Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

What is the deal with League of League of Legends?

• 54 results
    jhudson3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jhudson3

After coming to college, I have been exposed to all sorts of different people. It ranges from sorority girls to football crazy fans but I stick to the gamers more than any group. At the start of this year my roommate started playing this game called League of League of Legends. Now, I lived in a very small town so multiplayer gaming was very limited due to the only high speed internet being satellite but I knew there were gamers out there that would rage and scream at people on Xbox Live. I have noticed my roommate just completely changes attitudes when he is playing this game to being one of "those guys". I mean, I understand being competitive in games but my idea of having fun is not screaming at teammates or other people. The game looks like it would be fun but the community just doesn't seem that great. To me, multiplayer is not only built upon gameplay but also the community that participates. Anyways, that's the end of my rant. I honestly just don't get it why people play games when they seem like they are roidraging while playing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Yeah, don't come to games like HoN, LoL or Dota for the shitforbrains communities that's for sure. 

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

What is the deal with airplane food?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

People complain about Halo and COD players, but holy fuck i tried to play a couple games of LOL and they just wouldn't let me. You're not allowed to learn how to play LOL, HON or DOTA apparently, unless you're a master of the game before even touching the game don't play it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By zero_

League of Legends, and all the DOTA variants including DOTA, HoN and DOTA2 are games where I can fully say good teamwork is absolutely paramount. Matches are super, super fun when everything works together but absolutely annoying when team work and communication breaks down (or you're playing with new people, but even that is fine). People deal with it differently, I get pissed when I get teamed up with new players or people who don't know what they're doing, but I don't fucking call them out. Besides, DOTA is best played with your friends where your teamwork is a little bit more precise.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

This can happen in any game, but stuff like LoL and WoW are great example of them.

People feel like they always want the best group, always win, and if you do not live up to their high standards or do whatever it is they disapprove of they go mental and ruin the game for you.

I'm glad there's AI to play against in any case.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Addfwyn

The MOBA genre is often known for being bad with community. Having played a lot of them, the LoL community is golden compared to say...the original dota (good luck trying to pick that one up). I see people being a bit more supportive in LoL than some of the others, but there are gonna be jerks still. The learning curves typically are pretty steep, as you really need to know what every hero/champion is capable of, and the different items, before you can become truly competitive. The reason for the rage is because these games HINGE on cooperation, and it can be very frustrating to lose a game when you didn't do anything wrong. A couple bad players on your team can drag the whole team down, even if everyone else is playing well. It gets very frustrating and players will lash out, just because they can't do anything else.

You're best bet at getting into these would probably be playing with friends that can help you out and play games with you. Playing with a group of friends just makes it a lot more enjoyable, and they can help explain things to you. "Oh, you're landing against Vladimir? Okay, here are the moves he has and what you need to watch out for".

Gavinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Gavinn

With so many people making Smurf accounts the people who are genuinely new to the game are being matched together with the trolls. These people are the scum of the community and are just aiming for the fastest and cleanest win sheet to achieve high ELO or matches won on normal games. Thus being super aggressive to the smallest mistake or lack of knowledge from an individual. The other set of smurfs are just out to be nasty and troll the current match, I urge you to only play with friends and ignore all chat. Once you reach level 30 then you can start contributing to the tribunal. Please make sure you report the people who deserve it and give a clear description as to why you are reporting the specific player.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spartanlolz92

the learning curve is pretty bad, it is a teamgame if you have bad teamates you are gonna lose repeatedly, and the fact that the matches can be 50 minutes of you just getting your butt handed to you.

it really is a great game just make sure you play with people who are patient and can accept losing, and alos be open minded if you 're doing horrible dont be afraid to ask for tips

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By veiasma

My roommate does the same thing. You haven't seen real rage until someone trolls a ranked match.

MOBAs have the highest of highs when you win, and the lowest of lows when you lose. Unlike other team based games, this one can be completely swung by ONE teammate or enemy. Also unlike other team based games, matches last anywhere from 20 - 70 minutes and you cannot leave without getting penalized at an account level. So basically, if you get a new player (or a troll) who is having a bad game, it can completely waste an hour or more of your time.

