Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Stop dumbing it down!

• 76 results
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Edited By jorbear

I would like to start off my first blog ever by saying I love Giant Bomb. Err. Yeah 
               I'm a pretty big RPG gamer, to put that out there. And something has been changing in this genre, and is really irking me (vocab ftw!). The developers have been dumbing down all of the mechanics that make an RPG what it is. And it's getting to the point where they are only RPG's by name. However, for me to fully express my opinions on the subject of RPG's (and other games for that matter) dumbed-downed-ness, I must give you my (and the only) definition of an RPG. 
    A Role Playing Game is a game where you create a character and you choose how he grows. Choice is the crux of all RPG's. Choice in the story, choice in the development of your character, and choices with consequences. While choice of story, and consequences have been working out fairly well, the growth of a character has not.  
              One of the more recent examples in the great game of Mass Effect 2. Anyone who has played the first game knows that it was a great one as well, although it was plagued with inventory and skill tree problems. I admit that they had problems in both of these areas, but they also had their strengths. The inventory system allowed much more choice than there was of that in Mass Effect 2. You were able to choose weapon and armor mods for your whole squad on the fly. It had its inventory management problems for sure, but Bioware completely did away with it. They also gave you much less skills to choose from. While this was not a major complaint with me, I liked having to choose which one of my companions would upgrade their warp ability, while I pushed to get singularity. 
              Now why did they do this? Well, it was problematic for sure, but the real reason is immersion. Developers are now creating works for this god that they call immersion. Immersion is not a bad thing at all, its a great thing, but it's how they try to achieve it that bothers me. They do it by cutting down patience and hard work. They want to get you right to the juicy and exciting parts.  
                    I remember when it took time and hard work to achieve something in a game, that was great. I felt like I had to truly know my enemies and the world around me to be able to succeed. It may have had some downtime in doing this, but it was immersive. I had to read the books that the game gave to me, I had to listen to what people had to say, and sometimes, I would have to test it out. 
                  Those were the good ol' days, back when I wasn't alive. I'm pretty young to be playing Morrowind and The Witcher, but they really opened my eyes.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jorbear

I would like to start off my first blog ever by saying I love Giant Bomb. Err. Yeah 
               I'm a pretty big RPG gamer, to put that out there. And something has been changing in this genre, and is really irking me (vocab ftw!). The developers have been dumbing down all of the mechanics that make an RPG what it is. And it's getting to the point where they are only RPG's by name. However, for me to fully express my opinions on the subject of RPG's (and other games for that matter) dumbed-downed-ness, I must give you my (and the only) definition of an RPG. 
    A Role Playing Game is a game where you create a character and you choose how he grows. Choice is the crux of all RPG's. Choice in the story, choice in the development of your character, and choices with consequences. While choice of story, and consequences have been working out fairly well, the growth of a character has not.  
              One of the more recent examples in the great game of Mass Effect 2. Anyone who has played the first game knows that it was a great one as well, although it was plagued with inventory and skill tree problems. I admit that they had problems in both of these areas, but they also had their strengths. The inventory system allowed much more choice than there was of that in Mass Effect 2. You were able to choose weapon and armor mods for your whole squad on the fly. It had its inventory management problems for sure, but Bioware completely did away with it. They also gave you much less skills to choose from. While this was not a major complaint with me, I liked having to choose which one of my companions would upgrade their warp ability, while I pushed to get singularity. 
              Now why did they do this? Well, it was problematic for sure, but the real reason is immersion. Developers are now creating works for this god that they call immersion. Immersion is not a bad thing at all, its a great thing, but it's how they try to achieve it that bothers me. They do it by cutting down patience and hard work. They want to get you right to the juicy and exciting parts.  
                    I remember when it took time and hard work to achieve something in a game, that was great. I felt like I had to truly know my enemies and the world around me to be able to succeed. It may have had some downtime in doing this, but it was immersive. I had to read the books that the game gave to me, I had to listen to what people had to say, and sometimes, I would have to test it out. 
                  Those were the good ol' days, back when I wasn't alive. I'm pretty young to be playing Morrowind and The Witcher, but they really opened my eyes.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AuthenticM

