Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mad Max

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

An open world action game with an emphasis on vehicular combat, based on the Mad Max character from the series of Australian post-apocalyptic films by George Miller.

Mad Max game should have come out this week

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mad Max should have come out this week instead of next week. It's suicide to go up against Metal Gear Solid 5 next week. Why they didn't release this week when there wasn't another big release? Haven't seen any reviews, only previews. Looks pretty good but it's odd that tons of MGS5 reviews are out but no Mad Max game reviews.

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might just be the lesser of two evils. They probably don't want to launch against Destiny, or Halo or any of the rest of the fall releases.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie comes out on Blu Ray and dvd next week.

The game should come earlier in August.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie comes out on Blu Ray and dvd next week.

Yeah, that's basically what I came here to say, the movie comes out September 1st, and the game comes out September 1st. So that is probably on purpose, even though the game isn't directly related to that movie, it's still Mad Max properties and still seems as though the game has some influences from the movie in it so they probably wanted them both to be releases at the same time to bolster each other, and I can only assume the movie had more 'we pick the release day' agency than the game did.

I agree though it should have come out at a different time, but I get why it might not have had a choice in the matter.

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilCalvin

Well, if they released the game THIS week with a $10 off coupon for the Blu-Ray movie then people might have the inclination and money to buy the movie next week. Now the game is fighting for buyers dollars against the movie Blu-Ray AND MGS5. Gamers have only so much money in a given week.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I still don't understand why Tuesdays are the only days to release high profile games. Someone will likely give me an answer, tho.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't really care to play Metal Gear Solid and - this might be hard to believe - I'm probably not the only one. I think Mad Max looks like an awesome game and I'll be giving it a shot if I hear positive things about it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@believer258: You're probably not, but there's probably also a significant number of people buying Metal Gear who would've played Mad Max if it had come out earlier. I've seen a ton of people say as much.

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: I think I still will get Mad Max Tuesday as I am pretty tired of Metal Gear's convoluted story and janky controls. Unless the reviews are horrible then Mad Max it is. Why are there no reviews at all? I know there is usually an embargo but often one or two slip through.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By a_e_martin

While the release dates for both games were announced fairly close to each other, I believe the date for Mad Max was officially announced before MGSV's was (though MGSV's may have leaked around the same time). So, I guess part of it might be that WB decided to stick with it rather than appear intimidated, since technically they did announce first.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well games are kinda back... If they release this week they gotta battle the pr hype train of game news coming from pax. If they release the game the week after mgs v they have to battle Mario Maker. If Mad Max is an awesome game it'll find a way to sell.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Yeah, in fact they had a three-hour slot on the official PAX stream on Twitch yesterday, and they were on Team Coco's stream earlier in the week. They've been promoing hard, so I think they'll be fine.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@i_stay_puft: I feel like it'd be way better for Mad Max to go up against Mario Maker than MGS V. Either way, I think Mad Max should have come earlier in August, even before Madden and Until Dawn.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: I think I still will get Mad Max Tuesday as I am pretty tired of Metal Gear's convoluted story and janky controls. Unless the reviews are horrible then Mad Max it is. Why are there no reviews at all? I know there is usually an embargo but often one or two slip through.

MGS 5 has no janky controls good sir.

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake said:
    @evilcalvin said:

MGS 5 has no janky controls good sir.

Well they were in Ground Zeroes. To me, at least, they seemed to be. And I'm sure MGS5 is the same engine/ controls.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honest question since I don't know, but is Metal Gear really that big? Like, I know among people who play videogames it's one of the biggest things there is, but does it really catch mainstream audiences in the same way that the real big guys like Battlefield and Call of Duty do? Is it really something that other companies need to get out of the way of? Again, I'm not trolling, that is a legitimate question.

Either way, Mad Max won't beat Metal Gear or anything, but I don't think it's going to do poorly.The advertising has been solid and it has the benefit of coming out alongside the home release of one of the most popular movies of the year. It'll probably do just fine.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

You're right, but I'll probably pick it up on sale sometime early 2016 when there's a relative drought.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a real shame that it will be overshadowed. What I've played of it it's actually a pretty solid game. It's gonna lose in the sales game to MGS and perhaps be unfairly/wrongfully compared to Just Cause 3.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna gamefly Mad Max and it will collect dust until I thoroughly play MGSV.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: Gamespot actually did an article 2 years ago comparing the units of MGS games sold compared to Call of Duty/Halo/Fifa. It was basically 33 million units sold of MGS games compared to 50 million of Halo and 100+ million of COD and FIFA.

