Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Hotline Miami is a gosh darn revelation

• 81 results
    bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bvilleneuve

I'm about halfway through this game, and I'm all the way enjoying it. It's pretty punishing, especially if you're going for high scores, but it's so satisfying. And everything about the way it presents itself is making me feel good.

Sound off, GB-goers! Who's enjoying their time in 1989?

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By dodgyc

Played about 25 minutes of it (mostly me failing to throw the bat and react properly in the Prelude) and am loving it. That soundtrack has already hooked itself into my brain. Short, satisfying chapters, so I'll definitely be coming back to finish it. Anyone notice the "mask.nfo" in the game directory?

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Played it just a little bit this evening. So far it is pretty enjoyable, the soundtrack alone is pretty awesome, but it would be even more enjoyable for me, if the gamepad controls would work... I hope it will be patched soon...

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CaLe

The first boss fight made me rage-quit the game. Something I haven't done in years.. I've enjoyed everything else about it though.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By takua108

I was desperately trying to figure out how to purchase the soundtrack for listening outside of the game because it's pretty amazing, but all I could find was this bandcamp page with no download or purchase options.

Then I noticed that all the music is right there in ogg format in the game directory.

Also, funny to see that this is a Game Maker game:

No Caption Provided

So what about mask.nfo now? It just contains a "0" ...

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dodgyc
    @takua108: I just thought it was odd to have an .nfo file as part of the game installation. Mine says 2 in the contents, and I've unlocked 3 masks, so perhaps it refers to the number of unlocked masks. Haven't changed the number yet.  
    Thought maybe it was a little reference to the piracy scene or something? I seem to remember another developer put a proper .nfo in their game directory recently , with ASCII formatting and faux 'scene' messages. ANyway, also happy the soundtrack is there, albeit it in .ogg format and without any tagging or proper naming.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

This game is fantastic. As I play it, I wonder why no one has made a game like this before. You really have to think about how to go about each mission, but you have to be able to adjust on the fly. As often as I die, I never feel frustrated. That's a testament to the perfect difficulty curve.

I'll give kudos to the graphics. The colors and effects take what would be meh pixel art, and turn it into something awesome to look at. And the music. That tune that plays after you finish a level is amazing.

I don't get why so many people are complaining about the bosses. I've taken down two, and while difficult, they weren't so bad.

My one gripe is that my walrus mask doesn't seem to have any effect.

I have three more missions, but they get longer and longer... and I need to do homework...

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maajin

I guess I don't get it. Played for 30min, could never control the character exactly the way I wanted, killing is not as fun as I expected and enemies reacted too fast without giving me a lot of feedback on what I was doing wrong.

Love the style and music, though, so I'll definitely give it another shot when they fix the 360 controller thing.

Also, 2012 seems to be the year of the bow AND the year of stealth!

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By dyong

Had a listen, that was indeed a good bit of electronica.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I watched the trailer and immediately thought "this is something that I want to play but I want to hear what people say about it first".

Hearing all this, I think I'm going to have to pick it up.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero
    NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By NyxFe

@BisonHero said:

I remember this preview seeming highly appropriate for the tone of the game:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/18/hotline-miami-preview/

Or highly appropriate for a Chuck Palahniuk novel or something.

Anyway, I've seen the gameplay, but what's the uhhh premise/story/gist of the game, without giving away too much?

You are some dude who gets phone messages about various "jobs" that boil down to you brutally murdering everyone in sight. The story reveals itself pretty slowly so I don't want to say much else. It's a really interesting game. I highly recommend it.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Jaktajj

There's a multitude of things in this game that make it one of the best i've played this year. Stunning game!

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thatdudeguy

Wow. I'm four levels in and loving it. It's Cactus's traditional brand of insanity wrapped in a surprisingly solid gameplay package.

As a mostly-controller-user, the only gripe I have with the controls is that I'm finding manual aiming to be really difficult. As an example: I'm about to enter a room with two gun-toting baddies. I can lock-on to one of them before entering. So after kicking in the door the first guy goes down without a problem. To take care of the second guy, I have to locate the mouse cursor in a really busy background and rapidly snap it towards the second guy before he has time to react (about a half-second.)

