Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

any Rockstar Games fans not sure about this ?

• 71 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

ive always loved GTA games and i was one of the most hyped up Giantbombers prior to Red Dead Redemption's release and bought it day one (or week one) and its my game of the decade.. i never doubt Rockstar Games, they're my all time favorite developer and publisher. 

however, when it comes to this game, A) its not developed by a R* studio, is it?  some studio called Team Bondi.. L.A. Noire is their first game or something.. wat ? and B) they're taking a new turn with this game. its not like any previous open world games, it relies heavily on finding clues and shit, and is supposed to be super serious like Mafia II, without any jumping out of planes or lassoing motherfuckers and dragging them around 

so as much as i hate to doubt R*, this game seems really different from their usual games we've grown to love, so anyone else feeling a bit skeptical ? i know i am.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

it relies heavily on finding clues and shit, and is supposed to be super serious     

Sign me up. 

Oh yeah, and it's got Cosgrove from Mad Men in it. Automagically good.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By X19

I'm bored out my mind at the GTA formula. They need LA Noire to stand out and be different imo.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CandleJakk
    @X19 said:
    " I'm bored out my mind at the GTA formula. They need LA Noire to stand out and be different imo. "
    This, basically. GTA IV was hugely disappointing, and RDR, whilst very good, wasn't as affecting as it should have been story-wise. I like it when developers take a gamble, even if it doesn't pay off long term. It shows some ingenuity & balls to take a fresh step. 
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By fjordson
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    "B) they're taking a new turn with this game. its not like any previous open world games, it relies heavily on finding clues and shit, and is supposed to be super serious like Mafia II, without any jumping out of planes or lassoing motherfuckers and dragging them around   so as much as i hate to doubt R*, this game seems really different from their usual games we've grown to love. "
    All of this is a massive positive, IMO. I love Rockstar games as well, but I'm super excited about this. I also keep hearing how it feels influenced by classic point-and-click adventure games. Another massive bonus.
    sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By sizu
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " ive always loved GTA games and i was one of the most hyped up Giantbombers prior to Red Dead Redemption's release and bought it day one (or week one) and its my game of the decade.. i never doubt Rockstar Games, they're my all time favorite developer and publisher.  however, when it comes to this game, A) its not developed by a R* studio, is it?  some studio called Team Bondi.. L.A. Noire is their first game or something.. wat ? and B) they're taking a new turn with this game. its not like any previous open world games, it relies heavily on finding clues and shit, and is supposed to be super serious like Mafia II, without any jumping out of planes or lassoing motherfuckers and dragging them around   so as much as i hate to doubt R*, this game seems really different from their usual games we've grown to love, so anyone else feeling a bit skeptical ? i know i am. "
    Well the fact that the team is called Team Bondi is nothing to worry about. 

Remember that when GTA3 shipped the team in Edinburgh  behind it were called DMA Studios before they were renamed to Rockstar North.  
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @CandleJakk said:
    " @X19 said:
    " I'm bored out my mind at the GTA formula. They need LA Noire to stand out and be different imo. "
    This, basically. GTA IV was hugely disappointing, and RDR, whilst very good, wasn't as affecting as it should have been story-wise. I like it when developers take a gamble, even if it doesn't pay off long term. It shows some ingenuity & balls to take a fresh step.  "
    it just so happens that millions of people disagree with the first part of your comment.. just saying :P
    Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By ShadowKnight508

I have full confidence that L.A. Noire will be a great and unique gaming experience compared to other RockStar games (GTAIV, RDR). I look forward to taking on crime and solving mysteries in different, creative ways in vintage 30's/40's-era L.A. when L.A. Noire arrives later this year. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By zityz

I'm looking forward to it. I never cared to try RDR and I probably never will. I'm not a fan of western settings mind you but I'll take peoples word for it when they say it's good. However this looks super interesting. I  love the setting just how I enjoyed the setting for GTA4.  

Here's hoping it will be good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The game seems like it could be really good, if you ask me. The thing I'm not sold on is the supposedly revolutionary facial animation technology they're using, but it's hard to really get a good look at things like that when all there is to see are a couple of trailers.  

Overall though, I'm pretty pumped for this game. 

