Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Sword/Shield

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 15, 2019

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield is a RPG game for the Nintendo Switch which is set in the Galar region.

Pokemon Switch - Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee - Releases Nov 16th 2018, New Gen in 2019

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

So it's true, the "before the end of May" rumor ended up happening. Here it is:

It's a remake of Pokemon Yellow.

The surprise though, is that there's a new core RPG game coming for the switch in 2019.

Avatar image for tigerface_killah
    Tigerface_Killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@aegon: I don't know how to take this. So is the game coming out this fall still a conventional Pokémon game but with go integration? Or is it a more simplified Pokémon experience designed for children?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: I don't know how to take this. So is the game coming out this fall still a conventional Pokémon game but with go integration? Or is it a more simplified Pokémon experience designed for children?

I think it's more simplified. No battles with wild pokemon is what I've read. Not my cup of tea. Still another game to look out for.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I am very here for Eevee dress-up and a remake of Yellow that doesn't force me to get Pikachu. I feel like they just casually slipped in what appears to be non-random encounters in that video which seems like a crazy announcement. Would also be interested to learn more about if the multiplayer goes beyond just simultaneous Pokeball throwing.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nicksmi56

I wasn't expecting much based on the rumors, but I'm actually super pumped for this. Not only is this an awesome looking Yellow remake in full 3D graphics, but we also get that fun way of catching Pokemon in GO that everyone fell in love with along with trainer battles! Beat of both worlds!

Also as much fun as battling wild Pokemon is, no one can deny that sometimes the requirements for catching those Pokemon were complete and utter nonsense (Seriously RNG? Several Ultra Balls for a freaking level 2 Wobuffet in Pearl?) so forgoing those aspects for one game isn't something I'll lose sleep over.

Guaranteed purchase for me if the game keeps looking this good. Pikachu and I are in for one heck of an adventure!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll be waiting for this supposed "core" title coming in 2019. Maybe that'll make me get a switch.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, depending on how that two player mode pans out I may get this. Could be fun to play with my daughter!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8 sweep  Moderator

From IGN:

In Pokemon Let’s Go, wild Pokemon will be seen roaming the world in real time, replacing random battles. When you touch one of these Pokemon, the encounter becomes nearly identical to a Pokemon Go encounter. The Pokemon will be on screen, giving you an opportunity to throw a Poke Ball to catch it, no battling involved. It appears that some, if not all, of the mechanics from Pokemon Go are translated exactly into Let’s Go – as in, how well you throw the Poke Ball determines your chance of catching the Pokemon. It’s not much of a surprise, considering Masuda designed those Poke Ball-throwing gameplay mechanics for Pokemon Go.

Trainer battles will be familiar to those who have played any core Pokemon game. They are classic, turn-based RPG battles, with each Pokemon having four moves to choose from.

I'm tentatively on board with that. I have no real interest in playing Pokemon GO any more, but I like the idea that you can see the pokemon roaming around rather than running circles through a patch of grass in the hopes you bump into them. It's also going to be weird seeing how that integration works, as Pokemon GO has a whole heap of microtransactions available.

It sounds like the game I really want is the 2019 version, so maybe I'll just wait for that.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I would be very disappointed if this was the core Pokémon game, but since it's not it looks ok. The thing with the Pokemon roaming the world seems like could also work as a test for the core game, if they are going fore something bigger open world the grass stuff is not gonna fly, at least not for big pokémon.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't get it but my partner is SCREAMING ECSTATICALLY so I guess this is good.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Pokemon go ( it's just bland ) but the integration with the switch is real smart to pull over your moms dads and grandmas and grandpas who played the game.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was fucking bummed until they announced that there's a real pokemon game coming next year. Go is dumb, but I'll probably pick this up for some 2 player with my girlfriend. They're really smart for putting this out first though. If it can pull in some of the Go audience and a percentage of those people buy the next real game because of it then that's a good thing.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't care for the pokemon go stuff, but honestly I couldn't be more excited for this. I'm getting the Eevee one for sure. I can see it not being for everyone but I think its adorable!

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It looks better than I expected in some ways, but I'd rather just wait until the next core title.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MezZa

This is a smart release for them. It satisfies people who want to go back to the origin of the series, it provides a stepping stone for Go players and for new Switch players who have never played a Pokemon game, and it gives them a chance to play around with developing for the switch.

I'm not expecting it to emulate my experience playing yellow or gold for the first time, but it looks like a fun and chill time. Also would be fun to play with my girlfriend who enjoys pokemon but doesnt have the time for a full pokemon rpg.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. I'll wait until next year I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.