Would You Shoot An Innocent Person For A Billion Dollars?

• 413 results
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yes sir.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#202  Edited By FireBurger
@Suicrat: Dude, it was an either-or question and I answered it. Yes, if I could convince him to spare the man's life and put the money to good use, then obviously that would be the choice. It would also be great if someone that evil couldn't come into a billion dollars. But, I answered the question as posed and chose what I think makes the best of the posed situation. As simple as that.
Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#203  Edited By Blueman

For the people saying no, think of it this way.  You could set up your family forever, your kids, your kids kids and so on. They would get the best educations and the best possible start in life. You could have all this just for shooting one person who you don't even know.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By rflx
@Sadisticham said:
" @rflx: Pretty sure you underestimate greed. We're talking a billion dollars here. I think most saying no and taking the high road would do it given the chance. Look at the world around you. Dog eat dog. People shit on other people all the time for less than a billion dollars. And if you're not looking out for yourself you'll probably get walked all over. So I certainly would. I'm not a religious guy, I don't believe I'm going to be judged for my actions in another life and I'm not a beliver of Karma and all that nonsense either. I think i have one life and then that's it so make the most of it. I also think if the tables where turned the guy would shoot me. So yes I'll shoot him and I'll take the money. "
One thing is to sit here and contemplate the situation and try to apply reason to the action. It is a whole other thing to actually be in such a situation. That's my point. And I stand by my guesstimate that most of the people who think they would do it if they were in that situation, wouldn't be able to do it.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#205  Edited By mutha3
@crusader8463 said:

" Beside the fact that no one is truly innocent, 

That is a pretty retarded point of view.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#206  Edited By crusader8463
@mutha3 said:
" @crusader8463 said:

That is a pretty retarded point of view. "
And why is that? Everyone does bad things at some point in their life. The only difference is how bad what they did was.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#207  Edited By Meowayne

Yes, without hesitation.

Edit: Also this:

I think most saying no and taking the high road would do it given the chance.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Turambar

The fact that Yes is in the lead here is fucking sad and demoralizing.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#209  Edited By izzygraze

I'm not sure. I voted yes, because well...a billion dollars. I would never have money problems again and I could do a lot of good with that money.

Would I actually do it though? It depends. If it's a family member then no, if I knew the person then probably not, is the person going to live if I say no? If so then I might say no.

If the person is someone I have never met then I'd want to make sure I got the money. This kind of deal seems very much like "Hahaha, you killed him! Now I will kill YOU!" or "You killed him! Money? What money?".  Then I have to know whether or not the person will be blind-folded. I'm not sure I could kill someone if they were staring me straight in the eyes.

If I didn't know them, I was guaranteed the money, and they were blind-folded then I would probably kill them. I would replay that moment over and over again for the rest of my days...but a billion? I'd probably do it.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By mutha3
@crusader8463 said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @crusader8463 said:

That is a pretty retarded point of view. "
And why is that? Everyone does bad things at some point in their life. The only difference is how bad what they did was.
Um, no.

Unless you consider something as banal as bragging to your friends about a fish you caught or lying to be''bad things'' . Which by itself is pretty retarded.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#211  Edited By jakob187
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" As we all know from the Twilight Zone, you would end up being the innocent person.  "

Good point. 

Going with the assumption that this is not the case, however... 

...yes.  Sorry, but a billion dollars can be used to save quite a few other lives.  One person's life for many others? Sure. 

What?  I never said I'd be using the billion dollars for myself.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Meowayne

It's hilarious to read this thread keeping in mind the hours of suffering and pain everyone of us supports by buying cheap clothes or any sort of consumer electronics. 

Stop denying your egocentrism, man.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By HellBrendy

Would you die to make some guilty dude rich?

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

No.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By NTM

No. That's horrible. I'd rather burn the money and save a life than shoot and kill a person to get it. It's terrible that more people than less here would do it. Most people lead a very sad life -shakes head-. Nowww, you said just shoot. I'll shoot em' sure, if I don't kill them. Thanks for not elaborating on what you really meant.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By HandsomeDead

Seeing all the weak willed humanists trying to the moral high ground in this thread is embarrassing.

Dick_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Dick_Viper

I don't need a billion dollars, I am Dick_Viper. 

Being Dick_Viper is like being a billionaire, as I posse such great powers and have this legacy of being a internet legend. 

Don't mess with the Viper.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By gamefreak9

lol this is an interesting poll, i wonder if this high percentage is only here because this is a gaming forum, like would another kind have different results?

