• 133 results
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By emkeighcameron

We can cancel it out with nuclear winter if it gets too bad.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By StaticFalconar

Yes its heating up, and we probably accelerated its pace, but it was going to happen anyway. Nothing we can do can stop it reguardless

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By RisingRaiden
@ReaperOfLiving said:

" @RisingRaiden said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
" Atmospheric CO2 concentration and global temperature have a direct correlation (No scientist denies this).  We have been pumping CO2 into the atmosphere to a point where it is the highest it has ever been within the last 1 million years (No scientist denies this).  The ice shelfs are retreating, and the average global temperate has risen (No scientist denies this).  If you think this is a money making scheme, you are a moron.           "
Ignorance at its best... "
Yes, please explain what is wrong with his post?  I would love to hear it.  "
Anyone who says that EVERY SINGLE SCIENTIST says Global Warming is real is ignorant.  Just google it and you can find hundreds of scientists who argue with global warming.  And the average global temperature has DECREASED in the last few years, not risen like he says (see graph).  The thing that people call "global warming" is a naturally occuring, scientific process that humans have little control over (even with the large amounts of Carbon Dioxide we are putting into the atmosphere.  I'm not saying that we need to not limit pollution, I'm just saying that global warming has been used to gain money, hence it is ignorant to call people morons to think its a money making scheme.  
BTW, am I the only one who has noticed that global warming started to be called "cliimate change ever since it started to cool down again? *rolls eyes*

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By ArcLyte

yes, the earth's climate is warming. yes, the hundreds of thousands of tons of CO2 and other pollutants being spewed into the atmosphere per year are aiding the process. is it something to freak out about like the tv tells us to? no. why? two reasons. 1. the earth's climate GOES THROUGH WARM AND COOL CYCLES, and has been throughout all of recorded (and unrecorded) history. 2. we are humans, capable of reason. we will certainly survive any global warming or cooling, you can count on that. the ultra-wealthy elite of the world will make sure of this.

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By RisingRaiden
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" Technically global warming DOES warm the earth and then cause an ice age.  So I guess if that is true then "Warming" does fit.  The ice caps melt BECAUSE of  "warming" so..... "
BTW, not all ice caps are melting, only a few.   Just see the graph I posted, temperature is decreasing.
And also (going with both arguments), coralation=/=causation.
ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
@RisingRaiden said:
" @ReaperOfLiving said:

" @RisingRaiden said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
" Atmospheric CO2 concentration and global temperature have a direct correlation (No scientist denies this).  We have been pumping CO2 into the atmosphere to a point where it is the highest it has ever been within the last 1 million years (No scientist denies this).  The ice shelfs are retreating, and the average global temperate has risen (No scientist denies this).  If you think this is a money making scheme, you are a moron.           "
Anyone who says that EVERY SINGLE SCIENTIST says Global Warming is real is ignorant.  Just google it and you can find hundreds of scientists who argue with global warming.  And the average global temperature has DECREASED in the last few years, not risen like he says (see graph).  The thing that people call "global warming" is a naturally occuring, scientific process that humans have little control over (even with the large amounts of Carbon Dioxide we are putting into the atmosphere.  I'm not saying that we need to not limit pollution, I'm just saying that global warming has been used to gain money, hence it is ignorant to call people morons to think its a money making scheme.  
BTW, am I the only one who has noticed that global warming started to be called "cliimate change ever since it started to cool down again? *rolls eyes*

"

No Caption Provided
Which way is down exactly?
Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Chuggsy
@RisingRaiden said:
" @ReaperOfLiving said:

" @RisingRaiden said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

"
Global warming and global climate change are two different things.

Global warming is the gradual warming of the atmosphere over time, which is happening. It's why the ice caps are melting, among other things.

Global climate change is, basically, the impact global warming has on different parts of the world. Some will become hotter, and some will have increased rainfall and get cooler. It's mostly due to the shift of warm water in the oceans and the impact that has on the trade winds.

The large majority of credible scientists agree about global warming. "Just googling" something is worthless as proof, I could google "9/11 was fake" and get thousands of people agreeing.  