I understand why the community is so rage-tastic, and that's why I don't play it anymore.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai

ITT people bad at video games.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Robot_Moses

It's a combination of a few things. Most MOBA/DOTA style games like League demand very, very precise play. If you're up against decent opponents, a single mistake can set your team back significantly- or even cost you the entire game. As you can probably imagine, it can be extremely frustrating to lose a game due to things you can't control. This is exacerbated by the length of League matches and by the amount of farming NPC 'minions' required to get the items your character needs. There's the standard videogame community gripes too. Certain characters/items/tactics are seen as overpowered, broken, or cheap to use. Then there's the fact that League of Legends is free to play with no restrictions on the number of accounts any person can have. Add to all this the likely scenario in which you are probably playing with 4 strangers protected by internet anonymity, and you have the potential for a perfect storm of vulgarity, rage, and impotent internet threats.

It can be an ugly, ugly mess. But having a team that clicks and goes on to pull off a win in a rough League match is an absolutely wonderful experience. My advice- play with friends!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's incredibly fun, but I only say that with the caveat that I got a lot of guys in my dorm play it too and thus almost always have someone to play it with. Playing with random teammates is an exercise in frustration a lot of the time, which is why I play with the idiots I know rather than the ones I don't. Other than that, the game has a pretty steep learning curve and if you want to get anywhere you have to master some basic techniques like learning how to get the last hit on minions or remembering to buy vision wards.

The community itself is tame compared to that of DotA Allstars, but there are so many smurf accounts at lower levels that I would imagine a new player would have trouble figuring everything out without being destroyed by people who aren't good enough to play ranked. But yeah, it's also a game where one person screwing up can lead to you losing the game and thus tempers can occasionally surface.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By artgarcrunkle

It's tough to reign that stuff in if you're a competitive person.

Also here's a short list of things frustrating about that game: Impossible to even have fun with bad teammates, f2p communities are terrible, your teammates are almost always bad in solo queue, you can't turn around a bad game with bad teammates but they'll almost always refuse to surrender, if you're getting stomped in solo queue the other team is probably clueless and randomed out a win with better champion selection so they'll waste tons of time doing asinine shit instead of ending the game, a lot of 4chan and reddit people play that game and spam ancient memes, you can't leave a game without potentially being punished, no one plays their class, the learning curve isn't as high as everyone says it is so there's no reason for people who often have played hundreds and maybe thousands of games to be as bad as they are etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't like League of Legends, but I fucking love League of League of Legends.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Sanryd

League of Legends was a special game for me. I quit playing it ~3 weeks ago after playing it for 2 years. It makes people act much differently than they typically would, myself included. I got pretty deep into it, started playing for a team and played in some tournaments.

My philosophy while playing it was always that unless you directly criticized me, I wouldn't say anything about what you were doing wrong. I did have some moments while playing with friends, though, where I wouldn't get angry at them for playing poorly, but one incident stands out to me in particular where my friends were blaming the loss on things that made it sound like it was out of their control and I had to say something about how poorly they played. I normally wouldn't, but don't ever blame it on other shit when you clearly are at fault. That bugs me more than anything (blaming other things instead of admitting you fucked up is a huge problem among the members of the LoL community)

Basically it boils down to everyone in the community thinking they are better than they are (even I was guilty of this until I got good), and the vast majority not being able to admit their mistakes.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Sanryd: Everybody knows why nobody is willing to admit their mistakes when they play League of Legends 

Because terrible things will happen to the game! 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Binman88

@artgarcrunkle said:

It's tough to reign that stuff in if you're a competitive person.

