You should know about what's happening in Ferguson.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

This entire situation is truly terrible.

For what it's worth, I live in Missouri, and watching my local news this morning, there was not a word about this on there whatsoever. They did show video of a moose that stumbled onto someones yard and lay down on a sprinkler, so they are covering the real shit, at least!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By Justin258

"Taking sides" is not the right way to go about this. There are probably policemen doing their jobs as well as policemen using this opportunity for violence (whether it's fueled by racial tension or just by a desire to hurt someone, I can't say). And there are probably protesters using this opportunity to peacefully protest police brutality and calling for better handling of the situation, while other "protesters" are using this opportunity to incite violence, start riots, and go looting. I seriously doubt that either side is, in full, guilty or not guilty, and pointing at one as "the ones to blame" just makes your prejudices more clear.

I do, however, agree that the press should be allowed closer inspection of this. Granted, the press would probably just use it to get more people to watch their show, but at least we could have a better picture of what's going on if we monitored different news sites.

In any case, it's an ugly situation all around.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By spraynardtatum

Those police look like fucking Helghast. This whole thing is outrageous. They need to release the tapes so there can be a clearer examination of what really happened instead of just he-said police-said.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By stonyman65

"Taking sides" is not the right way to go about this. There are probably policemen doing their jobs as well as policemen using this opportunity for violence (whether it's fueled by racial tension or just by a desire to hurt someone, I can't say). And there are probably protesters using this opportunity to peacefully protest police brutality and calling for better handling of the situation, while other "protesters" are using this opportunity to incite violence, start riots, and go looting. I seriously doubt that either side is, in full, guilty or not guilty, and pointing at one as "the ones to blame" just makes your prejudices more clear.

I do, however, agree that the press should be allowed closer inspection of this. Granted, the press would probably just use it to get more people to watch their show, but at least we could have a better picture of what's going on if we monitored different news sites.

In any case, it's an ugly situation all around.

Honestly I think the press is largely irrelevant at this point. Usually when things like this happen you tend to learn more from people on the ground via Twitter, Facebook and Reddit. The press can be very deceiving sometimes, but it's hard to do that when you have video and photos of it live as it was happening. Keep an eye out online and at local levels. Don't worry about with that national/mainstream news is doing until everything can be verified locally.

But yeah, that stuff is getting nasty. I hope cooler head can prevail and end the situation before more people get hurt, or even worse someone gets killed. Comparing this to what happened in LA during the Rodney King riots, what's happening in Ferguson right now isn't too far off.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By stonyman65

Those police look like fucking Helghast. This whole thing is outrageous. They need to release the tapes so there can be a clearer examination of what really happened instead of just he-said police-said.

That's kind of the problem here... Ferguson PD doesn't have dash cams in their cruisers so there is no video. Until the FBI can investigate, there isn't much information out there. It's gonna take a while until we know something solid.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the shit kinda opposition were the cops expecting with that kind of gear?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

It's seriously insane.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By conmulligan

@believer258 said:

Holding the police — who are supposed to be trained to handle these kinds of situations with restraint — to a higher standard than grieving and emotional protestors is not taking a side.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

It's seriously insane.

Yeah, they've got more gear and weapons than most of our Soldiers and Marines do overseas in a warzone, as EpicSteve mentioned. It's crazy. I understand having a SWAT team or something like that, but this is just fucking insane.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jesus_phish: From what I hear, they are interested in covering it, the (I hesitate to call them) law enforcement are making that extremely difficult.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

Holding the police — who are supposed to be trained to handle these kinds of situations with restraint — to a higher standard than grieving and emotional protestors is not taking a side.

There's a difference between "grieving and emotional protestors" and "fuckers who just want to use the opportunity to loot and riot". As I said, it seems like both kinds of people are involved. In any case, throwing molotov cocktails is inexcusable, police brutality or not.

@spraynardtatum said:

@stonyman65: Well I'm glad you cleared that up. Hey everybody! We don't need to bring up slavery ever again! It's a non issue now!

Who are you to say that?

A Native American. You don't hear me talking about Native American genocide, do you?

Slavery was wrong no doubt, but that was so far in the past I fail to see how that affects things today over 100 years later. Like I said, if you want to talk about the treatment of blacks and other minorities during the pre and post-civil rights era that's relevant to the discussion, but slavery is a little far-fetched.