Have you taken environmental science classes? Or are you just recycling garbage you read on the internet? I'm inclined the think the second.
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Feser
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" @RisingRaiden said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

I'm going to guess he is refering to debate of whether Climate Change is man made or an organic cycle. The original commentator was fairly ignorant in his presumption that all scientists believe in a Human spawned climate change, as many top of the line scientists would disagree with that idea (Such as the former head of the IPCC, former Nobel Laureates, etc). This being said, most scientific organizations believe that human activity is correlated with the rise in temperature and you can certainly make a case for which is a more credible source - large organizations or individual scientists.  Point being there is debate. 

Some of his others points could be patently false but I'm not going to into the minutia of the debate. Climate Change is a very complex debate. Very. But if there is two things that everyone should learn it is - (one) it is always a good idea to be green, and (two) even by going green you really aren't going to be able to do a damn thing to effect anything (Factories contribute the lionshare of gasses).
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Organicalistic_
@SmackmYackm said:

" Fact: Cow farts are the singular cause of global warming.  Fact: Pirate ladies are way hotter than ninja ladies.   "

@ZeForgotten said:

" @SmackmYackm said:

" Fact: Cow farts are the singular cause of global warming.    
  Fact: Pirate ladies are way hotter than ninja ladies.   "
Indeed.  About the Pirate ladies.  Also, I guess I should be eating more cows than I already am "
what???

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RisingRaiden
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" @RisingRaiden said:
" @ReaperOfLiving said:

" @RisingRaiden said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

"

No Caption Provided
Which way is down exactly? "
Oh, so your data is automatically better than mine? *rolls eyes again* We don't even know where yours came from. Mine came from the National Post.
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DukesT3

It's convenient. 

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I believe in it, but really it just falls under a cycyle to me. Global Climate change something like that. Where it'll hot for some amount of years and the next amount of years it'll be colder. I mean I live in Florida and it almost snowed in south florida where it was 30 degrees.
Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Chuggsy
@ArcLyte said:

" yes, the earth's climate is warming. yes, the hundreds of thousands of tons of CO2 and other pollutants being spewed into the atmosphere per year are aiding the process. is it something to freak out about like the tv tells us to? no. why? two reasons. 1. the earth's climate GOES THROUGH WARM AND COOL CYCLES, and has been throughout all of recorded (and unrecorded) history. 2. we are humans, capable of reason. we will certainly survive any global warming or cooling, you can count on that. the ultra-wealthy elite of the world will make sure of this. "

Yes, the earth goes through cycles. It's called El Nino and La Nina.  El Niño is characterized by unusually warm temperatures and La Niña by unusually cool temperatures in the equatorial Pacific. While La Nina has been getting less dramatic over the course of the last 50 years, El Nino has been increasing dramatically.
Graph: http://faculty.washington.edu/kessler/ENSO/soi-1950-98.gif 
ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ShadowofIntent

@ReaperOfLiving 

Back the time line up a few thousand years and you will see it used to be much higher and came down

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Chuggsy
@Eisen said:

" @chrissedoff said:

" @VoodooTerror said:
" the climate is changing but because it always has and always will, we have nothing to do with it "

@ShadowofIntent said:

" F.    It's happening but its not our doing.  The world heats and cools naturally. "

man it's just too bad the thousands of scientists who've spent their entire lives studying the earth's climate weren't aware of that durhurdurhurdurhur video game forums, where the world's problems are diagnosed and solved by under-educated children "
To the defense of forum goers: our well being isn't bought and paid for grants.  When money is the influencing factor over whether a scientist takes one side or another on a political issue, then I suggest you learn to doubt those defend global warming regardless of data available and condemn the opinions of those who want a true scientific debate through ridicule and shouting.  Scientists will lie for grants and fame regardless of what the truth may be. "
Oh, get the fuck over yourself. You really think millions of scientists studying this phenomenon are doing it for money? Everybody is controlled by the system? You think the morality of scientists all around the world is compromised by a small grant? They studied environmental science their whole lives just to lie about a huge thing like this for money? 

