Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

You won't believe this (E3 08)

• 101 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-6071c19eec72a
    deactivated-6071c19eec72a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Anyone who is not legally blind can see that Killzone 2 is the best looking game on a console so far.  So in a "best graphics award" for E3, either Killzone 2 or Crysis would win right?  Because Crysis has the best graphics on the PC and Killzone 2 has the best graphics on the console.... not according to IGN, they give it to Gears of War 2....................................................................  Don't get me wrong, Gears of War 2 looks great, but it is not in the same ballpark as Killzone 2.  If you think this is a joke here is the link

http://games.ign.com/articles/893/893833p4.html

I really like IGN but I think their credability went straight downhill...  Is it just ignorance?  Or does everyone over there hate the PS3 that much other then the Playstation channel?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By RedSox8933

all this garbage about credibility is stupid.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By themoon13

Killzone 2 has an extremely bland color palette even in the world of colorless games that we live in today. Personally, I find many games more appealing than Killzone 2 in terms of visuals just because of the color scheme.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By lucas_kelly

Have you seen both of them in action? Didn't think so.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Player1
    Snipes424 said:
    "Anyone who is not legally blind can see that Killzone 2 is the best looking game on a console so far.  So in a "best graphics award" for E3, either Killzone 2 or Crysis would win right?  Because Crysis has the best graphics on the PC and Killzone 2 has the best graphics on the console.... not according to IGN, they give it to Gears of War 2....................................................................  Don't get me wrong, Gears of War 2 looks great, but it is not in the same ballpark as Killzone 2.  If you think this is a joke here is the link

I really like IGN but I think their credability went straight downhill...  Is is just ignorance?  Or does everyone over there hate the PS3 that much other then the Playstation channel?
    "
    Ignorance? no. I would say more fanboyism on your part. Just because your system has blu-ray doesnt mean that it HAS to have the game with the best graphics. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lucas_kelly said:
    "Have you seen both of them in action? Didn't think so.
    "
    What gears of war 2 and Killzone 2?  I've seen them both in action.........

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Player1 said:
    "Snipes424 said:
    "Anyone who is not legally blind can see that Killzone 2 is the best looking game on a console so far.  So in a "best graphics award" for E3, either Killzone 2 or Crysis would win right?  Because Crysis has the best graphics on the PC and Killzone 2 has the best graphics on the console.... not according to IGN, they give it to Gears of War 2....................................................................  Don't get me wrong, Gears of War 2 looks great, but it is not in the same ballpark as Killzone 2.  If you think this is a joke here is the link

I really like IGN but I think their credability went straight downhill...  Is is just ignorance?  Or does everyone over there hate the PS3 that much other then the Playstation channel?
    "
    Ignorance? no. I would say more fanboyism on your part. Just because your system has blu-ray doesnt mean that it HAS to have the game with the best graphics. "
    Where did I say anything about blu-ray??  You are confusing me

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lucas_kelly
    Snipes424 said:
    "lucas_kelly said:
    "
    "
    I'm not talking about videos, I'm talking about actually seeing them be played or playing them yourself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lucas_kelly said:
    "Snipes424 said:
    "lucas_kelly said:
    "
    "
    I'm not talking about videos, I'm talking about actually seeing them be played or playing them yourself.
    "
    Well I've seen them both in HD... I mean yeah they both will look a little better once I play them.  Go play CoD4 or any other game and then watch them in HD, it looks pretty similar to what you will actually be seeing, the only thing is that you don't have a controller in your hand, which does not up the graphics :)
    sgthalka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10  Edited By sgthalka

I've seen the HD gameplay videos of both KZ2 and Gears 2 ... I don't know how anyone could say KZ2 looks better than Gears.

It doesn't. Just look at the footage. KZ2 doesn't look bad. It's just not at the level that Gears is.

Brucie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brucie

Gametrailers gave Killzone 2 best graphics and they are major fanboys over there so.....

But yeah, nothing can touch gears 2's animation or scale

Shinedown220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shinedown220

I think Killzone 2 looks better than Gears of War 2, but guess what thats my opinion.

