Why does the US celebrate itself by insulting eveyone else?

• 197 results
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By swamplord666

talking politics and national pride in a games forum. nuff said.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#102  Edited By Vinny_Says
@crusader8463: Like it or not, America has done a lot for the world over it's brief existence. It's not like they're useless Poland or something so just let it go for one day. Give them at least this before we are all owned by China and can no longer celebrate anything.
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Twisted_Scot

When any country celebrates a day that they defeated another to claim their independence then I think its pretty simple to see why some people of that country take it as a "Fuck you other country" day. Being Scottish I see people from England and Scotland going off like that toward one and other (although usually in jest about various battles or football games). Also being form a country on "the wining" side during WWII I also see many people in the UK, US & Canada making comments about the French and Germans. I think it's just a natural reaction to a large scale event in a countries history, kept alive by celebrating its anniversary every year. Although personaly I can't side with anyone who does it outside of it being a joke.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm really in no condition to question one's patriotism -- I wholeheartedly love my country, and I often get irrationally upset when someone makes a stupid 'convict-joke' or when someone dubiously acknowledges our progression.

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By VanTesla
@shinigami420
Not true at all... The Japanese are healthy in comparison to many countries, but the amount of sea food they eat has bad side effects: low sperm/reproduction count, high mercury count, certain vitamins not gained through vegetables and meat tthat are foreign, and so on.  Ofcorse every country has their positive and negatives when it comes to food sources, and adapt to it as best as they can over time. Small town villagers in Italy have a high life/health rate do to the crops and life style and many Americans have great health/life expectancy in farm/ open field lands or states that are more promoting of better life choices. You can't group a population of 300 million diverse ethnicities into one catagory, just becaus they live in the same country. The United States is diverse and each state can be verry different from it's neighbor state, but still have many similarities, just like the UK is different from England to North Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.
VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By VanTesla
@crusader8463
Your obsevation comes from the poor perspective of seeing only the loud mouth extreme right/left minority that garners the most attention out of the majority. This is the same in mostly every country and is the problem when the majority don't speak out because they are going about their lives and working hard.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By bybeach

We have the biggest dicks. Thats because we make the best dick pills. Larned that in schuul. All countries are patriotic. It can be shortened to this. We are, for the moment, the biggest tree in the forest. And if you ever read 'Sometimes a Great Notion' by Ken Kesey, you would know everyone wants to cut down that one biggest tree. Sure that tree has an attitude. Sure that tree is an asshole. And so will be the next one, and the next one after that, as the British, Chinese, and Romans, among others were in the past.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I think people are confusing patriotism and nationalism here...

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#109  Edited By citizenkane

@shinigami420 said:

Why do the Americans celebrate themself by shooting up fireworks a chinese invention

We celebrate by blowing all kinds of shit up. Fireworks just happen to be the most popular version.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#110  Edited By CastroCasper

The most patriotic thing you can do on the 4th of July is crank CCR's Fortunate Son and protest the 4th of July.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By natetodamax

I don't feel safe living in the U.S.

Just my two cents.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By dillonwerner

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By emem

@MiamiRedHawks said:

I think people are confusing patriotism and nationalism here...

Well, you can't 100% seperate them. Anyway, I think it's okay to be proud of where you are from, but sometimes people behave like idiots and act like their country is the best and all the others suck.. when that is the case it's always a bad thing, imho. Some people don't get that.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By Slaker117

National pride in general is largely stupid.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#115  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Why are Brits such horrible tourist?  Why are the French so dang French?  Why are the Germans so serious?  Why did the dingo eat the baby?
amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#116  Edited By amir90

US celebrate by blowing shit up 
Norway celebrate by doing parades :o

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By DragoonKain1687

@WilliamRLBaker said:

Dude seriously have you never experienced the attitudes of other countries? we are perfect, they suck...etc is not a uniquely american method and please dont make out that it is. Whats odd though is you didn't give a single example of how in america this is done except some websites did it....I go out get some food, hang with my family, light of a few fireworks and thats my 4th most of the time that is what most people do and I don't think you can cite a single majority of examples that Americans do what you say. If you even gave sufficient examples you'd have examples in the minority not the majority. Please dont act like we are the only ones that do such things and certainly don't make out that its in the majority.

Its true. I live in Argentina, I know my country is currently a shithole. No really, it is. An our politicians keep saying US is wrong they are evil, blah blah blah. Its part of pleasing the mob. Though a smaller part of any country is smart enough to know otherwise, and that almost every country is good, well, at least not way better that the others, governments will always do this.

