Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Why God Of War III Is Not As Familiar As They Claim...

• 66 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

(I'd firstly like to preface this blog post by saying this is not a reaction to Ryan's review of the game, I appreciate his opinion and think he gave the game an excellent score, despite disagreeing with some of his criticisms on a personal level).

I've seen some worrying comments on the forums. Presumably people who haven't played God Of War III yet pulling the ol' "God Of War in HD" comment. Nope, God Of War in HD was the God Of War Collection. Let's talk about why God Of War III is not as familiar as people claim, and also why the final iteration is the best in the franchise:

• Combat. Watch someone play God Of War III and it looks the same. Play God Of War III yourself and it feels the same. But actually analyse it next to the previous two iterations and you'll notice it's balanced close-to perfection. The way the enemies are laid out, the way the specific arenas are constructed, the way the moves and enemy AI is perfectly tuned is staggering. Despite looking the same on surface value, God Of War III's combat is so much more refined. As is an overlooked tradition for the God Of War games, each iteration has better tuned the combat, and while it's not immediately noticable (it absolutely looks the same), fans of the franchise will notice that it "feels" better. And that's because it's been refined to perfection.
    • Difficulty. God Of War I & II had impossible difficulty spikes, particularly on the higher difficulties. God Of War III's difficulty is extremely tough on Titan difficulty, but it never spikes. It's been hand balanced to make it consistent - obviously challenging - but possible. I personally think that's awesome.
    • Pacing. The God Of War games have always had fantastic pacing. The transition between combat, puzzle, platform and adventure has always been spot-on. With God Of War III though, I feel like it's again, that combination perfected. I honestly felt like there was a bit less fighting in God Of War III, but I assume that's because the game is so good at driving me through different objectives. I mean, let's be honest, if you hate everything about God Of War III, the level design is just outrageous. Yes it's largely scripted, but I love that almost "Metroid" feeling you get from seeing a ledge very early on and not being able to reach it, only to come full-circle with a new ability five hours later when you can finally get there. I think this game does that better than any other in the franchise.
    • Puzzles. There are less puzzles in God Of War III. But what I felt was, when you get to a puzzle, it's a bigger, more "important" and challenging puzzle to complete. Without spoiling the game, the puzzle on perspective is outrageously satisfying. It's a decent chunk of a puzzle too - rather than just being a quick "press this switch" objective that were so obvious in previous games.
    • Controls. God Of War has often had some quite complex control mechanics, simply because Kratos has so many abilities. I feel like God Of War III cuts down on the number of inputs and provides a more simplistic control scheme that makes all of Kratos' abilities more instantly-accessible.
    • Weapons. For the first time in the franchise, I feel God Of War III provides weapons that I want to use. I can see where the "Blades Of Chaos" comparisons come in, the weapons handle similarly, but I feel that they are also different enough to feel both functional and refreshing.
    • Scale. The obvious one really. Anyone who has played God Of War III will know that its scale goes above and beyond anything ever seen on a video game ever before. It's outrageous. One boss battle in particular is probably the best I've ever played in a video game. I don't want to go into details because it would be unfair on those yet to experience it, but know that it's amazing. That scale is pretty consistent right the way through, but it's juxta-posed by really up-close and personal sections which make you appreciate the scale even more when it comes. I think those contrasts are something new to God Of War III, and enhance the experience.
    • Style. God Of War III is much more stylish than its predecessors. Despite being gritty and gory, I felt the ending in particular (no spoilers) was really stylish and well considered. It felt completely fitting for the end of the franchise (or Kratos) at least, and wrapped things up in a surprisingly stylish way.
    • Considered QTEs. God Of War III has a lot less QTEs in it. When they come, they are lot more considerate in previous games, rarely getting in the way of the action, and not frequent enough to pull you out of the experience.

Yup, I think that's it. Agree, disagree, "cool story bro"?
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

(I'd firstly like to preface this blog post by saying this is not a reaction to Ryan's review of the game, I appreciate his opinion and think he gave the game an excellent score, despite disagreeing with some of his criticisms on a personal level).