There's a difference between being competitive and being a prick though. If a game is frustrating you to the point of shouting at other people, you should probably stop playing. I'm with the OP: multiplayer gaming is as much about the fun of competing as it is about the community you're playing with.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSully

@ZeForgotten: When I was first starting I would make sure to tell people I was new before the game started. Most of the time when people didn't leave after me saying this I would get some really friendly people offering advice and telling me to lane with them. I find admitting when you fuck up leads to a similar situation. If you just admit you screwed up and actually try to prevent doing it again, your teammates are less hostile/helpful. There will always be those assholes who will still give you shit for it, but that's part of online gaming.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten
    @SSully: I did the same thing but still ended up with a bunch of fuckwits. 
    Then when you say "Then teach me oh grand master of League of Legends" they couldn't even do that because when they finally tried to bless me with their teachings the rest of the guys in the match were like "What the fuck, that's retarded. That's not good advice" then you get them to turn on each other and you just laugh.  

If any of those people were actually worth looking at when it comes to their "superior skills" then why the fuck are they playing for absolutely nothing. 
    If anyone one those people were even half as good as they think they are they would probably be part of a real team and playing for some serious amount of money yet nobody came to them and offered them a spot on their "pro teams" 
    Wonder why that is. 
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSully

@ZeForgotten: Oh I cannot begin to express my disdain for those kinds of players. The worst part about it is the community is FILLED with these kinds of people.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dfsvegas

@zombie2011: Call them out. Rarely if you tell them to shut the fuck up do they bother continuing their bullshit.

I just started playing LoL, my first MOBA, this past week. If I get shit, I just tell them to kindly fuck off, and remind them that everybody isn't the savant they claim to be.

Especially in games against Beginner bots. That's the point of that mode, to have a place to learn. If people get out of line, don't take that shit.

Just be honest. If you acknowledge that you're not very good, they don't have much to say. It's the 8 Mile corollary.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#24  Edited By Kidavenger

@DFSVegas: People were giving you crap in a bot match? That's insane, this game has changed a lot since I stopped playing.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dfsvegas

@Kidavenger: Oh yeah. If not me, then somebody who's even more green than me. I haven't had a single game that didn't have at least one person calling the worst player on the team a "retard" for not doing what ever they think they should be doing.

Instead of giving some advice, they'd rather dehumanize them. The LoL community is filled with horrible human beings. Great game, horrific community.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BonOrbitz

This isn't the first time I've heard that League of Legend players are ubercompetitive assholes. I won't be touching that game anytime soon.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chrissedoff

People try to rationalize moba communities' bad behavior, but I don't actually think there is anything fundamental to moba games which causes people to be jerks. The truth is that the community, going all the way back to DOTA, has developed this culture of impatience, rudeness and elitism that got out of hand and drove away a lot of the good people and taught everyone who was left that this was an acceptable way to treat fellow players. And it's carried on to this day, though it's been mitigated somewhat by the fact that mobas are now big business, and the companies who profit from them have an incentive to make their communities more hospitable to potential new customers.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheKramer89
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Whats the deal with airplane food.  

Also its not just LoL Dota is real bad as well. Hon as well 

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tomkang

Dota and subsequently HoN and LoL are based on player skill. It is a team game that takes around 20-60 minutes per match and one single person can ruin that match for you. That is why people rage a lot. In CoD, Halo etc. you can carry a team to victory. In Dota you rely on your team for information so that you don't die. Dota and HoN are worse than LoL mainly because if you die, not only do you give the enemy gold, but you lose your own gold, which handicaps you very quickly.

I played 10 man DOTA LAN matches with 9 of my friends in China. These were some of my best friends and we would all turn into elitest and rage at eachother.

Worst thing in those games in to never admit you are wrong.

If you think playing in Europe or US is bad, try playing Dota and SCII in Asia. They would eat 90% of all western players.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By benderunit22

Fact of the matter is, in MOBA games you absolutely need teamwork to win. They aren't first-person shooters where you might just headshot your team to a narrow victory, even if you play well, get a lot of kills and easily destroy any one champ 1v1 or even 1v2. And when the team doesn't do exactly what you want them to, be it due to a lack of communication, experience or a shared hive-mind, it can end up costing you your early lead and sometimes the game.