Why? Because most of the population of any country has the brains of a monkey, and if you give them a banana they will dance. Be it the US, UK, Japan, Argentina, Venezuela, South Africa, etc, etc, etc.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By StaticFalconar
@crusader8463  
I really don't know what you are hoping to accomplish here. Even when we saw undeniable facts that canada was rioting, there's always people that say; thats not canada, that's just (insert some excuse here). So, I don't really know what you expect when there isn't hard evidence of what you say even. 

@crusader8463 said:
 I'm wondering why Americans tend to have this mindset and desire to insult every other country to promote their own as a means to feel better about themselves instead of just being proud of their countries accomplishments and showing them off, or if this is just a vocal minority that makes everyone else look bad by association.   The reason this always stuck out to me, is that in almost every other country when they want to be patriotic and celebrate a national holiday, like their countries equivalent to the US 4th of July, they boast about their countries good qualities and their past deeds and leave it at that. 
Got some proof that actually happens on both ends? I sure just enjoyed myself yesterday and left it at that, but did someone make a post about that? 
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Agent47
@crusader8463 said:
Put down the pitch forks and flaming torches! This is not a fuck America thread
Awwww you got me all excited oh well.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I do it jokingly, myself.  If you aren't making ridiculous patriotic bullshit claims and watching the annual Twilight Zone marathon every Fourth of July, I don't even know what to say to you.

Seriously, the rest of the world is pretty okay.  Except you, France!  You guys still aren't done apologizing for that B.S. you pulled on Jeanne d'Arc.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By jmrwacko

OP, maybe you should stop generalizing all Americans based on something you saw on a biased Canadian news station. I didn't insult another country once when celebrating July 4th, and I haven't heard anyone else insult another country on Independence Day.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#122  Edited By Thoseposers

the puerto ricans across my street were shooting fireworks off constantly this entire weekend i don't know if it was to celebrate america or just for the hell of it but i'm fine with both reasons :)

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By jmrwacko
@thoseposers said:

the puerto ricans across my street were shooting fireworks off constantly this entire weekend i don't know if it was to celebrate america or just for the hell of it but i'm fine with both reasons :)

Dude, I've talked to 3 WoW guildies, and every single one of them along with myself had Hispanic neighbors who were shooting off outrageous amounts of fireworks. Seems that Spanish people are happier to be in this country than us white people are. Or they just really like explosions.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Example1013

Dear Britain,

Also please do something about Canada. I believe they're still your responsibility.

Love, America

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By DougQuaid

You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Hellstrom

Dear Britain,

Most of us aren't even ethnicaly English anymore so eat me. 

Love, Murica.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mrangryface

@crusader8463: Don't lump us all together- we're clearly a country in the midst of internal cultural and class wars. Its complicated over here.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think about France....

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#130  Edited By MisterMouse
@shinigami420: because the US needs to proclaim that they are a trillion dollars in debt to the chinese every fourth of July!
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#131  Edited By Sooty
@Snapstacle said:

Video games, we invented them. Suck it.

Well actually the guy that is called the father of video games is German, but hey technicalities right?

Seriously who gives a shit. I could go around saying hurr durr we (Britfags) are the reason the Internet is what it is today. Which is a pretty big fucking deal but I don't, as I had no role in it so I don't see how I can brag about it.

It's funny how the 4th of July has brought out some incredibly cringeworthy fuck yeah America posts on these forums. Never have I felt that movie was more accurate. Lol.

You do make excellent bagels, though.
Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Hellstrom
@Ygg:  

But that would be wrong considering it wasn't like that. The world wide web and Internet are not synonymous. Also that "German" was an American citizen he was Jewish and his family fled Germany. There was a bulk of them that came over in that era. Hell my father's family full of swedes didn't come to the continent of North America until the 50's but they're naturalized & American citizens.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Karl_Boss

Good job overgeneralizing the American population....its better to keep some feelings to yourself and not post them on forums......also you could have worded the title better.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By warxsnake

Really? Fucking idiots on a forum fighting about who has the best country?  

...well, really I have the best of both, dual citizenship US/Canada so naaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By TehFedro
@example1013 said:

Dear Britain,

Also please do something about Canada. I believe they're still your responsibility.