I've seen some worrying comments on the forums. Presumably people who haven't played God Of War III yet pulling the ol' "God Of War in HD" comment. Nope, God Of War in HD was the God Of War Collection. Let's talk about why God Of War III is not as familiar as people claim, and also why the final iteration is the best in the franchise:

• Combat. Watch someone play God Of War III and it looks the same. Play God Of War III yourself and it feels the same. But actually analyse it next to the previous two iterations and you'll notice it's balanced close-to perfection. The way the enemies are laid out, the way the specific arenas are constructed, the way the moves and enemy AI is perfectly tuned is staggering. Despite looking the same on surface value, God Of War III's combat is so much more refined. As is an overlooked tradition for the God Of War games, each iteration has better tuned the combat, and while it's not immediately noticable (it absolutely looks the same), fans of the franchise will notice that it "feels" better. And that's because it's been refined to perfection.
    • Difficulty. God Of War I & II had impossible difficulty spikes, particularly on the higher difficulties. God Of War III's difficulty is extremely tough on Titan difficulty, but it never spikes. It's been hand balanced to make it consistent - obviously challenging - but possible. I personally think that's awesome.
    • Pacing. The God Of War games have always had fantastic pacing. The transition between combat, puzzle, platform and adventure has always been spot-on. With God Of War III though, I feel like it's again, that combination perfected. I honestly felt like there was a bit less fighting in God Of War III, but I assume that's because the game is so good at driving me through different objectives. I mean, let's be honest, if you hate everything about God Of War III, the level design is just outrageous. Yes it's largely scripted, but I love that almost "Metroid" feeling you get from seeing a ledge very early on and not being able to reach it, only to come full-circle with a new ability five hours later when you can finally get there. I think this game does that better than any other in the franchise.
    • Puzzles. There are less puzzles in God Of War III. But what I felt was, when you get to a puzzle, it's a bigger, more "important" and challenging puzzle to complete. Without spoiling the game, the puzzle on perspective is outrageously satisfying. It's a decent chunk of a puzzle too - rather than just being a quick "press this switch" objective that were so obvious in previous games.
    • Controls. God Of War has often had some quite complex control mechanics, simply because Kratos has so many abilities. I feel like God Of War III cuts down on the number of inputs and provides a more simplistic control scheme that makes all of Kratos' abilities more instantly-accessible.
    • Weapons. For the first time in the franchise, I feel God Of War III provides weapons that I want to use. I can see where the "Blades Of Chaos" comparisons come in, the weapons handle similarly, but I feel that they are also different enough to feel both functional and refreshing.
    • Scale. The obvious one really. Anyone who has played God Of War III will know that its scale goes above and beyond anything ever seen on a video game ever before. It's outrageous. One boss battle in particular is probably the best I've ever played in a video game. I don't want to go into details because it would be unfair on those yet to experience it, but know that it's amazing. That scale is pretty consistent right the way through, but it's juxta-posed by really up-close and personal sections which make you appreciate the scale even more when it comes. I think those contrasts are something new to God Of War III, and enhance the experience.
    • Style. God Of War III is much more stylish than its predecessors. Despite being gritty and gory, I felt the ending in particular (no spoilers) was really stylish and well considered. It felt completely fitting for the end of the franchise (or Kratos) at least, and wrapped things up in a surprisingly stylish way.
    • Considered QTEs. God Of War III has a lot less QTEs in it. When they come, they are lot more considerate in previous games, rarely getting in the way of the action, and not frequent enough to pull you out of the experience.

Yup, I think that's it. Agree, disagree, "cool story bro"?
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45
    @get2sammyb said:

"cool story bro"

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Not a reaction to Ryan's review? Then this is quite a coincidence.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @get2sammyb said:

God Of War III has a lot less QTEs in it

That makes me happy :)
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Muttinus_Rump said:

"  Not a reaction to Ryan's review? Then this is quite a coincidence. "

A reaction to some of the comments in Ryan's review, and general themes that have been floating on the Internet the past week, instead perhaps?

I think 4/5 is a great review, but feel free to disregard my opinion and consider me a review-bashing douchebag, even though I haven't referenced anything in this blog post pertaining to Ryan's criticism. That's his own point of view, and I disagree with some of the things he said, but this is my own personal viewpoint.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Rhaknar

im about 3 and half hours in, after Helios, and except for the gaea/poseidon stuff in the first 45mins, it feels EXACTLY like the previous games, except a lot prettier. This is like saying Gears of War 2 wasnt as familiar as Gears of War 1 >_>

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Rhaknar said:
    " im about 3 and half hours in, after Helios, and except for the gaea/poseidon stuff in the first 45mins, it feels EXACTLY like the previous games, except a lot prettier. This is like saying Gears of War 2 wasnt as familiar as Gears of War 1 >_> "
    Yes, it does "feel" the same. But it's a lot more refined. Like I wrote in my critique above, the reasons this is a better game than God Of War I & II go deeper than surface value. It's the pacing, the puzzle structure, the level design, and the most importantly refinements in the way the combat works that make this the best in the franchise.

