Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia III

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

The third game in the open world crime series. Mafia III follows Vietnam veteran, mixed-race Lincoln Clay in 1960s New Bordeaux, when racism is blooming, as he aspires for revenge against those who have harmed his family.

Mafia III Impressions.

• 181 results
    mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@probablytuna@omgfather After you meet Burke you can get vehicles delivered to you. It's a pre-determined list, I haven't seen a traditional "garage". But your previous car will spawn outside the Father's house.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick: With your positive impression and the other people saying its a bit janky it sounds like this is yet another game to get in 6 months on sale. This year has been filled with a boatload of "wait for sales" games.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Anyone playing with the new patch? How is it at 60fps?

Hearing about some more technical issues with the PC version. Anyone running on a GTX 1070, hows performance?

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@machofantastico: Poorly optimized. No one is playing at 60 FPS. I'm ~45 with a 1080.

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing the Steam version, and I'm hooked. The sound effects, voice acting, motion capture, music, and story are all amazing. I played when it was still locked at 30 and now post patch, and I can't tell the difference. PC master race? I dunno. I can never tell. I saw on Steam people were complaining about bugs, but I haven't had any issues at all. i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, GeForce 980TI. The video options are sparse as fuck, but the latest patch added some options. FOV to me is kind of pointless in a third person game, but whatever. B for effort, I guess.

We gotta talk about the lighting, though. It's been mentioned in this thread already, but the sunset is fucking INTENSE. Like, I can't see a god damn thing. It looks real pretty, but it sucks when you can't see anything and you're running from the cops driving your car into everything.

I had no intention of getting this game, but watching Vinnie and Alex play it made me want it. Surprise of the year, to be sure.

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really understand the reason for making the choice between Lethal, and Non-lethal takedowns a toggle in the menu?

You can't decide it on the fly, this feels really weird to me.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@elwood said:

I don't really understand the reason for making the choice between Lethal, and Non-lethal takedowns a toggle in the menu?

Maybe it's if people think the lethal ones are to brutal? The one you get if you have a rifle equipped where you push the guy to the floor put the gun in his face and pull the trigger is pretty gnarly.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

@mmmslash said:

@machofantastico: Poorly optimized. No one is playing at 60 FPS. I'm ~45 with a 1080.

Well that sucks, been a rough few weeks for PC ports.

Mr_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Mr_Bones

Is anyone else having weird issues with AI driver pathing? I keep hitting people in intersections because they literally come to the middle of the intersection and start spinning around trying to pick which way to go. It's really weird.

Really enjoying the game, strong opening. But yeah, like other people have said, I wish it was open world in the way Mafia 2 was; and I didn't have to plant bugs and collect transistors and crap. Gotta say though, collectable playboys is a rad idea. ALMOST as good as collectable sea shanties.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@mr_bones: I haven't got Mafia 3 yet (I will though, I loved the first two games, the first one in particular) but it's interesting that they may have over-corrected in the "open world-ness" of the game. I liked just doing the story stuff in Mafia 1 and 2 and thought the cities were a cool backdrop. My only issue with Mafia 2 was that I felt it wrapped up too quickly. Interesting that Mafia 3 is drawing criticisms for being too much full of open world activities. I imagine though, if it were like the first 2 games, it would cop flak for feeling 'empty'.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: I have a feeling both criticisms are a product of their time. Mafia 2 came out when people were hungry for open world, Mafia 3 comes after the year of open world that was last year.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By aktivity

@captain_insano: I think the issue is that a portion of those activities is required for story progression. The structure is very reminiscent of liberating districts in AC: Syndicate.
    However unlike that game their not entirely optional. I'm still enjoying my early hours with the game, but I can see this getting old eventually.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By hach
    No Caption Provided

This mission was kind of annoying as I died twice and had to do the whole thing over again from the beginning but all in all I'm really liking this game. Also in this mission, I accidentally punched a guy instead of stealth killing and alerted everyone. I went into a building then one by one every single guy in the place walked in to the building and I stealth killed them all. Doubt it's intended behaviour but it's pretty funny. Also it seems that even when your location is unknown, if guards are searching, they'll magically know exactly where you are and go there, but in the end it actually made this mission easier.

