Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

God of War 3 Collectors Edition

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So I read today on wikipedia that the collectors edition of God of War 3 might include the first and second game on a Blu-Ray disc. I wonder if thats true because I know the all the newer models of PS3's can't play PS2 games at all, so I was just wondering if it's even possible to emulate the PS2 on the PS3 with the absence of both the Emotion Chip and the Graphic Synthesizer.

Maybe they will find a way to "convert" the game to the PS3 hardware. But if its not at all possible then basically Sony will cheat all the new PS3 owners with something that only the correct PS3 models can play as they pretty much went back on their word when it comes to the PS3 backwards capabilities.

As always with things I read on wikipedia I take them with a grain of salt so I will not be quick to judge until an official word from Sony comes out. For those of you that don't know, Sony are asking current PS3 owners what kind of content they want in the collectors edition of God of War 3. Just follow this link.
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shrig32

They might just run it through the software emulator and include that on the disk so that the games will work on all models. As far as I remember, European 60GB PS3's used software emulation anyway =)

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

I misread the title as Cod of War, i laughed. Then i typed Cod of War in on google image search, my mind was blown.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Drebin_893
    Endogene said:
    "I misread the title as Cod of War, i laughed. Then i typed Cod of War in on google image search, my mind was blown."
    Oh. My. God.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    shrig32 said:
    "They might just run it through the software emulator and include that on the disk so that the games will work on all models. As far as I remember, European 60GB PS3's used software emulation anyway =)"
    those models and their 80GB North American and South Korean  versions had the "Graphic Synthesizer" GPU in them but lacked the "Emotion Engine" CPU. Thats why those models could  used software emulation but because of that the backwards compatibility were greatly reduced. The newer PS3 models lack the "emotion Engine" CPU and the  "Graphic Synthesizer" GPU and thats why they can't play any PS3 games.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Endogene said:
    "I misread the title as Cod of War, i laughed. Then i typed Cod of War in on google image search, my mind was blown."
    Oh. My. God.
    "
    lmao!! i never knew about that! its awesome!!!! 
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shrig32

It's certainly something... >.>

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shadows_kill

what there going to do is that if it gets voted to be in the CE edtion of the game there going to put gow 1+2 on a blu ray disk so it will work on all ps3's including the ones that dont have BC.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili

This is all pure rumor, sony has even said that just because thye put it in a survey is NO GUARANTEE it will be in the final product, I think they should put it and relase it on PSN to sell to those who miss out on the CE

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jkz

God I hope so. I really would like to play  GoW 1+2 again, but I'm far too lazy to go down to the basement where my PS2 is hooked up. It would be far easier to play it on my PS3

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By TobyD81

Eh, I think they should do like Gears 2 and throw in the Blades of Chaos.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NukeGoBoom

It will probably will be just re-programmed to fit a blu-ray.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Goly

that would be so awesome. that plus the blades of chaos and i'm done for.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Endogene said:
    Oh. My. God.
    "
    Lolwut.

No Caption Provided

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cc23574

I want them to add another Blu Ray disc wich has GOW1&2

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coughlanio

The problem with GoW I&II, is that they were programmed in a low level language for the PS2, something similar to assembly. They would need to totally recode the games to port them to PS3, so what I can see them doing is, coding an emulator, and putting it on the disk with essentially images of the two games.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shrig32

There's already a PS2 software emulator for the PS3. Also, with complete access to the code, re-compiling it and debugging it is all that's needed I imagine o.O

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coughlanio
    shrig32 said:
    "There's already a PS2 software emulator for the PS3. Also, with complete access to the code, re-compiling it and debugging it is all that's needed I imagine o.O"
    That software emulation was based on the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer chip that was in the 80GB that had software emulation.

They would need to emulate this chip too if they were to do this.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Endogene said:
    Yeah, it was an unlockable costume in God of War II. It was from a contest that was for members of Sony's GAP, where you would design a costume and the winner would get it made and put into the game. There were two winners, and Cod of War was one of them.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    TotallyEpic said:
    "shrig32 said:
    "There's already a PS2 software emulator for the PS3. Also, with complete access to the code, re-compiling it and debugging it is all that's needed I imagine o.O"
    That software emulation was based on the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer chip that was in the 80GB that had software emulation.They would need to emulate this chip too if they were to do this."
    This isn't a difficult task... It's similar to having a DLC of Marvel vs Capcom ported to the PS3. The code is adjusted slightly and then emulated to run on the PS3.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PercyChuggs