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#219  Edited By obcdexter
@NTM said:
" No. That's horrible. I'd rather burn the money and save a life than shoot and kill a person to get it. It's terrible that more people than less here would do it. Most people lead a very sad life -shakes head-. Nowww, you said just shoot. I'll shoot em' sure, if I don't kill them. Thanks for not elaborating on what you really meant. "
This is exactly my opinion. 
For no money in the world would I actually kill somebody.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

You could help a lot of people with $1,000,000,000.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#221  Edited By Suicrat
@FireBurger: In other words, you answered from the standpoint of utilitarianism, and my little diatribe was to criticize that standpoint -- equally simple as that.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Sadisticham said:
" @rflx: Pretty sure you underestimate greed. We're talking a billion dollars here. I think most saying no and taking the high road would do it given the chance. Look at the world around you. Dog eat dog. People shit on other people all the time for less than a billion dollars. And if you're not looking out for yourself you'll probably get walked all over. So I certainly would. I'm not a religious guy, I don't believe I'm going to be judged for my actions in another life and I'm not a beliver of Karma and all that nonsense either. I think i have one life and then that's it so make the most of it. I also think if the tables where turned the guy would shoot me. So yes I'll shoot him and I'll take the money. "
If everybody thought like you the world would be a crappy place.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#223  Edited By Hailinel
@HandsomeDead said:
" Seeing all the weak willed humanists trying to the moral high ground in this thread is embarrassing. "
Better than being a greed-fueled sociopath.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By btman

Yes.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Hailinel said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Seeing all the weak willed humanists trying to the moral high ground in this thread is embarrassing. "
Better than being a greed-fueled sociopath. "
It really isn't.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Suicrat
@HandsomeDead said:
Actually, you'd have to be a strong-willed humanist in order to say no and mean it.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#227  Edited By meteora

What? Fuck yes. 

The title doesn't even say "kill". Just shoot the person in the goddamn leg and call the ambulance.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#228  Edited By StarFoxA
@HandsomeDead: So having a conscience is considered weak now? Deciding against ending a person's life is "weak?" I think you need to reconsider your definition of weak.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By RE_Player1

I would shoot them in the leg...

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#230  Edited By Rockdalf

Just to put things into a little bit of perspective, the GDP of Madagascar is 9.46 Billion and consists of a population of over 19 million.

By killing this person and supplementing it evenly into this country, you could improve the standard of living by more than 10%.  How many lives do you think that would save, when people couldn't afford food or medicine or proper housing.  If you posted fliers in an impoverished country with the man's face that needed to be killed, the man who came back with his head and a billion dollars for his country would be heralded as a hero, not a murderer.

You might say it's naive that I would kill for a billion dollars and am under the impression that the money would justify the death, but maybe that's because you have food on your table and a roof over your head.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#231  Edited By obcdexter

would you read the first post before spouting nonsense for a mere "Thank You"?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By HandsomeDead
@StarFoxA said:
" @HandsomeDead: So having a conscience is considered weak now? Deciding against ending a person's life is "weak?" I think you need to reconsider your definition of weak. "
If conscience is putting the life of someone you know nothing about ahead of making your own life better, then yeah, it's weak because you're taking the easy way out.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#233  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I can't even bring myself to kill fictional characters in videogames, how am I supposed to kill a real person? 

No.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Suicrat
@Rockdalf said:
" Just to put things into a little bit of perspective, the GDP of Madagascar is 9.46 Billion and consists of a population of over 19 million.  By killing this person and supplementing it evenly into this country, you could improve the standard of living by more than 10%.  How many lives do you think that would save, when people couldn't afford food or medicine or proper housing.  If you posted fliers in an impoverished country with the man's face that needed to be killed, the man who came back with his head and a billion dollars for his country would be heralded as a hero, not a murderer.  You might say it's naive that I would kill for a billion dollars and am under the impression that the money would justify the death, but maybe that's because you have food on your table and a roof over your head. "
All that would do is temporarily inflate their purchasing power, only to have it slip back. If the billion dollars are not actually met by any increase in productivity, then there is no net gain, just more paper to go around.
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#235  Edited By Castiel

NO

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#236  Edited By Castiel
@Canberra said:
"

No amount of money is worth a human life.

You’re taking away everything that person has or ever will have.

"
That doesn't sound like something Daniel Plainview would say ;)
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Rockdalf
@Suicrat said:
" @Rockdalf said:
" Just to put things into a little bit of perspective, the GDP of Madagascar is 9.46 Billion and consists of a population of over 19 million.  By killing this person and supplementing it evenly into this country, you could improve the standard of living by more than 10%.  How many lives do you think that would save, when people couldn't afford food or medicine or proper housing.  If you posted fliers in an impoverished country with the man's face that needed to be killed, the man who came back with his head and a billion dollars for his country would be heralded as a hero, not a murderer.  You might say it's naive that I would kill for a billion dollars and am under the impression that the money would justify the death, but maybe that's because you have food on your table and a roof over your head. "
All that would do is temporarily inflate their purchasing power, only to have it slip back. If the billion dollars are not actually met by any increase in productivity, then there is no net gain, just more paper to go around. "
But my point still stands (which was not addressed) that a billion dollars could be used to save hundreds of thousands of lives.  Just not by throwing it in the streets out of the back of a golf cart.
Kratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Kratch

