Why does the US celebrate itself by insulting eveyone else?

• 197 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

Put down the pitch forks and flaming torches! This is not a fuck America thread, so please don't turn this into one. I am just hoping to get a discussion on an observation that I saw, and nothing more. So please don't turn this into the above mentioned thread.

While reading through several threads started over the last few days on various sites to celebrate the USA's 4th of July, I realized that a lot of the time whenever Americans are feeling patriotic and wish to celebrate their country they do so by insulting every other country and proclaiming to anyone in ear shot that they are gods gift to earth and that we should all be thankful that they allow us to exist.  I'm wondering why Americans tend to have this mindset and desire to insult every other country to promote their own as a means to feel better about themselves instead of just being proud of their countries accomplishments and showing them off, or if this is just a vocal minority that makes everyone else look bad by association.

The reason this always stuck out to me, is that in almost every other country when they want to be patriotic and celebrate a national holiday, like their countries equivalent to the US 4th of July, they boast about their countries good qualities and their past deeds and leave it at that. So when you contrast that with the US, and all I ever seem to hear is them proclaiming that: they are better then everyone else, they are perfect in every way, and we should all be lucky to be on the same planet as they are; it just seems odd and out of place that they feel the need to do that. To me it just comes across as being extremely self-conscious and as if the individual feels the need to compensate for something by trying to be flashy and boastful as a distraction that only does the exact opposite and highlights all the bad parts. It just seems so odd to me coming from a country that could be proud of so much, to instead feel the need to insult others in place of just simply being proud of their good parts and admitting that they need work in other areas. It's as if the individual has this weird mindset of never admitting something is anything less then perfect because that would mean admitting there are problems that need to be fixes.

Anyway, that was my observation from reading various 4th of July threads and I just wanted to make this thread and to try and get a civil discussion on the topic started. I know this will just degrade into chaos instantly, never touch on the subject, and end up getting locked; but I got my fingers crossed for something otherwise.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Example1013

Because they are shit and we are God's greatest gift to Earth?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Stop being such a bitter disgrace to Canada.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By shinigami420

Why do the Americans celebrate themself by shooting up fireworks a chinese invention

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Sigh...

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lifestrike
Dear America,

We miss you. Do stop this charade and come home.

Love, Britain
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Dude seriously have you never experienced the attitudes of other countries? we are perfect, they suck...etc is not a uniquely american method and please dont make out that it is.  Whats odd though is you didn't give a single example of how in america this is done except some websites did it....I go out get some food, hang with my family, light of a few fireworks and thats my 4th most of the time that is what most people do and I don't think you can cite a single majority of examples that Americans do what you say. 
If you even gave sufficient examples you'd have examples in the minority not the majority. 

Please dont act like we are the only ones that do such things and certainly don't make out that its in the majority. 
shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shinigami420

Its becuse the Americans have been feed propoganda by the gov and the media all their life they actually belive america is the best country in earth and they are better than everyone else

Its like in North Korea you cant blame the people only the gov

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP

Video games, we invented them. Suck it.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dystonym

because nationality defines everything about a person.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Lifestrike said:
Dear America,

Love, Britain
this post is fucking gold!
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crusader8463
@WilliamRLBaker said:

Dude seriously have you never experienced the attitudes of other countries? we are perfect, they suck...etc is not a uniquely american method and please dont make out that it is whats odd though is you didn't give a single example of how in america this is done....I go out get some food, hang with my family, light of a few fireworks and thats my 4th most of the time that is what most people do and I don't think you can cite a single majority of examples that Americans do what you say. you have examples in the minority not the majority.  Please dont act like we are the only ones that do such things and certainly don't make out that its in the majority. 

Read my post and not just the thread title. I said several times that it was an observation from reading a handful of threads on various sites that I saw this recurring theme, and I wanted to know if it was just that. I small vocal minority, or if the majority really think that way. It's impossible to tell online from just typed words if someone is just joking around and playing it up or not, but all I ever seem to see people say is the stereotypical "Amer-ic-A Fuck YA! We R de Bestz! Fuck erebody else!", and the handful of relatives I have that live in the US act that way as well. I rarely see people just talking about being proud of their county for their accomplishments and leaving it at that.

I never once said all Americans are like that.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ThePickle

@Lifestrike said:

Dear America,

Love, Britain

Eff that shit I like spelling "humor" correctly thank you very much.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Example1013

Dear Britain,

Please make better food.

Love, America

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shinigami420

@Snapstacle said:

Gunpowder Paper

Invented in China

SUCK IT!!

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theoldhouse

Oh that's rich

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shinigami420

@example1013 said:

Dear Britain,

Please make better food.

