Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Kaineda77

I am just gonna say two things, 

• there is not the IPCC opinion and the "other" opinions, the IPCC makes it his task to review all the scientific articles. So yeah, there is climate change, and it is as bad as they say. Or, wait, maybe 1000+ scientists in the field are all part of a conspiracy theory, and you're ignorant physics teacher is right.
  • About this winter, it was freakishly cold here in Germany as well, and it was long and very snowy. Still, globally, it was the second warmest January in the last 200 years.
Nowayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Nowayman
@ReaperOfLiving said:
"I agree with many of you.  It doesn't matter if "Global Warming" is happening or not, we should still aim to reduce pollution. "

And This.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@ultimatepunchrod:  +1 The World is an island and we're fucked if it sinks.
nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By nicolenomicon

E, but I really meant A.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ryanwho

People at Giantbomb care more about lolicon laws than global warming.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I can't stand it! 

"Climate change" is what politicians started calling global warming once global warming had a negative connotation.  Politicians, specifically the Republican party, hoped that by changing the term, they could redefine the concept in a way more favorable to their own agendas.  The phrase climate change is used by politicians to manipulate how you think about the issue and has no real bearing on the scientific concepts.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ryanwho

Global warming was changed to climate change because "global warming" is not an accurate way to describe what is happening.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By jinxman
jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By jinxman
@Godlyawesomeguy: watch the video, maybe you'll learn something.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ryanwho

Every time our planet cools most of the life on it dies you fucking retard. Being a natural occurrence doesn't change the consequences nor does it change our ability to counteract it. I bet you felt like you dropped a big ol trump card on the thread huh dipshit.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#113  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Its fake.

Dont trust me,but i think its fake.

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114  Edited By RisingRaiden
@ShadowofIntent said:
" @ReaperOfLiving   Back the time line up a few thousand years and you will see it used to be much higher and came down "
Exactly, this is why it is misused.  People *cough Republicans cough* use the natural heating and cooling cycle (which they give the name global warming) to their advantage, hence monet making scheme. 

@ReaperOfLIving 
I did post a graph, idk what your talking about...
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By Willy105

I think there is Global Warming, but that it is a normal occurrence.

Median temperatures fluctuate wildly as time passes, and we were in a period of global cooling in the past 30 decades until Global Warming started.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Organicalistic_

Glad I didn't make this a blogpost, then i'd have like 300 in my inbox

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By voodooterror
@chrissedoff said:
" @VoodooTerror said:
" the climate is changing but because it always has and always will, we have nothing to do with it "

@ShadowofIntent said:

" F.    It's happening but its not our doing.  The world heats and cools naturally. "

man it's just too bad the thousands of scientists who've spent their entire lives studying the earth's climate weren't aware of that durhurdurhurdurhur video game forums, where the world's problems are diagnosed and solved by under-educated children "
so you're complaining that i provided what i think of global warming on a forum that asks what we think of global warming? 
i think its you thats in need of the durhdurhdurhdurh
theDevilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By theDevilb0y

The world cools and heats naturally. This is true.

Carbon emissions exacerbate this process by trapping the suns rays (can't remember what kind they are) inside our atmosphere. This is also true.

Carbon emissions also make it harder for the sun's rays to get in in the first place, which causes certain parts of the world to cool. This, suprisingly, is true as well.

Overall then, part of it's natural, part of it's our doing. However, people seem to think the idea of half of the UK being underwater in 100 years time isn't a problem because we'll have nice weather. I would suggest that the weather wont be half so nice once the mass exodus of people from these unliveable areas forces us into the underground slums of cyber-London.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#119  Edited By Korne

It's not a decision of whether you think it is real or not... because it is real. I'm an Environmental Engineer, and I have studied it first hand. But global warming is a dumb name, and the green house gas effect is not the only reason why the Earth's climate is changing so much. 

The Earth has a few cycles in its rotation that effect the warming of the planets surface, including its eccentricity period (a 100,000 year cycle where the earth rotates around the sun in different shapes), its precession period, and its obliquity period. The fact is, about every 100,000 years, the Earth has always cycled between heating up and drastically cooling down (ice age). What worries scientists is the rate at which it is happening this time. 

Green House Gasses (GHGs)  are gasses that react with UV light rays which causes them to disperse light radiation that is being given off by the Earth. Some of this radiation will go back to the earth and warm it up. These GHGs include CO2, CH4, NO2, O3 (ozone), and most of all... H2O (water).  