Also, and this is an exception, but you sometimes have players who clearly have no idea what they're doing and still won't listen to the entire team's advice. I had an Ashe recently who build Last Whisper first, then a Banshee's Veil, who went for base turrets while we agreed to retreat and who tried to solo baron at level 16 with garbage items.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@zombie2011 said:

People complain about Halo and COD players, but holy fuck i tried to play a couple games of LOL and they just wouldn't let me. You're not allowed to learn how to play LOL, HON or DOTA apparently, unless you're a master of the game before even touching the game don't play it.

Agreed. People love to fall back on the "no one wants to play a 40 minute long match and then lose" excuse which I agree with btw, but just because you don't like losing doesn't give you the right to drop all decency and act like a fucking lunatic. I mean seriously, the amount in which some people lose their shit is just too much. I'll be the first to admit I fuck up a ton when playing DOTA2, but even when I'm not the one getting chewed out, I have no desire to sit there and play anymore.

Remember the whole fighting game 'fiasco' bullshit thing that happened a month or so ago? Yeah, I don't think anything they ever do will ever make that community seem as shitty as trying to sit down a learn how to play a moba and putting up with those people.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are quite a few very vocal people playing MOBAs - Especially League of Legends have apparently attracted a lot of people taking the game too seriously.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Snipzor

Man, I'm just gonna start off this post by saying I can be an absolute prick while playing League of Legends. And I am really sorry when I am. But I forgive myself because I am mostly a darling when I play. You meet some serious bastards when you play, but you tend to not play with them. Seriously folks, don't solo queue. Where was I going with that?

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Klaimore

Everyone that plays is MLG.

TACOBOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TACOBOY

let me put it this way,playing an action rts game is like playing chess with four other people,just imagine the frustration that would come from that,its not like a fps game where you doing well can win the match for you, in most cases one bad player can lose you the game.

i try not to call out other players ingame but i do rage alot and if someone wants to blame others for their poor performance which happens too often as most think if they say how shitty one or all of their teammates are in all chat then there not the newb,it gets hard for me not to respond.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SharkEthic

In CoD and the likes, games take 4 minutes and most people don't give a fuck if their team wins or looses, as long as they themselves post a 44-0 score. LOL has ramped the aggression to extremes, mainly because games taking around 30 minutes a piece can be lost by simply having one player on a team, that's not up to par with his/hers teammates. It still sucks though, and I'd like to believe that those assholes will be the downfall of those games...but regardless, LOL is THE number one watched game on the web, destroying SC2 in viewerships.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By myslead

@TACOBOY said:

let me put it this way,playing an action rts game is like playing chess with four other people,just imagine the frustration that would come from that,its not like a fps game where you doing well can win the match for you, in most cases one bad player can lose you the game.

so much truth right there

the fact of the matter is, you are as strong as a team as the weakest link in the team, that is, if you play with people within your skill range.

it's a harsh community, but see it that way, it's tough love. if people rage at you, it's normally because you're doing something wrong. trial by fire at its best.

The biggest problem of this community though, is that everyone thinks they're better than everyone, but until you realize that you need to win as a team, you will be stuck at low elo forever. I was roaming 1000-1250 season one and I thought I deserved better. I am currently Gold at 1500-1600 and I look back at my season one self and just facepalm at my stupidity. I didn't deserve better, I was at that ELO because of my own doing. I was at that shitty ELO because I sucked plain and simple. but that's a concept you get to learn by playing tons of games and climbing up the ladder. You win games by making the right calls, the right plays at the right times etc... and most of the time, to win, you need to be that guy that leads your team to do those calls and plays.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GunslingerPanda

...We don't play MOBAs any more...

Excuse me, I need to go cry in the shower.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By scarace360

Main thing you should get is that play any moba with friends that are not complete assholes when playing mobas.

Mr_Box

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mr_Box

As other people has already said, it is probably one of most rewarding games I have ever played when you win, and also the most frustrating rage inducing shit when you don't. Also, another big problem is that, you can't just casually play it if you want to actually win and it's not one of those games you can just pick up and play either.

