Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kickstarter Funded

Concept »

Games that were funded through Kickstarter.

On Kickstarter, There Are No Guarantees

MrMisanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By MrMisanthrope

It really depends on what's being offered, who's offering it, and how they offer it.

Tim Schafer's project was a success because he's built up a ton of good will, and time and again proven himself to be trustworthy, friendly, funny, and dedicated to delivering quality products. He was also offering a type of game that otherwise simply couldn't exist. It was the perfect pitch.

Wasteland 2 kind of rode that success, delivered a pretty good -if partially vague- pitch for another style of game that otherwise people simply would not get. It was supported by everyone who missed the old non-FPS Fallout games.

Then the crowdsource shooter kickstarter was posted, and I just saw nothing to get behind there. The market is flooded with shooters, and nothing in his pitch made it sound unique. It didn't help matters that he insulted gamers (even if second-hand) by stating he'd been told Console Gamers were too dumb to buy his game. Or that he admitted in the description he put it up entirely because of the success of the Double Fine Adventure.

Honestly though, what's really hurting it now is that certain sites are now blocking discussion of it, perhaps feeling like they've become a platform for e-begging. Currently you will be banned on 4chan if you attempt to post a link to a kickstarter page. If the projects can't go viral anymore, they can't get support.

Oh, and the whole thing lost some legitimacy with the posting of the Your World project, not to mention indiegogo's Arkh Project, which has been an embarrassment for much longer.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#202  Edited By DG991

Auditorium <3

Can't wait to get my goodies, totally worth the money!

Dalfiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Dalfiuss

Co-op Auditorium sounds like shit. Keep other people the fuck away from my Auditorium.

Snowsprite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Snowsprite
    Kickstarter was founded in 2008, and since, many have tried using it to get ideas off the ground. Not everyone's a success story. Before Borut Pfeifer was a designer on upcoming XBLA strategy game Skulls of the Shogun, he pitched a puzzle/action game set during the post-election riots in Iran. He figured it would take $15,000 to make that game--he got only $2,925.

IT'S NOT RELIABLE AT ALL TAKE THIS GUY WHO WANTED TO MAKE A TRAIN BOMBING IRAN PUZZLE GAME

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS KICKSTARTERS YOUR LUCK IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#205  Edited By mikemcn

All kickstarter did was flood the indie game market with money and create a bubble, tons of games are bound to get hurt by it, especially as big and fancy games with million dollar kick starters get all the attention while other, equally interesting games are kicked under the carpet.

matthewleb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By matthewleb

Everytime Patrick posts one of these stories, I get in trouble

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207  Edited By Enigma_2099

Attention Kickstarters... no one who doesn't know/trust you is going to donate to you. That's why Schaffer succeeded.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#208  Edited By mewarmo990

For me, Kickstarter is somewhat of a risk/reward thing. I'm not going to order a freaking iPod dock, for example, when it won't be delivered until July 2012 (by which time iPhone 5 will probably be out soon). Or a board game that only tries to sell its art and has exposed very little of the actual game.

Tim Schaefer, Brian Fargo, and other people with real reputations are the exception to the trule because people are just going to kickstart based on trust. But most other gaming-related projects look and sound really risky. You really have to know how to pitch a product; otherwise, you won't even be able to find a publisher.

zwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By zwolf

I'm entranced by kickstarter and it's potential as a financing tool, thanks for this article!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#210  Edited By monkeyking1969

@The_Boots said:

I think people might be being a bit too negative. I mean, think about what we're saying! I helped a single guy quit his day job as a lawyer and set out to do something productive for a change: make a cool looking video game! I think the problem is that after such incredible successes as Double Fine, we're losing sight of the fact that $60,000 is still a LOT OF MONEY.

That what I say, sure there a pitfalls and not everyone gets fully funded...but that is the point. People keep saying, "Well it’s not the little guy who gets funded." But I say, "Well that is maybe for the best." A rag-tag bunch of people in a basement with just a good idea are no ready to take money from people and get a product out in most cases. Unless you have made a game and sold it on the Apple store or some PC shareware site, they you probably dont have teh inferstucture or management to handle an Kickstarter game. And, such rag-tag groups are likely bad news, because when they don't produce anything decent having burn all the money... everyone looks bad.

On the investing side, I'd tell people to give $15 and then keep their expectations in check. If you cannot afford to LOSE (totally get nothing for your money) you should not be sniffing around a site like Kickstarter. If $15 is just a few cups of coffee to you and you like the prospect of a neat idea seeing the light of day then you have the correct mindset. If you are going to whine and cry when you don't get what you feel is $15 worth of value for $15 paid in -- JUST STAY AWAY.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.