On this note, however, things like being enslaved for a few centuries tend to have effects that also last for a few centuries. When slaves were freed, most of them remained poor, extremely poor, and they were uneducated. Things like that tend to be cyclical - poor, uneducated parents often leads to poor, uneducated children who grow up to be poor, uneducated parents. On top of that, remember that for most of the twentieth century, there were still "Whites only" signs on everything and the KKK still committed violent acts against African Americans, making it that much more difficult to break out of the same cycle. These things have scaled down but still happen. Yeah, I'd say that racial tension in America has everything to do with this country's former practice of slavery.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@nev said:

This entire situation is truly terrible.

For what it's worth, I live in Missouri, and watching my local news this morning, there was not a word about this on there whatsoever. They did show video of a moose that stumbled onto someones yard and lay down on a sprinkler, so they are covering the real shit, at least!

I hope that you are considering never watching that news outlet again. They need viewers to make money and if you don't watch their bullshit then they won't produce such bullshit.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like a story where two sides behaving incredibly stupidly and the internet mobs are rushing to snap decisions, largely on the lines of preexisting political biases. Generally liberal and don't like cops? You are probably siding with protesters. Generally conservative and believe in "strong law enforcement"? You probably think the guy had it coming, and the cops have behaved appropriately.

For all we know at this point, the police officer may have shot the man in a perfectly legal manner, right? If he is in fact telling the truth and the guy reached for his gun the cop can't be expected to do anything else. However, the protesters surrendered the moral high ground when all the riots began. When convenience stores are being burned to the ground or otherwise completely vandalized, what kind of gear do you expect the cops to come out in the next day? They dressed appropriately for the job. That doesn't excuse their behavior. It's totally fucked how the cops are behaving like the Gestapo and arresting journalists.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By mike

I just had to delete a bunch of posts that had some off topic arguing, racism, personal attacks, and more. I'm too exhausted to worry about issuing about 6 or 7 separate warnings, but if this trend continues the next step is going to be to simply close the topic.

If you can't keep the discussion on topic and be civil to one another, then don't even bother posting. There are plenty of other places on the internet where people are free to be shitty to one another, and this isn't one of them. Thanks.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Cops are effectively above the law and equipped with military hardware. DAs protect the cops and generally refuse or avoid prosecuting them. Judges project the DAs.

Cops get military hardware and trained in an Us vs. Them patrol mentality.

Cops murder innocent bystanders and unarmed, fleeing suspects regularly. I guess people are finally getting a little upset over it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hailinel said:

I've been on and off Twitter following this since I got off of work. It's actually pretty sad, but predictable, that Twitter has served as a better news source for what's going on in Ferguson than any of the so-called major news networks. It's just a horrid mess of a situation that keeps threatening to get worse, the media isn't reporting it properly, and no one with any authority above the Ferguson police department is willing to step in to bring order. (And by "order" I mean "stop an over-equipped police force from holding a municipality hostage".)

It sounds like it's not entirely the fault of big media on this one. Members of the press, from multiple sources, have been reporting that they have been threatened with arrest or already have if they try to video tape what is happening in the area. Also the police force recently ordered that all satellite trucks belonging to any media source move out of the city or be subject to arrest. In fact the police force shot tear gas at Al Jazeera, and then proceeded to dismantle their video equipment after the film crew fled.

It's just insane what's happening there. I have no other words to describe it.

Also, apparently Anonymous has leaked the name of the officer that shot Mike Brown. I won't state it here, as I'm sure it'll spread like fire on its own. Suffice it to say, I would not want to be him right now.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I saw this being talked about a lot on twitter. I'm really not the biggest fan if protests though I don't hate them either. And this one sounds justified. But it always leads to violence because there's always some people there who just want to see shit destroyed and could care less for any cause. Case and point, on the BBC I saw a protester holding a Molotov Cocktail with the caption 'reports of multiple protesters throwing Molotov Cocktails at police'.