To Brucie about your last statement, I think R2 may have something to say about that.

sgthalka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13  Edited By sgthalka

It's not a matter of opinion. Gears 2 looks factually better than KZ2. The environments are more vivid and detailed. Horizons are more realistic. Character models are more detailed. Lighting effects are more pronounced and realistic. Destructible cover, more unique enemies, larger-scale battles, more unique weapons.

Face it -- KZ2 looks like a CoD 4 knockoff. Gears 2 has established itself as its own franchise with its own identity. Killzone was a generic me-too shooter on PS2, and looks like it will be another generic me-too shooter on PS3.

I don't even own a 360, and I can see this.

Why am I even in this thread. Time to go.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By MOLE

Gears of War has alot of enemies on screen at once, so maybe that played as a factor in their decision

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Nemesis

Both games look good, but on a technical level Gears of War 2 is the best looking game, on consoles that is. Also you have to look at other factors such as size, and the number of things going onscreen at once.

NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeoTheta

eh. It's a matter of opinion. They're probably just more hotly anticipating GeoW2, and as of thus, think it has the best graphics they've seen this year. That's fine. I personally don't think the graphics look that great, but they technically have a right to an opinion.

Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chojin

A developer on KZ2 said, during the 25 min presentation in Leipzig 2007, that the first level alone takes up 2 GB of data, which means that only 2 levels in Killzone 2 uses the same amount of space as an entire DVD, which is the disc format on which Gears 2 is produced. The developer also explained that the high amount of polygons in each level as well as characters makes it impossible to create on any other platform or disc format. This means that the characters and environments WILL consist of FAR more polygons and high-res textures than those in Gears of war 2, and as a result look better (we’re not discussing design here).

Its just ignorance to think that those 45 GB of extra disc space will be used to squeeze in 30-40 extra levels, instead of making it look as good as possible.

I absolutely love Gears, and can’t wait for the sequel. But the Unreal engine is getting old and Epic is limited by the DVD disc space. Killzone 2 is and will be a better looking game. No question about it.

PeterPantsless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PeterPantsless
    GoranP said:
    "Killzone 2 has an extremely bland color palette even in the world of colorless games that we live in today. Personally, I find many games more appealing than Killzone 2 in terms of visuals just because of the color scheme.
    "
    Being fair, Gears 2 isn't exactly a rainbow.
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By calf_exercises

I dont agree with thier decision but I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion, but dont take it to seriously, they're not making you beleive something, only telling their beleives.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brukaoru

E3 Awards are very silly in the first place. They give awards to games that are not even half way done development, they can end up being crap, etc. The very idea of awarding an incomplete product sounds silly to me.

Also, Killzone 2 won in 2007 for "Special Commendation for Graphics" (Game Critics Awards 2007) Do we really need to give same awards to the same games every year?

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    Chojin said:
    "

A developer on KZ2 said, during the 25 min presentation in Leipzig 2007, that the first level alone takes up 2 GB of data, which means that only 2 levels in Killzone 2 uses the same amount of space as an entire DVD, which is the disc format on which Gears 2 is produced. The developer also explained that the high amount of polygons in each level as well as characters makes it impossible to create on any other platform or disc format. This means that the characters and environments WILL consist of FAR more polygons and high-res textures than those in Gears of war 2, and as a result look better (we’re not discussing design here).

Its just ignorance to think that those 45 GB of extra disc space will be used to squeeze in 30-40 extra levels, instead of making it look as good as possible.

I absolutely love Gears, and can’t wait for the sequel. But the Unreal engine is getting old and Epic is limited by the DVD disc space. Killzone 2 is and will be a better looking game. No question about it.

"
    Fool

They just say that for impact, its because they don't compress anything

Think about it...LAIR was 16.9GB on BluRay...now tell me...LAIR look better or bigger than Gears?

Your a damn fanboy, Bluray is a joke, MGS4 would fit on 2 DVDs with compression, it just wouldnt do 1080p naturally because all PS3 games are just a pile of Uncompressed HD files
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chojin

Well, I’m absolutely no fanboy since I own all platforms and play all AAA titles no matter which platform they’re released on.

I absolutely loved the first Gears, as I mentioned, which should have also indicated that fact.

