Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Bad stuttering/frame rate on gen 1 Xbox

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

While roaming the open world and especially while driving I'm experiencing frame rate drops. Nothing unplayable but, it is annoyingly noticeable. Like when I turn the camera 360 degrees around my character the background doesn't move fluidly. I've tried messing with my tv's settings and cleaning some dust out of the Xbox but I've had no luck yet. Anyone else experiencing this? Also, my Xbox is hooked up with the HD component cables, would getting an Hdmi adapter help?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

did you install both disk in hard drive?

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JSwan13

@bigjeffrey: I installed the install disc to the hard drive and the play disc to a USB stick.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ikilledthedj

Maybe your USB stick has slow read rates? Don't always presume that because it's USB that it's going to be faster than a disc

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

In having the same problem on current super slim ps3. All footage on YouTube shows the ps3 version running fine at or around 30fps. My game is running like a 15fps slideshow.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I know Rockstar said not to but I had to install the play disc because my 360's disc tray is barely functional and the game definitely doesn't run as smoothly as it should. The pop-in can be pretty egregious at times.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@milkman said:

I know Rockstar said not to but I had to install the play disc because my 360's disc tray is barely functional and the game definitely doesn't run as smoothly as it should. The pop-in can be pretty egregious at times.

Awww, nice to see someone using egregious. That sentence is like a hot meal to me. High five, man.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benpicko

In having the same problem on current super slim ps3. All footage on YouTube shows the ps3 version running fine at or around 30fps. My game is running like a 15fps slideshow.

Same thing. Probably just the game

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had the game go bad at times, but with parts that were fine before. Kinda feels like playtime, heat or some memory loading can cause it, its just really random for me. Heard a tip that for older 360s that the 1080 upscale causes lag so set my console to 720p and now its running like it should all the time.

Also you can get caught up in checking for pop-in/textures and it feels like your game is running horribly. But even the "perfect" version has a pop-in and bad textures, you just dont notice them when your playing and enjoying the game.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

Wow, ive hand minimal pop in, the framerate only got bad during the water mission. Been running great.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The framerate is not that great. All and all I was honestly pretty shocked at how bad the game looked when I started playing it, but after a few hours you kinda get used to it.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

that could be a faulty harddrive I've had the same problem about a year ago, games that were supposed to ran fine, ran like a powerpoint presentation.

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing off the disc helped a little and maybe I am just looking for frame rate drops. Either way I just wish it ran better.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have an old ass Xbox and it runs at a solid 30fps for me, though I am playing off the disc.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played a game on a console in the past year or so. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my PC but the game really runs pretty bad. Especially, when driving. It just makes me wonder even more why they didn't wait like 2 months to release it on new hardware.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@milkman said:

Awww, nice to see someone using egregious. That sentence is like a hot meal to me. High five, man.

What? Is that your favorite word or something?

On topic, my game runs slow as well (newer S model). I wish I knew why. Even more, I wish Rockstar wouldn't be such cagey assholes regarding the probable PC version, as I would have preferred to play it there.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I usually game on a projector and the aliasing in this game at 120" is crazy. It's hard to look at. I have to shrink my screen size to play. I can't wait for the new systems to come out already so I can play console exclusives without making concessions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's probably not your box dude, it runs sub 30 FPS constantly for everyone. There are quite a few people that for whatever reason can't discern 25 FPS vs 30 FPS vs 60 FPS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's probably not your box dude, it runs sub 30 FPS constantly for everyone. There are quite a few people that for whatever reason can't discern 25 FPS vs 30 FPS vs 60 FPS.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

No, Really? Cant Imagine.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RonGalaxy

Im playing the ps3 version and it runs fine. The only significant frame drops I ever experienced was when going underwater in a submarine.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played a game on a console in the past year or so. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my PC but the game really runs pretty bad. Especially, when driving. It just makes me wonder even more why they didn't wait like 2 months to release it on new hardware.

Because...