You should format your text better.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jorbear

Lol. Okay. I'll get right to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It's not dumbed down, it's streamlined.   
    Dragon Age was a great RPG, and I know there is concerned about the reported streamlining of the sequel. I think that  these people need to chill the fuck out and roll with the punches. Dragon Age was a throwback to the days of NWN and Baldur's Gate, games which I lost many hundreds of hours of my life to.  I can appreciate the fear of loss of these conventions, but it is simply a refinement.  Plus, put some fucking faith in Bioware.  They have never failed.   
    Games change with the times, and technology and gameplay are growing and improving rapidly.  I am all for a more streamlined experience, not taking me out of the game world and breaking the immersion of the experience by keeping clumsy and unnecessary mechanics.
    Mass Effect 2 was better than ME1 in every conceivable way.  If they had kept any of the inventory management, skill trees, and other nonsensical trappings of conventional RPGs, it would have simply detracted from the experience, and made it more "gamey" than the fast paced, dark, and great experience that it was.  

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jorbear

Its a fine line between streamilined and dumbed down. I never said that they shoulve kept the old systems of ME1, but I certainly would not have got rid of them completely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear:  
    I won't dispute that's a fine line.  But what would you have them do?  As someone who's played through ME1 4 times, you really start to notice the problems with it.  You basically end up with a constant stream of upgrades and inventory items which you have to switch out, and it takes waaaay too much time.   
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jorbear

I agree. It does. But the second one lacked almost any system of that at all. The two weapons per class (not counting the heavy weapons), and the fact that they were the latter one was superior to the first lacked any sort of descision from the player on which one he wanted to use. 
    I just think BioWare should've just tweaked the system, and made it easier to use, rather that do away with it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " It's not dumbed down, it's streamlined."
    I think this one sentence pretty much sums up how I feel and I believe the transition from ME1 to ME2 had far more to do with streamlining than it did with dumbing down. I also think we are not by any means living in a time where there aren't games where it takes hard work and time to achieve goals.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@InfamousBIG said:

" @jorbear:  As someone who's played through ME1 4 times, you really start to notice the problems with it. "

I agree. I'm replaying ME1 right now, and it's really rough. 

I consider myself a huge fan of RPGs, but I find that things like inventory management, stats, skills, etc. are more often than not implemented quite poorly in games. I think that they're just thrown in because that's what's expected. I like that stuff when it's done right, but it usually isn't, and that can really get in the way of a game being as good as it could be.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora

You're right on the matter that ME2 is less of a RPG than it should have been, however the ME1 inventory and skill tree didn't seem to be all that impressive in the first place. I'm hoping in ME3 they'll reintroduce more RPG elements into the game.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jorbear
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " It's not dumbed down, it's streamlined."
    I think this one sentence pretty much sums up how I feel and I believe the transition from ME1 to ME2 had far more to do with streamlining than it did with dumbing down. I also think we are not by any means living in a time where there aren't games where it takes hard work and time to achieve goals. "
    I agree, there are games where it takes hard work and patience, but there are less of those games. Now its just follow me down this corridor and shoot this guy, or stab this guy. With the occasional puzzle or dialouge thrown in somewhere. (Not using ME2 as an example)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Soapy86:  
    Yeah, somewhere along the line before I knew that ME2 would import saves, I deleted my game off my hard drive for room, and lost all my fucking saves.  I had to replay ME1 just a month ago when I finally bought 2 so I could experience the game the right way.  I'm debating in my mind right now whether to start a new ME1 game and play through as renegade.  I know I will sooner or later, so I'll probably just start now.  It's going to be REALLY hard to do that after playing ME2. 

As a side note, this is irony.  I get a buttery 60 FPS in ME2 with all settings maxed out, but I get less than or around 30 in ME1 with all settings maxed out.  Speaks volumes about the optimization in that game.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By mazik765
    @jorbear said:
    " I agree. It does. But the second one lacked almost any system of that at all. The two weapons per class (not counting the heavy weapons), and the fact that they were the latter one was superior to the first lacked any sort of descision from the player on which one he wanted to use. I just think BioWare should've just tweaked the system, and made it easier to use, rather that do away with it. "
    The limited amounts of weapons I found actually made the game more tactical because I had to carefully choose what team members the bring with me and how to level them up and equip them for any given situation. And the latter being better that he former is true for some weapons, but not for all. The heavy pistol comes to mind: the first one had a larger clip size and a faster rate of fire, but the second one was much more powerful per shot, but couldn't hold as many shots and fired slower.