I haven’t played Lair, so I can’t really say anything about it. But I HAVE played MGS4, and can tell you that there is nothing on xbox that even comes close. The amount of textures, polygons, animations as well as the quality of all those, (have you really played through MGS4?) exceeds any game on Microsoft’s console, and I think for a reason other than “uncompressed files”.

I love the 360, but to think that it could produce something as good looking as MGS4 (or KZ2) is not something you could convince me of, just by calling me a fool.

I’m not really sure why you even doubt the graphic quality of KZ2.

Personally I think it would be very, very strange if a game which is made exclusively for a more powerful console, which is in desperate need of showing of that power instead of just talking about it, didn’t look better. It’s just logical.

And of course they say stuff like that for impact, but it doesn’t make it any less true. To think that they are lying, especially after seeing the game in motion, is truly foolish.

And to call blu-ray a joke… is just plain stupid.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Will1Lucky

I would have given the Award to Mirror's Edge myself, now that looked like the happy vibrant world I'm looking for :).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWaterCO said:
    "Chojin said:
    "

"
    Fool

They just say that for impact, its because they don't compress anything

Think about it...LAIR was 16.9GB on BluRay...now tell me...LAIR look better or bigger than Gears?

Your a damn fanboy, Bluray is a joke, MGS4 would fit on 2 DVDs with compression, it just wouldnt do 1080p naturally because all PS3 games are just a pile of Uncompressed HD files
    "
    Let's get one thing right here.. blu ray is not a joke.

Let me ask you a question, would you rather watch a movie on blu ray or on DVD?

Also if you were a developer would you rather work on a medium that is 8-9 gb in size or 50gb in size?  I think I would pick the larger, it's always better to have too much then too little.

I still think that Sony putting Blu Ray on the PS3 was a good idea and it gives people another incentive to buy the system, other then exclusive games such as MGS4, LBP, Infamous, GT5, etc.

You are probably right that MGS4 would fit on 2-3 DVDs with a shit ton of compressing but I would still get it on blu ray just like I am going to get FF13 for the PS3 because of the fact that we are not in the PS1 era anymore and I don't have to see *please insert disc 6* anymore.

But seriously if you hate blu ray, then you are either
    A) uninformed or
    B) Xbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will1Lucky said:
    "I would have given the Award to Mirror's Edge myself, now that looked like the happy vibrant world I'm looking for :)."
    Yeah Mirror's Edge is looking REALLY nice :)
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422

Color Pallettes aside,Gears and Killzone aren't even the same kind of shooter to begin with. Certain elements of the way the visuals look are that way for a reason. But no,as good as Gears looks,it isn't better looking than KZ2,and no i'm not a fanboy of any console,I love both. Reguardless of the bland colors honestly in both of the games(even though gears went a bit brighter this time) Killzone 2 is hands down better looking,its not even a debate. As far as at the moment even now,MGS4 looks better than Gears 2 will look though.

People also need to realize the engines that people are rendering for,Gears 2 changes the lighting so it looks less "realistic" and more like a cinematic movie(quote from cliff) and the unreal engine looks great for creating monsters and sci-fi worlds,however killzone is taking a more photo realistic approach similar to Cod4(just look at the gun models in first person view,no gun model to date looks that good.)  So as I said before,these aren't really games to compare because of genre to begin with,they make choices because of that reason.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pause422

Color Pallettes aside,Gears and Killzone aren't even the same kind of shooter to begin with. Certain elements of the way the visuals look are that way for a reason. But no,as good as Gears looks,it isn't better looking than KZ2,and no i'm not a fanboy of any console,I love both. Reguardless of the bland colors honestly in both of the games(even though gears went a bit brighter this time) Killzone 2 is hands down better looking,its not even a debate. As far as at the moment even now,MGS4 looks better than Gears 2 will look though.

People also need to realize the engines that people are rendering for,Gears 2 changes the lighting so it looks less "realistic" and more like a cinematic movie(quote from cliff) and the unreal engine looks great for creating monsters and sci-fi worlds,however killzone is taking a more photo realistic approach similar to Cod4(just look at the gun models in first person view,no gun model to date looks that good.)  So as I said before,these aren't really games to compare because of genre to begin with,they make choices because of that reason.

Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chojin
    BlackWaterCO said:

I tried to find some polycount info on Lair, since you implied that Gears looks so much better.

I found and interesting blog about the polycount of game character models, made by Rick Stirling, a character artist.

On his list were both Gears of war and Lair.

Marcus from Gears uses 15 000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps, while the main dragon plus its rider from Lair uses 150 000 polygons.

A 16x16KM scene from Lair uses 134 MILLION polygons (streamed into memory, not loaded at run time), which is also kind of mind blowing. And that’s just a shitty release game.

Are you sure that Gears is SO much better looking? Cause 135 000 extra polygons on the main character alone means A LOT when you’re building a 3D model.

The most interesting fact on his list (had nothing to do with our discussion) was Resident Evil 4 to GC, where is built using 10 000 polygons. THAT is amazing!

oGShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By oGShAdY
    Snipes424 said:

I really like IGN but I think their credability went straight downhill...  Is it just ignorance?  Or does everyone over there hate the PS3 that much other then the Playstation channel?
    "
    To be completely on topic, only two of Killzone 2's levels have been shown to the press. The color pallet in Killzone 2 is anything but bland if you have actually seen demoed footage and that's just from two levels. We have yet to see anything other than that from Guerrilla yet. http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_8081_en.html Check out that video to get what I mean. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN game of the show awards were all complete garbage. Everything was out of place and unprofessionally set. 1UP's awards were far more agreeable then IGN's this year.

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By The_Icon

Killzone 2 looks great, but lets face it, its too much grey. Dont know whether it has something to do with the level they were showcasing. And Gears 2 is not all colorful either, but its not grey, its just unsaturated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Icon said:
    "Killzone 2 looks great, but lets face it, its too much grey. Dont know whether it has something to do with the level they were showcasing. And Gears 2 is not all colorful either, but its not grey, its just unsaturated.
    "

We have seen TWO levels so far, lmao. The second level in the game, and a level way later into the game. So how can you judge that its way to grey by two levels... Doesn't look gray to me honestly, only some parts of the level, looks as 'gray' as any other gritty shooter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Icon said:
    "Killzone 2 looks great, but lets face it, its too much grey. Dont know whether it has something to do with the level they were showcasing. And Gears 2 is not all colorful either, but its not grey, its just unsaturated.
    "
    Well.. Fallout 3 is winning awards left and right and that game makes killzone 2 look like a rainbow.  So I think this "grey" argument is pretty dumb, and also Sentry is right, we have seen two levels, out of 11-13.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Fallout is more... brownish grayish.

Avatar image for burningchimaera
    BurningChimaera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BurningChimaera

To the people that say the colour palette in Gears 2 is better than Killzone 2, yes, you're right, but that would count as better design and variety, not better graphics. Compare a dark, grey level of Gears 2 to  the levels of Killzone 2, and you have a better match.

And for the people that are saying that the detail is better in Gears 2, you have to remember that Killzone 2 is still in a pre-alpha version, like the demo at E3 said.
    I agree that Gears 2 is one of the most impressive games on consoles today, and wish I had a 360 for it, but in terms of graphics, Killzone 2 is much better, or at least, it will be when completed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it all comes down to it KZ2 just looks better, and thats fact.

SleazyCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SleazyCobra
    Let the websites think and act the way they want to. Will this e3 award stop you or anoy other gamer from buying Killzone 2 and immediately trade their PS3 for a 360 and buy Gears 2? Probably not
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By albaker

Fucking fanboys why does it matter!!!

carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By carzy

killzone 2, and gears 2 got nothing on crysis warhead come on here technically crysis has to win....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

carzy said:
    "killzone 2, and gears 2 got nothing on crysis warhead come on here technically crysis has to win....
    "

You're comparing PC to consoles, lmfao.

Crysis > Killzone 2 > Gears 2

Gears 2 has nothing on Crysis or KZ2, just watch the footage. It's beautiful but its really bland in terms of texture quality. KZ2 and Crysis? They are VERY close.