1. Next Gen consoles won't have a sizeable install base for a few years.

2. They've been working on this game since 2008; well before anyone knew anything about next gen hardware, so they designed it specifically for current gen consoles

3. You're crazy! The game dips below 25 during cutscenes, but in game framerate is higher (28-30). And the framerate is fine; when it affects your playing of the game in any significant way and isn't just about being nit pickey, get back to me. I've played a significant chunk of the game and framerate hasnt been an issue in any way. Sure it isn't perfect, but its pretty outstanding for these consoles.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shoey920

It runs fine on my generation 2 Xbox, for what it's worth.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People saying it runs shit because it's not on PC. Shut up, it runs completely fine for me and the vast majority of people.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3irdEye

@naru_joe93: Your first point makes no sense. Just do like everyone else is doing and put it out on current and next gen simultaneously. Install base problem solved. Your second point is null since they have certainly known about new hardware for a long enough time to get a build working and polished on those platforms. I mean, they didn't begin development straight off on native PS3/360 hardware anyway. As for your third point, it's more a question of personal preference. You are right that it hasn't actually effected the mechanics of the gameplay too much so far. A few issues while driving arise but nothing unplayable by any means. But it is affecting a significant part of what GTA is for me; the immersion is completely broken. I'm now approaching it in a much more "video gamey" way instead of a character driven story that happens to be interactive. I'll see it through to the end but the poor performance and huge amount of aliasing everywhere are really putting a damper on my experience.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

The framerate is not that great. All and all I was honestly pretty shocked at how bad the game looked when I started playing it, but after a few hours you kinda get used to it.

Are you playing the 360 version? If so did you install both discs? Installing both makes the textures worse and all kinds of problems, only supposed to install the install disc.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#27  Edited By isomeri

@sasnake: Yeah I only installed the first disc. I think that I'm just one of those assholes who's become used to PC graphics.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Game is a beast kinda have to assume there'll be frame rate drops for such an expansive game so late in a consoles life cycle.

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so I just played GTA IV for about half an hour and then went back to GTA V. Wow, 5 looks and runs a lot better compared to 4. I haven't played an open world game on console in so long that I guess I just was expecting too much.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I'm running "install disk" on HDD, "play disk" on 16 Sandisk USB, on Jasper Model 360 (latest white version, has white disc drive cover) and the game is running better than it was without "play disk" installed (prior to "play disc" installation I experienced terrible pop in during the opening scene). So it shouldn't be your USB seeing as Sandisk has bad transfer speeds.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RonGalaxy

@naru_joe93: Your first point makes no sense. Just do like everyone else is doing and put it out on current and next gen simultaneously. Install base problem solved. Your second point is null since they have certainly known about new hardware for a long enough time to get a build working and polished on those platforms. I mean, they didn't begin development straight off on native PS3/360 hardware anyway. As for your third point, it's more a question of personal preference. You are right that it hasn't actually effected the mechanics of the gameplay too much so far. A few issues while driving arise but nothing unplayable by any means. But it is affecting a significant part of what GTA is for me; the immersion is completely broken. I'm now approaching it in a much more "video gamey" way instead of a character driven story that happens to be interactive. I'll see it through to the end but the poor performance and huge amount of aliasing everywhere are really putting a damper on my experience.

It's fine that you don't like the games performance, but you're incorrect about gta5 and next gen consoles. You're right, they could have easily released the game on both generations at the same time, but that would require a lot of waiting on their part. The way I see it, they decided to focus every ounce of their attention on the current gen release so it could be released as early as possible. And look how well it's turned out for them; gta 5 has made A BILLION freaking dollars already. Why should they have waited for next gen when the bulk of the money could be made now?

And now that the game is out, they can focus on hypothetical ports that aren't even announced yet... Right after they're done with a lengthy vacation (usually a few weeks to a month, but it could be longer since it's rockstar).

Also, you're underestimating the amount of effort it would have taken them to, in mid development, start porting/developing the game for next gen hardware alongside current gen. Sure, you can compare them to "everyone else that's doing it", but go and look at the current gen versions of games like watchdogs and tell me both generations are getting their fair shake. Ubisoft Montreal is WAY bigger than rockstar North, and they still cant make a decent current gen version of the game, because most of their effort is on next gen.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Th3irdEye

they still cant make a decent current gen version of the game, because most of their effort is on next gen.

Which I would have preferred, to be honest. Anyway, after a bit of research it seems that people have already found files relating to next gen and PC versions of the game when they tore apart the 360 version and looked into the iFruit app assets. So they obviously have been working on ports mid development like I said they could have. Maybe I'll wait around and see what comes of this. Whatever the case, it seems their strategy of release the inferior version first and get lots of money, then try to score double dipping off of suckers like me will probably work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.