@elwood: oh man, I didn't know there was an option, I thought if you had a gun equipped he'd do lethal and if you holstered it he'd do non lethal.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed the game so far, its a little rough around the edges, but I can get used to that. The story is fantastic. It did crash on me last night after about 3 hours in...(PS4)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got into the regular rut of the game now it would seem. So far I am really liking the game. Aside from you losing your badass car for some reason, I appreciate how the game keeps track of your current car between missions and such. The gun play has a real punch to it and the driving I switched to simulation from normal and for some reason I found the cars easier to handle that way. I am not really sure why, but drifting around corners and basic handling just feels more intuitive. Also quite enjoying the story as well. And the Mafia II connection.

I will admit though that I really respect what they're doing with language and attitudes between people. Especially since a lot of those attitudes seem like they somehow are still here today and not a relic of the past and seeing that is depressing in it's own way. So far it feels well measured anyway.

But, on the other side, I saw 4 parked cars suddenly bounce around and explode for no reason because open worlds be janky.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Mister_V

Has anyone had any issues with the speedboat side missions where you deliver the weed? I did two of them but when I went to the guy to start the third the game gave me some message that suggested I couldn't do anymore until I owned more areas. However the icon for the mission still shows up on the map, but when I go there there is no boat or enemy's to be found, Just some people chilling out at the dock.

@pezen: I also changed the cars to sim mode and it's a lot easier/more fun to drive like that.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#117  Edited By extintor

8 hours in and the narrative-heavy story set up has started to give way to territory take-over missions and a little bit of narrative space to explore the world. Mafia 3 has a super-interesting setting and the sense of place is very strong.

I've played this kind of game before a dozen times, but never with this level of style and to this level of storytelling (so far at least).

Overall, the game takes itself pretty seriously and I like that. Some won't of course.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was driving to my next objective, and listening to the radio as is period appropriate, and they launch into the news; reporting a plane hijacking, and then immediately proceeded to play "The Letter" by The Box Tops. This game is fucking alright, you guys.

For reference:

Loading Video...

It's also a damn good song. Though not even close to the best this game has to offer. Honestly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't just devolved into a discussion about the music. It's SO good.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading these insights has me tempted to get this, even though I'm playing AssCreed Syndicate now and feeling the open-world icon chasing fatigue not even half way through the story.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I run the game at almost a locked 58fps by putting everything on low. I'm on a 1070. Why 58fps? Who knows. The 60fps patch introduced a lot of microstutter for me, I fixed this by using the Nvidia control panel to render 1 frame at a time.

Luckily from all the graphics comparisons I've seen there is almost no difference between Low and High settings (besides High AA making everything blurry).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@mr_bones: I haven't got Mafia 3 yet (I will though, I loved the first two games, the first one in particular) but it's interesting that they may have over-corrected in the "open world-ness" of the game. I liked just doing the story stuff in Mafia 1 and 2 and thought the cities were a cool backdrop. My only issue with Mafia 2 was that I felt it wrapped up too quickly. Interesting that Mafia 3 is drawing criticisms for being too much full of open world activities. I imagine though, if it were like the first 2 games, it would cop flak for feeling 'empty'.

Aww, that's a bummer.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's also a damn good song. Though not even close to the best this game has to offer. Honestly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't just devolved into a discussion about the music. It's SO good.

Having worked retail for a decade, just about every single song is something I've heard too much in my life, and if I haven't heard them several hundred times in a year then I heard them several times in other games like the Godfather 2 or similar, so I am actually a bit turned off by the music :/

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Samael2138

@machofantastico said:

Anyone playing with the new patch? How is it at 60fps?

Hearing about some more technical issues with the PC version. Anyone running on a GTX 1070, hows performance?

The new patch works fine. Game looks nice at 58-60 fps solid, but some textures are pretty low res. I've had basically no problems since the patch, with one CTD being the only exception. I'm on an i7-6500, 16 gigs ddr4 ram, GTX 1070. The only things not maxed are AA(high makes things a little blurry), and reflection quality is at medium(there is a ton of water in this game, especially in the bayou)

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By brutushayesosu
    No Caption Provided

Im loving the story, gameplay is average, and the graphics.......this picture is one of my cutscenes. (PS4)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few crashes aside the game runs fine for me and the 60fps mode are most welcome. With that said the game doesnt exactly look good like people have been saying, apart from the slick pre rendered cutscenes it kinda looks like an 10 year old GTA game but with less details in the world.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game fails to meet many of my standards, and yet I can't put it down.

The simplistic stealth/sneaking gameplay is so much fun that I no longer care about all my criticisms of this game.

I can't get enough of sneaking around mobsters undetected and taking them out!!