Perhaps I used the wrong title for this post -- no doubts this is a God Of War game (and I love the formula so I'm ok with that); but it also does lots of little "under-the-hood" tweaks to make that formula better than it's ever been.

Glad you're enjoying it though. :)
    CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrystaljDesign
    @get2sammyb: I completely agree with your sentiments. If you haven't played a God of War game since 2 came out, you may not realize the balancing and tweaking they have done to the formula. Personally, the first realization of this came to me when I fought my first Gorgon in GoW3. They used to be the bane of my existence in previous GoW games, but fighting them in 3 I found to be way more fun and I never got frozen in mid-air and died immediately afterwards. I love how they keep magic abilities linked to weapons now, although I do agree with Ryan's review that I stick with the default blades and cestus more than the other two blade weapons.  

I think it's unfair to fault the game for being more of the same but in HD. They have intentionally kept the same game formula for these games to keep a sense of continuity. If the next GoW game on PS3 is more of this same formula, THEN I think we can start complaining about it being more of the same.  

Also, I hate Kratos, I hated being forced to do some of the things he did in that game. But damn, do I love playing these games.
    CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CharlieTuna

I have to disagree about the pacing and the puzzles, besides the perspective puzzle which was awesome the rest are too short, too few, too easy and too far apart. God of War 2 had it perfect. 

On Titan GoW3 really has ridiculous difficulty spikes I feel (people might not wanna read on if you don't want minor spoilers here on), the first fight with that horse thing is a lot harder on Titan than a large part of the game, same thing with Hades. Which is weird considering that Helios, Hermes and Hercules are pushovers and some of the easiest bosses in the God of War games. The checkpoints in the first fight are some of the worst in the series. Don't even get me started on that stupid fire dog with the satyrs.

Not a bad game in any way really, it's awesome but I feel that it can't stand up to God of War 2 which IMHO is the best of them with Gow3 a close second.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael
    Combat: God of War III's combat is far worse than that of the previous games, and it's precisely because of the way the enemies are laid out. The series' combat system is great when you're fighting a handful of tough, well-designed enemies. God of War III rarely lets you do that. For the most part, it just throws a ton of enemies at you -- often so many, it's impossible to see when they signal their attacks, and sometimes so many, it's impossible to even keep track of where Kratos is -- just because hey, it looks cool , so it doesn't matter if it isn't fun, right? The worst part is that more or less all of the enemies are cannon fodder. The scorpions are a great example of this; you can kill them simply by pressing the O button. That's right. You don't have to block, or dodge, or even use your weapons. Just walk up to one, press the O button, and it's dead. Why were those scorpions there? They're just filler. They're just there so you can kill something, because hey, it's God of War, and when people play God of War, they want to kill stuff, right? And that's the problem with the game's combat. It's just filler. It's not fun, or challenging, or strategic, or anything. It's just enemies for the sake of enemies; brutal kills for the sake of brutal kills. It's "Look, you're pressing buttons, and cool stuff is happening on the screen! You're having fun, right? Right? Hey, I've got an idea! If we put even more scorpions on the screen, you can press the O button even more, and then, then you'll have even more fun, because pressing buttons is fun!". It's the product of the worst design philosophy ever: "Video games are about pressing buttons and watching stuff happen on the screen. Video games are fun. Therefore, pressing buttons and watching stuff happen on the screen = fun." 

Difficulty: I guess it's pretty balanced, but when it isn't fun, what does it matter if it's balanced?