But I'm getting used to it. I haven't hit the dreaded boss fights yet, so that may color my opinion. Right now, it's a blast.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE

Just finished it. Much more fun than it has any right to be, and completely baffling to boot. Just the way I like it.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By audiosnow

@takua108 said:

I was desperately trying to figure out how to purchase the soundtrack for listening outside of the game because it's pretty amazing, but all I could find was this bandcamp page with no download or purchase options.

Then I noticed that all the music is right there in ogg format in the game directory.

No Caption Provided

So what about mask.nfo now? It just contains a "0" ...

Hup, someone forgot to change "factor" to "global.factor..."

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kindgineer

I want to play it, but lack the cash to do so right now.

Also, because I'm that guy, how is it a "revelation?"

rev·e·la·tion/ˌrevəˈlāSHən/

Noun:
    1. A surprising and previously unknown fact, esp. one made in a dramatic way.
    2. The making known of a secret or the unknown.
    Synonyms:disclosure - exposure - detection - apocalypse
    Mansemat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Mansemat

Hello

Anyone know if there's a way to change your controls. The default are ofcourse set in QWERTY and i'm using AZERTY. Making my keyboard qwerty in windows doesn't resolve this issue and it's quite frankly unplayable by using the keys as such.

Does anyone know of any hacks or whatever to change these controls or to let Steam know that my AZERTY isn't QWERTY and my left isn't top. And no I don't have a joystick or controller nor will buying one be an option for now.

Thanks in advance

PS Oh great now I can't do shit since i accidentally enabled xbox controller >>

Have to force quit

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By granderojo

Why the fuck did you have to tell me this? There are more games than I have time to play. :(

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By kraznor

Played it all the way through today. Indeed, fantastic game, I'd call it the "Super Meat Boy" of Smash-TV style games, if that makes sense. Gruesome, top-down perspective combat done perfectly (well...aside from those boss battles, perhaps, those didn't seem to really take advantage of the chaotic combat flow of the rest of the game). If I have any beef its simply I wish there was more of it. A level editor and the ability to raise the difficulty would give me more reasons to keep playing it than beating my scores and unlocking stuff.

Oh, incidentally, how does one score in flexibility? Has this mystery been cracked or is it a bug?

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By reisz

@Kraznor said:

Played it all the way through today. Indeed, fantastic game, I'd call it the "Super Meat Boy" of Smash-TV style games, if that makes sense. Gruesome, top-down perspective combat done perfectly (well...aside from those boss battles, perhaps, those didn't seem to really take advantage of the chaotic combat flow of the rest of the game). If I have any beef its simply I wish there was more of it. A level editor and the ability to raise the difficulty would give me more reasons to keep playing it than beating my scores and unlocking stuff.

Oh, incidentally, how does one score in flexibility? Has this mystery been cracked or is it a bug?

I've been trying like crazy to trigger a flexibility score, so far I haven't been able to get it to tick with swapping weapons for every kill. Next on the list is never killing in the same way twice in a row, If I ever manage it I will chime in here, I expect someone else will discover it first though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli

Out of curiosity (stirred by the the live action trailer) I went on youtube to find out about Miami Hotline. Watched a hilariously politically incorrect Skandinavian man play the game for half an hour.

I am entertained. Yet again a reason to finally get me that debit/credit card to get in on all the digitally distributed awesomeness of indie-gaming.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By BoG

@Reisz said:

@Kraznor said:

I've been trying like crazy to trigger a flexibility score, so far I haven't been able to get it to tick with swapping weapons for every kill. Next on the list is never killing in the same way twice in a row, If I ever manage it I will chime in here, I expect someone else will discover it first though.

Destructoid said "never score above a zero in this category," as if it's a bad thing. (http://www.destructoid.com/review-hotline-miami-237249.phtml) I have a hunch that it might be a typo. Other sites seem to indicate that it's for using a variety of weapons, so it's probably a bug. I've tried using every weapon in a level to maximize my score, and never gone above zero.

I also think there are issues with the achievements. It says I have zero kills =(

simkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By simkas

This game is indeed amazing, all the action is very quick, brutal and requires extreme precision but that just makes everything so much more satisfying when you succesfully pass a level.