Love, America

Yeah we all know how Great mc donalds is or all the other junk food that Americans love to eat

sorry to say it but America UK Germany and even my country have pretty terrible food Japan has the best food in the world very healthy and taste great there is a reason why the japanese live longer than us

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@crusader8463 said:

@WilliamRLBaker

said:

Dude seriously have you never experienced the attitudes of other countries? we are perfect, they suck...etc is not a uniquely american method and please dont make out that it is whats odd though is you didn't give a single example of how in america this is done....I go out get some food, hang with my family, light of a few fireworks and thats my 4th most of the time that is what most people do and I don't think you can cite a single majority of examples that Americans do what you say. you have examples in the minority not the majority.  Please dont act like we are the only ones that do such things and certainly don't make out that its in the majority. 

Read my post and not just the thread title. I said several times that it was an observation from reading a handful of threads on various sites that I saw this recurring theme, and I wanted to know if it was just that. I small vocal minority, or if the majority really think that way. It's impossible to tell online from just typed words if someone is just joking around and playing it up or not, but all I ever seem to see people say is the stereotypical "Amer-ic-A Fuck YA! We R de Bestz! Fuck erebody else!", and the handful of relatives I have that live in the US act that way as well. I rarely see people just talking about being proud of their county for their accomplishments and leaving it at that. I never once said all Americans are like that.

""I realized that a lot of the time whenever Americans are feeling patriotic and wish to celebrate their country they do so by insulting every other country and proclaiming to anyone in ear shot that they are gods gift to earth and that we should all be thankful that they allow us to exist"" 

"" almost every other country when they want to be patriotic and celebrate a national holiday, like their countries equivalent to the US 4th of July, they boast about their countries good qualities and their past deeds and leave it at that"" 

seems to me like you did make those assumptions I did read your post thoroughly and you made the assumptions based on a few websites. 
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Portis

@LordXavierBritish said:

No Caption Provided

Lmao! That's great.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By theoldhouse
@shinigami420: The British also have some of the greatest chefs in the world (along with the french) 

Japan, as you say, are probably the most healthy overall though. 

America is the worst country for food after any country made of desert.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By OllyOxenFree

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@shinigami420
See no insulting other countries...etc just USA USA after they killed a dude that did some horrible things.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Example1013

@shinigami420: Japan has shit for food. Literally.

We have: soy, wheat, almonds, cod, apricots, apples, peaches, trout, sweet potatoes, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, rasberries, strawberries, coffee, corn, cranberries, hot peppers, and buffalo. Most of those are indigenous, and all are grown in the U.S. Maybe it has less to do with locally grown food and more to do with what's actually eaten, since (fun fact) much of McDonalds beef comes from Asia.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shinigami420

@theoldhouse said:

@shinigami420: The British also have some of the greatest chefs in the world (along with the french) Japan, as you say, are probably the most healthy overall though. America is the worst country for food after any country made of desert.

America UK france have some great chefs too bad they make unhealthy greasy food

There is a reason why the life expectancy in japan is around 85 while in most european countries and America its around 60-70

i would say that the food that makes you live 10 years more is much better

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sanity

I think it comes naturally, the 4th my as well been called fuck the British day.

And i dont mean in current days, i mean when we first claimed independence, just its kinda be brought down through the years.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shinigami420

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@shinigami420: See no insulting other countries...etc just USA USA after they killed a dude that did some horrible things.

Pretty fucking sick to celebrate someones death even if he did bad things and then pretending it is some nasjonal achievement

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

It's a vocal minority.  Most people just go to barbecues and watch fireworks with family and friends.  There's quite a few Americans that realize we can learn things from other cultures and countries... this, of course, widens the gap between how great we are and everyone else. USAUSAUSA!!! 

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By bacongames

@crusader8463 said:

While reading through several threads started over the last few days on various sites to celebrate the USA's 4th of July, I realized that a lot of the time whenever Americans are feeling patriotic and wish to celebrate their country they do so by insulting every other country and proclaiming to anyone in ear shot that they are gods gift to earth and that we should all be thankful that they allow us to exist. I'm wondering why Americans tend to have this mindset and desire to insult every other country to promote their own as a means to feel better about themselves instead of just being proud of their countries accomplishments and showing them off, or if this is just a vocal minority that makes everyone else look bad by association.

I don't know about you but you pretty much described what every other country does but only that America does it on a global scale. National pride and stupidity is a staple of every nation but it just so happens that America in it's 70 year history as one of the most involved nations globally, it makes sense that we as Americans think in terms of the world vs. us. Hell all our people and products are from somewhere else pretty much but it's precisely that frame of reference that puts the global scale into our heads in the first place. I'm pretty sure Nicaragua would act the same if they'd survived World War II as one of the two great superpowers pitted against the USSR until 1991, and then proceeded to be the largest military power as well as global economic force in the world. (Sure there's stuff like China but let's not get off topic).