Pacing: The pacing is "first part of cool-looking, QTE-filled (because if you're pressing buttons, that makes it more fun) set piece -> filler combat -> second part of cool-looking, QTE-filled set piece -> filler combat -> last part of cool-looking, QTE-filled set piece -> filler combat -> brief segment of tight, satisfying combat -> filler combat -> clever puzzle -> filler combat -> brief segment of tight, satisfying combat -> filler combat ->  first part of cool-looking, QTE-filled set piece", et cetera, et cetera. Had they scrapped all the filler shit, the pacing would have been perfect. It would've been "brief segment of tight, satisfying combat -> clever puzzle -> brief segment of tight, satisfying combat -> clever puzzle", and so on and so forth. Sure, the game would've been like an hour or two long, but it would've been all the better for it.

Puzzles: The puzzles were great. I especially liked the one involving perspective; very clever, and very unique. I'd love to see the Santa Monica guys drop the God of War franchise and start making puzzle games.

Controls: The control scheme is neither good nor bad. It's just functional

Weapons: The Blades of Exile are great. The Claws of Hades are okay. The Cesti and the lightning things are terrible

Scale: Massive, I guess. I never really found myself impressed with the huge environments and Titans, though; mostly because I was too bored out of my fucking mind to care. When you've got something that plays well and has large-scale stuff going on, maybe I'll give a shit.

Stylish: Some of the more unique sequences, like the  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    , the  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    and  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    , were really cool. A shame there wasn't more stuff like that in the game. 

QTEs: There were fewer than in the previous games. This, I liked. There was still a good number of them. This, I didn't like.
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eric_buck

Awesome blog. I agree with everything except I don't like the multiple weapons. I prefer just to use the Blades, which I can just use them so that isn't a problem.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eric_buck
    @Icemael: Ever played on the harder difficulties? If you had you would know that the combat takes a ton of strategy if you want to do it right. Also, scorpions are often there for a distraction, not to solely fight. They may introduce them first as a sole enemy to give you an idea of what your fighting etc. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemael
    @Eric_Buck said:

" @Icemael: Ever played on the harder difficulties? If you had you would know that the combat takes a ton of strategy if you want to do it right. Also, scorpions are often there for a distraction, not to solely fight. They may introduce them first as a sole enemy to give you an idea of what your fighting etc.  "

I'd love to play on a harder difficulty level, if the combat was good. It's not. Avoiding enemy attacks is really easy, and playing on Titan or Chaos wouldn't make it any harder; it would only force me to press the square button a whole lot more, and die a ton in the segments where the screen is so full of shit and the camera so poorly positioned, I can't see what I'm doing. 

And no, the scorpions are just filler. They're never a problem in the boss fight; they're just there so you have something to do when the boss isn't attacking. And even if they were a good distraction, the "introduction" was far too long. Did I really need to fight like fifty of them to understand that hey, there are scorpions in the game, and I can kill them by pressing the O button?
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bluethunder35

All I wish is that Giant Bomb gave half-stars to games. I don't like the 1-5 scoring system, it's too archaic. They need to score games like they do at GameSpy.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @Bluethunder35 said:
    " All I wish is that Giant Bomb gave half-stars to games. I don't like the 1-5 scoring system, it's too archaic. They need to score games like they do at GameSpy. "
    Because the 1-10 scoring system totally isn't archaic, right?
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Honestly I didn't like the puzzles. They were extremely simple and not rewarding at all. But the game was solid. I preferred the open deserts of the previous games and the more massive feel to everything. This game did have a massive feel to it, but it was all enclosed. I felt the weapons pretty useless. Save the fists, everything else was redundant and the special powers were pretty useless.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar:  It throws a lot of that kind of stuff at you, throughout. Of course it can't have non-stop set pieces; but it has a lot more than any other game that comes to mind (and on a larger scale too). The reason it feels like previous GoW's is that, it is in fact, a GoW game; though as the OP puts it, every single aspect has been refined to a point of near perfection.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Icemael:  Interesting to get a different perspective. I disagree with your points on the combat and enemy lay-out, but you justified yourself and I can see where you're coming from.