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In my last post I complained that the open world was repetitive. I have to say that while I would still have preferred a more linear storyline along the lines of the first two games (still with the open world as a backdrop), the Mafia 3 open world is not quite as bad as I first came to believe. There are plenty of things to do that is fairly varied. I'm rather enjoying the game at 22 hours in.

TwitterBeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick: This is my view as well. I talked about this elsewhere, but overall I find the soundtrack to be one of the most disappointing aspects of the game. As you said, many of the songs are very obvious selections which gives the whole thing a 'Greatest Hits' vibe. There are multiple songs by the same artist which is pretty lazy and many songs (Paint it Black, Sympathy for the Devil etc.) have been used ad nauseam in other games and films.

My biggest gripe is how little of it is specific to New Orleans. Obviously the city has the richest of musical histories yet very little of it is included here. Where is the Dr. John? Where is the Louis Armstrong? Where is the jazz station? In general the whole thing just feels incredibly formulaic and uninspired.

A real missed opportunity in my opinion.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got to the betrayal part... damn good. But wow the game is really buggy on PC. So like 2, maybe less, hours of play and I've had two crashes. At one point there was a loud buzzing noise after the boat sequence when you are on foot. I think it was acting like I was still driving the boat because it went away once I got into a car. Then another part I got in a car and couldn't move it like it was stuck in the ground.

Hope some of that stuff gets ironed out; mostly the crashes. Seems good so far. The characters seem interesting and I like the look of the world.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By jeddy201

@mister_v said:

@elwood said:

Maybe it's if people think the lethal ones are to brutal? The one you get if you have a rifle equipped where you push the guy to the floor put the gun in his face and pull the trigger is pretty gnarly.

Yeah, I'd say it's probably this. There are some where Lincoln will just stab a guy in the face repeatedly and I can imagine some people would like to play the game but not see super intense stuff like that.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#131  Edited By DystopiaX

@thecitizenkaneofthings said:

@mister_v said:

@elwood said:

Yeah, I'd say it's probably this. There are some where Lincoln will just stab a guy in the face repeatedly and I can imagine some people would like to play the game but not see super intense stuff like that.

It still makes no sense as an option in the menu imo. There are several points in the story at which I was like "ok I'd rather go non-lethal here than lethal" and having to button through a menu to do it rather than not holding down the B button or something makes no sense to me. If there's worry about the lethal takedowns being too graphic you could just institute a COD-like "nothing too violent" option, but having that option being nonlethal vs lethal is real weird IMO.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By probablytuna

@mister_v said:

@elwood said:

It still makes no sense as an option in the menu imo. There are several points in the story at which I was like "ok I'd rather go non-lethal here than lethal" and having to button through a menu to do it rather than not holding down the B button or something makes no sense to me. If there's worry about the lethal takedowns being too graphic you could just institute a COD-like "nothing too violent" option, but having that option being nonlethal vs lethal is real weird IMO.

Yeah it should've either been a tap for non-lethal, hold for lethal button or just have the knife selectable as a weapon in the radial menu.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By WynnDuffy

I'm really interested to play this, going to wait for a Steam sale or something though as I have a lot of other things to do right now. Sounds like it could use a few patches too.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#134  Edited By Joe_McCallister

I'm really interested to play this, going to wait for a Steam sale or something though as I have a lot of other things to do right now. Sounds like it could use a few patches too.

This is probably where most people will fall- I've got somewhere over 10 hours in now, really dig it and the world is starting to open up a bit more. There's definitely jank with some bugs like I had some terrifying geometry issues (Lincoln looked like the horrifying Mass Effect Monster Factory abomination) but overall there's a lot of pros to counteract the cons. Things that can't be patched too easily like voice acting, music cues, and cutscenes are all on point - I do get a feeling that I messed up by playing GTA V before this because the GTA world is so rife with stuff and customization, where Lincoln has a list of about 12 cars to get delivered, and can't change clothes - which is a really weird and honestly frustrating choice. I thought I saw somewhere that clothes/customization was being patched in too but it's a really weird omission, but overall the game definitely satiates the open-world hunger for now. It'll get me through until Wathc_Dogs 2 on the third person front, but I think once Battlefield and Titanfall come out for me it'll get bumped.

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dystopiax said:

@mister_v said:

@elwood said:

Yeah it should've either been a tap for non-lethal, hold for lethal button or just have the knife selectable as a weapon in the radial menu.

