People are DDoSing Jim Sterling

• 133 results
NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Over his 7/10 review of BoTW. I thought we were past this but it sounds like the "8.8!?!?" crowd is at it again.

- Review scores are high: Gamergate! Unethical! You're all taking bribes!

- Review scores are low: Unethical! You must have a grudge against the dev/publisher.

Christ, some people are so juvenile.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Death threats and DDoS attacks? Come on internet. This man hates fun and joy. Isn't that punishment enough?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Large number of sociopaths on the internet sadly.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Human nature doesn't change.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assholes. That dude has been through enough this year.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Jim has had to deal with DDoS attacks a a few times now.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7 MattyFTM  Moderator

Well I for one think Jim was far too negative with his rating. The game clearly deserves an 8.8.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I only read Jims reviews every now and then. I think the reaction to the review is pretty insane. He makes a lot of valid criticisms that I have seen made at other outlets, including here. I honesty thought he did a better job then Dan when it came to extrapolating on why the systems work or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: I agree. The turn of phase where he said 'no wonder hurdle can't defeat gannon if their swords are made out of glass and wishes' :D. It a well written review that justifies it's score, but people see the score and assume he hates the game or is being overly critical to get one over Nintendo.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually a little surprised a Patreon-supported reviewer like him bothers with scores. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

Since when is above average bad?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video game enthusiasts acting stupid on the internet? There's a first time for everything, I guess.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soulcake

Finally some with the balls to call this game out :P No serious you don't wanna ddos a guy who has a kellogs fetishist as a Alias. Hope those internet trolls get tired, big fan of what Jim does and he kinda reminds me of Jeff Gerstmann in his younger years. (review wise/content wise)

Also this tweet says it all

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyrodactyl

@heartagram: 7/10 is very much under average in video game land

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Over his 7/10 review of BoTW. I thought we were past this but it sounds like the "8.8!?!?" crowd is at it again.

- Review scores are high: Gamergate! Unethical! You're all taking bribes!

- Review scores are low: Unethical! You must have a grudge against the dev/publisher.

Christ, some people are so juvenile.

More like some people are different people. Not that I necessarily agree with either of them.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: I agree. The turn of phase where he said 'no wonder hurdle can't defeat gannon if their swords are made out of glass and wishes' :D. It a well written review that justifies it's score, but people see the score and assume he hates the game or is being overly critical to get one over Nintendo.

I haven't read the review but this quote is such a nitpick. I hope he makes a better case elsewhere because if his main point is "weapons break duh" he completely missed the point of the game.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god damnit I fucking hate video games

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Undeadpool

"WE HAVE ATTACHED OUR EGOS TO A PRODUCT AND SEE ANY SLIGHT AGAINST IT AS A PERSONAL ATTACK!!!"

There we are. Summed it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: it's not s nitpick, it's a core mechanic to the game, if he doesn't enjoy the mechanic then that's a massive part of the game he's not enjoying.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NeverGameOver

@spaceinsomniac: everyone who falls into those two groups needs to grow up. I don't care if they are different groups. Video games are subjective. The fact that I disagree with someone's opinions does not alone justify me calling their motives into question

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's 8.8gate all over again!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: Bleh, sure. He didn't like the game. His loss. The weapon degradation mechanic meshs perfectly with the rest of the design by forcing creativity and experimentation. It rewards discovery since there's always cool new weapons just around the corner.

As long as you explore, experiment with other ways to dispatch enemies and aren't OCD with your weapon usage it is totally fine. Bonus: chucking a sword to have it shatter on an enemy's face pushing him off a cliff is a very fun thing to do.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: they really should tell you how much durability they have remaining though... before they are about to break.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By paulmako

Are the dozens of other reviews saying it's one of the best games ever made not enough?

It's like when people were saying that Witcher 3 was overlooked because GB didn't love it as much as everyone else. It got over 150 GOTY awards elsewhere, it more than got its due.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Onemanarmyy

It's no surprise that this comes with Breath of the Wild

You have a perfect storm of Nintendo Switch fans who want their exclusives to be amazing to make this console successful. On top of that you have Zelda fans and Metacritic obsessives to make sure that Zelda will be on the top of that board and therefore 'The best game of all time' .

Any negativity regarding Zelda directly impacts the desirability of the Switch, and will lower the metascore so that John can't link his collegues to metacritic to argue that indeed Zelda is the best game ever created.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BotW might've become the best rated game ever, but thank GOD for Jim fucking Sterling

Son

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By ShaggE

Oh, for fucking out loud. Granted, these are the folks that will flip out over absolutely everything, from issues of actual importance to mom buying the wrong flavor of Hot Pockets, but what is it about throwing chickens and fighting a pig guy (sorry, I never liked Zelda, so my knowledge of it is limited) that creates such rage-filled obsession?