As far as the community goes, I just say "what community?". Make one mistake? Sarcasm and trolling. Didn't do what ONE guy thought was a smart move? Sarcasm and trolling. Pick a champion/role someone else wanted? Yeah, sort of like that. Thank god for the mute button.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ulain

@Mr_Box said:

As other people has already said, it is probably one of most rewarding games I have ever played when you win, and also the most frustrating rage inducing shit when you don't. Also, another big problem is that, you can't just casually play it if you want to actually win and it's not one of those games you can just pick up and play either.

As far as the community goes, I just say "what community?". Make one mistake? Sarcasm and trolling. Didn't do what ONE guy thought was a smart move? Sarcasm and trolling. Pick a champion/role someone else wanted? Yeah, sort of like that. Thank god for the mute button.

I've had people dodge queue because I champ-selected before, and even worse, some of them stayed and of course trolled.

The other thorn in my personal side is non-English speakers. Usually 2 Brazillians who insist on going bot with 2 AD carries or something and don't communicate with anyone else on the team.

The reason for both these problems, in my opinion, is because it's a free, fairly popular game. There's a great discrepancy between "serious" (read: raging douchebag in most cases) players and the ones playing and not giving a crap if they win or lose.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By udabenshen

I find that playing 3v3 cuts down on the dickishness of team mates. Also, play with friends. I'm udabenshen on there. It's fun when you are in there with a good group.

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kill

@Brodehouse said:

I don't like League of Legends, but I fucking love League of League of Legends.
    SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SilverGalford

it's ok to lose as long as your gaming is good , but when you lose ALL THE TIME because of noobs, leavers or trolls , that's so annoying.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SilverGalford

@BenderUnit22 said:

Fact of the matter is, in MOBA games you absolutely need teamwork to win. They aren't first-person shooters where you might just headshot your team to a narrow victory, even if you play well, get a lot of kills and easily destroy any one champ 1v1 or even 1v2. And when the team doesn't do exactly what you want them to, be it due to a lack of communication, experience or a shared hive-mind, it can end up costing you your early lead and sometimes the game.

Also, and this is an exception, but you sometimes have players who clearly have no idea what they're doing and still won't listen to the entire team's advice. I had an Ashe recently who build Last Whisper first, then a Banshee's Veil, who went for base turrets while we agreed to retreat and who tried to solo baron at level 16 with garbage items.

and this is the problem , some players believe just because you have many kills you are pro and an excellent player.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By jakob187

@spartanlolz92 said:

the fact that the matches can be 50 minutes of you just getting your butt handed to you.

The matches can be 15 or 20 minutes depending on the map you are playing on by your team surrendering and getting out of the match. The problem is that people want to troll or believe that they can hyper-carry a team to victory.

As for what the OP is saying, I understand where YOU are coming from. Now try to understand where the COMMUNITY is coming from:

We play a game that relies on how competitive it can be, how much strategy can be employed to get closer to a win, and knowing everything we can about the game to accomplish that goal. In general, when you put someone who does not know much about the game at all into that kind of situation, you can guarantee that mankind's incapability for patience and understanding will mean much. Granted, it's not like wins and losses matter in a normal match. It's ranked where that stuff becomes infuriating in ways you cannot imagine.

Nonetheless, part of it is not the community's fault, but rather it is Riot's fault. They have front-loaded the matchmaking with "hey, jump into a match" rather than offering some form of comprehensive tutorial system that allows people to learn the terminology, the lanes, the types of champs, the strategies, what jungle is, etc etc. Sure, they created Coop vs AI as a way to offset that and give people a place to try out new things. However, the AI in that is easy to manipulate, so you don't actually learn anything. Moreover, the people alongside you are more than likely just looking to grind out some IP in a quick fashion and get out.

There is actually a part of the community that would love for Riot to put some form of "master class" system into the game that would pit five sub-30 characters or five people wanting to learn more against five level 30, knowledgable players in a match that would offer ways to show them what they are doing wrong, how to fix it, and offer rewards to the players that are participating. Something with a review system in place to make sure it's not being abused, and where kills/deaths don't matter, lane pushes don't matter, wins/losses don't matter. Something where people can teach others how to play and offer a different view of the community. We really DO want to help people, but there's just no way to do that.