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By _Phara0h_

I've been playing Fallout:NV and I never expected to like it this much and I can't wait for this to come out keeping in mind that shooting is not the greatest mechanic so I can't wait. Also coming of Red Dead I really like how rockstar is expanding their IP's so they don't have the rely solely on GTA.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vonocourt

So it's a adventure game dressed up as a open-world game, sounds perfectly fine for me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

Hell no, I'm not not sure about this game one bit. I think they learned their lesson on blandness with GTA4 (which was the most disappointing game I've EVER played).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

We haven't actually seen any of the gameplay, which is ominous. Its like when SE used to make trailers that were just cutscenes. At some point people find out what your game is, that trick doesn't really work anymore. You can sell this game like its LA Confidential but if its actually LA Confidential set in a contrived open world game with mediocre shooting and bad driving and that's actually 90% of the game, people will find out.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By butano

It might be a different studio developing it, but I did read that some of the R* members are working closely (i.e. on the team) on the game, so I have faith. Looking forward to this game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By EVO

If that recent video detailing the motion capture is anything to go by, it looks amazing.

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheDoubleJ

i'm a little bit unsure because it's the studios first game but other then that no
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By FreakAche

I don't really care about games made by Rockstar, but L. A. Noire has me intrigued, so they must be doing something right.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By X19
    @Ahmad_Metallic: People don't like change.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Red Dead Redemption felt way, way too much like a GTA4 mod. I think something different will be good.

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I'm super excited about the game but as others have said I need to see some gameplay before I commit to purchasing it.  I love the idea that it is so different and the facial animations are amazing.  However, I need to see how the facial animations play out when you are interviewing someone.  If it's really easy to tell if someone is lying that will ruin the experience.  Generally speaking Rockstar knows how to do driving and shooting, and when you combine that with the facial animation stuff from Team Bondi it would seem to be a winning combination.

Either way I'm really looking forward to it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @ryanwho said:
    " We haven't actually seen any of the gameplay, which is ominous. Its like when SE used to make trailers that were just cutscenes. At some point people find out what your game is, that trick doesn't really work anymore. You can sell this game like its LA Confidential but if its actually LA Confidential set in a contrived open world game with mediocre shooting and bad driving and that's actually 90% of the game, people will find out. "
    This was the same with all the GTA games and RDR.  We never see any actual gameplay footage until really close to release.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Undeadpool

As much as I loved both GTAIV and RDR, the formula's getting stale. Frankly, I'm sick of sociopaths using me as their errand boy and having my character just smile and nod as they send me into trap after trap and then act amazed when I survive. 
    Last time Rockstar took a big chance, we got GTA3. I can't wait.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dauragon

LA Noire is  basically the game I have always wanted to play. I've been 100% on board since the very beginning. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Malakhii
    @ryanwho said:
    " We haven't actually seen any of the gameplay, which is ominous. Its like when SE used to make trailers that were just cutscenes. At some point people find out what your game is, that trick doesn't really work anymore. You can sell this game like its LA Confidential but if its actually LA Confidential set in a contrived open world game with mediocre shooting and bad driving and that's actually 90% of the game, people will find out. "
    There is no gameplay out yet because that's how Rockstar markets, things will trickle out leading to release in order to build up the hype (in fact There is a new trailer out today). There are also previews available on the web. Rockstar tends to choose projects that succeed in the end, hell their ping pong game was pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to it.  
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

If this is a linear story with the same clues and conclusions every time, it seems pretty obvious why they wouldn't show gameplay yet. I seriously hope it's not so static though. Anyway, we didn't see any gameplay from GTA4 until it was time to release it. RDR was a real exception with all the public showings and narrated feature videos.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Animasta

I'm excited after being hella bored with both GTAIV and RDR, so I dunno.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jmfinamore
    @Dauragon: That's exactly how I feel. I've wanted this type of game for so long, hopefully it works out. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @Dauragon said:
    " LA Noire is  basically the game I have always wanted to play. I've been 100% on board since the very beginning.  "
    But how does it actually play?
    SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

I'm cautiously optimistic. The facial animation, graphics, and story all have me very excited for LA Noire, but I would like to see some gameplay before I make up my mind completely on the game. I love Rockstar, though; GTAIV and RDR are two of my favorite games from this generation. As long as LA Noire continues this trend, I'll be happy.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cornman89

I've been very impressed with Rockstar's evolution throughout the years as storytellers. I am interested in LA Noire, but there's still a lot we don't know. Like, how it plays.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By fillmoejoe