Christ, some people.
ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
@RisingRaiden said:

" @ReaperOfLiving said:

"

No Caption Provided
Which way is down exactly? "
Oh, so your data is automatically better than mine? *rolls eyes again* We don't even know where yours came from. Mine came from the National Post. "
  http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/
I hope nasa.gov is good enough?  Unless it is a government conspiracy in your Michael Crichton book of yours too?  Also "Oh, so your data is automatically better than mine? *rolls eyes again*" what data? Am I the only one who can not see this graph you keep referencing?

@ShadowofIntent

said:

" @ReaperOfLiving   Back the time line up a few thousand years and you will see it used to be much higher and came down "

My point to him is it didn't go down in the last few years.  I know about cycles and ice age ect. 
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CL60

Money making scheme is technically in first. (second if you actually count the ninja one as serious).

I am disappointed...I thought Giant Bomb was more intelligent then this.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By calidan777

Sunspots, they happen.

Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Atlantus_Air

With the Hadron Collider going off tomorrow it won't matter anyways.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By iam3green

global warming is happening. i do nothing with it because there really isn't anything to do about it. sure we can help a little by making emissions lower but that is about it. there are natural causes also by them.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
@calidan777 said:
" Sunspots, they happen. "
Activity of sunspots/flares will increase in 2012.  But people are being idiots thinking they can cause global destruction, which is very wrong.  None are big enough to even effect our environment. Obviously they mess with our satellites and disrupt electronics but never anything that would cause a global climate shift.    
nlaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By nlaire

I understand it's happening and while I'm not the world's best recycler and I use aerosols and probably could use less toilet roll or whatever it is Sheryl Crow suggests, I don't deny it. Global Warming deniers are like Holocaust deniers; the facts are there, what more do you need? 

Also: people who say "Global Warming? Great, I could do with some warmer weather!!!!!"- move somewhere warmer you idiot. AND THINK OF THE POOR POLAR BEARS 

No Caption Provided
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By me3639

All you need to know about gw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOc5yiIWkg

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76  Edited By yukoasho

Talk about Global Warming to the Florida farmers who lost their crops in last year's chill, spiking produce prices nationwide as we had to go offshore, or to the northeast US, which was BURIED in snow until two weeks into March.  Hell, it's cooler than normal here in Florida NOW.

It's all bullshit from people with stocks in renewable energy companies, and that's all it's ever been.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Green_Incarnate

People still believe in Global warming? Has something changed since the graph fiasco where the scientist couldn't find the stats he used to make it?

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Chuggsy
@YukoAsho said:
" Talk about Global Warming to the Florida farmers who lost their crops in last year's chill, spiking produce prices nationwide as we had to go offshore, or to the northeast US, which was BURIED in snow until two weeks into March.  Hell, it's cooler than normal here in Florida NOW.

It's all bullshit from people with stocks in renewable energy companies, and that's all it's ever been. "
Global warming is different than global climate change. What they're experiencing is global climate change, a direct effect of global warming. Might want to review the facts before you start  accusing millions of scientists of selling out.
Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Chuggsy
@Green_Incarnate said:
" People still believe in Global warming? Has something changed since the graph fiasco where the scientist couldn't find the stats he used to make it? "
Yeah, because one scientist losing data to a single graph proves years and years of various studies done by multiple scientists wrong.

God I need to stop visiting this thread, it's going to kill me.
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Green_Incarnate

It's kinda a big deal, if it's the graph Global Warming spawned from.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Chuggsy
@Green_Incarnate said:
" It's kinda a big deal, if it's the graph Global Warming spawned from. "
It's not one graph that "spawned" global warming, it's a single study that suggests global warming. And just because he lost the data doesn't prove global warming false, that makes no sense at all.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#82  Edited By armaan8014

I was gonna do B(that I care), but then I saw the option F.(I AM a ninja, you know).
WHY did you put that option? Now you made me look like a selfish ninja who doesn't care about the world.
Eat this shuriken *

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ArchScabby

Who cares about global warming.  All we need to do is drop a giant ice cube from hailies comet in the ocean every year, and we'll be fine.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By btman