So big, but not exactly on top. Click me, for I am source.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@brackstone: I think that in this moment MGSV has the potential to be that big. It's without a doubt the biggest release in all of September and it and Mad Max are pretty much the only big games coming that month. Not to mention the crazy hype and review scores it's building up and the fact that it's releasing on every major system except the WiiU. Hard to say if it will be that big, but it's certainly got a free and clear road to that outcome.

ScottG13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm sure there are some charts somewhere the publishers have that indicate whether releasing on the same day as a genre competitor is a lift or hinderance. Feels like a hinderance here. Would be better from a coverage standpoint to have a week to themselves. Would have only competed with a couple of re-releases this week.(Dishonored is still a delight, BTW)

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I should be 40 pounds lighter.

hanner74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know when the reviews will go up? MGS5 reviews started hitting on Sunday or Monday already...

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting both on Tuesday, but I'm honestly more interested in Mad Max. Seems like the easier game to just jump in and out of without committing to too much time in one sitting, which is what I want right now.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By stonyman65

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to get destroyed by MGS TPP. Just the fact that we haven't heard all that much about the game and the issues it had when the press saw it at E3, add to that no reviews out or features about it on gaming sites... To me that sounds like the publisher doesn't have much confidence in it and is just trying to poop it out alongside the release of the movie blur-ray. I mean, that's what they DO with licenced games, right?

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im more curious to see how well Tomb Raider does this holiday coming out on one console at the moment the same day as Fallout 4. Hopefully it does well considering how last one was considered a flop by Square even though it sold millions of copies.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

I know a lot of people are just looking out for MGS, but honestly right now there is already so much stuff to play besides it that has been getting released in the last couple of weeks and is yet to come in the next couple, right now on my plate to play: Shadowrun: Hong Kong (about to finish), Satellite Reign came out today, Pillars of Eternity first part of expansion, new major Hearthstone expansion, Diablo 3 content update, Act of Aggression release next week, Mad Max.

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it really makes no sense to release it next week. This week there are a few minor releases. They could have had a full week of hype for the game and for the movie next week. Next week it will be all MGS5. What worries me, is like others have said, is that it may be terrible and they are treating it like all of the other crap licensed games and poop it out with the DVD release. It always is a crap shoot when a game NEEDS to release on a given day like with the Mad Max DVD or in Star Wars' case Battlefront. I hope this is an exception.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

speaking of mad max, Uber is doing something pretty cool in seattle

http://newsroom.uber.com/seattle/2015/08/enter-the-wasteland/

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brackstone

@stonyman65:Actually there's been a ton of covereage recently, so there's plenty of info about mad max out there. This past week, several outlets big and small have run hour long gameplay features on the game. Warner Bros is plenty confident if they're showing off large, unedited, unscripted chunks of the game left, right and center.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I still don't understand why Tuesdays are the only days to release high profile games. Someone will likely give me an answer, tho.

Games do it now because movies started doing it, not sure why movies started doing it on tuesdays. Nintendo used to release stuff on Sundays, now they release stuff on Fridays.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By AlexW00d

It's just the day the US releases games. It's Friday here in the UK and Thursday in some European countries. Although that doesn't stop some games releasing on any of those days.

RonnieBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RonnieBarzel

@zippedbinders said:
    @shivermetimbers said:

Games do it now because movies started doing it, not sure why movies started doing it on tuesdays. Nintendo used to release stuff on Sundays, now they release stuff on Fridays.

Movies just adopted the normal release date as music, which until the recent move to a worldwide "New Release Friday" also used to release Tuesday.

As to why? Saturday and Sunday were ruled out due to customer foot traffic making it tough to devote manpower to receiving and stocking the new material. Retailers and distributors used to not be crazy about the idea of having a release day later in the week as it didn't allow time for a drop shipment of more of a sold-out hot SKU before weekend sales days.

Monday didn't give enough time for the staff to do it, so music (then movies, then games) made Tuesday the unified normal day of release.

Mad Max should have come out this week instead of next week. It's suicide to go up against Metal Gear Solid 5 next week. Why they didn't release this week when there wasn't another big release? Haven't seen any reviews, only previews. Looks pretty good but it's odd that tons of MGS5 reviews are out but no Mad Max game reviews.

I think you're underestimating just how much of the oxygen in the room was used up by Madden.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.