I don't believe in Heaven or Hell or anything like that, but I think I would probably end up feeling like shit after murdering an innocent person.  I'd end up spending all that money on expensive drugs.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead:  You aren't by any chance Andrew Ryan are you? In all seriousness, there is absolutely no justification for saying yes. Money doesn't last forever, but the memory of what you have done does. I wont break out any religious explanations either because the general internet population are proud atheists, but I think ANYONE who would actually do it deserves the worst most torturous eternal damnation possible.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Rockdalf
@President_Barackbar said:
" @HandsomeDead:  You aren't by any chance Andrew Ryan are you? In all seriousness, there is absolutely no justification for saying yes. Money doesn't last forever, but the memory of what you have done does. I wont break out any religious explanations either because the general internet population are proud atheists, but I think ANYONE who would actually do it deserves the worst most torturous eternal damnation possible. "
By not taking this money and using it you are damning the lives of people you could've saved.  The homeless man you saw on the street froze to death because you didn't have the money to help him. 
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rockdalf:  I stand by what I said. There is NO JUSTIFICATION in the world that would get me to change my mind.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Hot_Karl

Kill one life to save hundreds or maybe thousands? I'd be wrecked to make such a difficult choice, but obviously I'd do what's best for the majority of people. Besides, the fallen one could be seen as a savior to people. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#243  Edited By Dalai

No, I wouldn't shoot him. I'd wanna do something more dastardly like smear honey on him and throw him in a bear pit. Or slowly dip him feet first into a vat of sulfuric acid. 

Wait a minute, what the fuck am I thinking? No I wouldn't kill him!

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Suicrat
@Rockdalf said:

" @Suicrat said:

" @Rockdalf said:
All that would do is temporarily inflate their purchasing power, only to have it slip back. If the billion dollars are not actually met by any increase in productivity, then there is no net gain, just more paper to go around. "
But my point still stands (which was not addressed) that a billion dollars could be used to save hundreds of thousands of lives.  Just not by throwing it in the streets out of the back of a golf cart. "
Actually, it was addressed. A temporary lift in purchasing power of (foreign) goods will not save hundreds of thousands of lives in Madagascar. Ultimately a dollar is nothing other than a promissory note to pay taxes, it does not convey any value unless backed by a commensurate increase in productivity. Giving a country more paper to circulate will not necessarily increase anyone's productivity, at least not in the endeavours that will save imperiled human life. Don't believe me? Look at your country's employment numbers as cheap credit becomes more and more widely available with each passing day.

The people who answer yes and are arguing 'for the greater good' are doing nothing more than committing the broken window fallacy.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By HandsomeDead
@President_Barackbar: Nothing lasts forever. Memories can fade and when you're dead, you lose both but you may as well make your own life as good as possible if the only drawback is having to shoot Joe Bloggs. Think about the things you could accomplish with a billion dollars compared to the things the average person can do. Similarly, I don't believe in Heaven or Hell but would I really still be eternally punished if I'd lived my life to the full or helped all kinds of other people? If so, I'm so glad I'm not part of that belief system.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By ryanwho

I would press a button to passively kill someone for like a thousand dollars. Most people aren't capable of directly killing regardless of the circumstance.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Suicrat
@VinceNotVance said:

" Kill one life to save hundreds or maybe thousands? I'd be wrecked to make such a difficult choice, but obviously I'd do what's best for the majority of people. Besides, the fallen one could be seen as a savior to people.  "

And hundreds of years later, the other tribe that honours the other guy who was killed for the other billion dollars decides to wage holy war on your tribe for martyring the wrong man for the wrong billion dollars.

I want someone to show how taking a billion paper dollars (which would have been circulated into the economy some other way, regardless. Even if the 'rightful' owner of it was robbed) would actually make the world a better place than keeping this innocent person alive to produce, trade, and share the wealth he'd be capable of producing. Remember folks, we're not talking about koku or some other food-based currency; we're talking about fiat currency which is only backed by the use of force, and not any valuable commodity or finished product.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By beforet

Nope

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead:  Uh yeah, it is bad to want to end someone else's life to make yours better. The reason a religion would find it bad is that you are basically killing someone else so you can personally do the good, which is still an ego thing (you would rather take the easy way out to do something yourself rather than let humanity run its natural course). It's not perfect, but its more than adequate. It all boils down to one thing, YOU DON'T KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#250  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

In a second.  I'd shoot them in the leg or arm and give them several million dollars to not call the cops.