Could the police be handling this better? Absolutely. Their aggressive posturing and actions are just increasing tension. But it's not that black and white either. So when I see people on Twitter or elsewhere condemning police or protesters I just want to shake my head and remove myself from the conversation altogether.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

I saw this being talked about a lot on twitter. I'm really not the biggest fan if protests though I don't hate them either. And this one sounds justified. But it always leads to violence because there's always some people there who just want to see shit destroyed and could care less for any cause. Case and point, on the BBC I saw a protester holding a Molotov Cocktail with the caption 'reports of multiple protesters throwing Molotov Cocktails at police'.

If that photo is the same one I'm thinking of that I saw on Twitter last night, that wasn't a molotov cocktail. That was apparently a tear gas grenade that the police fired at him, and that he was throwing back.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's civil unrest. People are unhappy with the world and this is what happens.

Real cause or not it's similar to the Rodney King riots- which I remember well.

If you think living in the US means these things don't happen you haven't been paying attention. This isn't new. It's just life repeating itself.

Wrong. This is people trying to prevent mistakes from the past from rearing their heads. Namely, discrimination. If a white guy died, I doubt the riots would have been so significant, but we were assholes to minorities in the past, and rightfully they are concerned about that happeneing again.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@hailinel:

Here's the article; m.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28781440

Sorry, I'm on my phone so you'll have to copy/paste. It's a Molotov Cocktail.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@giantlizardking said:

This seems like a story where two sides behaving incredibly stupidly and the internet mobs are rushing to snap decisions, largely on the lines of preexisting political biases. Generally liberal and don't like cops? You are probably siding with protesters. Generally conservative and believe in "strong law enforcement"? You probably think the guy had it coming, and the cops have behaved appropriately.

For all we know at this point, the police officer may have shot the man in a perfectly legal manner, right? If he is in fact telling the truth and the guy reached for his gun the cop can't be expected to do anything else. However, the protesters surrendered the moral high ground when all the riots began. When convenience stores are being burned to the ground or otherwise completely vandalized, what kind of gear do you expect the cops to come out in the next day? They dressed appropriately for the job. That doesn't excuse their behavior. It's totally fucked how the cops are behaving like the Gestapo and arresting journalists.

The victim's friend says that the officer shot him eight times, front and back, including the head. If that turns out to be accurate "he was trying to take my gun" isn't much of an excuse at that point, even if it were true. The police are there to stop criminals, not to execute them. And I say that as a "generally conservative" individual.

I'm not automatically siding with the police regarding the aftermath, either. While I'm sure many are just following orders and trying to keep the peace, it's extremely debatable how appropriate--or effective--their actions have been as a whole.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlizardking said:

However, the protesters surrendered the moral high ground when all the riots began.

You're lumping the protestors into one homogenous group, when it's pretty clear to me that the vast majority of them are acting peacefully.

GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlizardking said:

However, the protesters surrendered the moral high ground when all the riots began.

You're lumping the protestors into one homogenous group, when it's pretty clear to me that the vast majority of them are acting peacefully.

I'm not saying that's my opinion, I'm saying that that is the pretense for the cops coming back in paramilitary gear. Personally I obviously think those individuals who burned the Quik Trip to the gound obviously surrendered the moral high ground.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono said:

@stonyman65:

I'm really not trying to start an argument, I honestly think you should take some time to consider what you're saying. Tensions are running high due to what's going on in Ferguson, and these are pretty hyperbolic claims. I think there can and should be a discussion of what's happening in Ferguson on every forum, including this one, but I'd rather it not devolve into statements such as these. Lambasting the black community is not really productive, and minimizing the impact of the death of a black teenager is not really compassionate.

I'm not doing that at all. But I am calling it for what it is - a race related riot. Right or wrong, black guy got shot and then sympathetic (mostly black) members in the local community started rioting, very similar to what happened in LA in 1992. That's not lambasting the black community, that's calling out the jerks who thought it was okay to strat rioting and looting. If the same thing happened to a white person and white people started rioting and looting, I'd be saying the exact same thing I am now. Not to say the other races aren't rioting and looting as well during this because everyone is pretty pissed off, but it seems by and large that what's happening in Furgeson right now is predominantly a black issue.

