Will you see the Warcraft movie?

• 75 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Poll Will you see the Warcraft movie? (445 votes)

Yes 33%
No 48%
I don't know 19%
 • 
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By colourful_hippie

Don't like WoW and the movie looks terrible so obviously not. I even hear from WoW fans that they think the movie looks like shit too but the difference is that they still want to watch it to experience the trainwreck

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seeing it in 2 hours time, actually. Not overly familiar with the Warcraft games but I'm a big Duncan Jones fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

God no, I rarely get to go to the movies due to having a very young child, so when I do go I like to make sure I'm not seeing crap.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll see it eventually but whether I see it in theaters or not is to be determined.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

There is a review on Rotten Tomatoes comparing Warcraft to Battlefield Earth sans unintentional humor. That is pretty harsh.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe on DVD...maybe.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed my time with WoW and I'll probably go back to level my Rogue once Legion hits however even as someone who likes the lore (my shame) I think the movie looks utterly forgettable. Doubt I'll ever see it.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In theaters? Not a chance. At like 2AM drunk on some undetermined date in the future? Likely.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I might watch it on netflix or amazon video, but I wouldn't make a trek to the theater to see it.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, already saw it yesterday (it's out in Sweden already)
Saw it because of Duncan Jones, but even with that I probably wouldn't have seen it in theatres unless a few friends asked if I wanted to come with them.
If you have no Warcraft knowledge it's a passable generic fantasy flick, with some warcraft knowledge it's fun seeing some stuff on the big screen, but not enough to make it something I'd ever watch again.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Saw it last Saturday due to movies for some reason hitting Norway and other places in Europe earlier.
Was pretty sure it would be bad, was pleasantly surprised. I am sure the more you know and care about the Warcraft lore the more you might like it. I have only really played Warcraft 2 way back in the day, and I have a passing knowledge of the races, some of the major characters and a few big things happening.
Things I did not like:
The pacing. It was kinda frantic, and I think it would actually benefit from being longer.
Kinda dour. Not much humor, and the few small gags wasn't that good. Maybe I'm just used to the humor and lighter tone in superhero-movies these days, and my brain might have gone in looking for that.

Things I did like:
It actually did everything it could to stay faithful to the source material while also trying to make it into an entertaining movie. Not many "video game movies" have done that I feel.
The way magic was depicted was cool as hell.

I'd say it is worth seeing, as my girlfriend though it was fine as well and she has no idea about Warcraft whatsoever. But it will help if you care about the lore I bet, it will at least make it easier to follow. A lot of names and concepts being thrown at you.

I also think it is really funny seeing people trying to be "better" by not watching it and generally dismiss it out of hand.

@bartok: That is way too harsh, as Battlefield Earth is a steaming pile of shit while Warcraft was at worst decent.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jaqen_hghar: Apparently the director's cut is 40 minutes longer.

I'll definitely see it. Curious both because it's a fuckin Warcraft movie and also because it's a Duncan Jones movie.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah because it's Warcraft and it's based on the part of the lore where it was an RTS

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@theht: Which makes me kinda hyped to see that version. I didn't like it enough to watch it on the big screen more than once, but if it has the 40 extra minutes when it hit the stores I am going to buy that.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but more out of support for Duncan Jones, than Warcraft. Personally I find the idea of making movies out of video games, is silly.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe on video someday, maybe. Was obsessed with the franchise for many years, but it looks like too little, too late. It simply doesn't look like a good movie from the trailers, and should have come out in like 2012 at the latest. I'm all for watching crappy movies, I'm chomping at the bit to rent Gods of Egypt at Redbox for instance. So I like dumb and bad movies, but I wasn't addicted to Egyptian mythology for the better part of my twenties so I'm not sensitive about pandering to Egyptologists. It just doesn't look good enough to break through the frame I've put around my nostalgia.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aktivity

I cannot muster the will to watch that movie. The Orcs look decent, but every-time a human shows up in a WoW armor I just shrug and lose all interest.
That stuff does not translate well to live-action.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I'm seeing the new TMNT movie so of course I'm seeing Warcraft. I thrive on shitty blockbusters.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monkeyking1969
@toxeia said:

@monkeyking1969: Damn, you won't even spring for streaming HD?

