• 123 results
Avatar image for infinite_zero00
infinite_zero00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'll echo the sentiments of others and say this will be awesome for Rocket League, Destiny, The Division and other games. Hopefully this could lead to more games coming to Xbox One like FFXIV. I could see Rocket League and Minecraft being the front runners for this initiative as they are both super popular and one is owned by Microsoft.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great news but it's an odd celebratory announcement considering MS has always been the roadblock in cross-platfrom play, proof will be in the pudding.

The XB1 does need some sort of saving apart from losing significant market share to the PS4 the 360 will start tracking above the XB1 this year, it's why MS has been scaling back Xbox and porting its niche first party titles to PC.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mattyftm said:

Does this mean Square Enix will bring Final Fantasy XIV to Xbox One? They have stated in the past that they wanted to do this, but that the Xbox rules on cross platform play were preventing them from doing it. It'll be interesting to see whether Square jump on board with that or whether that ship has already sailed.

It's a lot more likely now that's for sure.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nothing but good news, as long they aren't trying to charge for online access for PC games.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By notnert427

@shivoa said:

@notnert427: You say that as if they're at all related. Other things that have also happened while MS stocks have trended to rise: the write-off of several failed phone projects, Zune, and the move from IE being the major browser used to access the web to it only clearly being ahead of Opera and massively behind Google.

Companies refusing the announce details of how their groups are operating (especially when they previously have been very clear on it) is always dodgy. It's dodgy when Intel hides their mobile losses by regrouping their financial reporting. It's dodgy when MS do it. No company has ever had good news about their market dominance and decided the best thing to do it rework their reporting so that no one hears about it. Their refusal to publish numbers is a bad sign. Flat out. There is no other interpretation.

Investors care about the stock price, and any one of them worth their salt considers the whole picture. I'm not suggesting the Xbox One is the reason MS stock is up (MS is a huge company); but it's sure as hell not hurting MS overall (or their investors) as you implied. Also, companies have published good news and obfuscated bad news since the beginning of time. Do you honestly expect MS to highlight that they've sold fewer consoles than their biggest competitor? Conversely, do you expect Sony to highlight that they're lacking in exclusives? It's not "dodgy" to avoid publicizing shortcomings; it's just business common sense.

hi_im_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By hi_im_rob

I love this. Microsoft is just saying "Fuck it! Play our shit on Xbox or PC or whatever! Also, the Xbox is going to be more like steam machine."

Very excited to see what the future holds. I wouldn't rule out seeing Halo on a PS4 at some point now that the dam has broken.

This is the start of the "one box future" that people have been predicting for years. Except it might be many boxes that play everything (kind of like a PC I guess).

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

"Rocket League: Bringing us all...together"

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like real soccer, Rocket League brings all nations together.

Except America.

DGBruin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The idea of possibly playing games against my friends that would never buy an Xbox is exciting.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really cool idea. If this gets adopted wholesale though, I think there are certain genres where cross play does heavily favor PC (first-person shooters come to mind right away). Halo and CoD kids should start saving their money now, or prepare for years of punishment online.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

This is sort of crazy.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like this potential a lot. But then it feels like a matter of time where we'll just have PC's and a single console.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I really hope this works out. It feels like Sony has been pretty positive on cross-platform play so far - at least with PC. A world where we can all play together would be great; the only slight downside I could see would be that either games wouldn't be able to have cross-platform invites or that they'd have to build in their own in-game system (such as the Fighter ID in Street Fighter V). I remain hopeful, however.

Bananasneakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bananasneakers

Jeff's rant on this week's podcast about how desperate of a move this is to please the two existing Xbox owners is going to be something else. /s

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cross Play SMITE PLS when it come to PS4

bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

@dprotp: Yep and this sort of limitation pretty much kill any excitement I have for a feature like this.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I remember when cross-platform was a thing in 2000 with Quake 3 Arena for the Dreamcast when they allowed PC players to play against Dreamcast players. Of course, unfair advantages were brought up though playing field was levelled with the Dreamcast mouse and keyboard .

Man, that console. Waaay ahead of its time.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm actually surprised PC and Xbox took this long to do cross multiplayer stuff. I don't see PS4 and Xbox ever mixing, but I could be wrong I guess. Would be nice to play with people I know who own an Xbox.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rocket League is truly the saviour of gaming.

pawsoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Watch the shareholders shoot this one down when they get told that this means they'd have to drop hardware prices to be competitive against other companies rather than rely on the time old model of software exclusivity. Thus, lowering profit margins & dividends for everybody.

