Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

GOTY 2010: no mention of Overload DLC?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

So iirc Giant Bomb gave Lair of the Shadow Broker the award for best DLC, with Minerva's Den and Undead Nightmare in 2nd and third place.

On last week's episode of the podcast they seem to all be in agreement that Overload was as good, if not better than Lair of the Shadow Broker. Wtf? Overload was totally thrown to the side during those old deliberations. Am I missing something?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Winternet

@RainVillain: Wait, didn't they gave the award to Minerva's Den? I'm pretty sure Brad defended his choice as a motherfucker and got Minerva's Den the award.

About Overlord, they did discuss it and I remember only Jeff making the argument of Overlord over Shadow Broker.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

I personally preferred Overlord and rate it as one of the top pieces of dlc in recent years for the story alone. It's funny how their opinions have changed over time I guess.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RainVillain

@Winternet: you're right about Minerva. It's been a while. And I'm glad to hear Jeff was backing it up. Makes his position on Overlord in 2012 totally understandable now. Thanks for the clarification.

I could just be reading into things but I feel like Jeff's sway on the opinion of the other Giant Bomb staff is very strong. You'd think Ryan or Brad would have defended Shadow Broker a little more last week. Oh well.

Its rare that the rest of the crew disagrees with Jeff unless they do so jokingly (Trackmania, Terraria) to the point where I can already imagine everyone on the bombcast next week to reciprocate Jeff's feelings about ME3. Would love to be proven wrong but it just seems like there's a mild circle jerk-esque quality to Giant Bomb debates.

Whenever someone openly disagrees with Jeff its a lot more fun/engaging/thoughtful commentary. I remember Ryan and Jeff bickering about the multiplayer in Splinter Cell Conviction. It stood out to me because it seems so rare for them to really debate games.

Or I could be wrong? I just feel like outside of GOTY podcasts everyone agrees a bit too much..

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@RainVillain: Maybe they just don't see the point in a argument. They know that they all like some different things.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Winternet

@RainVillain: Well, they didn't really discuss it. Pat mentioned he played Overlord and Jeff said that he thinks it's better than Shadow Broker.

Regarding them agreeing most of the times, you have to remember that they have been together for a decade now. It's understandable that they have influenced each other over the years and their likes and dislikes tend to a common ground. But, each have their own games that the others don't play or understand how the other is into it and some games do cause that disagreement (Flower comes to mind)

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RainVillain

@Winternet: You're right, Flower was a good example.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By sixpin

What I don't get is how they think Overlord was better than Shadow Broker. Overlord was some vehicle sequences with bad checkpionts, while Shadow Broker was more of what was good about ME as a series - conversations and shooting. I also don't get what Patrick was talking about when he said the choice at the end of Overlord was a hard one. It took me no time at all to choose, but maybe I'm too much of a paragon to feel tempted to make the jerk choice. Oh well, opinions.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turambar
    During the GOTY discussion, Jeff didn't play Shadow Broker yet, and later said if he did, he would have dug his heals in for Overlord much harder.

@sixpin said:

What I don't get is how they think Overlord was better than Shadow Broker. Overlord was some vehicle sequences with bad checkpionts, while Shadow Broker was more of what was good about ME as a series - conversations and shooting. I also don't get what Patrick was talking about when he said the choice at the end of Overlord was a hard one. It took me no time at all to choose, but maybe I'm too much of a paragon to feel tempted to make the jerk choice. Oh well, opinions.

Brad certainly didn't.  And I think for Patrick, he's just basing much of his preference off the final sequence.  Story wise, Overlord was just a one off side story with little impact on the universe while Shadow Broker was very integral to the plot, so my vote goes to the latter as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.