If you played this game on Insanity you know there is nothing dumbed down about ME2. Streamlined? Yes. But there are an incredible amount of tactical choices to make in order to be successful on Insanity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear:  
    I'm a little confused.  When you refer to hard work, are you talking about grinding, or just having a game be overall difficult like Demon's Souls?  Or something else entirely? 

I think that there are plenty of games that are hard, or require hard work to get a goal.  It is largely dependant on what kind of a game it is, though.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jorbear
    @mazik765 said:
    " @jorbear said:
    " I agree. It does. But the second one lacked almost any system of that at all. The two weapons per class (not counting the heavy weapons), and the fact that they were the latter one was superior to the first lacked any sort of descision from the player on which one he wanted to use. I just think BioWare should've just tweaked the system, and made it easier to use, rather that do away with it. "
    The limited amounts of weapons I found actually made the game more tactical because I had to carefully choose what team members the bring with me and how to level them up and equip them for any given situation. And the latter being better that he former is true for some weapons, but not for all. The heavy pistol comes to mind: the first one had a larger clip size and a faster rate of fire, but the second one was much more powerful per shot, but couldn't hold as many shots and fired slower.  If you played this game on Insanity you know there is nothing dumbed down about ME2. Streamlined? Yes. But there are an incredible amount of tactical choices to make in order to be successful on Insanity. "
    That is true for the heavy pistol. I'll give you that. I absolutely hated the hand cannon, but the other one was too weak. So I never used my pistol. :P 
    I think it would've been better if they had given you more weapons to choose from in each category, and have them all shoot differently as well.  

And also, I think that ME2 is a far superior game than ME1 in terms of gameplay, but it could've been even better if they didn't change the RPG elements as much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only "wtf?" moment in ME2 was when you are in that one collector ship, and you have to decide if you want the beast AR, the beast sniper rifle, or the other weapon (shotgun).  I thought, "And I can't take all three...why?"

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jorbear
    @InfamousBIG said:

" @jorbear:  I'm a little confused.  When you refer to hard work, are you talking about grinding, or just having a game be overall difficult like Demon's Souls?  Or something else entirely?  I think that there are plenty of games that are hard, or require hard work to get a goal.  It is largely dependant on what kind of a game it is, though. "

I mean mostly preparation. For example, The Witcher did this perfectly. You had to use alchemy to create your potions that would turn the tide of each battle in your favor, if only barely. But to know which potions and other items would increase your chances, you had to read the codex. You had to first make an educated guess on which enemies you might encounter. Then make the potion and apply it to increase your chances. 
    Now this system wasn't vital, but it made the game a lot more rewarding  as a result.
    The Witcher came to the states with know background, and no one knew anything about it. But through its codex system and such, I felt that I knew all about the world, and even bought the books.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jorbear
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " My only "wtf?" moment in ME2 was when you are in that one collector ship, and you have to decide if you want the beast AR, the beast sniper rifle, or the other weapon (shotgun).  I thought, "And I can't take all three...why?" "
    Yeah, I thought that whole part made the game too easy. Playing as an adept, I was easily able to mow them down with the assault rifle, or use my biotics to wipe the out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear: Unfortunately I have never played the Witcher, so I cannot relate to this 100%.  But from your post it seems you are talking about being strategic and knowledgeable about the game mechanics.   

This is purely a matter of personal preference, but I prefer that streamlined, or "dumbed down", if you prefer.  Lots of potion drinking and time consuming preparation for gameplay seems to detract from the overall experience for me, and seems very last-gen.  Much as there once were games that mapped about every key on the keyboard (and yes, I know that ArMa II still exists), that is gone.  And while that may be removing something from the game, and "dumbing the experience down", I feel that it is unnecessary and archaic. 