Also has there been any word on the guys doing a quick look of it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

I need a Quick Look. Stat.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By takua108

Still trying to wrap my mind around the story... here's what I understand, but then again I played the whole thing while sleep-deprived and might be messing some of it up:

So, like, most of the game, you're Jacket Dude, and you see Glasses Dude in the in-between segments. Near the beginning of the game, Glasses Dude mentions that you've lost your girlfriend.You're doing missions wherein you kill a whole mess of dudes, because of these calls you get that tell you to do so. At one point, you fight and kill Biker Dude in the phone company building. At another point, you decide to not murder some woman and save her and she comes to live with you for awhile. Meanwhile, there's these in-between segments where you're talking to the Three Masked Dudes.

Then shit goes crazy and Glasses Dude tells you that everything you see isn't real, and there's that dead body on the ground. Then Glasses Dude is dead, and there's another guy in his place, much less friendly to you, and there's, like, dead bodies everywhere in the in-between bits, and they talk to you and stuff. Meanwhile the girl you saved is living with you.

Then you come home and find the girl dead in the bathroom, and a masked dude sitting on your couch. He shoots you. The game says "press R to retry."

You come back to life at your bed, re-enter the living room, and there's you on the ground, dead. You talk to mask dude a bit more, go into a room that shouldn't exist, and see a dude in a hospital bed. Then you become that dude.

Then you wake up and find yourself in a hospital, having apparently been in a coma.

At this point, I thought "oh okay, everything up to this point has been a coma-dream, now here's where things get real."

You escape the hospital and go back to your place, which is now a crime scene. You reach in the laundry and put your jacket and pants back on, and head to the police station to murder all the cops within and then you find the location of the Russian boss or something? So I guess maybe the whole first part wasn't just a coma-dream? Or was it? What? And during all this, you're wearing the same masks that you were before... so... I dunno, this is the part where the game loses me.

So you go to the place and kill the boss dude, and then you go to a back room and find an old dude and kill him, step out onto the balcony, smoke, roll credits.

Then we go back in time to earlier, and you're Biker Dude. You're rejecting the phone calls, trying to find out where they're coming from instead. While trying to find the source of the phone calls, you go to the phone company, murder everyone within, get the next piece of the trail, and then boom, in comes Jacket Dude, and you... you kill him. He dies.

You then proceed to eventually find the real source of the whole thing, these two phone company dudes (one of whom Jacket Dude saw (or didn't? because he was DEAD and/or in a COMA???) a couple of times over the course of the story. They're all mysterious and don't reveal much and you kill them, roll credits.

Then you collect all the collectibles and solve the puzzle and get the password to the computer just before the last bit and learn almost nothing else and it's extremely vague and disappointing.

So like... are these two separate timelines, two different stories, then? How much of Jacket Dude's story was real? Were the Three Masked Dudes real, or just coma-people? Who was Glasses Dude? Was he just a figment of your coma-magination, or a real person, at some point? Etc. etc. I'm going to bed now.
    morello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morello
    ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ghost_cat

It would be great if this game was treated like Quake or Doom with level creations and sprite conversions from the community. It makes sense for a game like this to be short, but damn I wanted more!

simkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By simkas

@Ghost_Cat: I was just thinking that, a level editor for this would be awesome and probably wouldn't be hard to use.

McGrittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McGrittles

How long is the game?

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By murisan

I'm sorry... I think this game is absolute trash. $10 for this?

First of all, after you enable 360 pad control, you cannot hit start/A/anything to select anything in the menu, so that functionality basically does not exist. Gross.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#32  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@murisan: Calling it trash because it has some technical hiccups? Somewhat extreme I think. Just wait for the upcoming patch.

I love this game. Been waiting for it for a while, and it plays just like I hoped it would. One of the things that really get to me is the fact that the music stops when the last guy on a mission dies. It's just as the Eurogamer review said, it can make you think. You don't notice how many people you kill as you are doing it, the music is pumping you up, the stress of almost dying in most encounters keep you on your toes, and you just want to get through the floor unhurt. Then, when you are walking back to your car, you see what you have done. The way the music stops makes it feel somewhat nightmarish. Brilliant.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaggE

@Jaqen_HGhar: Yeah, there's definitely something disturbing about this game underneath the semi-jokey surface. Even the main menu is unnerving.

simkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By simkas

Why do people want to play this with a controller? This is exactly the kind of game that has to be played with mouse and keyboard, the amount of precision with the aiming it requires is only really possible when you use the mouse to aim, it would be impossible with a controller.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX

@simkas said:

Why do people want to play this with a controller? This is exactly the kind of game that has to be played with mouse and keyboard, the amount of precision with the aiming it requires is only really possible when you use the mouse to aim, it would be impossible with a controller.