We were one of the great isolated countries in the world, cut off from truly global matters until World War I and more so II. But of course back then we had old-school racism to tell ourselves America was the best (which again every other nation did at that time too).

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shinigami420

@example1013 said:

We have: soy, wheat, almonds, cod, apricots, apples, peaches, trout, sweet potatoes, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, rasberries, strawberries, coffee, corn, cranberries, hot peppers, and buffalo. Most of those are indigenous, and all are grown in the U.S. Maybe it has less to do with locally grown food and more to do with what's actually eaten, since (fun fact) much of McDonalds beef comes from Asia.

Here we see a fine exampel of some that got tricked by the Chinese 4chan LOL ignorant much?

how do you explain that america is the fatest country on earth?

much of McDonalds beef comes from Asia maby becuse EVERYTHING COMES FROM ASIA!

how do you explain that the japanese in average lives 10 years longer than the Americans?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crusader8463
@WilliamRLBaker said:
@crusader8463 said:

@WilliamRLBaker

said:

Read my post and not just the thread title. I said several times that it was an observation from reading a handful of threads on various sites that I saw this recurring theme, and I wanted to know if it was just that. I small vocal minority, or if the majority really think that way. It's impossible to tell online from just typed words if someone is just joking around and playing it up or not, but all I ever seem to see people say is the stereotypical "Amer-ic-A Fuck YA! We R de Bestz! Fuck erebody else!", and the handful of relatives I have that live in the US act that way as well. I rarely see people just talking about being proud of their county for their accomplishments and leaving it at that. I never once said all Americans are like that.

""I realized that a lot of the time whenever Americans are feeling patriotic and wish to celebrate their country they do so by insulting every other country and proclaiming to anyone in ear shot that they are gods gift to earth and that we should all be thankful that they allow us to exist""  "" almost every other country when they want to be patriotic and celebrate a national holiday, like their countries equivalent to the US 4th of July, they boast about their countries good qualities and their past deeds and leave it at that""  seems to me like you did make those assumptions I did read your post thoroughly and you made the assumptions based on a few websites. 
Then I apologize for my choice of wording, as that was not the intent. It's very late, I'm in a lot of pain and haven't slept for several days. I was just trying to state an observation I made, that the only time I ever seem to hear a lot of Americans trying to be patriotic, it's usually followed by some kind of insult or jab at another countries expense instead of trying to boast about their own countries virtues.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Lifestrike said:
Dear America,

Love, Britain
LOL
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Example1013

@shinigami420: Class A ignorance on display right here. Buffalo is one of the healthier meats available, as is trout. Blueberries are considered one of the healthiest foods on the planet. You seem to be confusing overprocessed bullshit with American food.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shinigami420

@example1013 said:

@shinigami420: Class A ignorance on display right here. Buffalo is one of the healthier meats available, as is trout. Blueberries are considered one of the healthiest foods on the planet. You seem to be confusing overprocessed bullshit with American food.

FISH BEATS BUFFALO MEAT I WIN!!!!!!!!!!

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Example1013

@shinigami420: I guess you skipped where I said "trout". I could just as easily say "bass", "salmon", "pickerel", "tilapia", "tuna", "swordfish", "mackerel", "herring", or (something only indigenous to America) "Cod", nevermind all the more local species in other parts of the country that I can't even name.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Putting other people down is the American way.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Omega

Well if you don't like the way Americans celebrate their nations birthday you can at least take solace in the fact that last night a good portion of them blew their fingers off fiddling with explosives they had no business being around, and didn't read the instructions for because the written word is "of the devil" 

To that I say God Bless America! 

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM
@shinigami420 said:

@Snapstacle said:

Gunpowder Paper

Invented in China

SUCK IT!!

I don't think you stating that stuff comes from China, or any other country, would help your argument. It's because America is so great China was just so honored to give us stuff as well as any other country would. Mwah... ha ha ha ha haaaaa. And about the propaganda crap you said above, you don't think there are people here who believe in conspiracy theories? We're not idiots and we would like to know what goes on in our own country as well. You're retarded. 

