Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

God Of War 3 Banned?!?!

deacon_fall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deacon_fall
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Wasn't Dead Space released in Australia?

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By dietmango
    @Akeldama said:
    "dude Austrailia is getting gayer by the year. They are becoming worse than Germany  "

Weren't Dead Space and Fallout 3 initally banned in Australia? Or I could be wrong. But yeah I agree with the whole Aussie thing. What the hell is up with that? They need to lighten up a bit.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

I had a feeling this would happen. Something about disemboweling centaurs and ripping heads off just doesn't sit right with the OFLC.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Wolverine

Wow that is pretty ridiculous. It makes me appreciate America, anything can pretty much get released here.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

Ew. I agree, they're getting pretty ridiculous.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Wow, that fucking blows.  I'm glad I don't live in Australia.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cdfishman

so my guessing is if it is banned they are either going to go the manhunt 2 route of censoring?

or the doom green blood scenario?

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#9  Edited By Dimsey

All the bannings would bother me less if they weren't so apparently random about it. It'd still bother me. But less.
    Ninja Gaiden down here we lack decapitations and at least some blood splatter if I recall right.
    Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out with limbs flying everywhere and an amount of blood that would make an early Mortal Kombat game green with envy and nobody says shit.

Sometimes it feels like that whole group was set up to give some people a cushy job playing video games and they occasionally feel the need to pick one and ban it or strip it of content to justify their existence and keep getting paid.

I could ramble on more being all blahblahblah shitsux, blahblahblah parents should be the ones overseeing what their kids are playing, blahblahblah but it's all been said before.
    Sucks though.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mars_Cleric

It'll still come out just probably toned down.
    It's strange that this happened, I don't remember GOW or GOW2 having this problem.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

They can just import a copy. Still, their classifications board continues to suck balls.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Player1

Those damn video games corrupting our youth!!! 

But in all seriousness...this really saddens me to see. 
    cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cdstacker

Umm this is just the devs thinking out loud. The OFLC never banned dead space and only initially banned fallout due to the drug use (originally the names of the drugs were crack or meth, rather than psycho or jet). There is no reason for Australia to ban God of war 3, ninja gaiden 2 was released without incident, as was gears 2. The OFLC only restricts games which show realistic excess violence (the reservoir dogs game was banned because you could shove a cigar into a restrained man's eye) or the use of drugs without impairment, (drugs are allowed to be in the game or narrative, like GTA or the getaway, but not allowed when the player is rewarded for their use, thus why narc was banned and fallout is fine because the drugs have negative effects like addiction.)

I live in Australia, yes right now it sucks that one mp is vetoing the OFLC's request to create an R18+ rating, but the idea that god of war 3 is getting banned is either based on people's misconceptions or (a cynic's view) a way to build hype (remember the fake stories about dead space being banned). Simple because Kratos is an ancient greek/god killings gods, monsters or humans that clearly live in a fantasy world means the OFLC would let them get away with nearly anything they want. 

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I doubt they'll do much to the game but it is annoying that they keep doing this.
    The OFLC has no problem with all the R rated movies we get, but god forbid we see some blood in video games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By mordukai

Man...Michael Atkinson is really fucking things up for Australian gamers. 

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mars_Cleric

Maybe Kratos takes a panadol in the game so they banned it for drug use
    But seriously, it won't be banned...no way

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By bwooduhs

Do you know what sucks? I live in New Zealand. In New Zealand we just get Australian versions of games. So whatever there stupid government does we have put up with. For example, we got the censored GTA IV because of Australia. So when God of War 3 inevitably gets censored in Australia looks like we will be getting it too. I hate Australia fucking game ratings.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @bwooduhs:
    I doubt there will be much difference. They really don't care much about violence, they're more focused on drug use...or graffiti.
    NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By NickM

Dude, who cares, the EU and us copies will be region free anyway. Stick it to the man!

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FlipperDesert

To be honest, God of War 3's demo made me pretty uncomfortable. Though other people deserve the right to disembowel a centaur, so this sucks. Wasn't there a move to get a new age rating for more mature games in Australia before?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

Unfortunately, Australia seems like an awful place to be a gamer aside from God of War's cancelation. 

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @FlipperDesert:
    There was but a certain MP thinks he should decide what we get to see in games
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By oldschool

This is all  a bit over the top.  Yes, Australian censorship in games sucks a little, but it isn't very often.  It happens infrequently enough not for me to care, and it hardly makes Australia a sucky country.  There are many things banned or censored overseas that are not in Australia.  When America allows full frontal nudity, extreme language (including c**t) and virtual sex (R rated movie stuff - X in the USA?) on free to air television, I will believe that they are truly free (as opposed to getting upset about a Jackson nipple).

What does concern me though, is the government is looking at banning gamesites that offer downloads of games that have not been rated by the OFCL.  That would be very bad.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb

God Of War III seems to very much toe the line as it is. I'm absolutely certain there is going to be a backlash on the game. But I think Sony kinda want that anyway.

Remember when they supposedly slaughtered a goat at the God Of War II press event and then allowed journalists to feel the entrails or something?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

PlayStation 3 is region free!

