Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Restarting Mass Effect 2 - Lose completed save?

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Scapegoat

Simple question that I couldn't find an answer too... 

I'm thinking of doing a playthrough of Mass Effect 2 on insanity, however I'm also aware that I may lose interest half way and leave it unfinished. 

My question is: if I start the game using my finished Mass Effect 2 save - will it be deleted or does it remain? Basically I want to know I can still import it into ME3, even if don't finish the insanity run. 

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

you should be able to have multiple save slots to import from.

but i can't confirm that.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By haggis

It saves each time you finish the game. So if you use one character to play through twice, you'll have two slots to import. That's how it worked with ME1 imports. It will not overwrite your first playthrough.

Also, in ME1 I played one character all the way through. Then I played that same character a bit to max out the levels, but never actually finished the game on the second playthrough. When I imported into ME2, it only allowed me to import the first playthrough, the only one I actually finished.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany
    @haggis said:
    " It saves each time you finish the game. So if you use one character to play through twice, you'll have two slots to import. That's how it worked with ME1 imports. It will not overwrite your first playthrough.  Also, in ME1 I played one character all the way through. Then I played that same character a bit to max out the levels, but never actually finished the game on the second playthrough. When I imported into ME2, it only allowed me to import the first playthrough, the only one I actually finished. "
    Heh, yeah. I had roungly 6-10 playthoughs of like 5 different characters. I only have 4 now but still... 

Well, considering they knew coming into ME2 they were going to have DLC, I would hope that if you completed the game and any dlc completed after will also be carried over.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Scapegoat
    @haggis said:
    " It saves each time you finish the game. So if you use one character to play through twice, you'll have two slots to import. That's how it worked with ME1 imports. It will not overwrite your first playthrough.  Also, in ME1 I played one character all the way through. Then I played that same character a bit to max out the levels, but never actually finished the game on the second playthrough. When I imported into ME2, it only allowed me to import the first playthrough, the only one I actually finished. "
    Awesome - just what I wanted to know, cheers!
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Scapegoat: Yeah, BioWare is cool like that. I believe they also do this for Dragon Age. I think they break it down for both series as "Characters" and then "Careers", with each Career representing a separate playthrough on that same character.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By napalm
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " @Scapegoat: Yeah, BioWare is cool like that. I believe they also do this for Dragon Age. I think they break it down for both series as "Characters" and then "Careers", with each Career representing a separate playthrough on that same character. "
    No, they don't. They just have careers, but they don't distinguish the same characters used for multiple playthroughs. It just lists them as if they were all different, but they give you all of the stats, so it's easy to see which ones are the same characters. But, when you create more than one character with the same name and background because you realize you fucked his/her cheekbones up the first time around, well, things get a little complicated, haha.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Skytylz
    @Scapegoat: Don't do a new game+ it's way harder.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scapegoat
    @Skytylz said:
    " @Scapegoat: Don't do a new game+ it's way harder. "
    Huh? Why is that?
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skytylz
    @Scapegoat said:

" @Skytylz said:

Huh? Why is that? "
    It scales, so at the beginning you have bad equipment and are fighting mid to late game level stuff. 

Edit: You'll still hit the level cap if you do every quest because of the xp bonus after beating it once.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RVonE
    @Skytylz said:
    " @Scapegoat said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    Huh? Why is that? "
    It scales, so at the beginning you have bad equipment and are fighting mid to late game level stuff. "

Which is a good reason to do a new game+.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Dany said:
    " @haggis said:
    Heh, yeah. I had roungly 6-10 playthoughs of like 5 different characters. I only have 4 now but still...  Well, considering they knew coming into ME2 they were going to have DLC, I would hope that if you completed the game and any dlc completed after will also be carried over. "
    On that note, has anyone heard anything about how save importing will work in ME3?  I beat the game, then loaded a post-Omega 3 save to play Shadow Broker, based on what BioWare had said about the Shadow Broker dialogue being weighted towards assuming that your character had already beaten the Collectors.  I'd hate to lose that progress, especially my relationship status with Liara, going into ME3 if they make you take a fixed "end-game" save in, or whatever.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scapegoat
    @Gooddoggy said:
    " @Dany said:
    " @haggis said:
    Heh, yeah. I had roungly 6-10 playthoughs of like 5 different characters. I only have 4 now but still...  Well, considering they knew coming into ME2 they were going to have DLC, I would hope that if you completed the game and any dlc completed after will also be carried over. "
    On that note, has anyone heard anything about how save importing will work in ME3?  I beat the game, then loaded a post-Omega 3 save to play Shadow Broker, based on what BioWare had said about the Shadow Broker dialogue being weighted towards assuming that your character had already beaten the Collectors.  I'd hate to lose that progress, especially my relationship status with Liara, going into ME3 if they make you take a fixed "end-game" save in, or whatever. "
    If choices from the DLC do in fact carry over then I'm sure you will be fine. Playing the DLC after completing the game will be a situation countless people are in (which will increase given there is still more DLC to come) so I'm sure they will make sure you're covered.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By haggis
    @Scapegoat said:
    " @Gooddoggy said:
    " @Dany said:
    " @haggis said:
    On that note, has anyone heard anything about how save importing will work in ME3?  I beat the game, then loaded a post-Omega 3 save to play Shadow Broker, based on what BioWare had said about the Shadow Broker dialogue being weighted towards assuming that your character had already beaten the Collectors.  I'd hate to lose that progress, especially my relationship status with Liara, going into ME3 if they make you take a fixed "end-game" save in, or whatever. "
    If choices from the DLC do in fact carry over then I'm sure you will be fine. Playing the DLC after completing the game will be a situation countless people are in (which will increase given there is still more DLC to come) so I'm sure they will make sure you're covered. "
    As far as I know, we've heard nothing about how ME3's save import will work. But I can't imagine they'd make the mistake of not factoring in the DLC being played after the actual game. I'd expect that the two would be handled separately, that is, that the DLC's decisions are saved after the mission is complete and not part of the main game save. This just keeps getting more complicated. :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.