B.  i'm a environmentally friendly guy

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Chuggsy
@Eisen said:
" @Chuggsy said:
" @Green_Incarnate said:
" It's kinda a big deal, if it's the graph Global Warming spawned from. "
It's not one graph that "spawned" global warming, it's a single study that suggests global warming. And just because he lost the data doesn't prove global warming false, that makes no sense at all. "
Of course it doesn't disprove global warming, but it does cast serious doubts about the leading climate scientists involved and their motives behind pushing it forward. "
No. It means a guy lost his data. It says nothing about his motives. You don't know anything other than what you've read/heard on the news, and neither do I. You have a right to be doubtful and form your own opinions obviously, but you're jumping to irrational ideas when you start questioning motives of all the leading scientists studying climate change because of this one incident. 

It's obvious I'm not going to change you're opinion on this, so I'm going to stop trying. I'm assuming you've watched enough Fox News to spout nonsense at me for days.
jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jos1ah

It's been colder and with more blizzards this winter than it has been for decades, so I dunno about how serious global warming is. There's so much bullshit big business surrounding it all it is hard to know what the truth is.  Personally, I think pollution and disregard for nature is pretty disgusting and sad.
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Green_Incarnate

What it does is raise questions about the science being motivated by political agenda.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#89  Edited By Radar

Real, but I'm not going to put my life on hold or go out of my way so my great grand kids can live a better life. I agree it's being milked for profit, like Al Gore... dudes making millions. Environmentally friendly alternatives cost shit-tons too.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#90  Edited By Sooperspy

I love this site. more people picked the ninja one than any other... Including myself

SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By SofaKing

It's an embarrassment that such a large portion of semi-intelligent people deny man's role in climate change. There is no debate within the scientific community over whether humans contribute to an enhanced greenhouse effect. The evidence is overwhelming.  http://www.ipcc.ch/

Having a general understanding of the greenhouse effect and realizing that the data supporting human's role in it is vast is part of it. However, I think what most people fail to do is look at what the scientific consensus is. You can base your entire position on the issue on the "graph fiasco" if you like. But it comes off to any reasonable person as moronic. Look at what the stance of every respectable scientist is.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#92  Edited By natetodamax
THE END IS NIGH
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mano521

yea its happening. too bad i dont care. i leave that stuff to the people who are fanatical about the earth to take care of it. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#94  Edited By Claude

I think it's real, but really don't care. I'll let you kids worry about it. Here's a buck... just passing.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By bravetoaster
@mano521 said:
" yea its happening. too bad i dont care. i leave that stuff to the people who are fanatical about the earth to take care of it.  "
I don't care about it either.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By RsistncE
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
For once I can agree with you on something.

I honestly can't believe there are so many fucking stupid people on Giantbomb. It makes my heart sink a little.
SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SofaKing

Why exactly do you have such little regard for humanity?

Mr_JPeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Mr_JPeps

I think it is happening, and there really isn't much we can do, and of course people are going to try to make money, or a quick buck off this, that is the human way, just like everything else in the world. The problem I have is when people hear the words "global warming" the only thing that comes to mind is "heat" you will see things or hear things such as "There sure was a lot of blizzards and snow this year, that ill show ya global warming." Climate Change is a result of gloabal warming and just  becuase the term  has "warming" in the title does not actually mean everything will get hotter. The climate IS changing, places who have not seen snow ever in history got hit this year such as Texas and low land New Mexico. Other places seen Tornado's, normally a Spring and Summer occurrence, happen all the way into November and December. It really has nothing to do with politics or sides of a party, yet everyone has to take sides as it seems that is the popular thing to do amongst  society at this point in time. If you don't see that mother nature is changing then i suggest you turn off your news network, take a step outside, and open your eyes!

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Yukoei
@Snipzor said:
" Of course it's happening, too bad I'm a gosh darned hypocrite to the point where I can't actually get around to changing my lifestyle around it. "
This.
Nowayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Nowayman
@ultimatepunchrod said:
"i think its real and people could definitely do less to pollute but its not just us. the earth does go through cycles so it may just be a warm cycle + 5 million hummers on the road. also i think that even if it isnt real/isnt our fault, we only have one planet to live on and its too much to risk by just dismissing it. we cant ruin the only place we have to live. "

This.