Hell, I'll borrow it from a public library so they won't even get the trickle down money from a Netflix contract. So, they get nothing. NOTHING!!! They lose! GOOD DAY, TO THEM SIR! [returns to work]

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If it is ever on Netflix or someone paid for my ticket, I would consider it. Hopefully it will be fun dumb and not boring dumb.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, even though I play wow I don't care one bit for the lore and having real humans mixed in with the super cartoony art style of warcraft looks super weird.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably, unless there's something better coming out that weekend I would rather watch. I wasn't too impressed by the trailers thus far and I never really got into the games but I'm willing to give it a shot.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seen it yesterday - I didn't think it was terrible, the best I can say about it was that it was OK.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By gundogan

Yes, although I don't think it will be good. I still feel that it should've been 100% CGI. The trailers with the faithful looking Orcs and the real humans look weird.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Maluvin

I'll probably watch it when it comes out for rental. The trailers aren't drawing me to the theater but I'm curious how they handled this really weird project and I have a lot of love and appreciation for Duncan Jones.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ill wait till it's on Netflix or similar, and then maybe.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before the trailers started rolling up, I had an "Ah ha" moment where I realized that I wanted a fantasy movie that didn't devote time to CG armies running into CG armies (maybe it was Hobbit fatigue). And then the trailers came out, and it looked like "Helicopter Aerial Shots of Armies Forming colon The Motion Picture".

I don't have any real link to the franchise (I checked out somewhere along the second game's expansions), but I'm holding out a glimmer of hope that it's Not Terrible. Also, good or bad, I think it will be the sort of film that will benefit from seeing it on the biiiiiiiig screen in a place with nice speakers.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By UlquioKani

Just got back from it. Not very good, I'd say it's bad. It has shallow but likable characters, a nice look and even a sense of humor. The overarching plot isn't bad either.

Unfortunately, it tells it's tale so poorly. There are too many characters and the interesting ones are not given enough screen time. As a result, none of the characters have time to truly develop so when character moments do happen, they don't have any weight and in some cases don't make much sense. Also, the movie refuses to sit still even for a moment. It feels like it's worried that it's going to bore you so most scenes don't last very long and keep cutting to things happening in different places in the world. The result is a film that feels really incohesive.

Fights weren't bad.

I'd give it like a 2/5.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#33 gamer_152  Moderator

Like a lot of other people, I might see it further down the line on Netflix or something. Even then I'd probably have to be in a state where I didn't care much what I was watching. I keep seeing people say they expect the film to be bad, but are going to see it in cinemas anyway and that feels like a real good way to encourage studios to put out films we don't like, but that fly because they have the right brand name on them.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most likely scenario where I end up seeing this movie is if it gets the RiffTrax treatment.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ripelivejam

Answered yes only cause i'll be destined to see it eventually I'm sure. But I probably won't go out of my way to see it.

also from what i'm hearing seems like duncan jones is a pretty inconsistent director, or maybe just got lucky with Moon.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm a regular WoW player, and Warcraft/Blizzard fan, and nah, I'm good. Admittedly I have little knowledge of the setting of the film, having never played anything pre-Warcraft 3 (I'm fine with this, too.), but nothing about it seems interesting enough for me to care.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely going to see it. Even if it's bad, I still want to see it for myself. And I'll see pretty much anything Duncan Jones does.

@ripelivejam: Source Code wasn't that bad, I thought it was a pretty solid sci-fi thriller, I just didn't like the ending all that much. I'm really excited to see him do another sci-fi movie after Warcraft though, the things he's revealed so far about Mute as well as the cast that has been announced has me excited.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FrostyRyan

Why on earth would I watch that

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Probably, but only when it gets put up on Netflix or something, as others have said.

Roland_Leshaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if its in D-Box sure. ill watch anything in D-Box

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's getting shit on by critics, but I'm a fan of Jones and a lot of fans of Warcraft have very positive things to say. It seems my worries of it only appealing to fans of the games are true. I'll drag my girlfriend and see what she thinks though.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@lackluster: I'm sure she won't like that. But she might enjoy the movie though.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't see myself ever checking it out tbh. Moon is one of my favourite films but based on reviews this sounds like crap. I despise films like The Hobbit and LOTR's too /

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at some point sure, but I'm not going to theater.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't get over how cheesy it looks. The costumes look like cosplay, and they don't blend in with the CGI stuff at all. I'm really bummed that Duncan Jones appears to have gotten in over his head with this. I really really liked Moon. I hope this doesn't kill his career. It just doesn't look good.

If anyone sees it they should report back on it. Actually I really want one of the Giant Bomb crew to go see it and talk about it on a podcast.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By penguindust

I'll wait for the blu-ray. I'm not paying theater-money to see it. It looks dumb. I say that as someone who was addicted to WOW for 2-1/2 years, though that might be part of the problem. Perhaps I'd be more interested if there were more blood elves dancing naked on mailboxes and gnomes riding motorcycles and such.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really know. Most people seem to say that if you're a fan of this series you will enjoy it being on the big screen, but I haven't played any Warcraft games ever and have no idea what is going on storywise and critics both professional and fans of the game say that if you don't know anything before hand, it's kind of a clusterfuck of information being thrown at you with no coherency.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I mean its a video game movie so in the spirit of TANG I some sort of obligation to do so.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Absolutely I will. Warcraft was too large a piece of my life for awhile for me not to. Even if it's a disaster, I still have to know.