Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Programming on Macs

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Shaka999

I gotta say, I love my Macbook Pro. It's a really nice laptop, I don't mind using the mouse pad on it (although I do have a mouse if need be) it can play the games I want it to play, and It's really convenient. That is, if I'm not trying to program.

I currently have two programs on my computer I want to program with: Eclipse and Blitzmax (a good my-first-programming tool IMO). I've been coding for a fair amount of time, and I wanted to take a shot at making a "real" game. Nothing big, but something for my own personal education, and if I think it's good enough, maybe putting it out there for the masses. Who knows.

The problem is, whenever I try to compile/build my code, I run into the problem of (from my admittedly novice understanding) that I'm missing a certain item that should be on my computer. How do I get said item? By downloading Xcode.

Now that's not a problem at all. It's inconvenient, sure, but it's no big deal. After a quick google search of "Xcode" I'm taken to Apple's website... and here's where the problems begin. In order to buy Xcode, I need an Apple ID. And not only do I need an Apple ID, but I need to deem myself an Apple Developer (whatever the hell that entails, and after watching South Park last night, I'm a little nervous). Then once I deem myself an Apple Developer, then I have to agree to the iTunes registration bullshit. Then I look at Xcode, (thankfully it's only $5... as far as I can tell) and not only is the process to get it way more work than it needs to be, but then it gets terrible reviews and apparently you have to re-download it every time you want to update it. Time Warner Cable is shitty enough as it is, the absolute last thing I need to burden my internet with is a fucking 4-gig download every time I want to be able to code.

Now, I'm no expert on this sort of thing, and I'm sure there's ways around it (which I would be very grateful for), but it's a lot more trouble than it's worth. Sure it's cheap, but for something so cheap it shouldn't be so damn annoying to obtain.

Anyways, I had to let that out. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Shaka999

I gotta say, I love my Macbook Pro. It's a really nice laptop, I don't mind using the mouse pad on it (although I do have a mouse if need be) it can play the games I want it to play, and It's really convenient. That is, if I'm not trying to program.

I currently have two programs on my computer I want to program with: Eclipse and Blitzmax (a good my-first-programming tool IMO). I've been coding for a fair amount of time, and I wanted to take a shot at making a "real" game. Nothing big, but something for my own personal education, and if I think it's good enough, maybe putting it out there for the masses. Who knows.

The problem is, whenever I try to compile/build my code, I run into the problem of (from my admittedly novice understanding) that I'm missing a certain item that should be on my computer. How do I get said item? By downloading Xcode.

Now that's not a problem at all. It's inconvenient, sure, but it's no big deal. After a quick google search of "Xcode" I'm taken to Apple's website... and here's where the problems begin. In order to buy Xcode, I need an Apple ID. And not only do I need an Apple ID, but I need to deem myself an Apple Developer (whatever the hell that entails, and after watching South Park last night, I'm a little nervous). Then once I deem myself an Apple Developer, then I have to agree to the iTunes registration bullshit. Then I look at Xcode, (thankfully it's only $5... as far as I can tell) and not only is the process to get it way more work than it needs to be, but then it gets terrible reviews and apparently you have to re-download it every time you want to update it. Time Warner Cable is shitty enough as it is, the absolute last thing I need to burden my internet with is a fucking 4-gig download every time I want to be able to code.

Now, I'm no expert on this sort of thing, and I'm sure there's ways around it (which I would be very grateful for), but it's a lot more trouble than it's worth. Sure it's cheap, but for something so cheap it shouldn't be so damn annoying to obtain.

Anyways, I had to let that out. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.