Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

How I was finally able to get into the MOBA scene.

akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By akzo

I would recommend LOL’s Dominion Mode for anyone wanting to get into the MOBA genre. Start out with some coop cames against easy bots and then move directly into normal PVP.

It's faster paced, not as many esoteric details you need to know, and not nearly as much rage compared to the traditional Map. There are still a good number of Jerks, but it's usually fairly cordial. Even in random pick.

As you play you will level your character, pick up tips and tricks, and get familiar with the items, abilities, Metagame and Champions.

I tried getting into the MOBA scene several times, both with LOL and Dota 2 butt the environment was just too nasty. It wasn’t fun. Since I started playing Dominion, I'm hooked. I’ve actually had no desire to go back to the standard mode.

Also, if there is a jerk in your match it's very easy to ignore and report them. RIOT does it's best to weed out the players making it tough on the rest of us.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dominion is a lot more newbie friendly, though this can also be attributed to the fact that a lot of people on the higher levels (and thus their smurf accounts) straight up ignore it, myself included. It's fine for what it is, but the strategic balance of the basic game (i.e. learning how to farm minions, knowing when to push and when to pull back, properly warding everywhere) is just a lot more compelling for me at this point. Also, like half the champions I use aren't very good on it.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By NicksCorner

Thanks for the tip, Ive downloaded the LoL client twise, but never really got into it.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By myslead

don't try Dominion first if you wanna get a handle of this games

nothing in Dominion really reflects the mechanics of the Ranked.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Jaktajj

Dominion is an awesome way to learn the in's and outs of a champion. You'll find yourself in so many different situations and teamfights far more frequently and it matters less if you make a mistake. Use it to learn a champion so you can play them effectively in SR.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ulain

Agreed. I find dominion to be a great stress reliever compared to the usual SR map where people either troll or just have no idea what they're doing (free week champs and everything). Dominion definitely lets you test out more ideas simply because the objective of capture the flag doesn't require the items so much.

Still, I usually find Summoner's Rift more fun because I like a more diverse environment and impact; teamfights are not nearly as important in Dom which is why I play :P

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Cathadan

@myslead said:

don't try Dominion first if you wanna get a handle of this games

nothing in Dominion really reflects the mechanics of the Ranked.

Sure they're two different things, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't play Dominion. For someone new, it's important to find immediate fun in the game. If you have no idea what's going on in SR then you probably don't have a good reason to keep playing it long enough to actually learn what you need to know.

TACOBOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TACOBOY

i played sr and leaened the game fine,i feel like people that play dom or co-op dont get the expiriance they need and being lv 30 means nothing now since all these 100 wins lv 30 started to show up,im not saying im really good or anything but before all this it used to mean something if you were 30,i mean sure you would get the occasional tt player but even that is a better option then dom,after all sr is the definitive map and game mode that makes the genre and all other maps are just mere distractions in the end.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ulain

@TACOBOY said:

i played sr and leaened the game fine,i feel like people that play dom or co-op dont get the expiriance they need and being lv 30 means nothing now since all these 100 wins lv 30 started to show up,im not saying im really good or anything but before all this it used to mean something if you were 30,i mean sure you would get the occasional tt player but even that is a better option then dom,after all sr is the definitive map and game mode that makes the genre and all other maps are just mere distractions in the end.

If Bot games didn't give experience, I can only imagine there being MUCH less of these trash players and trolls. Hell, I'd almost say losses shouldn't either. Realistically, you shouldn't be rewarded for losing. Can't tell you how many kids I've played with that are terrible, don't listen to advice because "they're just haviing fun". It sickens me.

/rant off

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

@Ulain said:

@TACOBOY said:

If Bot games didn't give experience, I can only imagine there being MUCH less of these trash players and trolls. Hell, I'd almost say losses shouldn't either. Realistically, you shouldn't be rewarded for losing. Can't tell you how many kids I've played with that are terrible, don't listen to advice because "they're just haviing fun". It sickens me.

/rant off

You obviously play Mordekaiser.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ulain

@jakob187 said:

@Ulain said:

@TACOBOY said:

/rant off

You obviously play Mordekaiser.

I don't, actually :P why would you say that?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Deusx

I´d say go play Dota 2. That´s a good MOBA. Sadly, it is harder than LoL so no luck there.

As they say: "LoL has a learning curve, Dota 2 has a learning cliff."

Euphorio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Euphorio

Yeah No dont go play Dota 2...ive played a TON of LoL, and thats where the public is....Dota 2 is still so intensely niche that even with all of my LoL experience, Dota 2 overwhelms me....its just Dota1 with its own skin, so people who know it can play well...but if you dont, it'll easily overwhelm you with all of the mechanics and items and things to learn....stick with lol....most of the world of MOBA is there

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SilverGalford

i have never played Dominion

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.