stomped all over the Constitution, and George Washington, while not bad, didn't do much of note during his presidency.
"

I'm 16 and school's not where I've learned my history. I like to do somethin' called research. He didn't have a perfect presidency, he had the best presidency. Almost destroyed our economy?  When people say the New Deal didn't work, a red flag pops up that says they have no clue what they are talking about. In fact, once it started, the only time our economy began to dip again was when FDR suspended the ND due to unsubstantiated conservative backlash. This was in 1937. When it was put back into effect, the economy began its ascent once more.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiggerBomb
TheSixthHorseman said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"

"
"

Also, Lincoln did violate the Constitution. And? It didn't work, much like the current violations of our Constitution haven't worked. That's why we have the Constitution, so our country can work. But then, guess what? He unified a divided country that was embroiled in warfare through outstanding rhetoric and brilliantly tactical political maneuvers. That's something that the forefather of the Neo-Con movement, Mr. Reagan, cannot amount to.
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By ManMadeGod
BiggerBomb said:
"TheSixthHorseman said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"

"
"

Also, Lincoln did violate the Constitution. And? It didn't work, much like the current violations of our Constitution haven't worked. That's why we have the Constitution, so our country can work. But then, guess what? He unified a divided country that was embroiled in warfare through outstanding rhetoric and brilliantly tactical political maneuvers. That's something that the forefather of the Neo-Con movement, Mr. Reagan, cannot amount to."
I have no idea why so many people like Lincoln. He started the god dam civil war, a war that killed over 600,000 Americans! I mean come on! If he was the great leader that history has made him out to be he would have avoided the conflict.

You're also completely wrong about FDR; the post WW2 downturn in the economy was not becuase he stopped the ND. Care to tell us where you do your research?
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By RedSox8933

FDR is so badass. that speech that he made when he got out of his wheelchair to emphasize his point and all that, was figgin awesome.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By AgentJ
AutomaticSnake said:
"Where is Bush?
"
LOL! wait, you were joking right?

I don't know that you really shouldve had Clinton on there as a choice. It's way to early to say how good he was. I definately have a lot of respect for him as he created the largest budget surplus in the history of our country, but again, i think it is too early to put him on a list of all time greats. 
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Systech
TheSixthHorseman said:
"Jefferson. Abraham Lincoln was a piece of crap.
"

You know what I'm talking about.
You know what I'm talking about.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Whisperkill

Abe, GW, RR or Teddy

Oh, and just so you know Abraham Lincoln did not want to free the slaves, that was not his goal, he just wanted to preserve the union, it just so happened that releasing the slaves would weaken the south and the north along with its Legislature, wanted the South to pay, his hands were tied, not that he was reluctant.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By jakob187

As a Republican, it's tough because we've had so many damn fine presidents in our party to choose from.  We've also had some slip-ups, but for the most part, we've done good for ourselves.

I've gotta pick Ronald Reagan, even though Abraham Lincoln was another great treasure for our party (and the first to boot!).
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Whisperkill

...wait... who the hell picked Clinton!?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BiggerBomb
ManMadeGod said:
I have no idea why so many people like Lincoln. He started the god dam civil war, a war that killed over 600,000 Americans! I mean come on! If he was the great leader that history has made him out to be he would have avoided the conflict.

You're also completely wrong about FDR; the post WW2 downturn in the economy was not becuase he stopped the ND. Care to tell us where you do your research?
"

Care to tell us where you do your research? If you are that simple minded, well...I'll go out on a limb and say you live in the deep south.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By RedSox8933
BiggerBomb said:
"ManMadeGod said:

"

Care to tell us where you do your research? If you are that simple minded, well...I'll go out on a limb and say you live in the deep south."
seriously
Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shazam

It's got to be good old Abe. Emancipation is a pretty good word to have stuck in your biography.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

*Picks at random.*

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Discorsi

It's hard to rank old presidents against each other.  You really have to take the situation in its context to do so.  For example people like to shit on Andrew Jackson for the so called Trail of Tears.  Where else were these Indians supposed to go?  He is the reason they were not wiped out completely.  America was going to be a white man's country whether anyone liked it or not.  If he had not moved them, eventually the local southerners would have wiped them out themselves in order to gain more land.  Just look at all the tribes that used to be in the north.  All killed off.

Anyways I would probably have to go with Lincoln.  He helped preserve our forefather's dream of a republican nation and freed the slaves.  During his presidency a lot of medical facilities began to pop up and he was a big believer in such things as the railroads.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Just puttin this out their. Went to some thing after school a week ago. Some dude told us about George Washington. Dude didnt chop down no Cherry Tree. Thats fucked up man.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#48  Edited By ManMadeGod
BiggerBomb said:
"ManMadeGod said:

"

Care to tell us where you do your research? If you are that simple minded, well...I'll go out on a limb and say you live in the deep south."
I was expected more than this shallow response. I love how you totally avoided my question and deiced to attack where I live (and guess wrong in the process).
Nothing I said was simple minded. You clam that "He unified a divided country that was embroiled in warfare" yet when lincoln took office, only 7 states had declared that they no longer wanted to be part of the United States. Most southern states, like Virgin, had voted against succession even after Lincoln became president. A few months later there was 11 states that had left and  war had erupted. Lincoln did nothing to avoid this war. My fellow Americans need to see Lincoln for what he was: a tyrant. Sorry if I would rather of have a peaceful Emancipation like Britain and the the rest of the world. I'm sorry if I don't support Lincoln's War.

Jefferson Davis sent  numerous peace convoys to Washington and all where totally ignored. Thousands of Americans (such as Francis Key Howard) where arrest and throw into jail without a trail for speaking out against the war. If you so wish to do some research (which you clam to do), go track down old newspaper articals (and headlines) from the start of the war (1860-61). You will find that many northern papers spoke out against Lincon's decition to coax the South into firing the first shot. Of course, almost all of these papers where censored or shut down once the war started. To the victor goes to the spoils, and one of the spoils of this war was the history books. People need to spend more time looking into the problems the country was going through at this time, and the disastrous Lincoln administration. If you wish to read more about the secret police force set up by William Sweard, and the thousands of Americans arrested, please pick up Constitutional Problems Under Lincoln by James G Randall. Or you could just read up on Clement L. Vallandigham, a member of the house who was a arrested for speaking out against "honest abe".

I could keep going, but I rather not. Since you clam to research stuff, you can fill in the rest if you so care to learn the truth. Speaking of research, care to answer my question now?
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BoG
BiggerBomb said:
"

"
I only think one is naive if they choose JFK, who is likely the worst on that list because he was assassinated before he could really make his mark. McKinley is another who died too early, else he would be better. Of course, had McKinley not been shot, T. Roosevelt may never have been president.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ArchScabby

I chose Lincoln because he had the coolest style of any president ever!
His beard and hat were the shit.