Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Is it worth it?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dtat

So I have always appreciated Halo from a distance. I palyed through a little bit of Halo 3 and sunk a couple hours into multi player, but as a newcomer to the series, I couldn't fully appreciate what the game had to offer from a narrative stand point. Because it is the narrative that I find so intersting about Halo. If I ever plan to play a Halo game for real, I would like to start from the beginning and work my way through the series in order to be able to appreciate the gravitas of the more recent games. My question is: is it worth it to go back to the original Halo in 2010? Or is it just too ancient at this point? What do you all think?
    jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jinxman

Dude it's totally worth it.  I still play Halo 1 on occasion.  Story wise, the first one is probably the most enticing.  2 is pretty good as well.  3's probably the worst one, but still pretty good.  You might as well.  They're all great games.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I got a hold of Halo 1 a few months back, thinking I'd just play it for a bit and lose interest as most old games I dig up usually do for me, but to my surprise it actually lasted and I completed a good part of the game before putting it down (to play Mass Effect 2 which came out then) and I remember it being a lot of fun, it felt right (like all the Halo's did to me so far) and the combat was very engaging and challenging.
    A severe change from the Call of Duty type games where you just mow down rows of generic enemies with generic weapons.

For an old game, it plays pretty new.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The original Halo has aged really well. Halo 2 has a few visual issues when you're playing it on a 360, but it's highly playable as well, and in fact, might even feel as tight as most of the newer games, since Halo 2 is where dual-wielding and vehicle-hijacking were both introduced.  

Definitely go back through the series. Totally worth it. 

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dtat

Alright then! I'll probably get Halo 1 on Xbox live, and I'll have to find an old copy of Halo 2 somewhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.