Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Journey to Un'Goro is Hearthstone's next expansion!

ripk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Announced today, will be out in April with more card reveals coming March 17th.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Quest and Adapt cards could really shake things up. Looks promising.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

That cheesy camping set is phenomenal. Also I like that the theme is "they're camping on an expedition", so Ben Brode is like "got it, I'll dress like a lumberjack".

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MezZa

Primal creatures that adapt constantly? So, we're Zerg now. The adapt mechanic seems cool. Kind of like discover. My biggest issue with discover was it lead to situations that you can't predict when you build a deck, or even in the middle of a game until it happens. Ex: Preparing for a Mage to have 3 flamestrikes instead of 1, predicting a specific class to have a game changing card from another class, etc. It lead to far too many scenarios that you can't predict until it's already screwed you over. Adapt at least seems nice in the sense that you immediately see what happens since its on the board, and the pool of options seems much more limited. You can see it and plan around it the second it happens. Having an adapt minion get divine shield would suck, but at least its better than questioning if that spell your opponent got from that card they played 3 turns ago is the exact one they need to beat the board you're about to lay down.

Quests sound...bad. The game is so fast already. Why bother doing a quest when I can just kill them before the quest ends. And much like Reno, there is incentive to kill someone as fast as possible to counter the quest mechanic. Unless there is a quest that lends itself to aggro or fast-ish mid-range I don't see it becoming dominant. Why would I want to build a deck that requires me to play a bunch of specific minions that I may not have used otherwise when I could just play a bunch of good minions and kill them faster. The best ones might be looming threats like Reno, but I just see everyone preferring to build around it rather than use it. Based on the example shown here, quests strike me as something that would be amazing fun in a slower game, but not something that's going to create a slower game.

I'm going to keep an eye on this expansion to see how it turns out after the first month. I'm not interested in buying in just to settle into a stale game again, but if they surprise me and make things interesting I'll gladly jump on board.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By BisonHero

@mezza: Yeah, Adapt seems more like the Kazakus potion, since it has a small, fixed number of effects that you can somewhat plan around (or so it seems). Discover is bananas because hey, that Mage could've just gotten one of any number of spells, some completely useless, some incredibly powerful.

Aggro might back off a little bit with the weakening of Small-Time Buccaneer and Spirit Claws, and lots of cards rotating out like Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem. We'll have to wait and see.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I've got my gold all saved up. I'm ready for some new cards!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The 10 adapt options are:

• Liquid Membrane - Can't be targeted by spells or Hero Powers.
    • Flaming Claws - +3 Attack
    • Crackling Shield - Divine Shield
    • Living Spores - Deathrattle: Summon two 1/1 Plants.
    • Massive - Taunt
    • Lightning Speed - Windfury
    • Volcanic Might - +1/+1
    • Rocky Carapace - +3 Health
    • Shrouding Mist - Stealth until your next turn
    • Poison Spit - Destroy any minion damaged by this one (The Emperor Cobra/Pit Snake ability)

While they all generally come at about a 1 mana cost (which also seems to be the penalty the cards get) it's very evident that some of them are MUCH more powerful than others. Hopefully they haven't made any small neutral minions that adapt, as there's enough good options for those that you can very consistently get a great minion. However even if it's relegated to bigger minions (which have fewer great options) the upside to some of them might become super tilting in arena.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The flannel and cheese is strong with this video. I love it. Also, it's going feel like an eternity until the expansion comes out. They already said that they aren't showing anymore cards until March 17th.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As a casual player I love the randomness Blizzard has so far allowed. If I wanted to play a straight card game I would just play Netrunner all the time.

However I understand the complaints from more competitive players. I think limiting the pool these random effects draw from is a good balance. Predictable enough to build counters but still enough randomness for fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.