Though unlikely, ideally it'd be somewhat reminiscent of the Atari ST vs Amiga era in that the same games are released for both (unlike the SNES/Genesis era) & it's personal preference based on hardware & interface which version you ended going for.

Finally, as well as FFXIV, Street Fighter V is also already doing this with PC/PS4 crossplay. New initiative from Microsoft? Eh no~

cowthesundevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one wondering if we will ever get to have cross platform from the previous generation to the new? I have been wanting to play the same xbox one compatible games with my xbox 360 friends but I'm thinking this is never going to happen.... Thoughts?

xom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By xom

I think this could potentially turn into one of the best things that's happened to gaming in a long time.

The KB+M vs. Controller performance divide is obviously an issue for some games and genres. I wonder if it's possible to develop an input verification layer as a mechanism for enforcing controller-only lobbies/playlists? (in addition to separate KB+M-only or mixed playlists) You probably couldn't actually keep people from using KB+M in "controller only" lobbies, but you might be able to force them to need to act enough like a controller to avoid detection that it drastically reduced their advantage (in which case nobody would bother to do it).

I'm going to pick KB+M in any shooter where I have the choice, but I understand that some people just like playing w/ a controller better. It would be nice to have a place where you knew you weren't getting destroyed because of your controller preferences, and then people on both platforms could play in controller only lobbies (or even KB+M lobbies, if that comes to consoles, which seems likely at this point).

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this has anything to do with that NX rumor regarding being able to work with Playstation.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ehbunner

One can only hope that this is the first step in a long road, I mean it could be a short road but I feel like if this did happen it would probably start as just being in the same game as these people but not being able to say invite your friend on x1 to your squad while you're on a ps4. I think for most of us, this is what we want from this situation and I just don't see it starting this way. Maybe years down the line this happens I just don't see it happening the way I'd want it to.

Also as mentioned when Sony was on board with doing this they were in the position Microsoft is in now, it will be interesting to see if that has changed now that the positions have reversed and as someone else pointed out will they go along with it just to keep the "for the gamers" reputation they are trying to build

Either way it's interesting news that I look forward to seeing pan out

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought that Shadowrun shooter was pretty fun and got more flak than it deserved. I know that's not what this story is about but that's all I have to say. XD

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By audiosnow

@hassun said:

Playing Titanfall (or basically any fps) against PC users while using a console sounds like a very bad time.

I am personally very wary of Microsoft's intentions considering its infamous "Embrace, extend and extinguish" strategy because this fits perfectly into that mold.

There is also the matter of the Xone no longer existing in its current state and basically becoming a sort of Windows 10 TV PC box. The aspect of having cross-console gaming seems little more than an interesting side note.

P.S.

Durante also chimed in about Microsoft's UWA plans. It's a good read: http://www.pcgamer.com/why-pc-games-should-never-become-universal-apps/#page-1

Keep in mind that strategy was in place twenty years ago, before Microsoft was forced into court over antitrust litigation. It's still a prevalent policy, under many names within many corporations, but twenty years is a long time. Apple's gone from bankrupt, to up-and-comer, to a standard of quality, to a standard of mediocrity, all within that timespan. And heck, I still have an Intel processor despite their $1.2B payout to AMD for unfair competition.

@pickassoreborn said:

I remember when cross-platform was a thing in 2000 with Quake 3 Arena for the Dreamcast when they allowed PC players to play against Dreamcast players. Of course, unfair advantages were brought up though playing field was levelled with the Dreamcast mouse and keyboard .

Man, that console. Waaay ahead of its time.

I just watched a video with Ryan talking about how he ruled Quake 3 on Dreamcast with the DC mouse and keyboard. I tried playing with the controller: that thing does not work...

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By hassun

@mlarrabee: It's true that this was a while ago but MS has done little to convince me that they have changed. If this were a few months ago I would be more receptive of their message but the recent vague UWA statements and criticism of it by people who I consider to be quite knowledgeable have renewed my wariness.

Jarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xom said:

The KB+M vs. Controller performance divide is obviously an issue for some games and genres. I wonder if it's possible to develop an input verification layer as a mechanism for enforcing controller-only lobbies/playlists?