Completely agree and yeah the COD way with a toggle for graphic violence would be a better option.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really really like this game. Its much more focused than a GTA/Saints Row. It took me a 30-45 minutes to get used the controls( I kept hitting Triangle to get in vehicles)

kurogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liking it, but man it's one of those games that's making me want to upgrade my video card. I'm running a 770 and I have to play it on minimum settings (720, low graphics) to get the thing running, even with some hitching. Anyone else experiencing this?

Maybe it's because I've been playing it on Steam Link.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kurogane: I am running this game on a GTX770 and i can run it on medium 1080p maybe its a driver thing ?

kurogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: oh really? That's encouraging! I'm 90% sure then that the bottleneck is the connection speed to the Steam Link.

I can't run Rocket League on max settings when I'm using the Link, but straight from the PC is no problem.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone encounter the bug with the snatch-cargo side missions, where the marker stays on the last mission you've done? I have no idea how to fix this, and I want to be able to get the bonuses for each underboss.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seen my good share of open world jank occuring, though the only one that has bothered me so far was the game coming crashing down. Besides that, I'm still enjoying it plenty. The soundtrack might be a very familiar selection of 60/70's songs, but when it's this good I'm really not complaining at all, especially when I'm cruising around with those awesome cars while listening to it! The world and the story are also still doing wonders in keeping my interest up.

Was a bit worried that I'd bounce away from this because I've grown pretty tired of open world games during the last two years. The side-activities still aren't anything amazing and definitely wouldn't hold up my interest if the story wasn't as good as it is, but the gameplay is fun enough that I don't mind blasting some other gangsters to bloody bits.

I'm kinda 50/50 about Clinton's permanent clothing. At the same time I really enjoyed giving all of my characters in GTA V plenty of different clothes, but Clinton is kind of a character who doesn't seem like he'd give a shit about how he looks, when there's a revenge to take care of.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat said:

Has anyone encounter the bug with the snatch-cargo side missions, where the marker stays on the last mission you've done? I have no idea how to fix this, and I want to be able to get the bonuses for each underboss.

I think you have to take over another area for them before you can tackle another one of those missions.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We gotta talk about the lighting, though. It's been mentioned in this thread already, but the sunset is fucking INTENSE. Like, I can't see a god damn thing. It looks real pretty, but it sucks when you can't see anything and you're running from the cops driving your car into everything.

More than the repetition, the lighting is probably my biggest annoyance with this game. They've gotta tone something down, because right now there are times when I legitimately can't see a thing. I was out on a boat at one point and the reflection of the sun off of the water was blinding, I had no idea where I was going.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like it, but I'm a sucker for open world games where I can wander around and soak in the environment while picking up meaningless, marked collectibles.

But the story is genuinely engaging, hope they stick the landing on it, and to be honest, I find the shooting/stealth mechanics to be pretty excellent once you get used to the controls. I feel more in control than in GTA, and the open world leads to open encounters you can tackle in a multitude of ways. I have not seen an encounter yet that didn't seem possible using only stealth. Mafia 3 is as competent an action game as any Naughty Dog title

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'm enjoying Mafia 3 but man is it janky as hell and sometimes not in that fun open world jank.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

This game makes a hell of a first impression. A good soundtrack goes a long way.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

15 hours in and this game has settled into a familiar open world pattern.

As others have said, the zone takeover mechanic is reminiscent of Assassin's Creed Syndicate. It works fine and it is interesting to play... but it isn't anything new. In gameplay terms, there's nothing new really.

The world is interesting from a historically thematic point of view. There's enough detail to make it feel immersive enough without actually ever reaching the point of being impressive by modern open world gaming standards.

The story and characters though... They are top notch so far. I will definitely play this one through to completion based on the narrative quality alone.

BuckinghamAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the documentary style story telling in this game! The story is what keeps me playing day to day.

The Gameplay is okay, nothing to amazing but nothing down right awful!

The missions can get a little repetitive after you have done the same thing over and over again trying to get to the next plot point. Also the world feels a little empty and the NPCs don't feel real at times.

Overall I think this a good game that could have been amazing if they went with the same story telling but with a streamline linear game where the missions are more thought out and have a feeling that you could complete it different ways. However, I know the Mafia franchise is a open world style game but that is just my thoughts :)

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By BrianP

Man, I like this game a pretty good deal but on PC it is a total mess. I'm running an i5-6500 and a 1070 and there is constant hitching in the frame rate, also turning various stuff down/off doesn't seem to help at all. It also crashes on me pretty consistently, which is a bummer when you are almost through a hideout. The lighting and physics are also pretty bananas at times, and the rain seems to kill the frame rate and it seems to be ALWAYS RAINING.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.