Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

So long competitive Halo?

• 69 results
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By iam3green

i think it will be good. they are going to change it. other FPS games u respawn with new weapsons. i think the jet pack is going to add more in gaming.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By SadPatrol

play a sport for competition. Play games for fun.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By landon

I think if you consider yourself a competite player, then you'll adapt to what they give you. 

Shooter Game A does not let you spawn with grenades. Strategy forms around getting grenades.
    Shooter Game B lets you spawn with grenades. Babies cry because that's not how they use to play, everyone else adapts, new strategies are developed.

Is this not how it works? I'm not competitive, so I don't know.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By JokerSmilez

No one's putting a gun to your head to make you play the newest Halo game, or any game for that matter.

You're complaining that a gaming company is trying to make their game more accessible and approachable by more people, meaning they'll sell more copies? What would you prefer? They make the game so punishing and unforgiving that no one but the hardest of core actually plays it? And then they go out of business because no one is buying their very expensive-to-develop game?

Rake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Rake
    @Charles said:
    " If you ask me they are taking out things that made halo crap. (Floaty jumping) Characters now seem like they have more weight and real. Like it should be. "
    Take out floaty jumping, but add jetpacks...

I think Reach will be decent for competitive play. MLG can do what they find necessary. Either way I'm sure you won't get a decent discussion on competitive Halo on this forum, as the number of good players here is probably verrrry low.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Charles:  I never understood why people hated the floaty jump. THere are communities of gamers out there dedicated to jumping in Halo- grenade, launcher jumping, etc. The realism thing isn't a factor since it's a fucking sci-fi FPS, and you're playing a dude in a huge as metal suit anyway.
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I never really liked any of the powerups very much in the first place. I prefer clean maps with no powerups and no power weapons (sniper and rockets). Just give everyone the same gun, and go. I"m more of a purest I guess.

TheLoveAbove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheLoveAbove
    The problem in my eyes.. Bungie is decreasing the skill gap between players. For example, In Halo 2.. BR was the best Short, medium, and long ranged weapon. If you had a good 4 shot, you would dominate every game. The only counter to a short ranged BR was duel wielding. But of course, there was a glitch that would take care of that. But in Halo 3, bungie gave players a weapon that could mow down enemies by simply holding down the Right trigger. 10% of my deaths in Halo 3 came from the AR. and Another 10% came from a Melee, which most likely came from the AR. In my head.. 20% of my deaths were the result of a player using a weapon that took zero skill. If I die from a Rocket or sword, yeah those weapons are easier to use. But they had to go out and get that weapon. If I get out BR'd, I know that player has bested me for the time being. If I get mowed down by the AR while reloading.. I know that player is probably bad.  

What made me even more angry in Halo 3... when you put 3 shots into someone, and they drop a Bubble shield or a Regen. Yeah that sucks, but I let them get it.  Now in Reach, they are giving equipment to everyone. Its not going to be as bad as I originally thought. And I thank all of you for clearing my head. When you use invis, yeah people cant see you, but you have no radar. When you use the Jetpack you are just a floating target. The sprint is lame, but is usually in the same loadout as the DMR which is fine. And so on.   

But yeah, like I said.. That video has really calmed me down and made me very confident about Reach. Listening to the guy talk about guys Jetpacking while picking them off with a pistol... seeing him stand 20 meters away from someone who is bubble shielding, tossing nades.. Thats the kind of player I will be. I'm so ready for the Beta. It looks as though that the pistol and the DMR will be the two main weapons in Reach. This makes me very happy 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By crunchUK

So you're saying halo 2 was good because the stupid could win very easily?

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By evanbrau

MLG will find some way of making this game awful and the furthest thing away from competitive like they do with anything they touch. I imagine Bungie will throw you a bone and make some dreadful "absolutely no random things can ever occur mode" to give people some perception of skill. That kind of playing (the same the people who play Smash Bros. competitively only play on one map with pre-approved characters to remove any thing they perceive as random. People playing that game as more than happy fun time Nintendo characters is beyond me but whatevs) is the same as learning something by rote and has nothing to do with skill.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Fosssil
    @evanbrau said:
    " MLG will find some way of making this game awful and the furthest thing away from competitive like they do with anything they touch. I imagine Bungie will throw you a bone and make some dreadful "absolutely no random things can ever occur mode" to give people some perception of skill. That kind of playing (the same the people who play Smash Bros. competitively only play on one map with pre-approved characters to remove any thing they perceive as random. People playing that game as more than happy fun time Nintendo characters is beyond me but whatevs) is the same as learning something by rote and has nothing to do with skill. "
    What are you arguing, exactly? That MLG rules make a game less competitive by removing random elements of gameplay? That's nonsense. Would Basketball be more competitive if the hoop randomly changed sizes throughout the game?

