Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

I Say "LOL eSports" and You Say "LOL, eSports"

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

(This entry was originally posted at http://www.player1diary.net/2013/02/02/i-say-lol-esports-and-you-say-lol-esports/)

Yesterday was my 32nd birthday. Surprisingly (and totally un-coincidentally), it was also the start of the third season of League of Legends play. This intrigues me not just because it’s now the most popular game on the planet (according to Riot Games, of course), but because I think I may actually have a shot at marginal success should I decide to play long term, unlike in similar “multiplayer online battle arena” games such as DOTA 2 and Heroes of Newerth. However, in order to compete in high-level “league” play, you have to max out your summoner level at 30. I’m still only at level 10, because I’ve only played about two or three-dozen games in two years, before I even understood that competitive LOL play even existed. Of course, it’s rather hard to ignore such a phenomenon when Riot has a website dedicated solely to its eSports league play.

With 20 levels to go before I become eligible for ranked play, I think I’m going to need to win about 100 games across all game modes (5v5, 3v3 and Dominion, although the “official” ranked games will probably only be 5v5). My first game of the season was a loss. I had a bit of trouble playing as Malzahar at first, because Call of the Void, his basic ranged attack activates after a delay. It’s surprisingly good for blasting away at minions, because they’re the only ones who’ll stand still long enough for you to hit them with it. For everyone else, Null Zone and Malefic Visions work better. I finished off the game with 11 kills, 2 assists, and 12 deaths, which is a lot better than I’ve done in previous sessions. Two other players actually granted me a “Worthy Opponent” honor, so at least that’s something.

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

(This entry was originally posted at http://www.player1diary.net/2013/02/02/i-say-lol-esports-and-you-say-lol-esports/)

Yesterday was my 32nd birthday. Surprisingly (and totally un-coincidentally), it was also the start of the third season of League of Legends play. This intrigues me not just because it’s now the most popular game on the planet (according to Riot Games, of course), but because I think I may actually have a shot at marginal success should I decide to play long term, unlike in similar “multiplayer online battle arena” games such as DOTA 2 and Heroes of Newerth. However, in order to compete in high-level “league” play, you have to max out your summoner level at 30. I’m still only at level 10, because I’ve only played about two or three-dozen games in two years, before I even understood that competitive LOL play even existed. Of course, it’s rather hard to ignore such a phenomenon when Riot has a website dedicated solely to its eSports league play.

With 20 levels to go before I become eligible for ranked play, I think I’m going to need to win about 100 games across all game modes (5v5, 3v3 and Dominion, although the “official” ranked games will probably only be 5v5). My first game of the season was a loss. I had a bit of trouble playing as Malzahar at first, because Call of the Void, his basic ranged attack activates after a delay. It’s surprisingly good for blasting away at minions, because they’re the only ones who’ll stand still long enough for you to hit them with it. For everyone else, Null Zone and Malefic Visions work better. I finished off the game with 11 kills, 2 assists, and 12 deaths, which is a lot better than I’ve done in previous sessions. Two other players actually granted me a “Worthy Opponent” honor, so at least that’s something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.