Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killer7

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 09, 2005

Killer7 follows Harman Smith, a wheelchair-bound assassin with multiple personalities that manifest as seven seemingly supernatural killers. And the premise is the least weird thing about the game.

Remains a very well-executed vision.

abomstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By abomstar

I applaud this game for its extremely surreal, convoluted, sometimes incoherent plot, as much as some hated it for that. No More Heroes seemed like a disappointment in that respect; retained the Suda51 wackiness, but without any attempt at meaning.

I'm usually not a big fan of anime-style, every character is larger than life, dialogue consists mostly of one-liners approach to storytelling, but Killer7 finds a perfect balance of pure stylistic entertainment and food for thought.

It's a little bit disappointing that there are so many loose ends, and the presentation gameplay-wise is rather sparse (I didn't have a problem with it though), but it works great as a self-contained bizarre ride. The ending sequences absolutely blew my mind the first time.

Killer7 is over 3 years old now, so I'm wondering what other peoples' lasting impression of it is.

Avatar image for bread_or_decide
    bread_or_decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By bread_or_decide
    Abomstar said:
    "I applaud this game for its extremely surreal, convoluted, sometimes incoherent plot, as much as some hated it for that. No More Heroes seemed like a disappointment in that respect; retained the Suda51 wackiness, but without any attempt at meaning.

I'm usually not a big fan of anime-style, every character is larger than life, dialogue consists mostly of one-liners approach to storytelling, but Killer7 finds a perfect balance of pure stylistic entertainment and food for thought.

It's a little bit disappointing that there are so many loose ends, and the presentation gameplay-wise is rather sparse (I didn't have a problem with it though), but it works great as a self-contained bizarre ride. The ending sequences absolutely blew my mind the first time.

Killer7 is over 3 years old now, so I'm wondering what other peoples' lasting impression of it is.

"
    My last impression: Wonderfully weird. Truly an art house game if I ever saw one. Horrible gameplay. Great story. I felt like I had to suffer through the game just to get to all the cool weird stuff. If you ask me at least NMH is fun to play even if it doesn't have a story that's like Killer 7. Still Killer 7 stands alone for better or worse as an uncompromised creation. Suda 51 is on my radar now and forever. No More Heroes is better and his next effort should be even better than K7 or NMH.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's weird with Killer7 as it is pretty much completely unplayable and yet I do totally love it and remember it completely fondly. The music is totally fantastic, the characters are amazing and the disjointed nature of the story, while confusing and seemingly unfinished, made for an interesting set up.

Also, as you can tell by my name, the section with the Handsome Men was fantastic. The idea of Power Ranger Sentai terrorists is genius.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DarkLegend

It came out for the PS2?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah. Quite a while after the GameCube version did with pretty much no publicity.

_blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By _blank

ya, but the ps2 version kind of sucked (im not a fan boy of either side, so dont say i am just choosing nintendo here). The ps2 version was messed up with massive load times and at the worst times possible like switching personas. Also (from my experience) the colors and stuff in it looked much less vivid, just might have been me though

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gary_Jinfield

Given the importance of presentation and style in Killer 7, the superior graphical aspects of the GameCube version (along with the lessor loading times) do result in the Game Cube version being considered the superior over all version, although the Ps2 version is still playable and features the same content.

Likely one of my favorite games ether way, although I prefer No More Heroes due to the superior game play.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SSbabel

Definatley one of my all time favorites, from its unique art style to its innovative gameplay mechanics its a must have. To truly appreciate the game i suggest the Gamecube version its just that much graphicly better.

LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By LAMP

Killer7 is the first time it occurred to me that artistic expression can happen in the same place as game design. I think it's a fascinating commentary of Eastern versus Western schools of thought, and the abrasive gameplay goes a long ways to serve the purposes of that commentary.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I think most of you misunderstood the gameplay to be honest. It is abrasive but it certainly isn't bad.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "I think most of you misunderstood the gameplay to be honest. It is abrasive but it certainly isn't bad.
    "
    It may not have been bad, but it definitely wasn't good.
    dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By dietmango

I love this game. The gameplay was alright, but the story was really what makes this game great. Well executed by SUDA-51

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.