There are two general things we can do to ensure the ice age doesn't come 50,000 years early is take measures to reflect the light out of the earth (space mirrors, salt clouds, even pumping silicon into the atmosphere) or reduce the amount of GHGs being pumped into our atmosphere. Developing countries like China are very apposed to reductions of the use of cheap energy like coal, and stubborn countries like the USA won't do it unless the developing countries do it.  

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By Korne
@Kaineda77 said:
" I am just gonna say two things,  
  • About this winter, it was freakishly cold here in Germany as well, and it was long and very snowy. Still, globally, it was the second warmest January in the last 200 years.
"
While climates are changing a lot... much of it may be coincidence, and a lot of it had to do with the fact that this year was an El Nino year. This mainly effects the southern Pacific Coast of South America, but also causes change for the rest of the planet as well. Let me put it this way... It snowed in Texas... a lot!
DrGanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By DrGanon

Its all manbearpig's fault.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#122  Edited By pirate_republic
@SmackmYackm said:
" Fact: Pirate ladies are way hotter than ninja ladies.   "
I can attest to this.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#123  Edited By jakob187

The way the government would like to portray global warming is a hoax. 

The fact that the Earth goes through these cycles every couple hundred years or so...is not.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By btman

think about it this way.  the earth doesn't release air into space.  that means that all the poisonous fumes spewing out of factories, cars, etc.  are just staying in the atmosphere swirling around and gathering.  granted some does get absorbed by water, plants, etc.  but its a very very small percent.  have you guys not seen pictures of Beijing or L.A. where theres just a shit load of poisonous air/fog....that's not normal. the earth doesn't do that in its "cycles"

SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SofaKing
@jakob187 said:

" The way the government would like to portray global warming is a hoax.  The fact that the Earth goes through these cycles every couple hundred years or so...is not. "

If you're referring to how it's portrayed as a result of human activity, then no, you're wrong.

http://www.de-fact-o.com/fact_read.php?id=162
 http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/how-do-we-know-that-recent-cosub2sub-increases-are-due-to-human-activities-updated/

Please stop promoting conspiracy theory trash.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Dalai
@jakob187 said:
" The way the government would like to portray global warming is a hoax.  The fact that the Earth goes through these cycles every couple hundred years or so...is not. "
Basically this. Shit happens. We get the occasional ice age so why not the occasional warming?
SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By SofaKing

For fucks sakes. Your logic is flawless and your attention to scientific data remarkable.

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By RisingRaiden
@jakob187 said:
Wow, he posts the same thing I do and DOESN'T get hate for it. *rolls eyes* I hate the internet...
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ryanwho
@Dalai said:
" @jakob187 said:
Basically this. Shit happens. We get the occasional ice age so why not the occasional warming? "
Because the "warming" leads to an ice age. People apply caveman math to the name global warming and you get stupid conclusions like this.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

See, South Park is correct.  Around 25% of all people are retarded.  This and the 911 thread support this. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#131  Edited By damnboyadvance

If it is there, then I believe it is natural. It also doesn't seem that significant to me right now. I just act like it's not there.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By chrissedoff
@Eisen said:
" @chrissedoff said:
" @VoodooTerror said:
" the climate is changing but because it always has and always will, we have nothing to do with it "

@ShadowofIntent said:

" F.    It's happening but its not our doing.  The world heats and cools naturally. "

man it's just too bad the thousands of scientists who've spent their entire lives studying the earth's climate weren't aware of that durhurdurhurdurhur video game forums, where the world's problems are diagnosed and solved by under-educated children "
To the defense of forum goers: our well being isn't bought and paid for grants.  When money is the influencing factor over whether a scientist takes one side or another on a political issue, then I suggest you learn to doubt those defend global warming regardless of data available and condemn the opinions of those who want a true scientific debate through ridicule and shouting.  Scientists will lie for grants and fame regardless of what the truth may be. "
you heard it here first folks; if you want to make lots of ca$$$h, fabricate reams of scientific data which concludes that every facet of the american--nay, the western--nay, the fucking world's--way of life has to be radically revised.

