Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Whiskey Widgets in OSX Lion

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By CameraGuyKurt

There's an interesting little feature I read about in OSX Lion ( http://goo.gl/quggF) that creates desktop web-apps using Automator. Naturally, the first thing I did was try it out with the Whiskey sites and bingo... instant widgets.

Setting the user agent in the Automator script to "iPhone" pops up the mobile version of the Whiskey sites (if your membership is paid up, of course). After you've got it going, you've got Giant Bomb at a glance in a window that's around the same size as the Mac Twitter app.

No Caption Provided

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think they look pretty sharp lined up in their own 'space' in Lion, or on a second monitor. The icing on the cake would be getting them to auto-refresh. This is basically the first time I've used Automator, so if anyone has any extra helpful tips, I'm all ears.

-Kurt

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CameraGuyKurt

There's an interesting little feature I read about in OSX Lion ( http://goo.gl/quggF) that creates desktop web-apps using Automator. Naturally, the first thing I did was try it out with the Whiskey sites and bingo... instant widgets.

Setting the user agent in the Automator script to "iPhone" pops up the mobile version of the Whiskey sites (if your membership is paid up, of course). After you've got it going, you've got Giant Bomb at a glance in a window that's around the same size as the Mac Twitter app.

No Caption Provided

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think they look pretty sharp lined up in their own 'space' in Lion, or on a second monitor. The icing on the cake would be getting them to auto-refresh. This is basically the first time I've used Automator, so if anyone has any extra helpful tips, I'm all ears.

-Kurt

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

That's really neat, might give that a shot when I upgrade to lion. I visit so often, I might as well keep a widget open.

More importantly, where can I get that awesome stylized lightcycle wallpaper?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

I guess this is cool, and I know this thread is old but... what is the point in these? They don't offer any functionality at all unless you stare at the desktop instead of using a web browser, then the kicker is that they don't even auto-refresh.

and the websites are basically unusable in a little window like that, if you then make the windows larger at what point should you just give it up and open a web browser? I just don't get it.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GS_Dan

@Sooty: It's the mobile site, so they're designed to work at that size. But yeah, most other things about it seem a little pointless. I still want my Whiskey hub with all content on it!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

@GS_Dan said:

@Sooty: It's the mobile site, so they're designed to work at that size. But yeah, most other things about it seem a little pointless. I still want my Whiskey hub with all content on it!

Oh yeah I just noticed that, hmm if you are using OS X Lion just make a new desktop with a dedicated web browser window with the Whiskey sites spread across tabs.

Behold, productivity!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.