Surprised you didn't like the Cesti though, I thought they were a lot of fun.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skunk
    @Icemael said:
    Weapons: The Blades of Exile are great. The Claws of Hades are okay. The Cesti and the lightning things are terrible.
    The Nemean Cestus are awesome. They absolutely fuck shit up, you just have to pick your moments. Some of the enemies will be terrible to fight with these.
    The Nemesis Whip at first I thought was crap. But the more I used it, the more I ended up liking it. It's like a higher damage narrow attack version of the Blades of Exile. Plus the R2 lighting comes in incredibly handy, especially the spear wielding Jackal dudes that block/jump around a lot.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quacktastic

Combat:  The enemy composition was really good.  It's like they always knew just what to add to the harder fights to make me mix up my attack.  The addition of the air dash and combat grab/charge are my favorite changes.
    Puzzles:  I can't remember that many but the one that is sticking for me (the box filling with water) was done really well - I didn't even need to think about my actions everything was just flowing naturally and when it was all over I thought back to my sequence of movements and I was pretty impressed.
    Difficulty:  I played on Titan but - Hard.  There were a lot of moments where I just had to stop, turn it off and come back later.  I'm really interested to see how Chaos mode is tuned.
    Weapons:  The gauntlets are great.  From the fight where you acquire them to way you fight with them.  The claws and whip felt too similar to the blades but by tying different magics to them I ended up using them more than I would have.
    QTEs:  The most dated thing about God of War 3 and a lot of current games.  After finishing the game and thinking about it I realize that there were moments where I would have died if I failed a QTE - but I'm not sure, because this never happened.  The QTEs in this game are so forgiving.  A massive window to hit the right button combined with not even needing to look at the prompt because they are tied to the sides of the screen that reflect the controller layout.  QTEs are a flaw but these are the least frustrating I've ever seen.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By ArchScabby

Well I don't  know about anybody else, but God of War in HD would have been good enough for me.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bluethunder35
    @Icemael: 

Baby steps...baby steps.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Rhaknar said:
    " im about 3 and half hours in, after Helios, and except for the gaea/poseidon stuff in the first 45mins, it feels EXACTLY like the previous games, except a lot prettier. This is like saying Gears of War 2 wasnt as familiar as Gears of War 1 >_> "
    wait till you get farther.  it gets way crazier, and you start to notice the little difference that make this game better than the first two.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunkulese

Not exactly the same as the previous two? Totally Agree. However, I can't see how you can try and argue that the games aren't extremely familiar. All your arguments seem to support the familiarity argument. Yes everything is better and more refined but there's nothing really new and game changing. This isn't really a bad thing. I prefer sequels that refine instead of trying to change or fix things that aren't broken. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

You can't tell people they're wrong for feeling like something is derivative. Its an abstract, they felt it, and it is what it is. You can't disprove feelings other people had, stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Regardless, God of War III is the most interesting one to watch being played. But that's mostly because it looks so goddamn good.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Icemael:   I just don't know where you're coming from at all.  Did you enjoy the previous God of War games?  It's hard to tell from these posts, because it just seems like you haven't played them, or are remembering them wrong.  There have always been lots of fodder enemies to just grab and kill in the previous games.  The reason the small scorpions are there are on scorpion boss fight is to give you a constant source of health so you don't feel like you're just losing a war of attrition to the boss.  You can also use them strategically by getting into an invincible grab animation right as the boss is about to attack you.  That concept has always existed in the God of War games.  

And in general I just don't agree with your thoughts on the combat.  On the base level, it's as good as it has ever been in a mainline God of War game (I haven't played Chains of Olympus).  The addition of the combat grapple and the ability to instantly switch weapons in the middle of attacking makes it so much more fluid.  Even though the blades are relatively unchanged as usual, the new weapons are as fun and useful as the weapons have ever been in a God of War game.  The fact that magic is locked to the weapon means they all have their purposes.  Not to mention the items.  Which are kind of a substitute for the magic from the old games on top of the magic that's in this game already and all can be used in combat in conjunction with everything else in incredibly fun and fluid ways. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy

I feel like it's nearly identical. You're looking extremely hard and trying to find these differences when they should have been apparent after picking up the controller.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilTwin
    @xyzygy said:
    " I feel like it's nearly identical. You're looking extremely hard and trying to find these differences when they should have been apparent after picking up the controller. "
    I feel like the TC was too ambiguous.  I can, and have, pointed out very specific changes made to the game that make it more fluid and fun than ever.  I definitely wouldn't argue that the gameplay of God of War has ever completely evolved, but I think that speaks volumes for how great the first game was that they didn't need to for it to be modern and fun.  However, all of the changes made from 1 to 2 to 3 have been really smart and I give the Santa Monica team a lot of credit for that.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Icemael
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Icemael:   I just don't know where you're coming from at all.  Did you enjoy the previous God of War games?  It's hard to tell from these posts, because it just seems like you haven't played them, or are remembering them wrong."
    I've played Chains of Olympus (which I loved) and God of War II (which I thought was... fine), but I haven't played the first one.