Only on chapter 4 (got stuck with the bomb sequence, have no idea where to go next) and playing with M+K but I think it would be possible with a controller- for me a lot of the range/aiming kills I get by locking on first while around a corner, then popping out and shooting/throwing things anyway. Or running into a room and wacking dudes before they can shoot me- neither really require that precise aiming tbh

Incapability

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Incapability

@takua108: Actually, once you get the password, the two dudes you meet eventually have new information for you which explains that the two characters have been on the same path - and more interestingly, it is slowly revealed there are many, many more people like you.

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Smokey_Earhole

@BeachThunder said:

Incoming! But...you just know it's gonna be Patrick covering it, and with its hot indie aesthetic, gonna get showered with praise.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#38  Edited By kalmis

Oh doh just figured out from that Youtube clip that you can look around with aim button. Would have made it so much easier.

simkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By simkas

@DystopiaX said:

@simkas said:

Only on chapter 4 (got stuck with the bomb sequence, have no idea where to go next) and playing with M+K but I think it would be possible with a controller- for me a lot of the range/aiming kills I get by locking on first while around a corner, then popping out and shooting/throwing things anyway. Or running into a room and wacking dudes before they can shoot me- neither really require that precise aiming tbh

That might work for the first part of the game but later on, when you have to run into a room, lock onto one guy, take him out, then lock onto another guy and take him out before any of them can fuck you up would seem super hard with a controller. Really quick and precise aiming is key when the game gets properly hard.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm definitely going to pick this up. Might just wait to have the bugs worked out but I love the drug-infused aesthetic, soundtrack, and the top down twitch gameplay.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DystopiaX

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@BeachThunder said:

Incoming! But...you just know it's gonna be Patrick covering it, and with its hot indie aesthetic, gonna get showered with praise.

This time it's deserved, although Patrick's "If it's Indie it's good, if it's mainstream it's probably bad" mentality is starting to annoy me.

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Smokey_Earhole

@DystopiaX said:

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@BeachThunder said:

This time it's deserved, although Patrick's "If it's Indie it's good, if it's mainstream it's probably bad" mentality is starting to annoy me.

I'm with you. I think he was a great addition to the team, but lately his shtick has begun to get on my nerves. For all his talk about being open minded, he's seems more and more dismissive of whole genres.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gaff

Dick Laurent is dead.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ervonymous

Bought it, three hours later it's over and I'm satisfied. 47 should take heed and start throwing loaded shotguns at people to take them out silently.

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dodgyc

Just watched the credits.  Of course there would be a special thanks to Nicolas Winding Refn at the end...

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Genkkaku

I was pretty much in listening to you guys talk about it, then the quicklook..

@dodgyc said:

Just watched the credits. Of course there would be a special thanks to Nicolas Winding Refn at the end...

and now this and I'm triple in..

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47  Edited By Giantstalker

I saw it was cheap, and everyone was talking about it, so I decided to pick it up earlier this afternoon. I love the 80's aesthetic, but about half an hour later, I can safely say this is not my kind of game.

It isn't the first time I've been fooled by great reviews, and likely won't be the last. At least it was only $10.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scrawnto

@takua108 said:

If you're not familiar with the developer, cactus makes a ton of games in very short time frames. I think the fact that he uses Game Maker is what makes that possible. There are a number of surprisingly sophisticated games that use it. I can't say I care for using it myself. XNA is more my style.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Genkkaku said:

I was pretty much in listening to you guys talk about it, then the quicklook..

@dodgyc said:

Just watched the credits. Of course there would be a special thanks to Nicolas Winding Refn at the end...

and now this and I'm triple in..

Sold!

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shookems

Does anyone remember the name of that old flash game that was mechanically very similar to hotline miami?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.