So About the Knack and Killzone Quick Looks...

• 104 results
CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CABBAGES

Both games look pants and I have both pre orderd with my ps4 :( and it dosnt come out here until the 29th !

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Trilogy

I really don't think you would be any less unhappy than you are now if Brad were playing.

@amyggen said:

Anyways, this has to be the 1000th thread on this forum over the years of people bitching about the guys playing poorly in a QL. This time it isn't about Brad though, so...progress?

I look at it as interchangeable complaining. It's not really about whose playing, it's about certain people not getting whatever weird confirmation they need from a quick look. You would think people who are so sold on a game, or know a lot more about it than the crew does, wouldn't even need a quick look. I don't need any of the guys to play a game well to show it off. I just need them to show it off. Jeff playing Killzone flawlessly wouldn't change the poor A.I. for example. Likewise, his quality of play doesn't make the game look any less gorgeous. Perhaps it limits how well they show off the gameplay itself, but are we really expecting Killzone to break the shooter mold?

(Not directing this post at you at all, just using your quote to compliment my point)

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By noblenerf

@steadyingmeat said:

Knack definitely did not seem 59 out of 100 on Metacritic bad, but hey, I haven't played it so what do I know.

Killzone looked boring as hell.

Does the game work? 6/10

Is it pretty? 8/10

Is it from a big publisher? 9/10

Is it from a well-known developer? 10/10

Consider giving it a Game of the Year award.

Something has gone wrong here...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Darji

I was quite surprised by the difficulty of Knack in this quicklook and that was only normal. I do not think it is a good game but a difficult one.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I feel like everyone a while ago was saying "reviewers should be using the whole scale, reviews in general are too high, reviewers don't give a shit about innovation", etc etc. Now that some sites seem to be doing so (especially Polygon) people get all up in arms.

When they review a game 6/10 they aren't saying it is broken. If people would read the review they would know that (when a game is actually broken, they give it like a 1-3 score).

It's hilarious to me. People don't even know what they want. Either that or it brought out a different group of people to complain. Probably the latter I guess.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By musubi

@artisanbreads: I'd like if everyone would just ditch scores. I know that would never in a million years happen but... it would be nice and stifle a whole lot of this console wars garbage before it even began.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

GiantBomb just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Quick Looks (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is an Endurance Run where you can become successful by just being Vinny. If you screw a game over in a Quick Look, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the GiantBomb public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Knack, nor will they purchase Killzone: Shadow Fall. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Giantbomb has misinformed an entire fanbase with this move.

GiantBomb, publicly apologize and take a quicker look at Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall or you can kiss Sony's paychecks goodbye.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

@joshwent said:

It just seemed to me like Jeff was really bored with both those games, so he didn't care and was trying to rush just to get through parts. Totally fair, I'd say.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I feel bad for a lot of gamers, who make no mistake he represents, who play everything on easy and rush through everything without seemingly having any enjoyment whatsoever. I know its his life and job, but in all reality guy needs a serious vacation from the whole thing.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't know, the games (besides Resogun) have all seem extremely mediocre to me so far. Like newer-gen launch games should be I guess.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@me3639 said:

@joshwent said:

It just seemed to me like Jeff was really bored with both those games, so he didn't care and was trying to rush just to get through parts. Totally fair, I'd say.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I feel bad for a lot of gamers, who make no mistake he represents, who play everything on easy and rush through everything without seemingly having any enjoyment whatsoever. I know its his life and job, but in all reality guy needs a serious vacation from the whole thing.

To be honest, Jeff always looks like he's bored with videogames. "Damnit, Gamespot was supposed to be just a summer gig!"

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@demoskinos said:

@artisanbreads: I'd like if everyone would just ditch scores. I know that would never in a million years happen but... it would be nice and stifle a whole lot of this console wars garbage before it even began.

Agreed. But some people seem to let review scores dictate their real life mood or something so I'm not sure we are dealing with reasonable people. Maybe it would help.

(The same goes for Quick Looks apparently and some of these people already pre-ordered the games... sick)

@me3639 said:

@joshwent said:

hahah what are you a psychologist? He played the games and one was a shooter that sure looks like a shooter (and Jeff shot stuff in it) and the other one was a game where you hit things and move around. What was he supposed to do differently? If you're looking for someone to talk in a chipper tone over video games Jeff has never been your guy. And if you are looking for a developer demo there are probably ones to watch on youtube that really try to sell you hard on the games.