Again, it's a matter of personal taste, and what you look to games for. 
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jorbear

Yeah, I have to agree. It's all personal preference. I like the direction of many games and their streamlining, but some need to tone it down a bit, or just stay where they are.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Streamlining is different then dumbing down. Mass Effect 2 still had all the depth of the first one. It was just presented differently. Instead of having hordes of different armors you got one main one that you could customize endlessly.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By bravetoaster

I don't feel that ME2 was "dumb downed". There's more than one way to make a good rpg. ME2 had more of a cinematic or television feel to it, and I believe that's what Bioware wanted.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jorbear
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Streamlining is different then dumbing down. Mass Effect 2 still had all the depth of the first one. It was just presented differently. Instead of having hordes of different armors you got one main one that you could customize endlessly. "
    I actually loved the new armor system. I thought that was one of the best parts of the game.  
    I hated having to wear pink armor in the first one. And I think that ME2 was steamlined a little bit too much for my tastes.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jorbear
    @Axxol said:

" I don't feel that ME2 was "dumb downed". There's more than one way to make a good rpg. ME2 had more of a cinematic or television feel to it, and I believe that's what Bioware wanted. "

Yeah, you're right there. I guess I wanted something else completely from it. A great game, just not necessarily a great RPG, in the RPG purist's definition.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear: I guess I can see what you're talking about, as I felt that Oblivion was a dumbed down Morrowind, and had a lot less depth than the rich world Bethesda created in Morrowind.  It just works with certain things and not others.  And, as you said in your last post, I think the issue is that you were looking for something different in ME2 than what Bioware was trying to create. 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Is it dumbed down? Certainly. But really, the RPG elements were the second worst part about Mass Effect 1 (The worst part? The mako.) Nothing quite like meaningless statistical percentages to really make you feel like your character is progressing.

Mass Effect 2 focuses on being straight shooter with a few cool powers thrown in the mix and is a much, much, much better game because of it. If I want an RPG that has actual good RPG elements, I can play Dragon Age or Wizardry 8.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jorbear
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Is it dumbed down? Certainly. But really, the RPG elements were the second worst part about Mass Effect 1 (The worst part? The mako.) Nothing quite like meaningless statistical percentages to really make you feel like your character is progressing.  Mass Effect 2 focuses on being straight shooter with a few cool powers thrown in the mix and is a much, much, much better game because of it. If I want an RPG that has actual good RPG elements, I can play Dragon Age or Wizardry 8. "
    I liked the Mako... 
    And I've already said, ME2 is a better game than ME1. 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @jorbear: Then what is the argument at hand? Would you have prefered more of an RPG in the traditional sense? Because really, ME2 hit all the right notes for me due to the fact that it openly defied the first game's lackluster hybrid approach.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jorbear
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @jorbear: Then what is the argument at hand? Would you have prefered more of an RPG in the traditional sense? Because really, ME2 hit all the right notes for me due to the fact that it openly defied the first game's lackluster hybrid approach. "
    Look at what Borderlands did with their hybrid. That formula was great. Yes, that exact system wouldn't work in Mass Effect, but with some tweaking, it could work very well in ME3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear: Uhhh...sorry to argue, but Borderlands had some problems.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jorbear
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " @jorbear: Uhhh...sorry to argue, but Borderlands had some problems. "
    Well yeah, but the RPG-FPS hybrid worked out quite well, Bioware could learn from Borderlands success in that area.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AuthenticM

I find Mass Effect 2 to be superior to its predecessor in every way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear: RPG stands for role playing game.  Borderlands had a grand total of 0% role playing.  It was a FPS with middling shooting, a metric shitton of useless guns, a disappointing story, and some archaic rpg mechanics (such as grinding).  Inventory management was poor, as there was no bank (until Moxxi), and it was overall a very disappointing game. 