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thebrainninja

@pyrodactyl: I...think most of us understand this and are fine with the mechanic. It's also fine for people to not like that though? It isn't that he doesn't understand it, he just doesn't like it. So he said he didn't. Which is his opinion, and he's welcome to it, and your sourpuss "his loss" comes across as a weird attempt to validate the grotesque internet mob that forms around trivial bullshit like review scores.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are assholes. Don't need to look further than the White House to know that.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also going to presume the same people doing this were probably praying for Horizon to get 7/10s.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'd disagree with the score to a degree and find him pretty obnoxious and curmudgeonly, but doing that to him for his fucking opinion is bullshit.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: whatever happened to that game that causes you physical pain? that's a thing we need more of, for reasons.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I genuinely think Jim Sterling is one of the best driving forces in the industry currently, and his tweet linked above is just icing on the cake. A little skepticism is healthy. I'm glad he'll continue to make videos despite people fucking with him, as he has in the past.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not really a Jim Sterling fan as I often find him too objectionist sometimes, in that I think it's intentional. I have no opinion on his Zelda review score. What I do have an opinion on is that DDoS'ing, or Swatting someone or anything like that, for their opinion on video games is fucking ridiculous and criminal.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: that tweet is actually a pretty stand up comment from him, all things considered. i do feel games media (and the communities surrounding it) is tipping closer to cynical for my tastes, but anyone should be free to share their honest opinion for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me thinks some people take Metacritic scores a little bit too seriously.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pyrodactyl

@nevergameover: That would only make people more crazy about not using good weapons because their durability bar is going to go down. The best thing to do is to not worry about it. Use your best gear always. It'll be ok.

@thebrainninja: I'm not validating these assholes. My point was that the game is great and if he can't enjoy it, it is very much his loss.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the thing I like or else

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: kinda sad that people can't simply enjoy and hope for the success of multiple things nowadays. i mean, you do you want more good things, right?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Zevvion

Attacking someone over his opinion on a videogame that doesn't affect you in any sort of way.

Arguments? Sure. Discussion? Always. Insults? Eh... crossing a line there. Targeted attacks? Yeah, there is something wrong with you.

Digressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fan of Zelda, Nintendo, or Jim Sterling really (although I certainly don't hate them either) so as someone who doesn't support a side in this...this is really dumb. Hooboy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud said:

Me thinks some people take Metacritic scores a little bit too seriously.

There was literally a guy posting constantly in the comments of his review that he strategically scored low (with a fellow journalist who he's friends with) to knock the score down to 97 to deny it the best game ever status on Metacritic. And consistently did so for several posts. And he sounded so angry, like someone had I gone up to his child and told him that he's not that good at life.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Eurobum

Mr. Sterling is a much better writer than a Youtube orator, certainly better than Dan's or Austin's effort. Also everybody should go read his review, this instant. That's how a DDOS works, right?

http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/

A garish stamina wheel appears whenever Link runs, climbs, swims, or uses his paraglider...

It certainly is garish, I wondered about why they chose an UI that looks so flat and unadorned. Is it just that one stares at it for so long, so the less there is - the less is there to be irritating?

No Caption Provided

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jsnyder82

This is why I don't like to call myself a 'gamer'. I get lumped in with these children.

I personally love the game, but the breakable weapon thing is a perfectly valid criticism, and I can completely understand why someone wouldn't care for it. To attack somebody for that is insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: Haha, it's seriously crazy. Like I understand that stuff might be important on some level, but one man is not going to be able to impact the sales of a Zelda game by lowering the Metacritic score down by 1 point.

And even if he was able to, who fucking gives a shit. The game would still sell boatloads. What are these fanboys even fighting for?

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By MachoFantastico

If I've learnt anything, its that Nintendo fans will get upset over anything that might criticise their precious franchises. Nintendo could put a bag of dog poo in a case and call it Zelda and they'd rave about it. Personally I haven't played Breath of the Wild (hope to soon however) but it sounds like he made some valid points. Should note, I don't like Jim Sterling much at all but doing stuff like this is pathetic. It's actually nice to hear some criticisms of the mechanics. Appreciated when Jeff did this to, feel like all the reviews I read/watched did was praise, praise, praise without offering any criticisms.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Important to remember that in his review he says that Zelda is a good game and that he likes it.

But the numbeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrs

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: I just end up feeling so sad for people like that. Assuming they aren't literal children (which they probably are) what has to happen in your life that a fucking flawed system like Metacritic has so much power over you.