I play Rocket League on a PC using a Stream Controller with my own custom control scheme, which has capabilities not available to a standard console controller. Which lobby would I be placed in?

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: Do you think it makes Microsoft look desperate?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, in this hypothetical perfect world, you wouldn't need to worry about where all of your friends are playing and could focus on the merits of the platform alone when making a purchasing decision? Sounds iffy.

Backstabuuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Backstabuuu

@babychoochoo: FFIV is the best MMO I have ever played and I am totally all for more people being able to play it.

I'm also holding out hope that this means that The Division will one day be cross platform, as my brother couldn't get it on PC so he can't play with my friends and I.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

There were a few years there, where Shadowrun on Xbox had amazing community. I would play it everyday, and with a lot of really cool people, that always talked and had fun on the mics. The game was so unique and so fun, that its a shame it got so much hate for having the Shadowrun name, because I loved it so much.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

First thing comes to mind, i really hope Destiny 2 can use this

That is my thought on the matter. It would require an actual Destiny account tied to your Gamertag/PS ID so your character can progress over, and people actually using the party chat they so desperately wanted.

Forgive me if im wrong or misunderstand, but isnt that how it works already? that our characters are more stationed on Bungie's side rather than directly tied to the Gamertag or PS ID?

Given their whole grand ambitions with that series, id be shocked if they didn't pursue using this capability for the sequel

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dprotp: Yep and this sort of limitation pretty much kill any excitement I have for a feature like this.

On the bright side, it increases the pool of potential matches for Xbox players, which is always a good thing. And there's always private matches!

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all this talk of UWP and cross console play brings me back to the days of Games for Windows live and Shadowrun.. so now that we had the bad news of yesteryear returning.. then i want the good stuff back as well.... so someone need to call Jeff Green and bring back GFW-Radio podcast!

xom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarno: A great question, I don't know! It's not even a problem that needs solving in most cases. But for a subset of games where it clearly has been, or would be, an issue, like competitive FPS, I just wonder if there's a software solution that could end the debate, and make everyone happy.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Nah, Titanfall was totally fine on PC with controller. I regularly was top scorer and almost never used K+M. That said, it was also pretty specifically designed for players like me in mind.

Didn't hurt that it had tons of aim assist on PC that basically made it unfair for KB/M users.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I love that this is actually news. I hope that the issues I have with UWP (namely, lack of end-user file access and modification, hardware restrictions and the like) are resolved in a way that's satisfactory to both PC power-users and Microsoft. This may not actually happen, but it'll have to for the Universal Windows Experience to actually take off.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm all for crazy shit, and Microsoft seems to be doing the craziest of shit lately.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks big on paper, but I don't know if it'll actually be a big deal except for a few notable titles from a handful of companies. I might care if Destiny ever comes to PC...by then it should be pretty content packed right?

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good. Fresh aerially-untrained meat in Rocket League. This is very good.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I love how MS super refuses to plainly say, hey you might be able to cross play with PS4!

tr0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how MS super refuses to plainly say, hey you might be able to cross play with PS4!

We don't know if that will be possible. Only PC/PS4 and PC/XBOX1 at the moment.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your move Adam Boyes!

@hassun: Nah, Titanfall was totally fine on PC with controller. I regularly was top scorer and almost never used K+M. That said, it was also pretty specifically designed for players like me in mind.

Humble brag.

bradgrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It strikes me that the most important reason for this change is so that people can buy PC games on the Windows 10 store without orphaning themselves from the larger Steam multiplayer community. The Xbox One to PS4 benefit is, if anything, just a bonus of Microsoft's shifting strategic focus to Windows 10 over and above Xbox consoles.

Tomba_be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOWTO: Implement cross-platform multiplayer with XBOX Live:

1. Pay $100 000 one time setup fee
  2. Pay $10 000 per month for server rentals
  3. All multiplayer traffic for your game must go through MS servers
  4. MS reserves the right to disable servers at any moment in time

I'm not saying that this is true, but MS has been known to add severe restrictions (eg Launch parity) to developers. A scheme like this could also provide MS with a way to make money of the PS4 success.

Hopefully it's just a simple "connect to this interface for XBL player data, do with it what you want after that" solution.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Whoa. I can't wait to see where in the world this is going to go.