Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 Weapons DLC Coming Before Liara DLC

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    The three promotional images for the forthcoming Mass Effect 2 DLC Lair of the Shadow Broker teased more than its focus on Liara. Those NERF guns Shepard and his friends have hoisted? Some of those are DLC weapons that haven't been released, but will be in advance of the Liara content.

Community manager Jarrett Lee hit the BioWare forums scene soon after a few eagle-eyed members noticed that the guns were not in the game and supposed that they would be included in Shadow Broker. Lee confirmed that the images contained guns set to hit in a "different pack that will be released prior to Lair of the Shadow Broker," and apologized for the misleading images. 

Lee also did a bit of teasing, too. 

No Caption Provided

== TEASER =="Lair of the Shadow broker does, however, contain some really cool stuff we haven't revealed yet, so stay tuned for more details as we head into August," he wrote in the message board thread. He said the sickest part of the content would not be revealed in any shred of PR or marketing, leaving it up to the fans--the obsessive sort that would spot unusual guns in promotional images--to experience it without fear of the content being spoiled.

"Soon" is one of the only words we can use when describing when the new DLC, which will feature Mass Effect veteran and possible love interest Liara, will hit. So, I suppose you'll be seeing this weapon pack "very soon" or "rather soon" or "in early August."
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    The three promotional images for the forthcoming Mass Effect 2 DLC Lair of the Shadow Broker teased more than its focus on Liara. Those NERF guns Shepard and his friends have hoisted? Some of those are DLC weapons that haven't been released, but will be in advance of the Liara content.

Community manager Jarrett Lee hit the BioWare forums scene soon after a few eagle-eyed members noticed that the guns were not in the game and supposed that they would be included in Shadow Broker. Lee confirmed that the images contained guns set to hit in a "different pack that will be released prior to Lair of the Shadow Broker," and apologized for the misleading images. 

Lee also did a bit of teasing, too. 

No Caption Provided

== TEASER =="Lair of the Shadow broker does, however, contain some really cool stuff we haven't revealed yet, so stay tuned for more details as we head into August," he wrote in the message board thread. He said the sickest part of the content would not be revealed in any shred of PR or marketing, leaving it up to the fans--the obsessive sort that would spot unusual guns in promotional images--to experience it without fear of the content being spoiled.

"Soon" is one of the only words we can use when describing when the new DLC, which will feature Mass Effect veteran and possible love interest Liara, will hit. So, I suppose you'll be seeing this weapon pack "very soon" or "rather soon" or "in early August."
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By ToxicAntidote

I don't really care about DLC-weapons. If new weapons were included with a big and juicy DLC, then it's totally fine, but not like this.

Simondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Simondorondo

cool, still haven't played this yet tho :(

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Well I've bought every other DLC pack this far so this one's a given, plus new weapons in ME2 for me can be worth paying for for how fun they could be. Especially the heavy weapons.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ZmillA

oh great NOW they bring back liara? I don't like how bioware has handled this game at all. Liara should have been a usable character in the main game from the start.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Jedted

As i recall, there are promo screenshots for other DLC where some fans noticed DLC weapons that (still)have yet to be released.  Sounds like Bioware's deffinatly got a lot of content up their sleaves and just waiting for the right time to reveal it. 
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

To be fair Mass Effect 2 is killing the DLC these days.  That Overlord DLC was quality but it's a shame that more hasn't had it into the Cerbrus Network.  Especially some of the weapon and armour packs.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I've been waiting for some Liara action ever since my first playthrough. My ME1 save game had her as my lover, so I felt pretty disappointed by the diminished role in ME2.

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By ChernobylCow

I'm glad I haven't played more than three or four hours of this game.  It'll make all the DLC more worthwhile.  Of course we'll hear the Bombcast crew complain how they don't want to go back and are uninterested in Mass Effect 2 DLC, but some of us can't play every new release that hits the market.

jacob816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By jacob816

Great, new DLC weapons before any more REAL content. Great work guys...

El33tPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By El33tPanda

Bioware is either really good at teasing or really bad at promo checking. Either way, I wish I had an eye to spot that.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By tactis

I havent gotten any of the paid DLC yet, one of these days I am gonna go and buy it all and play through it I love Mass Effect!

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By JessicaBoo

I haven't even finished Mass Effect 2 :(
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

Meh, I absolutely love Mass Effect 2, but haven't had much desire to play the DLC.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By pweidman

Weapons paks...never.  EA's rubbing off on Bioware.  They had those weapons equipped for the screens on purpose too..duh.  New content sure and add more than one or two achieves this time!  This nickel and dime DLC detracts from their incredible game some imo, although I did really like Overlord, so the Liara DLC is a given,lol.
    infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#16  Edited By infestedandy

I want there to be a package deal or sale on all this content. How much would it run you to pick up everything NOT on the Cerberus Network (since that stuff is free) anyway?