The best MLG Halo players are the best Halo players period, regardless of the ruleset being employed. If you think that those players don't have tremendous skill because the gametypes that they excel at don't include Warthogs and Bubble Shields, then you're wrong. Also, you may want to check your facts on the Smash Bros. claim. To my knowledge, no major Smash tournament (MLG included) bans any character from use, and more than half of the game's stages are allowed.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By the8bitNacho

The vast majority of gamers these days seem very down on the Halo franchise.  Why?  Because nothing about it has really changed since Combat Evolved came out on the Xbox back in 2000 or 2001 or whatever year it was released.   There need to be changes, and glancing at the response to what's been shown so far, what they've done is working.  It's about appealing to the masses.  Halo's always been about that, and if you're afraid of the change, well, time to look elsewhere for your "competitive" play.  I hear there are some PC shooters that are really good for that.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By evanbrau
    @Fosssil: The hoop changing sizes wasn't designed into the game from its very beginning. If something is included in a game from the time it was designed and made even if its random then a skilled player (if they are actually skilled at a game) should be able to adapt to anything that comes up not just using the same plan and tactic over and over again.

Also I'm actively glad my knowledge of the Smash Brothers tournament scene is flawed.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Fosssil
    @evanbrau said:
    " @Fosssil: The hoop changing sizes wasn't designed into the game from its very beginning. If something is included in a game from the time it was designed and made even if its random then a skilled player (if they are actually skilled at a game) should be able to adapt to anything that comes up not just using the same plan and tactic over and over again.  Also I'm actively glad my knowledge of the Smash Brothers tournament scene is flawed. "
    I respectfully disagree. If a skilled player could always overcome randomness, then it wouldn't be random. In some cases, a random element of gameplay can influence the results of a match to the point that a lesser player (or team) wins. This is unacceptable for a big cash tournament like MLG, where there are thousands of dollars on the line. Bungie may have designed default Halo a certain way, but they also gave players plenty of custom options for creating new gametypes, and added Forge specifically to tweak the default maps.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By evanbrau
    @Fosssil: Its very definitely still random. If for instance a sports team is reduced by a player because of an injury or a player gets sent off the rest of the team will have to adapt to it and if they are skilled still win. Unexpected events are the real test of whether someone is good at something or not, whether they can adapt to them or not.
    TheLoveAbove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheLoveAbove
    @evanbrau said:
    " @Fosssil: Its very definitely still random. If for instance a sports team is reduced by a player because of an injury or a player gets sent off the rest of the team will have to adapt to it and if they are skilled still win. Unexpected events are the real test of whether someone is good at something or not, whether they can adapt to them or not. "
    In Football, when the weather is bad (snowy, raining, windy), the skill level gap closes. Think back to 2007 when the Patriots played the Ravens. Patriots barely came away with the win (27-24), the wind during that game was insane. I think it was around 50mph. If they played in a dome, the patriots probably would have won 50-7. This is why the Superbowl is either in a dome, or in a stadium where the weather generally very good. This is so that there are no factors other than skill, that can make one team win and another lose.  So how can you say that random events in a video game shows skill and that the MLG settings aren't competitive? MLG is straight forward. Whichever team is better, generally wins. I've lost in Halo 3 many times to teams I know I was better than. There were so many factors during those games that changed the outcome.  Factors that would have never happened in the MLG settings. 
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By Sitoxity

All I've discovered "MLG Settings" to do is take out everything but the BR and sniper, which honestly, makes Halo the same as every other game out there. Bungie even PUT IN the Assault Rifle you are saying ruins the balance for the SOLE PURPOSE of MLG players to have a DECENT starting weapon to defend themselves with.

I'd rather play with everything on the Battlefield with EVERYONE having the exact same options to fight against, because that is what competition is about. Skill within the game you decide to play. Whether it's a sport or not. Not changing the rules to suit yourself.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx
    @crono11 said:
    " What happened to playing games for fun? That's what I like to do. "
    I know right, if anything this thread illustrates the point that people are way too competitive online.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd like to see a more clean separation between the hyper-competitive and the casual playlists. In Halo 3, social and ranked were ostensibly the same thing, and you were always paired up against uber-players regardless. I'd like to see the return of Team Training from Halo 2, at the very least. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.