Jeff doesn't play every game on easy. He didn't play either of these games on easy. What in the world...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well I gotta admit when I was watching Jeff play Killzone I did constantly think "cmon use the shield ability Jeff!" but to each his own I guess.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cold_Wolven

The thing about Quick Looks is that it seems hard to talk and be good at the game at the same time especially in a game like Knack that seems rather punishing, I know to sometimes take these Quick Looks with a grain of salt especially when it is obvious they're being distracted and thus dying as a result. Of course a distracted Jeff getting frustrated at dying in a Quick Look isn't helpful which is why reviews will ultimately be better at giving a final opinion on a game.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knack is ok i heart there is some interesting bonus stuff more elements vampire knack i heard also the co-op is good adition to the game

i wonder if you turn the dificulty up in killzone if the ai is better

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cut them some slack. They're still getting used to the new office.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I was hoping for more in Knack but what i saw it didnt seem like an atrocious game at all, just repetitive and something that doesnt scream next gen. Killzone looks good multiplayer wise, and i always find the main campaigns to be entertaining so im sure ill enjoy it enough. The only reason i got the ps4 was the overflowing love for Infamous and alot of other playstation devs/franchises. I've already bought mine Killzone, Knack, AC4 from Target and am looking forward to trying them out myself...its not like i had a ton of options anyway since im not a big sports fan (love me some hockey games though)

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the abnormal amount of focus on these games, due to the fact that they are launch titles is the reason we are seeing these exaggerated scores. I recon the highest amounts of traffic come from either a high score or a really low score, anything between won't preform as well for these websites.

My Take:

Knack is a launch-game-ass-launch-game, nothing crazy new but neither is it terribly offensive.

Killzone is a Killzone game, very pretty and plays like Killzone... if you don't like Killzone you wont like Killzone. Arthur Gies dosen't like Killzone so he gave it a low score, Dale North likes Killzone so he gave it a high score. That's all it is.

Killzone.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Jeff just didn't have a knack for the gameplay.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By tourgen

I thought killzone looked pretty good actually. It has a nice sci-fi setting which I happen to really like. Also the guns look like futuristic weapons, unlike say Syndicate which had a scifi setting but boring-ass "modern warfare" weapon models.

Depending on how the multiplayer holds up it could be a pretty decent package.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

I almost felt like I would have rather had Jeff sit in on the QL and Vinny or Brad play the game.

So... you would want it to take even longer to get through a section, either through aimless "exploration" and dicking around, or many, many more frustrating an easily avoidable deaths?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those were some rough playthroughs but it's not like I would have liked those games more if he was playing like a pro

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Fushichou187

Watching Shu Yoshida playing these launch games, Knack and Resogun in particular, on his Twitch stream has been the best part of all this lead-up to launch tomorrow.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76  Edited By PandaBear

These assholes are obviously bankrolled by micro$oft. I've been here all month, and it's nothing but snide Sony jokes . They treat Sony like they treat blackies back in the segregation days. It's unfair, Sony is the only logical choice for gaming and Giantbomb keeps shitting on it.

I am sick

of it.

Seriously, go back to IGN.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: For the most part hard games do not get good reviews unless there's a hype train before they come out; with a few exceptions and this didn't start being a thing until like PS2 generation or so (so, for example Vagrant Story got good reviews). Valkyrie Profile 2 got much worse reviews because it was challenging, but the prototypical example of this is Destructoid's Bloodrayne Betrayal review. To be fair that game is brutally unfair but it is in all other ways a solid game, I'd give it like a 7-7.5/10. Dude gave it 2/10. Just read that shit, it's hilarious. Reviewers fucking love short, easy games by comparison, makes their job way easier (Journey, Walking Dead, Gone Home, Ico etc.).

So because one reviewer gave a mediocre game a bad score that means that Knack is probably good because you liked Bloodrayne and both games said hard in the review? Okay pal.

Plenty of games harder than Knack have gotten good reviews without having a massive hype train.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I decided to go out and buy Killzone after watching the quick look. I've never played a Killzone game before but I liked the setting enough and it's been so long since I played a console FPS that why not. Plus I'm real interested in the multiplayer.

Knack seemed colorful and light, so I'll play it when it goes on PS Plus in a year or two.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

It's Giant Bomb. The Gb crew does things the way they want and that's why we love'em. :D

As far as the games, they looked like perfectly serviceable launch games to me. I'll definitely be playing through them.

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Fushichou187

Knack seemed colorful and light, so I'll play it when it goes on PS Plus in a year or two.