And this is a game 6 months away from release, lol.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    GoranP said:
    "Killzone 2 has an extremely bland color palette even in the world of colorless games that we live in today. Personally, I find many games more appealing than Killzone 2 in terms of visuals just because of the color scheme.
    "
    That's why I think Mario Galaxy will look better than Killzone 2 in about three or four years.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Killzone 2 looks bad, is far far less then the CGI prerender they showed in 2005 and is surpassed in every way by gears of war 2, heres a keyword you disagree with the assesment because you dont like it, not because its factually wrong...ect

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Cube

I personally feel Killzone 2 looks better than Gears.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Killzone 2 looks bad, is far far less then the CGI prerender they showed in 2005 and is surpassed in every way by gears of war 2, heres a keyword you disagree with the assesment because you dont like it, not because its factually wrong...ect"

Totally could not understand that post, lol.

But the KZ2 vs Gears 2 competition is pretty funny. It's fact that KZ2 has better graphics then Gears 2, this is no argument, honestly. Not to be a fanboy or anything... both loko beautiful, but KZ2 has it hands down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Killzone 2 looks bad, is far far less then the CGI prerender they showed in 2005 and is surpassed in every way by gears of war 2, heres a keyword you disagree with the assesment because you dont like it, not because its factually wrong...ect

"
    It's pretty damn close graphically to the CGI prerender... I am not too sure what you are talking about there... maybe it's because of the camera work that is throwing you off... But I think if you take 2 people off the street and have them play Killzone 2 for an hour and Gears 2 for an hour and I think you would see the VAST majority of people say that killzone 2 looks better.  If you listen to many of the mainstream podcast (like 1up) they will tell you that Killzone 2 is the best looking console game so far.  The problem with IGN is that aside from the playstation team there are some really ignorant people that don't know anything about other consoles except for the ones they work on... For example Dameon from Nintendo and Nate Ahern from xbox have no idea about anything that goes on on the PS3, if you don't believe me, listen to scoop/three red lights podcast.  These are the same people who are voting for these awards.  If you listen to 1up FM or 1up yours... almost all the people there know what they are talking about... So the above posters are right... it doesn't really matter what IGN picks, but it's because a lot of their staff knows less about consoles/video games then you or me.
    carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By carzy
    Sentry said:
    "carzy said:
    "killzone 2, and gears 2 got nothing on crysis warhead come on here technically crysis has to win....
    "

You're comparing PC to consoles, lmfao.

Crysis > Killzone 2 > Gears 2

Gears 2 has nothing on Crysis or KZ2, just watch the footage. It's beautiful but its really bland in terms of texture quality. KZ2 and Crysis? They are VERY close.

And this is a game 6 months away from release, lol.
    "
    umm ya its E3 everything is fare game, btw killzone is no ware near crysis on a 6 grand rig no ware near the same quality
    Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By Warihay

I think anyone taking IGN seriously should be shot. But anyway, I really think Gears 2 showed a lot better at E3. The color pallet is much more diverse than the greys and blacks found in Killzone. Gears 2 showed a sense of war going on around you and I saw nothing to make me think that of Killzone 2. Don't get me wrong, Killzone still looks awesome and it may even finally break me down and make me buy a PS3 but I still think Gears 2 looked better.

natsfan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By natsfan7

Both games look great....isn't that enough for you fanboyz? Can't you guys live in peace?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GhostlyKiller said:
    "I think anyone taking IGN seriously should be shot. But anyway, I really think Gears 2 showed a lot better at E3. The color pallet is much more diverse than the greys and blacks found in Killzone. Gears 2 showed a sense of war going on around you and I saw nothing to make me think that of Killzone 2. Don't get me wrong, Killzone still looks awesome and it may even finally break me down and make me buy a PS3 but I still think Gears 2 looked better.
    "
    Remember that we have only seen one level of KZ2 this year (08). :P

KZ2 MP is the main part of it though, IMO, SP and 4 player online co-op is just the side features, MP is the main thing.
    natsfan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By natsfan7
    Sentry said:
    "When it all comes down to it KZ2 just looks better, and thats fact.
    "

No sir, you are wrong! That is an opinion, and thats a fact!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.