Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Frozen Wilds: During or after the main campaign?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

In the main story, I've just gotten to the point where you visit the Faro building and see Lis talking to Ted about their vague plan. I'm level 40, and I feel like I could probably take on the Frozen Wilds at this point.

However, I don't much care for the tribe politics and the most interesting stuff for me far and away has been the Cauldrons and all of the content related to the past world. The combat doesn't do much for me and the side quests so far have been various shades of adequate.

Should I hop out of the main story to take on the Frozen Wilds at this point? Should I wait until later, when there's a more natural lull in the story? Or is it something I can leave entirely alone until after I finish the campaign?

Draxxlith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Draxxlith

I waited until I had finished the main game, and found it very good and self contained- having that context will help, but isn't necessary. I don't know that there is an "ideal" time, only a couple lines of dialogue change as far as I know if you do it prior to beating the main game. I liked having all the answers to frame all the new info, but you do get new weapons to play with that you can take back into the main game.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

It doesn't really matter, though I would suggest doing it before you finish the main game. For one, you can't actually continue playing after you finish the story. The game rolls you back to right before the start of the final mission, so the world state will be as if you're about to start the game's climax. For me, having played the DLC on my 100% complete file from around launch, it did feel weird contextually to have Aloy running off to a new land when the big finale was ostensibly about to start.

I would suggest doing it after you get some major revelations (you'll know them when they happen), but not right before the end of the game. That will avoid the weirdness and allow you all the context you'd want to get the most of the DLC content.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

This is a weird one because I think the climax of the game is so good that I think it should be the last thing you do, so you should play the DLC prior to the final mission. However, the DLC is way harder than anything in the main game and there isn't really a jumping off point from the main plot once you hit the level requirement of 30 that wouldn't feel like a big speedbump in an already deliberately paced story.

I played it after the main game but I would have liked to see it all before the ending.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: This is exactly what I was worried about. Having the game roll me back would take the wind out of my sails. I guess I'll do it to have it done sooner than later, and then I can get back to the main story.

RivieraData

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got the same problem...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@rivieradata: like the old replies here, play it in sequence with the main game. It’s a more element focused area so some of the weapons and outfits you acquire that suit the endgame have little to do with Frozen Wilds. It might even help you appreciate the depth of the game’s systems a little more just as it’s possible to stop caring.

That said, unless you’re playing on Normal, I’d be sure to be a bit over leveled. The game doesn’t scale it’s recommendations and the Frozen Wilds section is real mean.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 years later: I did end up doing the DLC as soon as it unlocked. It was really difficult but it gives you fuck-off strong weapons that shatter the difficulty of the main game. I also remember it integrating pretty well lore-wise and giving background on the state of the world and one character in particular that helped the main narrative land very strongly with me.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't get into the DLC, myself. I didn't like the fighting and controls and only finished the game to see all the crucibles, mess around with the photo mode, and learn more about the lore. The DLC fights quickly got annoying and I didn't really feel like I had a good reason to keep going. So, I would finish the game and only try out the DLC if you hunger for more content.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just checking in on this thread to say the flame-thrower bear robots rule, and are not to be trifiled with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.