Unless it becomes a cult favorite among players I doubt you'll see it on PS+ ever considering the Metacritic mauling it's gotten from the media.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both looked like the same kind of boring games that I've seen and avoided before. Mediocrity is not impressive even on new hardware.

oubipaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching all of these videos and reviews on Knack, I'm still stoked to play it. It just reminds me of the old school PS1 days and who didn't love Crash and Spyro? Killzone on the other hand just looks like another bland shooter, but only some time playing will help with that feeling.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knack looked boring and not at all interesting to me. Killzone just looked like more of the same stuff we have been getting for the last few years just it looked a little better. Don't feel like Im missing out by not getting a PS4 at launch.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#84  Edited By sammo21
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hate you right now.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sat through both incredibly boring hours. Knack looks like barely a 1 star game. Killzone maybe a generous 3.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: You forgot about the developers! Hundreds of people worked furiously to put out these games. By playing them badly GB is disrespecting their efforts and potentially putting their jobs at risk and damaging further entries in a franchise.

Think about it: Valkyria Chronicles was quicklooked on GB, never got an actual next gen sequel. Mirror's Edge, same thing. The reason Half Life 3 is taking so long? GB fucking about in Valve games. This can't be a coincidence.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Usernameandemail

@fredchuckdave: 2013's 1989 GOTY to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES

@trafalgarlaw: They all just bought up the shares in Sony because the price plummeted when the QL was released!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oubipaws said:

After watching all of these videos and reviews on Knack, I'm still stoked to play it. It just reminds me of the old school PS1 days and who didn't love Crash and Spyro? Killzone on the other hand just looks like another bland shooter, but only some time playing will help with that feeling.

Except that it's nothing like Crash or Spyro. Knack doesn't attempt humour, has no charm, and barely any personality. Plus the gameplay is nothing like those games.

The closest comparison would be God of War if you took out upgrades, magic, puzzles, different weapons, boobs, and an interesting setting.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, in the end, what really matters is what you think about the game. Both Killzone and Knack have been getting quite polarizing reviews. When I watched the quick looks, though I don't think Jeff did great, there were some problems with the game that I saw beyond that.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone show me proof of Knack's supposed platforming? It just looks like a bland brawler to me.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this leads to you asking giantbomb to give knack the "2013 GOTY in retrospect" 2 years from now.

And maybe demand an apology too ;)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#93  Edited By mike

If you spend enough time on the Giant Bomb forums, most people who complain about certain Quick Looks or reviews are rarely surprises. I'll let you read between the lines on that one.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Killzone looked as generic as it always is and knack looked uninspired.

I don't really care how they play the games. I'm not one to whine about people who play video games online not playing like I would while giving commentary.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who isn't getting either console, at least for awhile, neither of these quicklooks did anything to alter my stance. Killzone has never really appealed to me, and this one hasn't done anything to make me rethink that. That and as someone who tends to like the story in games, the moment i heard they blew up the helghast planet, then gave them half of their planet, and built a giant berlin wall, I was pretty much ready to move on. Knack looked like a really dull game, that frankly didn't look amazing to me graphically. Knack appears to be the very definition of a launch game, only I am surprised it is a first party one.

All that said, Jeff did nothing wrong in these, and the need for those invested in these games and systems to need to have their purchases justified are amazing. Even if they gushed over these games, talked up every potentially good feature and minimized the bad, eventually you will play them yourself. Does Jeff giving you a nod of acknowledgment in your choice of games and system as the right one somehow transform these games in some dramatic way? Would it play better for you? Will it play worse now?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@truthtellah said:

I hate you right now.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're writers, not professional gamers. I find it hard to judge how they're playing a game. I didn't watch the PS4 quicklooks yet, because I want to experience the games for myself. I'm aware of the reviews for the games, but I'm sure I'll have fun anyway. I haven't played console games in years, so I'm excited even for shitty launch titles. The multiplatform stuff seems better than any of the exclusives on either platform.

I watch quicklooks for laughs and entertainment first. We're all humans with different preferences. Jeff not liking a game that I want to like doesn't bother me. I respect his opinion and I think he's one of the best review writers out right now. I often don't share the same opinions, but I don't ever think "he played it wrong or doesn't want to like it."

I enjoy Killzone games. I didn't buy Knack though. I've been on the fence for a while.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I think people were just hoping for something more. It's been a long time since the last launch and we desperately want to be excited about something. Unfortunately, while Knack and Killzone are competent, they don't offer anything new. This may be unfair, but it is the truth.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#99  Edited By crithon

I don't think it's just that these games are poorly design, it's more about your willingness to just try it. Like as much as everyone is praising Resogun, I can't help but think of Super Stardust HD. I really want something like Burnout Paradise level of excitement for a game to scream next gen, but even Burnout Paradise recycled settings from Burnout Revenge.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't watched the Knack QL yet but Killzone looked terrible, no matter who's playing.