Why would they put 2 games in a collectors edition, that 99% of the people who would buy a collectors edition already own? Seems stupid to me, and that's why it won't happen.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shrig32
    PercyChuggs said:
    "Why would they put 2 games in a collectors edition, that 99% of the people who would buy a collectors edition already own? Seems stupid to me, and that's why it won't happen."
    People that don't have them would be "collecting" them, and people that already own them have a separate edition for the sake of completeness =)
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
    LiquidPrince said:
    "TotallyEpic said:
    "shrig32 said:
    That software emulation was based on the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer chip that was in the 80GB that had software emulation.They would need to emulate this chip too if they were to do this."
    This isn't a difficult task... It's similar to having a DLC of Marvel vs Capcom ported to the PS3. The code is adjusted slightly and then emulated to run on the PS3."
    It's harder then you think, the PS3 cell processor has a totally different architecture then the PS2. 
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shrig32
    Mordukai said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "TotallyEpic said:
    "shrig32 said:
    This isn't a difficult task... It's similar to having a DLC of Marvel vs Capcom ported to the PS3. The code is adjusted slightly and then emulated to run on the PS3."
    It's harder then you think, the PS3 cell processor has a totally different architecture then the PS2. 
    "
    And yet European PS3s still manage to run PS2 games fine without hardware emulation >.~ The technology exists for this already =)
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By get2sammyb

Hey cheers for sourcing my site!

I love you.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aounslaught

Just give me a cloth map and I'll be happy.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drebin_893 said:
    "Endogene said:
    Oh. My. God.
    "
    Teh Win 
    Dragonbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dragonbyte

if they are going to have GOW 1 and 2 in the collectors edition, then i think instead of ports they do remakes (graphics wise) so that anyone who has a ps3 could play them. but with honesty i don't think they will do that.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

um you don't need an emulator or a graphics chip to run old games. have you ever played mgs3:subsistance? it had nintendo Metal Gear games on the disc. They good developers, extremely good devlopers, i'm sure they can do this with ease. What would be super kick ass though, is if the gave the previous two games a huge graphical upgrade! i doubt that, but playing them with inhanced clarity would be sufficient, and besides they were great games to begin with, i'd have fun playing through them all over again. especially if they had a couple trophies!

eneLon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eneLon

If they put the first two games on a BD, I will without a doubt fork over the extra cash for the Collectors Edition. One of the main reasons I regret not getting a backwards compatible PS3 is because I can't play and of the older God of War games. Please, please, pleasssseee release this!

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By lord_canti

it would be awsome if that did happen i meen more games should do that

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    TwoOneFive said:
    um you don't need an emulator or a graphics chip to run old games. have you ever played mgs3:subsistance? it ... [more]
    >_< what? so lets ge this straight because subsistance had nintendo metal gear games that means their weren't emulated? no they contained a micro emulation system to run them which is not breaking copy right or code use because the emulating code is not emulating the nintendo system but just the requirements to run those games...so yes there was an emulator code contained in subsistance to play the nintendo *and didn't it have the other old metal gear games the none sucky ones that didn't show on an nes?*

@shrig yeah european ps3s run software emulation of  the missing hardware component but they still have the gpu i do believe which is why we haven't seen a total 100% software emulation in any system, why sony doesn't impliment it or produce an update with it? who knows, Im glad won a ps3 at launch cause id not purchase one now without ps2 backwards compat, as it is my ps3 gets most of its play on old ps1 games any ways as well as ps2 games if it didn't have that ps2 id be pretty pissed. *not a bash just stating a fact*

Ontopic:
    If gow 1 and 2 were on the CE edtion of Gow3 i would go out right now and preorder it.
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shrig32
    @WilliamRLBaker: All PS3's can play PS1 games =)
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    shrig32 said:
    @WilliamRLBaker: All PS3's can play PS1 games =)
    and where did i say it didn't?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Linkyshinks

If they are graphically improved versions of both games count me in.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shrig32
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    shrig32 said: @WilliamRLBaker: All PS3's can play PS1 games =) and where did i say it didn't? [more]
    Disregard that post. I misread, sorry
    hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By hermes

The content of the collector's edition was a poll in the God of War 3 page. The two previous games in an extra disk was one option, among other such as artbook, t-shirts, figurines, soundtrack, etc; that people had to rate.
    However, Sony already stated that those options are just to see what the public may be interested into. Sony didn't compromise on anything, and the content of the special edition has not being revealed yet. If enough people ask for that option, they might work to include them (assign resources to port it, budget, etc.), but just those games. This is not a confirmation of emulation, nor that they will emulate it. They might try to emulate it (it is doable), or they might redo the code on the PS2 version to make it work on the PS3.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I personally chose the god1 and 2 on that poll a few months ago.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    TwoOneFive said: um you don't need an emulator or a graphics chip to run old games. have you ever played ... [more]
    hey douchebag, what i meant was, the ps3 doesn't need to have any already installed hardware or software to do it, it can all come straight from the disc. and the sucky ones wat? i don't know but if you just said metal gear 2: solid snake sucked, you're smokin something, that game was basically exactly the same as Metal Gear Solid, only in 2d. I mean, seriously, THE SAME. lol And it was definitely fun. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince
    mordukai said:
    LiquidPrince said: "TotallyEpic said: "shrig32 said: "There's already a PS2 software emulator for the PS3. Also, with complete access to ... [more]
    Yeah, but I'd wager the Dreamcast was even more different and they can port that over correct?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By toowalrus
    Endogene said:
    I misread the title as Cod of War, i laughed. Then i typed Cod of War in on google image ... [more]
    Oh, what the hell! Ha, thanks for sharing the blown mind...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.