I really don't want this to be GTA IV in the 40s. If anything I expect it to be like The Getaway, a very linear game with chapters and an objective as opposed to character placed mission triggers.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DelroyLindo

jeff is lame

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was a little iffy on it for a long time but now I'm ready for it.   
    I think a Team Bondi working with the help of the experts at Rockstar has the potential to deliver something awesome.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jkz
    @Undeadpool said:
    " As much as I loved both GTAIV and RDR, the formula's getting stale. Frankly, I'm sick of sociopaths using me as their errand boy and having my character just smile and nod as they send me into trap after trap and then act amazed when I survive. Last time Rockstar took a big chance, we got GTA3. I can't wait. "
    This.
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

i still havent looked into this so im not sure

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Agent47
    @zityz: How could you not like Western settings?Cowboys, show downs, bar fights, revolutions, all sorts of crazy shit.Who are you Jeff Gerstmann?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm glad they're trying something new. Though, I thought this one was actually being made by Rockstar. I was certain it would be phenomenal, but now the fact alone puts a little bit of doubt in my mind. Not much, though. I still think it looks like a must-have.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clinkz

Whoah, Red Dead was your game of the decade? Granted it was way better than GTA 4, it is no where near game of the decade. Its probably not even my game of the year. 

Also, yes I am bored of the GTA style-- I've been beginning to hate sandbox games.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By dtat

I might be crazy, but this game isn't actually being developed by Rockstar, yes? I think it's safe to assume we have a different beast on our hands here. I am hesitant to render judgement on it until I've actually seen some gameplay. But the setting an the tone look absolutely incredible! Seems like what Heavy Rain was going for.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Dtat said:
    "  I might be crazy, but this game isn't actually being developed by Rockstar, yes? I think it's safe to assume we have a different beast on our hands here. "
    It is, just as much as RDR was. It's not a Rockstar North game, but it IS a Rockstar Games game. Just because Rockstar hasn't renamed the Team Bondi to Rockstar Sydney yet doesn't mean it's not a Rockstar game. I mean Rockstar San Diego (the main RDR studio) used to be called Angel studios, and Rockstar Leeds used to be Mobius Entertainment, etc... just like half of the studios that now carry the Rockstar [location] name scheme.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Skytylz
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I liked the GTA games and Rockstar games, but after using basically the same formula for five games now, I'm tired of it.  If this is something new I'll pick it up, but if it's more GTA no thank you.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

It makes sense to spread these games out across the Crazy Sandbox / Serious Open World spectrum rather than keep hammering the same spot.  Saints Row currently has the Crazy end, GTA (and now RDR) currently have a lock on the center, Mafia 2 aimed at the Serious end but didn't do very well.  I figure the Serious slot is still the most open.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Dtat said:
    "  I might be crazy, but this game isn't actually being developed by Rockstar, yes? I think it's safe to assume we have a different beast on our hands here. "
    It is, just as much as RDR was. It's not a Rockstar North game, but it IS a Rockstar Games game. Just because Rockstar hasn't renamed the Team Bondi to Rockstar Sydney yet doesn't mean it's not a Rockstar game. I mean Rockstar San Diego (the main RDR studio) used to be called Angel studios, and Rockstar Leeds used to be Mobius Entertainment, etc... just like half of the studios that now carry the Rockstar [location] name scheme. "
    But its new people. You seem to want to give Rockstar the entity sole credit when we're looking at a game being done by a new crop of people. Its goofy. Don't be goofy. Rockstar is assisting Bondi, the developer. Like Nintendo assisting Team Ninja. Team Ninja didn't become Nintendo. Learn how contracts work.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By fox01313

After Rockstar put out that ping pong game I've been of the wait until I play it to figure out crowd & reserve expectations until then. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60
    @ryanwho said:
    Rockstar very rarely releases gameplay footage of any of their games.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By flaminghobo

I didn't like Grand Theft Auto IV and, whilst I thought that Red Dead Redemption was an improvement on the GTA formula, I believe that Rockstar needs to try something different now and L.A. Noire seems just like that 'different' that they need.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jrodrz

I love Rockstar's games, even if they get repetitive, and I'm thrilled to see if they can do as well in a different genre

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By wwfundertaker

I have complete faith in Rockstar and always will. Whens the last time they released a bad game (no ports).

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts
    @OneAndOnlyBigE:   I'm definitely looking forward to this game but yeah I agree about the facial animation stuff.  If they go overboard with the lying and make it so obvious to the point that it starts to feel gamey I may lose interest pretty quick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.