new mouse?

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

thinking about picking up a new mouse I have a logitech G5 at the moment. I was maybe thinking about picking up one of those rat mouses.

Thanks!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Logitech G500 is always what I recommend. It's a great size, weight, and it has enough side buttons so I can do more shit without taking my hand off my mouse.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft Intellimouse, the greatest mouse ever made.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By GiroMindTricks

I second the G500, is comfortable and has just the right amount of buttons.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm partial to the Razer Deathadder myself. Had one for 2 years, and really liked it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottp: Canadian bestbuy is the best kind of bestbuy. Also the G500 is 5 bucks cheaper than that RAT 5.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ottoman673

If you're into FPSes, I always recommend the Corsair Vengeance M60... but that's just me

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've got a RAT 3 and I like it, wish I had gotten the 5 though for the extra configurability(if thats a word). I work from home so I've been using it for ~14 hours a day usually and its been going strong for almost 6 months now.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a RAT 3 and I like it, wish I had gotten the 5 though for the extra configurability(if thats a word). I work from home so I've been using it for ~14 hours a day usually and its been going strong for almost 6 months now.

I've been using it for about two years now and I still love my RAT 3. It's a weird looking mouse, and people always comment on it when they come over, but it's comfortable and has adjustable DPI. That's good enough for me.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heard bad stories about RAT failure rates.

also rec the g500, though i think scroll wheel may have issues as it has two modes of motion (normal and one where it free rolls for fast scrolling) and i think it makes it less precise over time in normal mode. also middle button failed bt i think it was because i got mad @ bioshock infinite. ;)

currently using razer naga i got 2nd hand for cheap, will see how it holds out.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Nictel

@alexw00d said:

Logitech G500 is always what I recommend. It's a great size, weight, and it has enough side buttons so I can do more shit without taking my hand off my mouse.

I never use the side buttons myself but yeah I really like it.

@ripelivejam said:

heard bad stories about RAT failure rates.

also rec the g500, though i think scroll wheel may have issues as it has two modes of motion (normal and one where it free rolls for fast scrolling) and i think it makes it less precise over time in normal mode. also middle button failed bt i think it was because i got mad @ bioshock infinite. ;)

currently using razer naga i got 2nd hand for cheap, will see how it holds out.

I switch between the two modes all the time, the quick scroll is great for moving quickly through a page or document, I have never had any issues. I have the mouse now for over 2 years and like I said I switch between the modes a lot.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ben_H

Also heard a lot of horror stories about the RAT mice. Primarily with regard to sensor failures happening a lot.

Go with a G500. Logitech makes solid mice. I've never had one break on me, even the really cheap ones.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scottp

Picked up the RAT today first, didnt really like the feel. Went back picked up the G500 its great!

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By gla55jAw

I really love my G9X.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Bah, this thread is making my G400 feel so inferior :'(

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

The G500 is hideous. Downright atrocious. G9x is where it's at.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By captain_max707

I had to replace my Deathadder which I loved, and got the newest model. It's great, if a little pricey. I definitely have no regrets though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

@jjweatherman said:

weird i think the exact opposite (though i don't like the pattern too much but it isn't in your face. would've preferred black/dark blue/silver).

it SEEMS like it's a shitton more comfortable. don't like the "claw" style of the G9X.

now i just want to get another G500. i only replaced it cause of the middle mouse button; it's currently at my work and i'm kinda missing the feel of it at home. the naga's good but it's a bit too tiny for my hand and doesn't have the heft of the G500 w/ all the weights.

seriously the G500 is an insane value for the price.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

got a G9x, scroll wheel spins for days.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@jjweatherman said:

weird i think the exact opposite (though i don't like the pattern too much but it isn't in your face. would've preferred black/dark blue/silver).

it SEEMS like it's a shitton more comfortable. don't like the "claw" style of the G9X.

now i just want to get another G500. i only replaced it cause of the middle mouse button; it's currently at my work and i'm kinda missing the feel of it at home. the naga's good but it's a bit too tiny for my hand and doesn't have the heft of the G500 w/ all the weights.

seriously the G500 is an insane value for the price.

I guess it really does come down to the palm vs. claw argument. I suppose I'm a claw guy. But yeah, I really can't stand the shape or design of the G500. People are always talking about how much they love it, but when I built my PC I just couldn't bring myself to buy something I found so ugly. It's funny how tastes vary.

Also, I think the G9x is only like $10 more. I'm pretty sure both are constantly discounted.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Logitech MX518 4 lyfe

(If you want one, it's now the Logitech G400.)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

I've had a RAT 7 for about 9 months now. I purchased it second hand, but I don't think it was ACTUALLY used.
I love it. The only issue I've had is that for a while the dpi selector always went down to 1...but that was for about a week after I spilled water on it. It works fine now.