Love, America

The only thing they have the power to do is sign something when we make a new law and such. Also what's that supposed to mean? Did we do something wrong?
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#136  Edited By Sooty
@Hellstrom said:
@Ygg:   But that would be wrong considering it wasn't like that. The world wide web and Internet are not synonymous. Also that "German" was an American citizen. There was a bulk of them that came over in that era. Hell my father's family full of swedes didn't come to the continent of North America until the 50's but they're naturalized & American citizens.
Yep I know that's why I edited it slightly, I know the Internet and WWW are different.

I still don't understand why people take credit for things just because their country did it. I guess I'm just not wired like that but I always feel false and quite dumb about it.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#137  Edited By Belonpopo
@shinigami420: Internet, video game, fully automatic weapons, airplanes, internet, ipods, Mega64, Queen, Star Wars, moon landing, internet, Ronald Reagan, giant bomb.
No Caption Provided
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Elazul
@jmrwacko said:
OP, maybe you should stop generalizing all Americans based on something you saw on a biased Canadian news station. I didn't insult another country once when celebrating July 4th, and I haven't heard anyone else insult another country on Independence Day.
@DougQuaid said:
You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
@Hellstrom said:
Dear Britain, Most of us aren't even ethnicaly English anymore so eat me.  Love, Murica.
With responses like these coming out of this thread I think it's probably necessary to point out that the majority of "anti-American" comments being shot around are almost certainly meant in jest. I know mine sure as hell were. You think if we really hated America we'd be posting on an American gaming site run by some of the most American (and might I add, awesome) game journalists on the face of the planet?
Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Hellstrom
@Ygg said:
@Hellstrom said:
@Ygg:   But that would be wrong considering it wasn't like that. The world wide web and Internet are not synonymous. Also that "German" was an American citizen. There was a bulk of them that came over in that era. Hell my father's family full of swedes didn't come to the continent of North America until the 50's but they're naturalized & American citizens.
Yep I know that's why I edited it slightly, I know the Internet and WWW are different.  I still don't understand why people take credit for things just because their country did it. I guess I'm just not wired like that but I always feel false and quite dumb about it.
I fully agree with you. 

I'm pro advancement. It doesn't matter which country something comes from. Its not like noone is going to share it with the other nations. Were all going to have access to this technology so its kinda stupid to be proud over something everyone has. No country can do or invent everything.
Avatar image for lonely_misanthrope
Lonely_Misanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"that was my observation from reading various 4th of July threads"

There are over 300 million of us, how many do you think posted to those threads you read?

"I'm wondering [...] if this is just a vocal minority that makes everyone else look bad by association." 

Pretty much.  The question is how big that minority is.
Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By countinhallways
@DragoonKain1687 said:

most of the population of any country has the brains of a monkey, and if you give them a banana they will dance

This post is fantastically hilarious, and rather handily, also neatly sums up my feelings on this whole matter.
Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Mike76x
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I fucking love America but I, like most of my fellow countrymen, know we can learn from the other nations of the world.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By matti00

@example1013 said:

Dear Britain,

Please make better food.

Love, America

You can't even defend against it, I fucking hate British food. Maybe it's cause my mom was never a great cook, but god damn I hate British food. I'm gonna go eat some instant noodles, cause even that shit is better.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Afroman269

@example1013 said:

Because they are shit and we are God's greatest gift to Earth?

Auxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Auxin

Your perception of the average American is not correct, so the answer is: "We don't."

Not most of us, anyways. Of course there are jerks here (and they post on the internet? imagine that!) but they would find something else to be a jerk about anyways. It's OK to be proud of the country you live in without agreeing with all of its policies or pretending like it has a clean history.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By mikey87144

Because we are essentially a product of the English and they celebrate their countries prowess by insulting other countries to.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#148  Edited By NickBOTT
@TheGreatGuero said:
Putting other people down is the American way.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Elazul
@Hellstrom: That's cool, man. I didn't mean to play moderator It's just that some of this maybe started to get a little over the top. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm half American and half British, but I really didn't like the way some of that stuff was going. It's like watching parents fighting or something.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Capum15
@shinigami420 said:

Why do the Americans celebrate themself by shooting up fireworks a chinese invention

It's simple - We love blowing shit up. It doesn't matter where it came from, if it explodes, we like it. Especially on the Fourth. Fireworks Day is a good day.

Also,
@LordXavierBritish said:
No Caption Provided

Ahahahahaha, saved.