Moreover, there's also the issue of language barrier. The NA servers support not just America, but also Mexico and further south. Therefore, you will always get the cases where people just don't speak your language and it makes it difficult to communicate.

Luckily, things are getting better. A lot of progress has been made this year in trying to alleviate some of these problems, to the point that they have been delaying patches (for almost a month in some cases, given their original bi-weekly patching), and the patches have been more than just new champs being released.

Unfortunately, when you give ANYONE on the internet a way to anger people, there are going to be a portion of those people (sometimes a large portion) that will abuse it in whatever way they want. I am not one of those players. I have never fed, never left a game, and never acted like a dick when I didn't need to (i.e. someone decides to talk shit to me, so I talk shit right back).

So yeah... I can understand why you think the community is bad. However, I would take them over the racist pigs on Call of Duty any day.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By jakob187

@CountYourBlessings said:

With so many people making Smurf accounts the people who are genuinely new to the game are being matched together with the trolls. These people are the scum of the community and are just aiming for the fastest and cleanest win sheet to achieve high ELO or matches won on normal games. Thus being super aggressive to the smallest mistake or lack of knowledge from an individual. The other set of smurfs are just out to be nasty and troll the current match, I urge you to only play with friends and ignore all chat. Once you reach level 30 then you can start contributing to the tribunal. Please make sure you report the people who deserve it and give a clear description as to why you are reporting the specific player.

The Tribunal is broken and worth less than the toilet paper you wipe your ass with. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true...and even the Riot staff knows it. Morello has commented on this multiple times actually.

As for the smurfs, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I have a smurf account, and a lot of it is just to keep myself in check and remember what it was like when I first started playing. There's also the fact that learning how to do well with a champ without any runes or masteries available to you means that you can have a lot more control over that champ than ever before. As you are leveling to 30, you don't necessarily get that type of opportunity because you don't have the champs and you don't have the masteries and runes. You are still working towards them. By the time you are 30 and have well over 1,000 games under your belt, you have to find something that will get you to another level of play. Smurf accounts allow that. Now, does it mean that you are playing against the best types of competition? No, not necessarily. We could try doing it in level 30 matches, but again, the point is to try and find ways to get better at the CORE mechanics. We can't just jump into a 30 match and do that because...guess what...we have a team that needs us to be at full capability going in.

Hell, I actually can't remember a lot of the "mistreatment" that people talk about at low levels. I just on my smurf account and then just tell people "I'm new" and see how they react. When I stomp ass in the match and tell them that I'm just on a smurf, many of them try to get uppity. I just point out that they are assholes and need to die in a fire at the bottom of a cliff they jumped off. It's just the way it goes.

Seriously, though, until Riot can offer some place where you are allowed to actually LEARN the game, the only resources available are a strategic mind, knowledge of the characters through research at places like SoloMid, and watching streams of people playing.

@ZeForgotten said:

@Sanryd: Everybody knows why nobody is willing to admit their mistakes when they play League of Legends

Because terrible things will happen to the game!

I will say that I've seen excuses like that before, but I've also seen a ton of them that make absolute sense. There is a trickle effect that happens - it's called snowballing, and many in the League community know about it. One thing leads to another, which leads to another, and then things begin unfolding. The problem does become that no one will take responsibility for their actions, such as doing dumb shit that gets them killed, missing MIA calls, not warding properly, and not keeping their CS up in lane. However, I will also say that many people who poke fun as the idea of snowballing...probably don't play much League of Legends and doesn't understand how one small mistake can completely fuck everything up.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By peritus

But the community in the game can be god-awefull. For sure.

I had some fun games, but when you're just having a bad game ( wich happens to everyone, lets face it. ) theres always atleast one douchebag bent on ruining you're day. I've had some of the most vile encounters of my life in this game, and it got to the point that i just quit with the game alltogether. If you have a group of people you know, and only play with them, that might work. But playing with randoms is opening up youre world to the very worst the internet has to offer.

So basically... fuck league players... well the A-holes anyways.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Its popular for 3 main reasons

Moba style games are insanely fun

it cost 0$ to get into

and it will run on literally anything, I have a 6 year old dell insperon that will run this game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.