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I think the OFLC is more strict on games here but I had some American mates over not long ago and they couldn't believe the stuff we got on telly (we were watching Underbelly).
    So...yeah...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " I think the OFLC is more strict on games here but I had some American mates over not long ago and they couldn't believe the stuff we got on telly (we were watching Underbelly).So...yeah... "
    I remember my first time in the States, in 1993 (yes I am sure they have loosened up since then) and I was watching Weird Science.  In a scene where Kelly LeBrock says "Don't mess with me, I can be a real bitch", they dubbed "bitch" with "wench".  First, that made no sense and second, bitch was censored?  We had full frontal nudity on our free to air televisions in 1974 for christ's sake.  Much more censorship goes on in America than generally admitted.
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NoDeath

We do tend to get the short end of the stick with a lot of this stuff. The actual problem isn't that the OFLC goes crazy with banning things, its that they have to rate the games under the same conditions as they rate movies, however we don't have an R rating for games, the highest rating a game can achieve is MA 15+, meaning any game that has the content that would normally constitute an R must be refused clasification. This is because a number of rather backwads thinking polititions are under the impression that allowing R rated games will sudenly destroy our childrens minds. Their logic however is flawed as if a game is R rated it is restricted to ADULTS ONLY. Having an R rating will only help classify games and keep games 6 year olds shouldn't play out of the hands of 6 year olds - unless of course their parents are cool with it, in which case its none of the governments damn buisness.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VWGTI
    @oldschool:

We're talking about video games though. Not something regulated by the FCC.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FlipperDesert
    @oldschool said:
    " @Mars_Cleric said:
    " I think the OFLC is more strict on games here but I had some American mates over not long ago and they couldn't believe the stuff we got on telly (we were watching Underbelly).So...yeah... "
    I remember my first time in the States, in 1993 (yes I am sure they have loosened up since then) and I was watching Weird Science.  In a scene where Kelly LeBrock says "Don't mess with me, I can be a real bitch", they dubbed "bitch" with "wench".  First, that made no sense and second, bitch was censored?  We had full frontal nudity on our free to air televisions in 1974 for christ's sake.  Much more censorship goes on in America than generally admitted.
    "
    That was obviously a pirated copy. Yarharharharhar!

NoDeath pretty much hit the nail on the head though, the ratings are jacked, it's not really the person raiting it's fault. Wouldn't surprise me at all if America was more strict with it's TV broadcasts.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BigBoss1911

Thats really stupid that they would banned a video game completley from being purchased.Just don't let the kids buy em.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lowbrow

For a country founded by ex-cons you sure have a lot of people with fragile sensibilities running the place.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By asurastrike
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By meptron

I hear they're planning to ban fun later this year as well.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By Icemael
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Thats really stupid that they would banned a video game completley from being purchased.Just don't let the kids buy em. "
    But(if I'm not mistaken), the highest rating in Australia is 15+, and the people in charge have no intention of changing that. Since they don't have a 17/18+ rating, the only way to prohibit people under those ages from buying the games is banning them.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By oldschool
    @VWGTI said:
    " @oldschool: We're talking about video games though. Not something regulated by the FCC. "
    That was an extension of the subject about censorship in Australia and entirely relevant, particularly as a reply to a comment by someone else.

@Icemael said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Thats really stupid that they would banned a video game completley from being purchased.Just don't let the kids buy em. "
    But(if I'm not mistaken), the highest rating in Australia is 15+, and the people in charge have no intention of changing that. Since they don't have a 17/18+ rating, the only way to prohibit people under those ages from buying the games is banning them.
    "
    Correct.  They are not so much banned, but rather, they are refused classification and therefore illegal to sell.  It is semantics though - the result is the same.

There should be an 18+ rating available, but there isn't any plans to do it.  If they do however, many of the stores - if not most, would not sell them, so from a profit point of view, they would be better modifying the gane and making more of that profit.
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By eric_buck

I can still order it to Aus if it gets banned though right? RIGHT!?!?

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By capt_ventris
    @Akeldama said:

" dude Austrailia is getting gayer by the year. They are becoming worse than Germany  "

Mainly because of one guy.....one ......F***ing.......guy.

South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson 

Although the benefit is its another excuse not to like South Australia.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead

As soon as I saw the title, I knew this would be about Australia.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By ProfessorEss

I would've been pretty surprised if it didn't get banned.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Elazul
    @Akeldama said:
    " dude Austrailia is getting gayer by the year."
    Why? Did someone just release an Australia-only Village People simulator?
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By metal_mills

It's not banned it has been rated MA already. Remember, only the games the OFLC think are unpopular get banned. They didn't realize AVP was so big until there was an uproar and, hey, what do you know? Unbanned without a single change.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " It'll still come out just probably toned down.It's strange that this happened, I don't remember GOW or GOW2 having this problem. "
    Graphics are apparently too real and visceral now.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By TwoOneFive

sucks to be australian i guess.   

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Snail

I assume that since the new 18+ rating in Australia that the game will be released unaltered, under that banner. Since this thread was posted six months ago or so, we should not assume that all this still holds true.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Snail said:
    " I assume that since the new 18+ rating in Australia that the game will be released unaltered, under that banner. Since this thread was posted six months ago or so, we should not assume that all this still holds true. "
    They fnally got 18+?
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By wwfundertaker

Poor Australians, you guys need to get a 18 classification rating soon.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#49  Edited By Lazyaza

Wtf is up with this thread being resurrected? the game was confirmed to not be banned here ages ago, its releasing under our MA15+ label with no edits whatsoever.
    EB have had ads up in their stores for like two months.  Not to mention the pre-order for the regular and super-duper editons have been available for weeks too.

And no we don't have the R18 rating yet, that requires an election that hasn't happened yet since we'll only get it once Michael Atkinson is out of office.  When the elections happen we've no idea.

So yes one of the goriest bloodiest games to ever exist is going to be sold to minors here, I've been keeping track of all the games that got the same treatment.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Snail
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Snail said:
    " I assume that since the new 18+ rating in Australia that the game will be released unaltered, under that banner. Since this thread was posted six months ago or so, we should not assume that all this still holds true. "
    They fnally got 18+? "
    They did, some Australian dude did a thread about that recently here at Giant Bomb. Dude was totally psyched.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.