Why are people romanticising depression/anxiety?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Dray2k
@slightlytrans said:

There is no science. No reproducible studies. Psychology is a guessing game.

I mean this is just the GB community so I'm not offended at all. All sciences are dependant on guessing games and falsifiability, which ultimately leads to reproduceability. Only the subject itself and the train of thought are different, but its the same as with the schools of maths and physics. Which also differ vastly, even though the themes and the topics therein share similarities.

I wouldn't say that there can be axiomic principles applied, but the pillars of psychology and sociology have yet to be disproven (again). The same is similarly true when it comes to physics. Billions have been spend to not even answer questions or give proper answers, but rather to deny them to see if another path is true. Thats the nature of science, do the same thing until it fails. Everything has to be considered a hypothesis until falsifiability becomes impossible. If you can't disprove it, then it must be true.

There have been around some hundred scientific studies released on the subject of psychology in the last 5 or so years alone. Its more science than you think. Its just based on the highly subjective topic on the human mind, and even soul if you're willing to go that route.

EDIT: This is not a statement that tells that you're wrong but your experience and knowledge with the matters of Psychology vastly differ from my own. Thats the beauty of science I suppose as not everyone shares the same knowledge when it comes to a specific field, same holds true when it comes to theoretical physics and it's practices.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

@minipato said:

@diz: Sounds like it's going for the opposite of romanticizing.

I guess what I'm curious about is if you and the OP consider Alex's forthcoming attitude about depression to be romanticizing it and wearing it as a badge of honor? He often brings it up as a defining character trait for himself and sometimes makes it a point of self deprecating humor. Because that's mainly how I see people generally talk about depression and anxiety on social media and I'm wondering if that's what the OP is talking about.

Yeah, when I read the OP (something that seems lost in most of this thread's conversation, but whatever, that happens) I picture a lot of the Instagram accounts my ex-GF got me into, many of which are the most popular meme sources on the platform and nearly half of their content is related to depression in some way. Beigecardigan, FuckJerry, fuckadvertisements, emotionalclub, girlsthinkimfunny, friendofbae, shitheadsteve, vodkalana, and so on. I'd share some examples but it's hard to directly link to Instagram content and I'm feeling a bit lazy this morning. Here's a description: a stock photo of a smiling businessman likely from the late 90s or early 2000s with a piece of stock paper cut into a speech balloon like a grade school art class project that says, "Sometimes all you can do is smile. Move on with your day, hold back the tears and pretend you're okay," in comic sans font.

I'd say calling this sort of content "romanticizing" a stretch, and I think both the popularity of these accounts and the amount of content they create/repost that focuses on anxiety and sadness has more to do with the demographics that frequent Instagram (think Ingrid Goes West) and less to do with people feeling a sense of pride in their depression.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@slightlytrans: What a load of condescending, ignorant bullshit. You act like you know best for everyone else. I sincerely hope that you don't try to "help" any friends or loved ones who reveal that they suffer from depression.

It's hilarious that you start randomly stating percentages of people who can be cured. Where's your reproducible science to back that up, hmm?

Your comments are vile and harmful.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some incredible "just get better!!" levels of head in the sand comments here.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By mike

Well the options at this point are to delete a bunch of comments then send some warnings and deal with that whole mess while babysitting this topic forever, or we can just call it a day and close it now. I'm opting for the latter.