Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

Twenty five years have passed since the decimation of the Locust & Lambent threats on the planet Sera. However a new race of monsters have taken their place and JD Fenix, son of series protagonist Marcus Fenix, has taken up the mantle in helping to protect humanity.

Ultimate Edition live. Massive PC benchmark post from the developer.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

The newest entry in the Gears franchise is available for those that bought the expensive version. While looking up people's impressions I came across a massive blog post from The Coalition in which they benchmarked the game on an insane range of GPUs (and otherwise modest hardware).

Definitely worth checking out for yourself, but tl;dr - it runs like a dream, seemingly.

Part of me wonders if they put in the work for this post this given all the issues Forza Horizon 3 has on PC. Assuming their benchmarks pan out for players, I think it proves that FH3 is just a crappy PC port.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Zurv

i played a bit this morning. Running mostly solid at 60fps at 4k with ultra preset.

now to find someone i know to play co-op with...

@mike you getting this?!

No Caption Provided

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Different developers just same publisher i dont think a game as recent as forza could affect this game so quickly. They just put in the effort and time like they all should.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@zurv: I just finished downloading the Ultimate Edition

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By falconer

@oursin_360: I was referring to them putting in the work to benchmark a bunch of cards and making a big blog post about PC performance. The game was done long before Horizon was even out.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, early reports suggest this thing runs like a dream. I guess that's the difference between a custom Forza engine and the scalability of Unreal. I can confirm the Xbox version runs beautifully as well.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit a yesterday. it was running well. Though I was trying to run the game on ultra and some of the textures didn't seem to load in.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@par1val said:

I played a bit a yesterday. it was running well. Though I was trying to run the game on ultra and some of the textures didn't seem to load in.

Oh what kind of hardware?

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: im using a gtx 960( low end I know) but I kinda wanted to see what I can away with on ultra . Even on medium some textures didn't seem to load.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

@falconer said:

@oursin_360: I was referring to them putting in the work to benchmark a bunch of cards and making a big blog post about PC performance. The game was done long before Horizon was even out.

Ah, yeah that's definitely what happened lol. I wish i was still into gears I might have actually tried this.

@par1val said:

@mike: im using a gtx 960( low end I know) but I kinda wanted to see what I can away with on ultra . Even on medium some textures didn't seem to load.

Sounds like a throwback to unreal 3, but might have to do with how much vram you have? Or could just be some left over unreal texture streaming stuff.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two notes from this:

They ran benchmarks with v-sync off. Gross.

FOV slider! That's an unexpected surprise.

Overall I'm really glad the reports on this are good after I got scared away from Horizon 3. I'll probably pick this up eventually (quantum break went to steam after a few weeks. A man can dream!)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

here is how to looks on the PC.. i made a quick video.. it isn't 4k yet.. but youtube will take a day baking it.

Loading Video...

yes, i'm pretty bad :) hahaha

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nnickers said:

My two notes from this:

Overall I'm really glad the reports on this are good after I got scared away from Horizon 3. I'll probably pick this up eventually (quantum break went to steam after a few weeks. A man can dream!)

With V-Sync on then the benchmark says less (because it can only render X frames a second on the scan-out cadence and multiples of it - that's assuming the game uses what nVidia call "Fast V-Sync" where it renders even when the queue is full, so can render multiple complete frames per scan-out to reduce latency*) so it's generally advisable to benchmark without it. That way you can see if the game it only just hitting 60fps or actually is at more like 80fps constant at that point (which would not be enough extra perf to make a difference when only scanning out the buffer at 60Hz).

Really glad they didn't skip on the FoV slider as it's an accessibility option and we should expect more from developers who don't want to eventually find themselves in court because they're selling something which makes people sick. Hopefully one day that will stop being a surprise for ports (especially as the technical issues with implementing it are basically trivial if you start a project assuming the FoV is not fixed - something you should do because 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 screens are all popular enough, not to mention 21:9).

This benchmarking stuff looks really good. Was glad (and somewhat surprised) to see the GTA V port also got a lot of effort put into making a settings area that empowers users to make choices (like the VRAM bar showing expected max VRAM load as settings were modified) and splitting out the CPU and GPU load (with processing times) like this will also let users understand what the code they're running is expecting from their system and so how to tweak it (and even what to upgrade if the system is getting old) to get a balanced performance.

* eg you've got a 60 Hz screen and the game is capable of rendering at 120+ fps with current settings. Each scan-out the game can render the next frame, then render a complete extra one which takes into account the input since the last frame and updated state of the world before the scan-out happens. So it's a marginal latency reduction compared to rendering the next frame then waiting for the scan out before starting again (ok, the reality is slightly more complex due to buffers but that's close enough to true to make an explanation).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@par1val: Hey not sure if this applies to your GPU but I noticed this in the known issues thread over on the official Gears 4 forum:

Minimum Spec – Textures do not appear to stream properly

When running the game on a minimum spec 2GB VRAM video card for the first time, textures may not appear to stream properly.

Solution: Restart the game to resolve the issue.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched the early Digital Foundry videos where they found no issues in running the game on less than stellar hardware, but when you watch gameplay it's not like there's a ton of physics and insanely technical level design going on, areas are the size of what they've always been in the franchise, there's never more than a handful of people on screen, textures, effects and lighting are greater obviously but if it did have problems running i'd be concerned. At the very least we now have a solid technical demonstration of what the Unreal Engine 4 can do, i'm glad they didn't screw it up, maybe Forza should be on Unreal :P.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Thanks. I found the same posting early today. Played the game again after work and it was fine. The game runs well and looks good.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was hoping to see forza brake the mold in terms of xbox port performance on PC. Still, nice to see a major xbox franchise taking the time to make us pc snobs happy.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As boring as I think this game looks, major props to them for doing well by the PC userbase.

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

I was hoping to see forza brake the mold in terms of xbox port performance on PC. Still, nice to see a major xbox franchise taking the time to make us pc snobs happy.

The difference is that Forza uses their own (until recently) non-PC engine, while Gears 4 uses Unreal Engine 4, so I'm not surprised that it runs well. Hopefully, the Forza games will improve in the future as Turn 10 and Playground get more experience with PC development.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat

My friend on a 1070 and 8 core AMD CPU is getting about 120fps on Ultra @ 1080.

I should be able to get 70ish fps at 1440p on my 1070. Glad it is well documented. Nvidia also have a really great settings breakdown.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@nnickers said:

My two notes from this:

Why would you run a benchmark with Vsync on? Literally all Vsync does is limit the framerate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.