a slightly more rational conspiracy theorist might think that the tiny number of scientists who have expressed skepticism about global warming would have been the ones making bank on shoddy science since, you know, it's in the short-term interest of practically every business on earth to deny global warming. but, nope!
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By chrissedoff
@Eisen said:
" Yes, they will lie if they work at a university as these professors will do anything to be tenured and gain fame.  They know that receiving grants and being published are a major part of the tenure process and will do anything to meet these requirements.  Actual research and teaching comes second to this.   They will lie to further their career at the cost everyone around them.  Having worked for professors in various fields, this is sadly the state of the college systems.  There are honest ones as well, but they are generally not the ones with a great deal of fame attached to their name.   As I stated before, people such as yourself use ridicule to try to reduce the opinions of others.  If you wish to simply believe the words everyone else tells them just because they are scientists and they couldn't possibly be wrong, then so be it.  I personally prefer to review facts for myself that are presented and not that of those who questionable motives. "
if were talking about "a small number of climatologists" or "a significant minority of climatologists", i would applaud your initiative into looking into the matter for yourself.
but instead, here's you, staring down 90%+ of the world's most qualified climate scientists from dozens of nations and just assuming they're lying, because apparently you met a shady professor one time when you made him a salad in the cafeteria.

the very idea that you have done any kind of serious investigation into this subject is laughable. i don't know where you're from, but i learned the principles behind global warming in high school. and i went to public school. so i would be very surprised if your research wasn't primarily based on a tv cartoon written by a pair of college dropouts, or a tv show hosted by libertarian magicians. i'd be very curious to know whether your "facts" are coming from peer reviewed scientific journals, or articles you read in us weekly, because as much as you'd love to take a "fair and balanced" look at the subject, all of the hard data supports one side, and you choose to ignore it because it doesn't support your world view (or, more likely, you aren't able to interpret the data and, for all your boasting about making up your own mind based on the FACTS, you're too lazy to learn).
 get over yourself. you aren't galileo. you're a part of the church that excommunicated him.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By diz
@chrissedoff said:
" @Eisen said:
" Yes, they will lie if they work at a university as these professors will do anything to be tenured and gain fame.  They know that receiving grants and being published are a major part of the tenure process and will do anything to meet these requirements.  Actual research and teaching comes second to this.   They will lie to further their career at the cost everyone around them.  Having worked for professors in various fields, this is sadly the state of the college systems.  There are honest ones as well, but they are generally not the ones with a great deal of fame attached to their name.   As I stated before, people such as yourself use ridicule to try to reduce the opinions of others.  If you wish to simply believe the words everyone else tells them just because they are scientists and they couldn't possibly be wrong, then so be it.  I personally prefer to review facts for myself that are presented and not that of those who questionable motives. "
if were talking about "a small number of climatologists" or "a significant minority of climatologists", i would applaud your initiative into looking into the matter for yourself. but instead, here's you, staring down 90%+ of the world's most qualified climate scientists from dozens of nations and just assuming they're lying, because apparently you met a shady professor one time when you made him a salad in the cafeteria.  the very idea that you have done any kind of serious investigation into this subject is laughable. i don't know where you're from, but i learned the principles behind global warming in high school. and i went to public school. so i would be very surprised if your research wasn't primarily based on a tv cartoon written by a pair of college dropouts, or a tv show hosted by libertarian magicians. i'd be very curious to know whether your "facts" are coming from peer reviewed scientific journals, or articles you read in us weekly, because as much as you'd love to take a "fair and balanced" look at the subject, all of the hard data supports one side, and you choose to ignore it because it doesn't support your world view (or, more likely, you aren't able to interpret the data and, for all your boasting about making up your own mind based on the FACTS, you're too lazy to learn). get over yourself. you aren't galileo. you're a part of the church that excommunicated him. "

I think you dream up the 90% statistics that you deride Eisen for using. I rather concur what's being said here about adademe and research projects. But science, regardless of the personalities involved, has a rational framework of understanding evidence - called the scientific method.

I think you also need to be careful as to what you label as "fact", rather than as opinion. Remember that "facts" change all the time, as our relativistic understanding of our universe evolves. The recent "factual" evidence is that some scientists from the UK CRU did falsify information, then impeded freedom of information requests to obtain their research data.

The notion of man-made involvement in global and regional temperature fluctuations (as documented throughout history) is still unproven from the scientific data available today. It all depends on your interpretations and which conflicting data sets you ignore. Do you remember coal-driven industrial revolution, culminating in the "great smog" of London (leading to the "clean air act"? Or that mini-ice age around the 1700's?

Perhaps you, with your public school education, should learn that Gaileo was not excommunicated by the inquisition, before making ad-hominem attacks on people expressing a fair view that opposes your own.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Climate change is definitely real, I just have no clue if it's my fault or not.

Rezonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Rezonator

I'm not a big fan off all this global warming stuff but i'm not saying its not real it is real but just a short few months ago, I seen a comeback movie to AL Gore's "an inconvenient truth" called a convenient fiction which will give you all the real facts and as most people on the post have said the world has been heating and cooling thats the truth. 

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Organicalistic_

i want to bump this

x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points