That's total BS. You wouldn't be saying the same thing. Nobody says stuff like G20 protests or Occupy were (white) race riots. Come on.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing how terrifyingly well equipped the militar...the police look I can understand why Visceral is making Battlefield Hardline about the US milita.....police.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By defaultprophet

@spaceinsomniac said:

@starvinggamer said:

Got nothing much to add other than this: https://www.change.org/petitions/president-barack-obama-please-enact-new-federal-laws-to-protect-citizens-from-police-violence-and-misconduct

We don't really know the facts with Mike Brown, but there can't be any argument that what the police are doing right now is "right". It's fucking terrifying.

However, I will argue that not everything the police are doing is WRONG.

For example, in this video, you can clearly see that the police allowed a peaceful demonstration to take place for hours, even into the night, until someone happened to throw a molotov cocktail. As far as the appropriateness of their response after that violent act, that is certainly up for debate.

Uh yeah that's a plastic bottle. There's no flame, you can see it clearly when he winds up to throw it. Nothing is lit. It's not a molotov.

http://i.imgur.com/PwDaxKc.jpg

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65 said:

@quid_pro_bono said:

@stonyman65:

I'm really not trying to start an argument, I honestly think you should take some time to consider what you're saying. Tensions are running high due to what's going on in Ferguson, and these are pretty hyperbolic claims. I think there can and should be a discussion of what's happening in Ferguson on every forum, including this one, but I'd rather it not devolve into statements such as these. Lambasting the black community is not really productive, and minimizing the impact of the death of a black teenager is not really compassionate.

I'm not doing that at all. But I am calling it for what it is - a race related riot. Right or wrong, black guy got shot and then sympathetic (mostly black) members in the local community started rioting, very similar to what happened in LA in 1992. That's not lambasting the black community, that's calling out the jerks who thought it was okay to strat rioting and looting. If the same thing happened to a white person and white people started rioting and looting, I'd be saying the exact same thing I am now. Not to say the other races aren't rioting and looting as well during this because everyone is pretty pissed off, but it seems by and large that what's happening in Furgeson right now is predominantly a black issue.

That's total BS. You wouldn't be saying the same thing. Nobody says stuff like G20 protests or Occupy were (white) race riots. Come on.

Both of the protests you mentioned had nothing to do with race or civil rights at all. Both were about poverty, income inequality and anti-capitalism. Hardly comparable to the shooting of a black teenager.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@defaultprophet said:

@stonyman65 said:

@quid_pro_bono said:

@stonyman65:

Both of the protests you mentioned had nothing to do with race or civil rights at all. Both were about poverty, income inequality and anti-capitalism. Hardly comparable to the shooting of a black teenager.

I'm comparing them on the basis of racial composition.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@defaultprophet: Racial composition? It seems like during the G20 and Occupy protests everybody of every race was pissed off equally. I don't see how you could compare the two.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By RonGalaxy

@stonyman65 said:

@spraynardtatum said:

That's kind of the problem here... Ferguson PD doesn't have dash cams in their cruisers so there is no video. Until the FBI can investigate, there isn't much information out there. It's gonna take a while until we know something solid.

The fucking school buses where I live have cameras on them. Why in the hell are dashcams on police vehicles not mandatory? This is a top to bottom shit fest. We have so much useful technology and we utilize all of it until it becomes inconvenient for us (meaning: when it can be used against people who do bad things).

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: Yeah I know! Total bullshit. Why cops aren't required to have cameras on them at all times is bullshit. They can monitor us, but we can't monitor them.

GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlizardking said:

The victim's friend says that the officer shot him eight times, front and back, including the head. If that turns out to be accurate "he was trying to take my gun" isn't much of an excuse at that point, even if it were true. The police are there to stop criminals, not to execute them. And I say that as a "generally conservative" individual.

I'm not automatically siding with the police regarding the aftermath, either. While I'm sure many are just following orders and trying to keep the peace, it's extremely debatable how appropriate--or effective--their actions have been as a whole.

It's not unheard of for witnesses to lie, especially if they want to get the cops in trouble. All we as the general public have right now as evidence are two sides saying different things, right? The autopsy will reveal a lot of information so there is no need to rely on heresy and speculation. I'm a big opponent of police brutality, but if somebody is on the verge of overpowering a police officer and attempting to take their gun I expect that police officer to shoot that individual as a matter of protecting themselves and the public. That doesn't have anything to do with execution. Now if the police officer fills their body full of bullets that is excessive for sure, and should be treated as such.