Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto

Franchise »

Grand Theft Auto is a sandbox-violence game, that has drawn attention all over the world, and has pretty much become one of the most noticeable criminal-sandbox franchises ever.

Grand Theft Auto V (FIVE) - Next Generation?

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fruitcocoa

Wow, what an awesome surprise this was. But the logo and timing seems both weird and pretty darn logical. Do you remember Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas? The game launched about a year before the Xbox 360 came out. This might be the same scenario, Grand Theft Auto V launches next year and 2013 we'll se the start of the new console generation. Or is that so? The name is official, the game is called Grand Theft Auto V (FIVE). My question is, would Rockstar Games really kick of a new era of Grand Theft Auto games at the end of a generation? Vice City and San Andreas was both Grand Theft Auto III. I think that this is totally a glimpse of the future and if we saw a "coming 2013" and an announcement from Microsoft/Sony at E3 2012 that this is an exclusive product, I wouldn't be surprised.

What do you think?

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fruitcocoa

Wow, what an awesome surprise this was. But the logo and timing seems both weird and pretty darn logical. Do you remember Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas? The game launched about a year before the Xbox 360 came out. This might be the same scenario, Grand Theft Auto V launches next year and 2013 we'll se the start of the new console generation. Or is that so? The name is official, the game is called Grand Theft Auto V (FIVE). My question is, would Rockstar Games really kick of a new era of Grand Theft Auto games at the end of a generation? Vice City and San Andreas was both Grand Theft Auto III. I think that this is totally a glimpse of the future and if we saw a "coming 2013" and an announcement from Microsoft/Sony at E3 2012 that this is an exclusive product, I wouldn't be surprised.

What do you think?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I think the main character's gonna be a chick this time.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fruitcocoa

Gangsta chick in... Texas. What about that?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Whatever generation it is for you, my GTX 570 is ready! 

Probably going SLI by the time V is out.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@AhmadMetallic said:

Whatever generation it is for you, my GTX 570 is ready! Probably going SLI by the time V is out.

I assume that they will focus on the console versions to begin with. If so, then a next gen product would be a win-win situation. PC-freaks wouldn't go THEY DRAG DOWN THE QUALITY BECAUSE OF THE CONSOLE LIMITATIONS WHAAAA!!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

There's no way Microsoft and Sony would allow them to show a game that's being designed for next gen systems that haven't yet been announced, let alone revealed.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By daiphyer

@Lunar_Aura: It's Kate from Lost and it's also set in Australia.

I would be all over that.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@WinterSnowblind said:

There's no way Microsoft and Sony would allow them to show a game that's being designed for next gen systems that haven't yet been announced, let alone revealed.

That's what I thought too. But do they really need to put the Xbox/PlayStation logo on the product? Also, both Microsoft and Sony have pretty explicitly said that they are working on the new consoles. Maybe something is in works. But yeah, it's pretty weird if they put out Grand Theft Auto V, I kind of want so see The Lost And The Damned and The Ballad Of Gay Tony-like add-ons. Not that it's not possible, but think of the leap from GTA to GTA II, from GTA III to GTA III and from GTA III to GTA IV. But at the same time, if they show a plane flying over Vice City/San Andreas, that would be enough for me!

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@CarlSmith: Possibly, but I still don't think we'd be seeing a trailer for a game that wouldn't be out until 2013 at the earliest (assuming rumours are true).

I'm pretty sure this will be for current gen systems.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CarlSmith: Possibly, but I still don't think we'd be seeing a trailer for a game that wouldn't be out until 2013 at the earliest (assuming rumours are true).

Yeah you're probably right. But it's so weird! But duder, I am stoked!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By sickVisionz

@WinterSnowblind said:

I agree with this. I can see it maybe getting pushed back due to delays and stuff, but I don't see them releasing a trailer in 2011 for a game that they plan to release in 2013... likely near the end of 2013 since home consoles usually launch in the 4th quarter.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

I agree this has to be for current gen systems. Even though Rockstar is norotious for announcing games far far before release (ie Max Payne 3) they wouldn't say anything unless they already had some kind of product already made. Add on top of that that Sony and Microsoft have had no official announcements of time frames for a new system launch and it seems a given.

Also, I wouldn't hold my breathe for a PC version. Remember the broken, buggy mess GTA IV was on PC? Then Red Dead Redemption and LA Noir never even came out.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@sickVisionz said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I agree with this. I can see it maybe getting pushed back due to delays and stuff, but I don't see them releasing a trailer in 2011 for a game that they plan to release in 2013... likely near the end of 2013 since home consoles usually launch in the 4th quarter.

True, I mean Sony or Microsoft could make a shocking move by announcing a late 2012 release for their new consoles. That on the other hand seems unlikely.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I do think the rumours about this being a launch game for the Wii U (not an exclusive though, obviously) could prove true though. If you want to count that as a next-gen system? :P

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@WinterSnowblind said:

I do think the rumours about this being a launch game for the Wii U (not an exclusive though, obviously) could prove true though. If you want to count that as a next-gen system? :P

Oh God... :(

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By gike987

@CenturionCajun said:

I agree this has to be for current gen systems. Even though Rockstar is norotious for announcing games far far before release (ie Max Payne 3) they wouldn't say anything unless they already had some kind of product already made. Add on top of that that Sony and Microsoft have had no official announcements of time frames for a new system launch and it seems a given. Also, I wouldn't hold my breathe for a PC version. Remember the broken, buggy mess GTA IV was on PC? Then Red Dead Redemption and LA Noir never even came out.

LA Noire is coming out later this year. You can pre-order it on steam.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Gav47

I wonder if they'll do DLC for this one, I'd love to know how profitable that junket was. The two episodes didn't seem to receive as much fan fare as I first imagined when they were announced.

@gike987: That's because LA Noire doesn't run on the RAGE engine.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@Gav47 said:

I wonder if they'll do DLC for this one, I'd love to know how profitable that junket was. The two episodes didn't seem to receive as much fan fare as I first imagined when they were announced.

Sad though, because The Lost And The Damned was really amazing. The Ballad Of Gay Tony was great but not even close to TLATD. :/

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fruitcocoa

Well, what do you think? Is this a current gen game? It looks pretty amazing graphics wise and I would be pretty disappointed if the PC version ended up being way more beautiful then the console ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.