Recommended wholeheartedly.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@scottp: They "just" (it was a bit ago, not too long though) released the updated G500 and most of their linup in fact, check it out: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice The G500s is the upgraded G500. Norman Chan of Tested.com and the G500 fanclub seems to love the G500s so if you want to upgrade or replace, get a G500s.

Now if only they'd do the G9x...

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordeaniischaos: Yeah the G500s looks like it has the same kind of specs but just a different decal on it.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish more companies would make simple looking mice that still have a lot of functionality. Logitech does a pretty good job with this, but so many of them have lights and crazy logos. The only unusual mouse I really like the look of is the R.A.T series and I wouldn't touch those because they are now made by Mad Catz.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a Roccat Kone after my MX518 finally decided to die on me(after many years of use)
Not too shabby.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Cirdain

THERON Infrared

What ever you get make sure that the front is raised. My  Thermaltake Black has a<2 cm raised front and that small difference is great.
What ever you get make sure that the front is raised. My Thermaltake Black has a<2 cm raised front and that small difference is great.

Or get this

Yes, that is a fan.
Yes, that is a fan.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@scottp said:

@mordeaniischaos: Yeah the G500s looks like it has the same kind of specs but just a different decal on it.

It's got an improved sensor and stuff. I mean, if you like the mouse you had but have to replace it, mind as well just do a straight upgrade. It'll be the easiest and most comfortable transition anyway, chances are you won't find something so much better (especially with the G500) that it'll make a difference beyond feeling bad/weird for a week or two.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like my Deathadder. Fits my big troll hand snugly. Nice simple, understated looks too (Black Edition especially; no dumb ass LEDs). Just never use one on OSX! It's garbage there! But that seems to be the case with just about any third party mouse on Mac. Since I only use my Mac for work, and never game on it, I'm considering picking up a magic trackpad, actually. Only having to move my fingers around would be a nice change from the constant wrist and forearm movements of mousing, which I'm growing increasingly tired of, and realizing the absurd inefficiencies of that old form of interface.

So there's my computer interface peripheral status for you, 'cause I'm sure you were dying to know.

Here's what's happening with my TV and monitor...

cdViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coolermaster Storm Spawn has great, doesn't look too over the top, and is reasonably priced.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I currently use the mionix naos 5000 and it has been serving me well for over a year now

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By villainy

@cameron: I know Mad Catz had a long history as the laughing stock of peripheral makers but I thought their quality had finally come around since SF4 and the surge in arcade sticks?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a a RAT 7 and absolutely love it. It feels great and shows no signs of wearing out any time soon after 2+ years of use.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@villainy: I've just had nothing but bad luck with them in the past. Mind you, I haven't bought any of their stuff since the early PS2 era, so maybe they've turned it around. The customer reviews on Newegg for the R.A.T series don't inspire confidence though.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like the MX518. I used to use a Razer Copperhead and a Diamondback but after a while I found that they were a little too small for my hand and it started cramping during long gaming sessions. Once I switched to the MX518 I haven't had that problem again.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By clush

Logitech MX518 4 lyfe

(If you want one, it's now the Logitech G400.)

This guy knows what he's talking about. It really is the only option out there if you want superior tracking. None of that wireless/laser/27 buttons bullshit, just a ton of accuracy. I believe @brad has one in the office. If you want your pointer to ALWAYS move EXACTLY as far as it should, get this. If you want something a bit more fancy looking, more overpriced or more gimmicky and don't really care about unmatched (and i've tried a lot of alternatives) accuracy, well, get whatever other mouse looks good to you. At that point though, it's more about subjective taste. The objective fact is that the mx518 is simply the best mouse ever created as far as tracking is concerned.

I haven't had a chance to try the g400 yet, so I don't know if it's a worthy follow-up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G9X is solid and you can get a discounted one if you're OK with it having a MW3 logo on it. It uses the 'claw' hand style though, which I found took some getting used to and is a little small. The logitech drivers aren't great, and the mouse isn't recognized in setpoint for some reason, though the mouse uses a different driver suite (Logitech Gaming Software) to set DPI/polling rate. Also, the scroll wheel likes to take off on its own a little bit.

The Razer DeathAdder is pretty comfortable (it uses the palm hand style) and one of the best mice I've used in terms of accuracy. However the drivers are pretty lame, and the mouse itself isn't as convenient as other mice that have dedicated DPI switches right on the mouse. I just had to replace an older 3500 DPI DeathAdder with the 2013 version (6400 DPI) as the left mouse button was totally borked after a year and a half of use. Though, Dota 2, Torchlight 2, and Diablo 3 featured heavily in that year and a half. The scroll wheel here is tactical and fine. Also, I found the 2013 version to really not like even slightly shiny mouse pads with graphics on them.