Anyone else here going to put some time into RDR1 before two comes out?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Anyone else here going to put some time into RDR1 before two comes out? (117 votes)

Yeah, I plan on playing it some before two comes out. 15%
I've never played the first one but plan to before two comes out! 2%
Maybe. 13%
No, but I'm definitely getting two. 42%
No, and I don't actually plan on playing two. 18%
Other option not listed. 10%

Anyone else getting pumped up for RDR2 by playing the first game? I generally like playing games similar to a game I'm excited about before it comes out, or like in this case, a game from the same series prior to the release of the sequel. I went through the first game again almost two years ago, and I'm not sure if I should beat it again or just keep going with my 100 percent completion file. Red Dead Redemption is a game that I can just spend time in exploring the environments, soaking in the atmosphere, and now more than ever playing it on a 4K screen on the X it's reinvigorating. What about all of you?

• 
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I won't be able to get RDR2 right away so I was thinking to maybe mess around with RDR1 a bit. I've been talking to someone about this game and the more I think about, the more I feel like I like it more than I thought I did. It's not that I didn't like it but the repetitive mission designs really got to me as I remember and I couldn't care for anyone in the game except Bonnie. It's definitely a game I should revisit but I'd want to see the whole thing over which is quite a commitment.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wasnt the biggest fan of Red Dead Redemption, so no. I will be getting 2 though, I'm not sure why, none of the stuff they have said about it makes me excited, sorry about being a buzzkill. One thing I will say is that Rockstar make impressive games even if some aspects dont always land I feel like they're always worth seeing.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already played it about 2-3 months ago on X. The Mexico part kinda turned into a crawl, but I still liked the game as a whole. Certainly more than what I did at release. Undead Nightmare was so buggy that I stopped after a couple of hours.

I'll buy RDR2, though I don't have any crazy hype built up for it.

FNGbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was thinking about it since Waypoint is doing a 101 on it, but it's so close to release that I don't want to get burned out on open-world cowboys. Maybe I'll put it in, if there's a lull, just to get a feel for how different 2 is.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've been playing through it again off and on over the past year in preparation, though I doubt I'll actually be able to finish it in time. I just got an X, so I'm going to pop it in to marvel at the fidelity for an hour, but I don't think I'm going to to try and push through to the end or anything.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played a little bit when the X enhancements came out. I have a save that's just at the start of the Blackwater stuff. I'll play a little bit before 2, but not complete my playthrough.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Played the first few hours on XB1 and the music and atmosphere are still as compelling as ever. I plan on mainlining the story before 2.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the game the whole way through for the first time ever a few months ago when I got my Xbox One X. Really great game.

I'm excited to play 2 on XB1X as well. I'm sure it'll be a technical powerhouse

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bybeach

No, and I am not sure I am picking up RDR2 right away. Although nothing against it, it sure looks like among other things, it is a real pretty game.

I wanted to like RDR1, and I truly take to Marston. But something about RDR, I just did not like how it looked, and the whole cowboy thing sometimes is hit or miss for me.

What I really want to do is watch some westerns; like Once upon a time in the West, and Hombre, I think it was. Also Westerns I haven't seen before, like Bone Tomahawk, and the others I keep writing down.

That Might get me in the mood.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea of "warming up" to a game was completely foreign to me before I saw a lot of streamers doing it. While I understand the sentiment it's just the complete opposite of what I'd want to do. I deliberately go out of my way to mix things up to keep things fresh.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I was thinking about finally playing Dead Nightmare, but I'm afraid to burn out quickly on the new one if I do it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totsboy: Originally I remember thinking it was a good DLC, one of those 'best video game holiday DLC's' kind of thing, but it's really not. I don't think it's worth getting. You'll find yourself repetitively going from point A to B, walking up to zombies and pulling right trigger for an instant kill until the DLC is over. The story isn't that interesting either nor is it goofy enough to justify seeing. There are also no real side missions with character interactions.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ntm: I already have it actually, just never played. But thanks for the info, seems like it's not the time to dust off the old ps3 hehe

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totsboy: Ah. Alright, well if you already have it and were interested you should give it a go anyways unless playing the PS3 right now is inconvenient. Also, I do wonder how the PS3 version is now. It's where I played it all first, but then went ahead and bought it all on the Xbox 360 (or Xbox One back compat) in 2016, and now on the X in 4K. I fell in love with the game on PS3, but considering it's the far inferior version from a technical side, and now that I've played the best version technically, I wonder what it's like.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I replayed Red Dead when the Xbox One X Goddamn-This-Game-Holds-Up-Update was released.

I got to Mexico when the game came out and gave up on it. It was always a game I wanted to finish, but it was too damned long.

Anyhow, I started over and pushed through to finish the game, but Mexico is still too damned long and meandering.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont want to accidentally burn myself out on it so I'm actively avoiding playing any red dead redemption before 2 comes out, honestly

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i dont see how you couldn't! so fantastic, im a few hours into Mexico, but i keep getting distracted being a terrible murderer haha

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDR is one of those games that I know right off the bat isn't for me. Not only have Rockstar's worlds always failed at grabbing me (never lasted more than 3 or 4 hours playing a GTA), but westerns generally aren't a genre I'll go out of my way to get into.

That said, enjoy the replay and hope the sequel lives up to everyone's hopes and dreams :)

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't have time to play it again with so many games out right now, but I'm def buying it day one

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suspect I'll just buy RDR2 when it hits PC in the spring (that should be enough time for the first wave of sales). I tried to replay RDR1 when it hit the first wave of backwards compatibility on xbone but the rockstar tutorial that lasts three hours drove me away. Tempted to give it another go but I just don't see myself having the time.

Although, does anyone know if you still get any of the recent visual improvements to RDR1 if you only have an xbone, not an xbonex?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I would absolutely love to as I don't have anything in my PS4 backlog I'm utterly dying to play in the month running up to it, but I haven't hooked my PS3 up to a TV in nearly two years and I have a pretty specific memory of the buttons on my DS3 no longer working when I did plug it in. I can't really justify buying a new controller for a console I never use just to play a game I'd already played at least three times to completion.

monosukoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: You should be able to use your DualShock 4 if you connect it with USB. That's what I did yesterday since my DS3 wouldn't work.

It's pretty rough to look at these days, imo. Kinda crazy how far my personal thresholds for technical performance have changed. It's one of my favourite games of all time but playing it on a PS3 is quite difficult for me. I'll give it another shot but perhaps it's a memory best left kept in my head.