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By rohanspear345

mass effect 2 dlc is just disapointing just work on mass effect 3!

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
    goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

I hated Liara in ME2. I couldn't care less if she returns for some DLC on a game I finished (four times) what seems like years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That screenshot is an accurate indicator of how memorable most of the new characters in ME2 are.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By captainfish

Some of the weapon dlc peeved me off, because they offered weapons available in the deluxe edition with weapons that are completely new. This basically makes a dude who paid extra for the special edition have to pay for a less valuable dlc at the same price as everyone else. It's an asshole move.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By PJ
    @Mercanis said:
    " That screenshot is an accurate indicator of how memorable most of the new characters in ME2 are. "
    The new characters in in ME2 are great imo. They are more like characters then carbord cutouts I thought most of the characters in ME were. The only reason Garrus, Liara and Talia are great characters is because they are in ME2 and get tje same treatment that the new characters get. 
    Mordin, Grun. Thane, Samara, Legion, Jack and Miranda are all great characters and better then any character was in ME. 
    Jacob is to only character I didn't like(or dislike for that mather) becuse hes more like the characters in ME, really one dimentional.
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bravetoaster

It's a great game, but I'm not buying this DLC.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Sooooo glad I traded this game back in. The DLC in this game is TERRIBLE. People don't want to replay just for mildly interesting new weapons, and the actual proper DLC stuff was pretty either dull, or just bad. At least that wasn't too surprising. How did this game end up being so nerfed? Sigh. And the fact that Liara is fuckin DLC is stupid. I spent all of the last game romancing with her just so I could see her for like two seconds, have an awkwards, all too helmet-y kiss, and run an errand for her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@rohanspear345 said:
    " mass effect 2 dlc is just disapointing just work on mass effect 3! "
    The team making Mass Effect 3 isn't working on DLC for Mass Effect 2.

I'll never cease to be impressed with how little people understand about DLC.  I bet they still get mad about unlocks, too.
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lawrens

For some reason I'm caring less than I thought I would, I enjoyed ME2 and wanted more, but I didn't bother with any of the DLCs when they came out a few weeks (or was it month?) after I've already beaten it.

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SilverBulletKY

Overlord was really good.  Check IGN's rating on it if you haven't tried it yet.  Kasumi wasn't bad.. kind of like a James Bond mission.  It was much different that the other missions in the game but short so probably not quite worth the cost of the DLC but I don't regret buying it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

Haven't installed any ME2 dlc. Don't plan too, either. It all seems like way too much of a waste of money, especially considering how little each piece contains. I loved the game, but I don't have the money lying around to pay for a bunch of frivolous fake-character and bonus-gun packs. I might buy Lair of the Shadow Broker, as that sounds like it may be a little more meaningful. I bet they'll charge up the ass for it, though.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @rohanspear345 said:
    " mass effect 2 dlc is just disapointing just work on mass effect 3! "
    The team making Mass Effect 3 isn't working on DLC for Mass Effect 2.  I'll never cease to be impressed with how little people understand about DLC.  I bet they still get mad about unlocks, too. "
    Mass Effect 2 was hardly disappointing. It was a masterpiece compared to the first game, which was a flawed gem imo.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By DukeTogo
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Haven't installed any ME2 dlc. Don't plan too, either. It all seems like way too much of a waste of money, especially considering how little each piece contains. I loved the game, but I don't have the money lying around to pay for a bunch of frivolous fake-character and bonus-gun packs. I might buy Lair of the Shadow Broker, as that sounds like it may be a little more meaningful. I bet they'll charge up the ass for it, though. "
    The few story-based DLC packs were pretty good, and if you're starting out or replaying the game they make a much better impression than if you've got nothing to do but get a lap dance in your quarters.  The item DLCs are hit and miss.  I'd have liked a $10 pack that just gave you everything, but Bioware knows they can eke out more money by splitting them up, especially for those that didn't get any of the stuff from special editions or pre-orders.  The Aegis pack is pretty decent, it basically gives you everything you'd want in an armor set, great for playing on harder difficulties.

The only thing that they need to stop is the new headgear, nobody likes to play with it on so buying three new helmets isn't appealing, unless the stats are overpowered.  The new clothes one is probably the worst, simply because everyone bought it for Garrus' fixed suit, something that should have been part of the main game.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions
    @DukeTogo said:
    " I'd have liked a $10 pack that just gave you everything, but Bioware knows they can eke out more money by splitting them up,"
    I know what you mean, but I'm pretty sure EA is to blame. For Dragon Age, Bioware was originally going to incorporate a storage chest into the party's campsite, but EA made them take it out and put it into the "Warden's Keep" DLC so it would sell better. I think the Bioware team is actually significantly respect-worthy, especially considering how much they try to tweak their games to please everyone. But what the publisher wants, the publisher gets.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Undeadpool

DLC guns for free were fun...don't know how I feel about paying for them. 