@EvilTwin said:
    "There have always been lots of fodder enemies to just grab and kill in the previous games.  The reason the small scorpions are there are on scorpion boss fight is to give you a constant source of health so you don't feel like you're just losing a war of attrition to the boss.  You can also use them strategically by getting into an invincible grab animation right as the boss is about to attack you.  That concept has always existed in the God of War games."
    If they're there for health, they could've simply made the boss' attacks do less damage. And while grab animation invincibility is a great strategy, it's completely unnecessary in that particular boss fight. In Chains of Olympus, there were these floating enemies with shields that had huge AOE attacks. When you were fighting those, there was a chance you'd get cornered without enough time to dodge; in those situations, the grabbable cannon fodder enemies were a godsend. In the scorpion boss battle, however, you can't get into situations like that; you never need to use grab animation invincibility, because you can always dodge. The small scorpions serve no purpose whatsoever. They're just filler.

@EvilTwin said:
    "And in general I just don't agree with your thoughts on the combat. On the base level, it's as good as it has ever been in a mainline God of War game (I haven't played Chains of Olympus).  The addition of the combat grapple and the ability to instantly switch weapons in the middle of attacking makes it so much more fluid.  Even though the blades are relatively unchanged as usual, the new weapons are as fun and useful as the weapons have ever been in a God of War game.  The fact that magic is locked to the weapon means they all have their purposes.  Not to mention the items.  Which are kind of a substitute for the magic from the old games on top of the magic that's in this game already and all can be used in combat in conjunction with everything else in incredibly fun and fluid ways.  "
    There's nothing wrong with the basic mechanics. What's wrong is the level design, the enemy positioning, and the enemies themselves. And the new weapons were mostly useless. The Claws of Hades were basically the Blades of Exile with a few minor differences (larger AOE, different grapple move, different magic), the Cesti were pretty much the Gauntlet of Zeus from Chains of Olympus, only without the oomph, and the lighting things... man, don't even get me started. The items were even worse: Helios' head was useless if you weren't in a dark area, or fighting Sirens, the Hermes dash's dependency on auto-targeting made it completely unreliable, and the bow didn't do enough damage to justify using it (unless there were bow-equipped enemies in a place you could't reach; that happened, what, two times?).

And it's not fluid. As long as you just use the weapon you're equipped with, it works fine, but as soon as you want to do anything more complicated than that -- like, say, using an item in conjunction with a weapon, switching weapons mid-combo, or cancelling into dodges -- it's inflexible as hell.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaneDev
    @get2sammyb: From all that you seems to hold the game in very high regard and some aspects of it almost near perfection as you put it, so what do you think the games bad points are? what do you think was wrong with it? that you would change.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Icemael said:
    "And it's not fluid. As long as you just use the weapon you're equipped with, it works fine, but as soon as you want to do anything more complicated than that -- like, say, using an item in conjunction with a weapon, switching weapons mid-combo, or cancelling into dodges -- it's inflexible as hell. "
    I just can't agree.  I've had a ton of fun charging an enemy with the boots and jumping which launches them into the air (maybe only with the upgraded boots?  not entirely sure) and then combat grappling them midair, tossing them to the ground, and then getting into a combo from there and switching weapons on the fly (are you using L1 + X?  if you're switching weapons with the D-pad I can understand why you wouldn't think it was fluid) and then hitting them with some magic since I've usually switched to the claws.  I've never been able to do anything like that in past God of Wars.  Either way, I guess we're going to have to differ on this one.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By sjschmidt93

Disagree with most. The combat's the same, the controls are the same, it's all the fucking same. 

Yeah, they give you new stuff, like the Herme's boots, the new weapons, etc. but it's all generally the same. 

Also, don't get me wrong, I fucking love this game. More of the same is just fine with me.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By zombie2011
    @get2sammyb:  

The entire second half of the game is one big puzzle, The garden were you meet Hera and the labyrinth are boring as fuck. 