To the OP, I'm sorry, but I don't think that's just Americans. Anyone will support and/or cheer for their country, and here in the U.S., even more so on a holiday such as the 4th of July if they're at least somewhat patriotic. It's just like two individuals that have a certain item, and one person thinks their item is better, but the other person thinks theirs is. It's kind of like console wars. If I only had I PS3, a 360, or a Wii, I'd probably (not only defend it but) try to make people realize how great that console is. Just like how everyone should realize that America's great. Not everyone here thinks our country is better though, some either think it can be worse, or maybe even just the same as the rest.  

Just because someone from another country hears someone from here say we're better, you shouldn't make that reflect the U.S. as a whole. Not everyone is like that. Maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration, but if most of us in the U.S. disliked another country in the least, we probably wouldn't care to travel elsewhere. As I've seen it, I think America's the least, or one of the least hateful countries in the world, or at least what we've done for peace outweighs our attempts of evil. And no one is perfect, so like one person, a whole nation can make mistakes. 
There are a lot of idiots in this world, maybe American's just have a way of showing it more often, but I hope I don't see any more of these types of threads, because it's offensive and it will spark an argument from someone. Wishful thinking, but why can't we just live in peace?... under my own conditions? Ha ha. Kidding.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@example1013 said:

Some of the McDonalds beef comes from Australia. Asia doesn't produce beef en masse, especially for export - Hinduism and Islam see to that. Australia exports more beef than any country as far as I know. Fun facts are useless, real facts have value.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Example1013

@shinigami420: PMing me a message describing a dietary choice still doesn't prove that Japan has better food, only that they may choose to eat more healthily. I could easily make a fish-centric diet where I live. It's not hard. There's a fish market section of the supermarket a mile away that's just as big as the butcher shop, filled with fresh fish and shellfish. Hell, my university serves fish regularly in the dining halls. I'm guessing you're confused over the distinction between food and diet. To clear things up:

Food: Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.

Diet: The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By dagas

Are the Japanese any less smug about their country? They believed in WWII that they were superior and should rule all other people, so did the Germans during WWII and before that the British Empire treated the US as some backwater country of farmers. Whoever has the power becomes a smug SOB and right now the US has the power. However that is changing and soon we will be complaining over how the Chinese believe that their form of capitalistic "communism" dictatorship is god's gift to the human race.

Here in Sweden it's pretty much the same thing. We think we are so much better than any other European country. Just look at the debate we had about joining the EU in 1994 or getting the Euro and such. The arguments are always "we know so much better than those lazy Spanish people and those corrupt Italians, why should we lower ourselves to their standards by joining the EU" and the counter argument was always "If we join EU we can affect those backwater countries and show them how much better you can do things". Or look at how everything has a "made in Sweden" sticker on it if it is possible or "designed in Sweden" if it is made in Asia. Everyone believes they are right.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zithe

@shinigami420 said:

Its becuse the Americans have been feed propoganda by the gov and the media all their life they actually belive america is the best country in earth and they are better than everyone else

Is this guy serious?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Example1013

@SeriouslyNow: I was thinking China, but I think I got it backwards. It's been a while since I heard about it, but I thought it said "exports". Maybe the thing I read said "imports", not "exports", which would be where I mixed things up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinigami420 said:

Only smart person in this thread.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#45  Edited By the8bitNacho

@shinigami420 said:

Why do the Americans celebrate themself by shooting up fireworks a chinese invention

Because we can't celebrate the American educational system's ability to instruct students on the proper use of commas.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cataphract1014
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
@shinigami420 said:

Only smart person in this thread.
No.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By JJWeatherman

@example1013 said:

Dear Britain,

Please make better food.

Love, America

Amen.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TearsInRain

Because we're America baby! 

... No I really don't know why.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shinigami420

@dagas said:

Are the Japanese any less smug about their country? They believed in WWII that they were superior and should rule all other people, so did the Germans during WWII

That is true but that was long ago i have nothing aginst Japan or Germany becuse of what they did in ww2 becuse those people are all dead and they have stoped commiting war crimes

America on the other hand is still going strong Vietnam The middels east And they are still torturing (Guantanamo)

http://www.the-philosopher.co.uk/whocares/popups/warcrimes.htm

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cataphract1014
@shinigami420 said:

@dagas said:

Are the Japanese any less smug about their country? They believed in WWII that they were superior and should rule all other people, so did the Germans during WWII

That is true but that was long ago i have nothing aginst Japan or Germany becuse of what they did in ww2 becuse those people are all dead and they have stoped commiting war crimes

America on the other hand is still going strong Vietnam The middels east And they are still torturing (Guantanamo)

http://www.the-philosopher.co.uk/whocares/popups/warcrimes.htm

So, you don't hate on germany or japan because the people are dead, but you are willing to lump all 300 million people in the US in to one group?

I don't like you.  And it all started in my thread on the starcraft forums.  You are a dick.