Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Boy

Platform »

Nintendo's first handheld gaming console was immensely popular among gamers, selling millions. Despite its grayscale color scheme, it still got support from developers and publishers.

Original Gameboy Games

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Griff

I just brought the grey brick back into my collection but I've lost all my games.  I had Street Fighter and Zelda: Link's Awakening I recall.  I'm sure the Poke's were in there too. I'm planning on picking a few new used games up from a local place and I need some suggestions.  On the list are:

• Metroid 2
    • Final Fantasy Adventure
    • Super Mario Land 2
    • Wario Land

I'm sure there are plenty of people who remember their first Gameboy on the Giant Bomb forums.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RLLink

Well, you already chose Metroid 2 and Mario Land 2.
    You should get Link's Awakening back, though. That game is good. I can't remember any of the other games I used to play on the good 'ol brick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I had Tetris and Battletoads which were both hard as fuck, but then I bought Pokemon and my life was complete.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

The Game Boy version of Bionic Commando was pretty sweet.  I'd also recommend tracking down Final Fantasy Legend III.

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Griff

I was thinking about Battletoads but didn't know if it was worth picking up.   I will have to get Link's Awakening back.  What about the Mega Man series?  Anything good there on Gameboy?

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidSwords

Gargoyles Quest was an awesome game, The only Final Fantasy that I actually played and passed was on the OG GB. Castlevania Adventure was great but never beat

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Griff

I owned Legend 1 and 2 they...worked for the time period they were in.  Does Legend 3 make any improvements from 1 and 2?  Like removing decaying spells and weapons? Can I still "Eat the Meat" Hahahah

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Balloon Kid is a very overlooked game you should get, as is The Final Fantasy Legend if you want an easy grindfest.

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Griff

I will have to try to find Gargoyles Quest and Balloon Kid.  Possibly Bionic Commando too.  No more Legend 1 or 2 though.  I can't do that to myself any more.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Famov

Get the rest of the Mario/Wario Land series. Everything up to Wario Land 2 are playable on Brick gameboys. 

Gargoyles Quest (just picked that one up yesterday from a used game shop) is great. Link's Awakening may be the best game on the system. For more Zelda-ish games, you may want to try the dated but otherwise very fun Rolan's Curse games.

I'm not sure if you're into pokemon anymore or not, but if you happen to be, I recommend being extremely careful with getting Gold, Silver, or Crystal, as from what I've been told they're almost guaranteed to have worn out their original internal batteries due to the power intensive internal clocks. If you have a used game shop you go to, insist on trying the carts out on your own gameboy first and see if a save file exists or not. 

And I second your intention to get Metroid 2, as it is viciously underrated while being a good deal more playable than the NES classic.  

Speaking of being viciously underrated, that pretty much describes the gameboy platform as a whole. This investment is very much worth your while.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Karmum

How about the Gameboy version of Metal Gear Solid?

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By citizenjp

Wario Land was the shit! I use to love that game so much back in the day! I miss it! >_<

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Griff

Hahaha it's only a small part of me trying to bulk up my collection.  Thanks for the advice Famov.  I'll be sure to check the carts before buying. I suppose I'll grab the poke's just to have them not to play.  I can't do that to myself again.  Ohhhh the scars from playing the same game twinges at the thought.   I haven't heard of Rolan's Curse.  I'll look it up.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidSwords

Totally forgot about  Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening! Played this game so much when it came out

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Griff

I'm pretty certain that Metal Gear Solid was for Gameboy color Karmum.  I'm just looking for OG Gameboy games.

I, unfortunately, never have played Wario Land.  I've heard great things from the Retronauts.  I'm sold.  You guys have cemented the fact I need to get Wario Land 1 and 2.

Link's Awakening is amazing. Definitely a top Zelda game for anyone who knows the series. At risk of starting some stuff, I'll say it's my second favorite.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By eirikr

Mega Man IV and V are excellent games, though very pricey. My personal favorite GB game is Final Fantasy Adventure, much better than its GBA remake. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge is fairly decent too (the first is abysmal, watch out), and has excellent music.

Almost all of Nintendo's games for the system are still worth playing. Besides everyone else's suggestions, check out Mole Mania, it's a fun little puzzler released late in the system's life and forgotten.

raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raegunz_

Double Dragon, yo!! lol

The best ones have already been mentioned, so I'll just put in my vote for Wario Land 1 & 2 as well.

A few faves of mine when I was but a wee geekling were Metroid II, Kirby's Pinball Land and Pokemon Red. 
    Oh, God, and Road Rash.

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Griff

Thanks Eirikr.  Mole Mania looks interesting. If I can find it I'll grab it. I'll keep an eye out for cheap Mega Mans too.

I never was really into Kirby but he's got a few notable games on the brick right?  Anybody know a little more about those?

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Griff

I had no idea Road Rash was on Gameboy.  I forgot about Double Dragon.  So many games.  Good thing they're no more than ten dollars a piece

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#20  Edited By joey

Kirby's dreamland.
    @Karmum said:

" How about the Gameboy version of Metal Gear Solid? "

im pretty sure that was game boy color.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Karmum
    @joey said:
    " Kirby's dreamland.
    @Karmum said:
    " How about the Gameboy version of Metal Gear Solid? "
    im pretty sure that was game boy color. "
    You're right, I feel damn silly now. That was a great game, though.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By eirikr
    @Griff: Kirby's one I forgot. The first Kirby's Dreamland is fun, but you'll be able to beat it in 15 minutes. It's literally one of the easiest games ever.  Dreamland 2 I've never played, but I assume it's a bit more complicated because of your helper friends you get. I'd say to avoid Kirby's Pinball Land. I've had it since it came out as a kid, and I've never been able to do jack shit in it. It's just kind of frustrating.
    Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Griff

I like easy.  Especially on a hand-held.  I'll grab Dreamland for sure.

Griff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Griff

Alright, I think that's enough to go on now.  Thanks for all the Game Boy recommendations.  I'll need help again when I pick up a neo geo pocket and a nomad.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By yakov456

Your list are some of the best games out there for it. I also enjoyed the first Castlevania game on there, and motorcross maniacs. I believe there was a ninja turtles game I loved as well. Not sure if they stand the test of time but I know back then they were cherished by me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.