Also the alternative weapons are shit. Lets see you can either have blades on chains, hooks on chains, or electric blades on chains. It's the same weapon except with a different color trailing off of it. The Gauntlets are the only different weapon you get but that sucks, seeing there so slow and they break the only good thing GoW is good for, fast paced fluid combat.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By MildMolasses

This morning, if someone had asked me what I thought of the game, I would have said "meh, it's more God of War" 

But when I started playing this afternoon, somehow it all changed. From the Hermes sequence on, I'm loving everything about this game. I wasn't really into the combat of the fiirst two, but for some reason it's really clicking with me here. The little additions they made really made a world of difference with me. The puzzles seem more enjoyable, the set pieces are great, and it looks great. The other two games, to me, were just a lot of filler in between boss battles, but this one has really stepped up everything. It's a much better experience.  

And finally, what is probably my favourite improvement is that, as of yet, I haven't encountered a puzzle that has some sort of gear/timer element with ridiculously strict timing that makes me want to smash my head against the wall.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael said:
    " @Bluethunder35 said:
    " All I wish is that Giant Bomb gave half-stars to games. I don't like the 1-5 scoring system, it's too archaic. They need to score games like they do at GameSpy. "
    Because the 1-10 scoring system totally isn't archaic, right? "
    I think archaic was the wrong word. Ineffective is probably what he was looking for.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ShaneDev said:
    " @get2sammyb: From all that you seems to hold the game in very high regard and some aspects of it almost near perfection as you put it, so what do you think the games bad points are? what do you think was wrong with it? that you would change. "
    Good question. I still think the platforming is very iffy. Sometimes it'll give you a section of jumps and clamoring you'll need to but the locked camera just doesn't give you the scope you need to guage those jumps.

It's always been that way in the God Of War games - and I consider platforming my favourite genre so I love that they "attempt it" - but I kinda feel if there's not a way they can make the platforming more intuitive maybe they should take it out.

That'd be my main criticism really. I honestly believe, for everything else the game is trying to do, it's pretty much the pinnacle of what it can be. Personally, I feel like they've perfected the "God Of War formula" with this iteration, and it totally makes sense for Sony Santa Monica to go and try something different now.
    Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Ecinsiefil

Combat: Can't fault it. Works with great fluidity, and the combat grapple is probably the most useful move ever. The powers (and tying them to weapons) also work well. 
    Puzzles: Fewer than the first two, more than Chains of Olympus. It works OK I guess, but I would have preferred to have slightly longer puzzles/platforming segments in between the setpiece battles.
    Difficulty: Doesn't spike as much as the first two, which is good. For me, hard mode is just enough of a challenge to be fun and not irritating.
    QTEs: They didn't bother me in the first two, but I think the devs might have gone a bit overboard on this one - almost every larger enemy has a button pressing (as opposed to a stick moving or single button mashing) finishing move. A bit samey.
    Scale: Holy shit. Cronos.

Overall, I thought it was an extremely tightened up and focused God of War game. Could have used a few more puzzles, but the small (and useful) additions to combat more than make up for it.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PillClinton
    @CharlieTuna: 
    yeah, gow2's the best one, but gow3 is totally a 5-star game...poo poo on ryan...just kidding guys (now all you ryan fanboys out there are gonna bash me to bits.  oh well)
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PillClinton
    @RsistncE: 

no but seriously.  just a simple 1-10 scoring system (no decimal points like gt and ign...ugh don't even get me started on ign) would be SO much more telling of a game's quality than the current 1-5 system, which, c'mon on guys you all know it's true, is vague as fuck.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RsistncE
    @100_Hertz said:
    " @RsistncE:   no but seriously.  just a simple 1-10 scoring system (no decimal points like gt and ign...ugh don't even get me started on ign) would be SO much more telling of a game's quality than the current 1-5 system, which, c'mon on guys you all know it's true, is vague as fuck. "
    I agree. My limit is 0.5 increments.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Icemael
    @100_Hertz said:
    " @RsistncE:   no but seriously.  just a simple 1-10 scoring system (no decimal points like gt and ign...ugh don't even get me started on ign) would be SO much more telling of a game's quality than the current 1-5 system, which, c'mon on guys you all know it's true, is vague as fuck. "
    You know what says more about a game's quality than a score on a 1-10 scale? The fucking review. The number isn't supposed to tell you exactly what the game's like; that's what the text is for. The score is just there to give you a very loose idea of how good the game is (e.g. "this game is a total mess", or "this game is good", or "this game is really good"), and for that, a 5 star scale is more than good enough.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @get2sammyb said:

i couldn't agree more.  
    its like they took echochrome and implemented so well. if only echochrome was more like this puzzle.  
    i also think the portal-like puzzles were, simple, but good.  
    just like in gow2, they implemented new puzzle mechanics like using time. the perspective puzzle was perfectly designed and i think it was soooo satisfying with kratos crushing that jewel like, yeah i beat that shit what now bitches.  

