Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Layers of Fear

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2016

A psychological horror game from Bloober Team, showing a painter's descent into madness as he explores a Victorian-era mansion.

Has anyone played this?

Shmellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shmellow

This seems to be getting some buzz on steam, and I'm looking for a new horror game to play this Halloween season. It's in early access though, and I wonder if it would be better to wait until the game is fully released to play it. Is there anyone out there that would recommend this game? What other horror games is it most comparable to?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@handlas said:

I just played through Layers of Fear. Does some pretty neat things. Seems heavily influenced by PT though.... kind of rips off some of its scare techniques a bit much tbh. But it was one of the better recent "horror" games I've played and its really pretty. Only downside is its Early Access and you go through a door to see a message: "Thanks for playing, we are adding more later" or something like that in a pretty random spot.

Seems more PT than Allison Road does tbh yet Allison Road seems to be getting more attention for that.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shmellow: It's comparable to P.T. I'd say. I watched a streamer named Rockleesmile play through what's there and I enjoyed it quite a bit. He's very critical of horror games but he seemed to enjoy it a lot. I was expecting jump scares but it's very much a psychological horror. For an early access game it's VERY polished already and is amazing to look at if you can run it.

Just a warning though, the game itself stops very abruptly at a certain point with the screen going black and a "Thank you for playing the early access version, sorry there's not more right now" type of message comes up.

The story is interesting as well and pretty much everyone who was watching the stream and the streamer himself were sad we couldn't see more.

So yeah! I'd probably recommend it if you want something interesting mind I didn't actually play it haha.

Shmellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangestories: I completely understand preferring to watch a play-through of it! The abrupt fade to black is unfortunate, but I've decided to go ahead and play it anyway since the full game won't be completed before October 31st. I'm excited to play another game that's aesthetically on the same level as P.T. - I thought the visuals in that game were fantastic. In particular I enjoyed the psychedelic horror aspect of P.T., and I'm wondering if this will game will be taking the player into that realm. I'll be back to post my thoughts of the game!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As Hypno quoted me from the Horror games October thread and to reiterate what Strangestories said...

Game seems great. Wait for it to be finished. Though I think my playtime was about 2 hours and they were already recycling the tricks a bit too many times. Think about 2 hours would of been a good length for it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, its finished. Annoyingly I'm stuck where the early access left off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.