Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Here's the other 61 cards in the Whispers of the Old Gods Expansion

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

Blizzard announced that they will be having a show match between the game developers and Dan "Frodan" Chou. Like other show matches, they said they will be revealing new cards during the match.

Two things will likely appear from this show match besides new card. The first is a whole new game board. And the other is an official confirmation of the release for the expansion. I expect they will do all of the above since Blizzard does not host official streams unless they have something important to say. The last time they had an official stream, they revealed the title of the expansion. One more thing of note is that by Thursday, Blizzard will have finished revealing cards through their streamers. So the release date is very close as they say.

See the stream on April 21 at 10AM PST (1PM EST) official Hearthstone Twitch channel

Official Press Release

The Old Gods will soon begin their invasion of the tavern, and we’re compelled choosing of our own free will to show off more of the ominous (and super fun) cards they’ll be bringing with them!

Join Lead Designer Ben Brode and Hearthstone master caster Dan “Frodan” Chouon April 21 at 10AM PST for what promises to be a thrilling series of show matches against members of the Hearthstone design team. We’ll be unveiling a number of new cards from Whispers of the Old Gods, so you’ll want to be sure to attend!

Be sure to ‘follow’ the official Hearthstone Twitch channel to be notified when the stream begins. The Old Gods will be VERY DISAPPOINTED if you don’t make it!

Update 4/21/15

• No more Sorry emote
    • You will get a quest to complete two games in Standard which rewards you with 5 free old god packs
    • You will get another quest to complete seven games in Standard which rewards you with yet another 5 free old gods packs.
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated the topic with some new information.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I mean, they really only had to remove the Mage Sorry emote, but fine, remove them all.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I can see why they would remove all of them. No one really uses the "sorry" emote except to BM. But the emote they replaced it with probably will be interpreted as negative as well.

Also I added in some new cards.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

WHOOOOOOOOOA! Staghelm just MIGHT be the thing that can keep Tempo Druid alive! That card is AMAZING, and it can add a ton of value to Druids.

Also, Cyclopian Horror is basically the bullshit mother asshole.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So, paladin just won arena.

No Caption Provided

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By imsh_pl

Not gonna lie, token Paladin is starting to look really, really good. A bunch of new cheap divine shields and a lack of Divine Favor nerf is starting to look kinda scary.

Although they are also releasing a bunch of really great taunts.

It's looking like a great set.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added more card to the original post. I don't think they will add anymore.

Noelle808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dang, I might have to play Shaman.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

I absolute hate this card with a passion already, from seeing the stream even more. The amount of value you can generate from it is just absolutely disgusting, and he even got another one with it, which with the amount of spells will not be that uncommon. Mages will just be overwhelming with spells.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Overall pretty good set of cards, I'll think it's better then TGT overall. Some really fun looking legendaries. and overall new versions of old cards

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Acura_Max

@atwa: And even then that card was not as bad as Servant of Yog-Saron. He was able to get Ancestral Knowledge off that without overload. I wonder how Blizzard will deal with that card. You can't get spell interaction since the Servant is the one casting the spell but you don't want to be letting mage cast Ancestral Knowledge for free like that.

robowitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acura_max said:

And even then that card was not as bad as Servant of Yog-Saron. He was able to get Ancestral Knowledge off that without overload. I wonder how Blizzard will deal with that card. You can't get spell interaction since the Servant is the one casting the spell but you don't want to be letting mage cast Ancestral Knowledge for free like that.

I'm not sure its that bad? It's the same outcome as Arcane Intellect, which is an acceptable outcome. 5 mana 5/4 means you're paying for something extra (probably something more valuable than Taunt) and I feel like the range of possibilities with Servant of Yogg-Saron weighs against it. Not being able to guarantee 'draw 2' makes it less worthwhile, especially when there's plenty of options which amount to "pay 5 mana for a card that destroys itself".

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By zombie2011

Wow giving away a lot of free packs, loving everything about this expansion! That video got me so excited, pretty much going to get 0 work done at work on the 26th.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Continuing to love the card art in this set. I'm very interested in seeing where the game goes once all these cards and the nerfs hit next week. I'm a little disappointed that priest didn't really get anything to make up for losing light bomb. It seems like at least every class is losing a major card without getting a replacement though so I don't feel quite as bad. Actually pretty excited to play every class this time around.

Wwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got a copy of light bomb :(

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wwen: That's a shame, it was glorious clearing the board so easily. Plus many priest cards have higher health than attack.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar

@acura_max said:

@atwa: And even then that card was not as bad as Servant of Yog-Saron. He was able to get Ancestral Knowledge off that without overload. I wonder how Blizzard will deal with that card. You can't get spell interaction since the Servant is the one casting the spell but you don't want to be letting mage cast Ancestral Knowledge for free like that.

Didn't they state that the actual update will see the caster suffering from the draw backs of overload, and that it was merely not yet implemented during the stream?

Also I don't particularly see the issue as it is just as likely that Servant lavabursts itself, at which point the overload would just be insult on top of injury.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:
    @acura_max said:

Didn't they state that the actual update will see the caster suffering from the draw backs of overload, and that it was merely not yet implemented during the stream?

Also I don't particularly see the issue as it is just as likely that Servant lavabursts itself, at which point the overload would just be insult on top of injury.

Brode said it's something they're considering. I think it's more of an issue with Yogg, where you could possibly be locked out of your next turn entirely purely because of a dice roll. The whole reason for Overload as a mechanic is you're casting the spell on credit which you're forced to pay back next turn. If the spell is free anyway (and you're not making the choice to cast it,) why should you incur the penalty?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what the new game board will look like

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@kingspeedy said:

@turambar said:
    @acura_max said:

Brode said it's something they're considering. I think it's more of an issue with Yogg, where you could possibly be locked out of your next turn entirely purely because of a dice roll. The whole reason for Overload as a mechanic is you're casting the spell on credit which you're forced to pay back next turn. If the spell is free anyway (and you're not making the choice to cast it,) why should you incur the penalty?

fwiw, in Magic: The Gathering, there are rules lawyers at the company that basically make sure the wording on cards is clear enough that it works exactly how you'd think, following the precedents set by other cards. Hearthstone really lacks this consistency, sadly.

Servant of Yog-Saron plays a random spell for free, so obviously bypasses the mana cost portion of the card. But presumably, it should do everything the text of the card says as if you had played it, like Overload, discard due to a Soulfire (or Dark Bargain, if we pretend it costs 5), because technically all of those effects are within the text of the card, even though they feel more like costs. Also, it seems really ambiguous what it does if it randomly plays something like Forbidden Shaping, though I guess Word of God from Brode on Twitter somewhere has probably clarified that. I wish the mechanical implications of cards were more immediately clear when revealed, and not so dependent on Word of God clarifications.

I guess a big issue for me is that there is no formal set of game rules for Hearthstone, and instead everything is supposed to be self explanatory, even though under the hood the programmers obviously had to program the game interactions to happen in certain ways, sometimes unintuitively. Like, a very small subset of players actually have any idea how the game knows what Deathrattles trigger in what order when multiple things die at the same time, because that's way too high level game rule knowledge to put in the tutorial, but then the game never teaches you anything mechanics related ever again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.