anyways, as far as the weapons. i loved them all, they just need to be used accordingly. certain enemy types are better battled with certain weapons. i think the whips are awesome i maxed them out right away. you can do the most insane combos- im definitely got a 300 hit combo on the scorpion with those- just to get the hit combo, not that they were effective against it  only the cestus was. the whips are great for small creatures that bombard you. you can just hold square or triangle and let the whips spin. 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Icemael said:
    " @100_Hertz said:
    You know what says more about a game's quality than a score on a 1-10 scale? The fucking review. The number isn't supposed to tell you exactly what the game's like; that's what the text is for. The score is just there to give you a very loose idea of how good the game is (e.g. "this game is a total mess", or "this game is good", or "this game is really good"), and for that, a 5 star scale is more than good enough. "
    Yeah agreed. I personally think you only need four points to a scale but whatever.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#45  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @RsistncE said:

" @100_Hertz said:

I agree. My limit is 0.5 increments. "
    They have DESCRIPTIONS on the site of what each score means.  It's not vague AT ALL.  It's especially not vague if you READ THE REVIEW, because the text within tells you EXACTLY what the score means.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lambert

Why it is:

• Combat.: There are the same combat moves, literally. Once I started playing, it felt like God of War with better graphics.
    • Pacing: Same as it always has been.
    • Puzzles: You mean those simplistic puzzles that even a caveman could figure out?
    • Controls: See combat. Everything feels like God of War with better graphics.
    • Weapons: okay, new weapons. Like every other sequel ever created...
    • Scale: hyperbolic statements to say the least. The bosses were just created as levels themselves.
    • Style: same style as before. Kratos is mad, and wants to kill everything in his way. It really isn't mature or gritty at all, but just gratuitous. I'm not really surprised considering the audience for this game is mostly angry teenagers.
    • Considered QTEs: Makes no sense at all. The same circle above an enemy to finish them off like the other God of War games.

I give this thread a 0/5 stars. Lets see you make a thread about that.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael: No, no, I understand the written review is important for a more detailed understanding of the game, we're just saying that using a 5 scale scoring system is nonsensical. Society uses 100 as a number for totality as a reason. That's why 10 point systems are so popular, it's just one decimal point dropped off but gets the point across just as well. 5 point scales are far more arbitrary and cut number of allowable scores (by whole numbers) in half. I just feel that 10 point is about as simple as it should go and is far more effective at letting someone know if a game is good or bad just by glancing at it.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RsistncE
    @Kombat: I'm sorry man but even with the descriptions, a 5 point point scoring system still has a 20% margin. 20 fucking percent. That's huge and sometimes the difference between a good and excellent game can be 10 or 15%. This margin is too wide and a 10 point scoring system would better serve it.

Just realized this thread is about familiarity (or lack thereof) in God of War 3.

/derail
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#49  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Kombat: I'm sorry man but even with the descriptions, a 5 point point scoring system still has a 20% margin. 20 fucking percent. That's huge and sometimes the difference between a good and excellent game can be 10 or 15%. This margin is too wide and a 10 point scoring system would better serve it.   Just realized this thread is about familiarity (or lack thereof) in God of War 3.  /derail "
    You're doing it wrong.  Symbolic scoring scales are meant to be just that: symbolic.  They're not meant to be converted to percentages or number values.  If they were, then that's what they'd already be.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
    @Kombat: Yeah but no one interprets them as being symbolic. The vast majority of people look at it, convert it to a percentage or a score out of 100 and then whine. This is why the vast majority of gaming sites go for a 10 scale (or run the 5 point scale in 0.5 point increments). Some use the grading scale also which is again is a very good scale to use because of commonality in schooling. Either way the whole point of a review is for other people to read. If they really were just symbolic, why not just make them an arbitrary scale of 17 tacos or something? It's very clear that GB uses the 5 scale because they thought it was the perfect balance between brevity and complexity but I think they got it wrong and went just one step too far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.