@PJ said:

" @Mercanis said:
    " That screenshot is an accurate indicator of how memorable most of the new characters in ME2 are. "
    The new characters in in ME2 are great imo. They are more like characters then carbord cutouts I thought most of the characters in ME were. The only reason Garrus, Liara and Talia are great characters is because they are in ME2 and get tje same treatment that the new characters get. Mordin, Grun. Thane, Samara, Legion, Jack and Miranda are all great characters and better then any character was in ME. Jacob is to only character I didn't like(or dislike for that mather) becuse hes more like the characters in ME, really one dimentional. "
    Agree with this point. I immediately began to adore most of the ME2 characters, and at the very least liked all of them. Jack and Thane are the most interesting to me while Garrus' added depth is a welcome addition.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Branthog

I don't know how to feel about this sort of thing. On one hand, it's good to see them continuing to support a game well after its release. On the other hand, they're charging for it. And why do I give a fuck about a weapon alteration or change or tweak or addition for a game that I beat the week it was released, most of a year ago?

There is a window of opportunity with DLC. Too early and it's "so this was made already and you just decided to take it out of the game and charge more for it?", but too late and it's "uh, that game is on my shelf and collecting dust and I have no interest in playing it through again".

How about we just go back to the old days when you make a game and we play it and a few years later, you make another game and we play that one. The only exception should be multiplayer games where new content in the lifetime of that game makes sense -- and perhaps intentionally chopped up games that are supposed to be sequential?

I adored Mass Effect 2, but I could not care fucking less about the DLC.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By MetalBaofu
    Yeah...I couldn't care less about, and will never buy DLC that doesn't add story and/or new missions.  That goes for any game, not just ME2.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By niamahai

if you buy both it's $10.

not really that offensive imo

detectivepbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By detectivepbert

Sweet. 

MasterChief360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MasterChief360

I have Kasumi, but I haven't embraced her yet.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DrPockets000

Uh oh, I'm with Tali now.

Shepard's got some 'splainin to do.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Garrus

I know that it probably isn't but that looks like an LMG at the back. Oh yeah.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By haggis

I thought the Kasumi mission was great. Overlord was also a decent mission set. I'm not sure I understand this lack of desire to play the DLC. ME2 was a fantastic game, and the DLC has been alright. Granted, I didn't much like the Firewalker pack, and the Hammerhead has been mostly a failure. I've only picked up the free weapon packs (I'm not willing to pay for that sort of thing). But I can guarantee that I'll be picking up the Liara DLC as soon as it comes out. My favorite playthrough so far has Shep hooked up with her, and I'd like to see how that plays out.

"There is a window of opportunity with DLC. Too early and it's "so this was made already and you just decided to take it out of the game and charge more for it?", but too late and it's "uh, that game is on my shelf and collecting dust and I have no interest in playing it through again"."

See, this I don't understand. The first DLC came out very soon after ME2 was released, and they've been releasing DLC steadily since the game came out. Which was only five months ago. So, when would be too early and when would be too late? It seems that Bioware has been doing a fantastic job with DLC for ME2. There have been a few mission packs, a few new characters and some weapons and outfit packs. It's a pretty diverse set, and things have been coming out fairly regularly. If this isn't the ideal way to release DLC, then I don't know what is.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jmood88
    @Mercanis said:
    "That screenshot is an accurate indicator of how memorable most of the new characters in ME2 are. "

Not at all.
    jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jmood88
    @FunExplosions said:
    "Haven't installed any ME2 dlc. Don't plan too, either. It all seems like way too much of a waste of money, especially considering how little each piece contains. I loved the game, but I don't have the money lying around to pay for a bunch of frivolous fake-character and bonus-gun packs. I might buy Lair of the Shadow Broker, as that sounds like it may be a little more meaningful. I bet they'll charge up the ass for it, though. "

How are the characters fake? Kasumi and Zaeed are extremely useful.
    mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mewarmo990
    @Branthog said:
    " I don't know how to feel about this sort of thing. On one hand, it's good to see them continuing to support a game well after its release. On the other hand, they're charging for it. And why do I give a fuck about a weapon alteration or change or tweak or addition for a game that I beat the week it was released, most of a year ago?   

There is a window of opportunity with DLC. Too early and it's "so this was made already and you just decided to take it out of the game and charge more for it?", but too late and it's "uh, that game is on my shelf and collecting dust and I have no interest in playing it through again"."
    Not all of it has been good, but DLC has been coming out steadily since launch. So if you don't care about DLC that comes out after the first week of release, but see early DLC as greedy... where exactly is this "window of opportunity" you speak of?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.