Mass Effect 2 is in a whole different league.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jorbear
    @AuthenticM said:
    " I find Mass Effect 2 to be superior to its predecessor in every way. "
    I could write another blog on this. 
    Gameplay wise, yes. Characters are much better in ME2. But the story in the first one was far superior to ME2. 
    In ME1, all of the quests pertaining to the overall goal (stopping Saren) were all directly related to that, and they all felt connected and had meaning to this goal. With Virmire being one of my favorite pieces of gaming ever. In ME2, you spend most of your time building up a squad. This of course connects to stopping the collectors, but indirectly. And I never felt like the collectors were as imminent threat as much as Saren was. This is simply because you didn't constantly see the destruction and madness left in his wake. I will admit, however, that the missions that are directly related to the collectors were great.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jorbear
    @InfamousBIG said:

" @jorbear: RPG stands for role playing game.  Borderlands had a grand total of 0% role playing.  It was a FPS with middling shooting, a metric shitton of useless guns, a disappointing story, and some archaic rpg mechanics (such as grinding).  Inventory management was poor, as there was no bank (until Moxxi), and it was overall a very disappointing game.  Mass Effect 2 is in a whole different league. "

It had RPG elements. That were implemented greatly for a game like that. It reminded me so much of Diablo with its loot and addictive gameplay. While it was not a pure RPG in terms of choice within the story, the Mass Effect trilogy has already nailed the choice and consequence in two games.  What I was saying was that there was a much more RPG-like inventory system than that in ME2. While this system wasn't perfect, and it certainly wouldn't work in ME3 (ME1 already proved us that), if they tweaked that formula enough, (as in just less stuff) it would work superbly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear: Story superior in one?  FUCK NO!  What are you smoking. 
    Story in one was predictable, bland, and very one sided. 
    Story in two is great, and while the missions related to the collectors may be few, they are very good.  ME2 is a much darker and richer game than ME1, and it has a darker and richer, more meaningful story.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jorbear
     @InfamousBIG said:
    " @jorbear: Story superior in one?  FUCK NO!  What are you smoking. Story in one was predictable, bland, and very one sided. Story in two is great, and while the missions related to the collectors may be few, they are very good.  ME2 is a much darker and richer game than ME1, and it has a darker and richer, more meaningful story. "
    The only meaningful revelations were that the Reapers need the genetic material of a species to create more reapers, and that the collectors are Protheans. The only one that surprised me was the latter. In ME1, when I learned about the Reapers I was looking for a cower in fear choice on the wheel. It was slowly unraveling its mysteries and posing new ones. At the beginning I was out to stop Saren, after Virmire it was to stop the Reapers.  
    I will agree with you that it ME2 was much darker, and I loved that aspect of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear: When ME2 had Aria drop the F-Bomb, I just wanted to hug it.  That was a fucking awesome moment.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jorbear
    @InfamousBIG: Lol. Was that the only f-bomb in the game? I think it was... 
    On a side note, I loved Omega. But I still think The Citadel is superior, only because I love political intrigues. 
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By carlthenimrod

Mass Effect is more about story then loot. I was glad that they stripped out some of that stuff to be honest. All it did was slow things down. Don't get me wrong, I love Borderlands, but it's a very different kind of game.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jorbear
    @carlthenimrod said:
    " Mass Effect is more about story then loot. I was glad that they stripped out some of that stuff to be honest. All it did was slow things down. Don't get me wrong, I love Borderlands, but it's a very different kind of game. "
    Yes I know that, but it melded those two genres pretty well. Different game or no, ME3 could use some inventory management seminars from Borderlands. As long as it doesn't get Diablo style loot, or get to the level that ME1 was at.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#42  Edited By AgentJ

The change they made that I was most upset about was the addition of ammo. Sure, it encourages people to use all the weapons available, but the "charging" of the previous game gave it a unique flavor and feeling that I really missed. The slaughtered skill tree was also a major loss. Still a great game though.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AuthenticM
    @jorbear said:
    " @AuthenticM said:
    " I find Mass Effect 2 to be superior to its predecessor in every way. "
    I could write another blog on this. Gameplay wise, yes. Characters are much better in ME2. But the story in the first one was far superior to ME2. In ME1, all of the quests pertaining to the overall goal (stopping Saren) were all directly related to that, and they all felt connected and had meaning to this goal. With Virmire being one of my favorite pieces of gaming ever. In ME2, you spend most of your time building up a squad. This of course connects to stopping the collectors, but indirectly. And I never felt like the collectors were as imminent threat as much as Saren was. This is simply because you didn't constantly see the destruction and madness left in his wake. I will admit, however, that the missions that are directly related to the collectors were great. "
    True. The main story in ME1 is better, I agree. And Saren was a better villain than the collectors. But it's probably the only thing ME1 does better than its sequel.
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By HadesTimes

