Would you play a story driven game if the lead character was homosexual (gay/lesbian) ?

• 141 results
NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By NickBOTT

Why not?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Akyho

What do you mean? My Shepard has almost had gay sex and both characters in Dragon Age origins and 2 met Zevran and just ended up bonking.........and these are my own male decisions......I AM NOT GAY! However If a guy talks to me nice......

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SmilingPig

Fear Effect was a great serie (well 2 games anyway) and the maine character was a lesbian.

In metal gear snake eater I think that Raiden was gay ... and the title is king of sugestive.

And Lara croft is a lesbian (at lease in my durty mind).

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By l4wd0g

What's the point of making a gay, other than to say "we have a gay character" It should be a character trait, not a character arc.

Yes, I would With the caveat not a dating sim, or if it had graphic sex.

Now, how many people played Dragon Age with a male/female character who had the potential of being gay or bi?

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By chrissedoff

i already have, in dragon age 2!

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TorMasturba

As long as they don't shove two homosexuals enjoying each other in my face then sure, why not?

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Yeah, why not?

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By MannyMAR

As long as the story/game-play are good and the character's sexuality isn't completely shoved in my face (Ie. overly flamboyant, scenes of graphic sex, and stuff like that) then I'm alright with it.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By s10129107

I've played every Devil May Cry game

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By TomA

Another one of these eh?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By 49th

If it's a fun game and they don't shove it in my face then sure. I don't really want to watch gay sex scenes though.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By StingerMK2

@Slaker117 said:

I would play a video game starring Omar Little, yes.
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Rudyftw

@morrelloman said:

I said yes but the better question is How Gay would a main character have to be to make you not play?

A) Kind of Gay

B) Really Really Gay

C) Super Duper Gay

D) Adam Lambert

Exactly. I'm guessing he meant Adam Lambert gay, so I said no.

Also, if it was a woman she can be any gay. Even Charlize Theron from Monster gay.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#65  Edited By spazmaster666

Why should I care so much about the sexuality of the main character? Characters in video games aren't defined by their sexualities, just as real-life people are not defined by their sexualities (or at least they shouldn't be).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AlexW00d

I wouldn't play one specifically because of a gay character, but then I wouldn't not play one due to it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Nottle

I find it very odd that people are making "I've played 'game X' SO YEAH" jokes. Isn't it stereo typing when you say a character is gay just from the way they look?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Animasta

@Nottle said:

I find it very odd that people are making "I've played 'game X' SO YEAH" jokes. Isn't it stereo typing when you say a character is gay just from the way they look?

well in persona 2: IS the main character has 3 romance options, one of them a dude (though he is a little stereotypical), and of course I'ma romance him

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HisDudeness

Yeah, I would.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DeF

I did, it was called Dragon Age: Origins. In Dragon Age 2 my Hawke was bisexual, trying out a lot of different stuff.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By nickb64

If the story was good, I probably would, why not?

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By david3cm

Dude, I think most of the people here have already played Arkham City.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By Tireyo

Don't matter to me. In The Sims 3, the Sims turn gay on their own. So probably yes!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Evilsbane

If the entire focus of the game is that character being gay, no thanks but on the flip side if the entire focus of the character is them being straight or bi or whatever it is more than likely a game I have 0 interest in anyways if the main character just Happens to be gay I could care less.

robdburrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By robdburrows

In the end it is the content of the character that matters. Lets look at Auron, one of my favourite characters from FFX. For all intensive purposes, he could be (though it is never mentioned) heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual and it would not change who the character is. This is because sexuality is not what completely defines the person, but is just a part of the rich tapestry of who they are. I think the real question pertains to how poorly a depiction of a homosexual individual would you tolerate in your game. Lets look at Makoto from Enchanted Arms. Please keep in mind that I have not completed this game so there might be some reason for depicting the character like this. However, Makoto is a male character with stereotypical male homosexual mannerisms and speech patterns. He also seems to add little to the early story other than his intense fascination with Toya. Makoto comes off as a one dimensional character, one that is only about his sexuality. It would be like if they made a game about Ivy from Soul Calibur and made it purely about her sexuality without developing much more. This would be a poor story of a female character, much like Makoto comes off in Enchanted Arms.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NegativeCero

Yeah, but I would rather it not be what defines that character, but just one aspect of him or her. Basically if the writers are good, I'd be okay with whatever.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Dany

I already have. Both my Shepards are gay in Mass Effect.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#78  Edited By Xeiphyer

Most protagonists could be gay, its not like their sexuality is ever discussed in most games. 

