Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Halo is "full of bullshit" - A quick look at FPS storytelling

• 56 results
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ryanwho
    @Rawrz said:

" Oh joy lets single out Halo, even though except for Bioshock and Half-life, every FPS released nowadays tends to have a pretty generic story. Someones just mad that Halo Reach is gonna be a better game them Crysis 2. "

Well he just used an example. You single things out in an example. Its not he's saying other shooter stories aren't also full of bullshit. Its just Halo's bullshit is easiest for him to articulate.  

Also, ITT people defending Halo's story, which means they, like, took up space in their brain to remember it. Fuck their life, seriously. Yikes. 
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Tesla

Halo's story might not be amazing, but at least it's interesting.   The fuck does someone who works on Crysis know about story?  That guy needs to shut the fuck up and go back to making pretty engines.  

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#53  Edited By citizenkane

I don't think anybody who works on the Crysis series can take a jab at any other game for it's narrative storytelling.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Jimbo

Right or wrong , I certainly don't get the impression that he's just shilling for Crytek.  He seems to believe what he's saying at least, which is more than you usually get out of these interviews.  I get the impression that he's there - working on a game - for the challenge as much as anything.  He's a successful author in his own right; it's not like he needs to be doing it.  His comments sounded more like crusade talk than shilling.

Shooters don't typically lend themselves to great storytelling, particularly open-world shooters, so he's definitely got his work cut out for him.  What they're trying to do has got to be better than the standard approach though, which seems to be to get the tea boy to write the story.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel
    @CitizenKane said:
    " I don't think anybody who works on the Crysis series can take a jab at any other game for it's narrative storytelling. "
    As has been said before in this thread, this writer had nothing to do with the previous Crysis games and is actually a good novelist.  He's in a fairly good position to note what he feels is wrong with the stories in other games, and I'm sure he recognizes how bad the story in the original Crysis was, as well.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Cirdain

CE was great!
    The Rest... Less so.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By zombie2011

Morgan's an idiot. Bungie has said time and time again that they build a game with great gameplay, then they weave a story around that gameplay. So of course Halo doesn't have the best story, Bungie isn't trying to make the greatest story game ever. 

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Computerplayer1

How in the blue bloody hell can he talk about something like that when the Crysis games are probably the furthest thing from ground breaking. Actually, they're even worse than those of Halo by a long shot lol.

I love Halo, and I'm not ashamed to say that it's got space cowboy cliche written all over it, but it's a cliche done well. Crysis on the other hand is the perfect example of what I don't what to see happen with games. Graphics does not equal good time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.