As the video game industry tries to grow they will be "dumbing down" like crazy because they want to make boat loads of money.  The more people who can understand and play the game, the more copies they sell.  That's about it man, sorry.  But there are all ways games like Demon's Souls that are particularly opaque for the sake of being opaque.  But this kind of thing is not the norm.  Hey, I like bullet hell shooters, how many of those have even come out in the past 3 years. Like 5?  Things they are a changing....

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By mr_faraday

Interesting points on both sides, but either way for me i still enjoyed ME1 ten times more than ME2 and im not even a RPG player.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I hear where all you guys are coming from, and lots of your points have valid concerns, all I keep thinking is: 
    "We can do a whole lot worse then Mass Effect/Dragon Age"

Play Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the first few levels you do nothing but get taken by the hand.
    Or in MW2 they steer you all around (RAMIREZ, KILL THAT KROGAN WITH A SPOON), there's loads of games that drag you kicking and screaming end to finish, while Mass Effect does the same, it does so with some more depth and fun added along the way.
    There's a certain kind of "dumbing down" present in ME2, but not in the way that it's ruining a game or changing the experience.
    Overall it's a better, and yes, streamlined presentation that drags us into that wonderful world of videogames.

Bioware ain't perfect, they learn stuff too every game they make, but they come damn near close in the sense of giving us a real videogame instead of a first person movie where you are just along for the ride.

Drainoslushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Drainoslushy

There's nothing dumbed down about ME2. 

Have no idea whether it's simple RPG player snobbery but different doesn't equate to dumbed down. There's nothing smart about having 10 options where you could simply have 1, or 15 almost identical guns when you could have a simple upgrade system. To look at a system that has been streamlined to great effect and has really improved the feel of what was a clunky and messy system in their first game, is much much lazier than anything Bioware did in ME2.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jorbear
    @Drainoslushy said:
    " There's nothing dumbed down about ME2.   Have no idea whether it's simple RPG player snobbery but different doesn't equate to dumbed down. There's nothing smart about having 10 options where you could simply have 1, or 15 almost identical guns when you could have a simple upgrade system. To look at a system that has been streamlined to great effect and has really improved the feel of what was a clunky and messy system in their first game, is much much lazier than anything Bioware did in ME2. "
    I never said that I liked the system in ME1, but removing any trace of it was bad as well. I just feel they should have had a better inventory management system in ME2, rather than just get rid of it completely.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jorbear
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " I hear where all you guys are coming from, and lots of your points have valid concerns, all I keep thinking is:  "We can do a whole lot worse then Mass Effect/Dragon Age"  Play Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the first few levels you do nothing but get taken by the hand. Or in MW2 they steer you all around (RAMIREZ, KILL THAT KROGAN WITH A SPOON), there's loads of games that drag you kicking and screaming end to finish, while Mass Effect does the same, it does so with some more depth and fun added along the way. There's a certain kind of "dumbing down" present in ME2, but not in the way that it's ruining a game or changing the experience. Overall it's a better, and yes, streamlined presentation that drags us into that wonderful world of videogames.  Bioware ain't perfect, they learn stuff too every game they make, but they come damn near close in the sense of giving us a real videogame instead of a first person movie where you are just along for the ride. "
    Yeah. I guess I just kinda miss the old Bioware, or the Dragon Age Bioware.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Garrus

I believe Mass Effect 2 was a little dumbed down, yes they did away with allot of things but I feel it took away from the immersion for me. I believe what they're doing is immersion for the movie go-ers, people who want the straight up action "Wow that game was like some epic movie" where as there's immersion by "Good lord this armor was worth the price, I wouldn't have survived that last bla bla" immersion for gamer-gamers I guess. Since they did home in at Bioware on Mass Effect 2 being sequenced like a movie. Which yes is good but I believe there should have been more of an inventory and stuff for the people who wanted it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.