Mario is probably gay, I mean, he saves that princess over and over but never gets any. He's probably just doing it for the reward money. Same goes for Link actually.

Now, if they're super flaming gay talking with a lisp and insisting everything be rainbow coloured or something, I probably wont play that. Not because of any homophobia, but simply because that would be annoying and probably not a lot of fun to play. If you can offer a compelling experience that benefits from that type of character, then i'll definitely give it a try though.

I guess the larger issue is why does it matter, and what is it offering the player? If you want to have romance in the game and offer up homo and hetero-sexual choices and deliver compelling experiences around that, then i'm all for it, but personally I don't think a game would benefit from being strictly homosexual, nor from strictly heterosexual, unless there's a story to be told. That being said, I am inclined to prefer a heterosexual character because I am of similar persuasion.

So, yes, if there's a reason for it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#79  Edited By citizenkane

I already stated my opinion in the other thread, so I will again summarize it in one picture: 

IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By IchiroYagiza

If the story and gameplay are good, then sure.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gay.

But really I would. I don't see how it'd impact the story/gameplay all that much.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Buscemi

What does the sexuality have to do with the story? If it has something do do with the story, sure, but why would I care about the sexuality if it isn't an integral part of the game?

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#83  Edited By Bigheart711

Yes.

I wouldn't mind as long as the story and gameplay are good.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#84  Edited By jgf

I always like to choose characters that I can identify with. So they should be somehow similar to myself or at least similar to what I would like to be. Thats why I do not really like playing as a women or in this case as a gay man. I'm absolutely fine when a game gives you the choice, like in Mass Effect. And if the game is really good I think I would play it never the less, but I certainly would like it more with a male non-gay character.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NakAttack

Sure.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By intro

Yes.

Assuming that it isn't a stereotypical, flamboyant gay guy that's normally portrayed on TV shows.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Nottle

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

well in persona 2: IS the main character has 3 romance options, one of them a dude (though he is a little stereotypical), and of course I'ma romance him

That's fine. Your not making up anything. And that main dude is just kind of anime inspired. I can't point to anything about him that is stereotypical. It's more the "I PLAYED FINAL FANTASY" or "I PLAYED DEVIL MAY CRY." Cause you know, Tidus, Dante, Cecil, Cloud (ok you can date Barret but from what i remember it is awkward), Squall, Xidane, and Vaan all look girly, and totally don't have female leads that one could at least assume they have feelings for, THEY MUST BE GAY!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d48c59b057e6
deactivated-5d48c59b057e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yep.

Not quite sure why this warrants discussion.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By Synthballs

Well, when I do my usual thing of calling my character a faggot for dying or something, it will have more meaning I suppose.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By swoxx

Fuck yeah I love lesbians!

@kingzetta said:

So you mean every time I play as a lady in a Bethesda or Bioware game?

Exactly this, which is every time.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

My Skyrim character is a lesbian.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By tunaburn

if the game was good. and wasnt completely focused on him being a fruit.... then i would play it for sure

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By CaptainCody

Shit, where is my , "this thread again." picture folder!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#95  Edited By BaneFireLord

If you count my Fallout New Vegas character who slept with literally everyone who was available, I've already played a story driven game with a lesbian main character. No problem. 
However, I would not play a game if the sole purpose of it was to emphasize time and time again that the main character is gay, look how groundbreaking this is, just as I wouldn't play a game that repeatedly beat you over the head with a message in lieu of actually being a game.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By roborobb

Why have there been so many questions recently regarding Homosexuality?

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#97  Edited By KillyDarko

There was a poll just like this a while back and I guess I'm gonna give pretty much the same answer: if I don't mind playing as a girl in a good game, I also wouldn't mind playing a gay in an equally good game. Seems obvious to me.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By predator

I already play my RPG's like this since I'm pan. And please give me homo sex scenes and even flamboyant, I don't mind.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By EvilTwin

Say rather that a gay lead character wouldn't stop me from playing a game I was interested in.

A gay lead character doesn't make me want to play a game any more than a straight lead character, but neither would it be a deterrent.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By RsistncE

This is a stupid question. In reality I don't give a shit about the sexual orientation of the character; however, if the game was trying to shove the sexuality of the character in my face all the time (whether they are gay or straight), that's definitely a negative and would affect my desire to play the game.