Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Animation is way worse in ME3

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I've just been going back through ME2 to work up another character to import, and I noticed the animation and lip-sync in 2 is WAY better!! Also I lost count of the amount of times in 3 where you can see one animation end and another just kick in, its really jarring and tbh it took me out of watching what was previously a really well animated movie.

The 'hold my hand up to my face and look down' animation is WAY overused for when a character is struggling to cope with something.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Does Shepard still run with his head down like he has a concussion? Because that was something that bothered me in 1 and 2.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Does Shepard still run with his head down like he has a concussion? Because that was something that bothered me in 1 and 2.

I know this sounds crazy, but the running animations are actually worse in ME3.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By The_Nubster

Yeah, I know what you mean, especially about the jarring animation. The combat animates very well, but I feel like the game lost some of its more intimate moments to character model issues and glitchy movements. During a talk with the Illusive Man, his elbow became a part of his hip, so one half of his character model looked like it was doing the chicken dance. Weird stuff.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

@Cloudenvy said:

I agree. It looks like your floating of have a wooden leg.

Jetpaction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jetpaction

My overall experience is that ME3 doesn't look as polished as ME2 does. Especially the thirst half of the missions all look like they rushed the level-design and cutscene animation. Compare that to the ME2 Shadowbroker DLC; that is one good looking expansion with a lot of detail in every scene. The difference with ME3 is pretty large. Although I have to admit the filmgrain in ME1 and ME2 covers a lot of these shortcomings. Also the framerate in ME3 seems worse.

Still a very good game, just not as good as ME2 imo.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BrockNRolla

That said, the run animation in ME3 looks robotic and ridiculous. I'm not sure Shephard could kick up his/her knees any higher.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

The run animation is really weird looking, ME2 was weird with the head thing but the hips or something just look off in ME3. The cutscenes are also really janky in ME3. I feel like 1 in 10 will result in a character disappearing or facing the wrong way or moving weirdly. I had Garrus disappear during one and had Dr Chakwas facing the wrong way while trying to talk to me so her head keep moving left and right which caused her neck to morph left and right. My Shepherds eyes keep rolling back and he keeps turning his head to the right for no reason. I also wish they had made a few more new animations. I keep seeing the same ones repeat over and over again and lots of them are from ME1.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

POLISHED! YES!! Thats the word I was looking for, I dont want to call the dudes 'lazy', because clearly that term isnt apt for the amount of man hours they would have put in, but DEFINITELY polished. If ME2 was polished, then ME3 is FULL of dents!

I never actually noticed how much I love the film grain tbh, but I totally agree with Brad about it being necessary, I think it should have been an option in the menu! I wonder how much testing they did with teams of dudes before this came out, because if you get any number of fans of the game in, they would pick up on ALL of the problems we're having in an INSTANT

The whole situation with this game and the way its being received is so fuckin weird. I mean Casey is having to defend and justify their side of it in interviews!! Messed UP!

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. I had loads of animation ... i dunno what to call it - flinching? in ME3. Everything a bit twitchy and slightly wonky, and the lip syncing is really quite bad a lot of the time.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

Yep, I only played through the demo but the animations were noticeably worse. Both, glitchy and just plain bad (run animation in particular). I wonder what happened there.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake

@The_Nubster said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, especially about the jarring animation. The combat animates very well, but I feel like the game lost some of its more intimate moments to character model issues and glitchy movements. During a talk with the Illusive Man, his elbow became a part of his hip, so one half of his character model looked like it was doing the chicken dance. Weird stuff.

Yeah I've noticed this as well. The combat animations looks smoother but there's the occasional odd moment during cut scenes or dialogue where small things like eyes, heads or hands are awkwardly placed. Pay close attention to Shepards head right after Tali's romance scene for example, it just looks like they forgot to animate his eyes sometimes. On the other hand, Garrus' romance scene though has a lot of detail to it. The whole thing is just very inconsistent. It's very...odd. I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who's noticed the bad lip syncing but at the same time it makes me sigh in disappointment a lot.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

@Cloudenvy said:

Female Shepard wearing the club/night dress and running is simply awful. How did the animation team let that go through - I guess female Shep is always constipated or something.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By chilibean_3

@Cloudenvy said:

Worse, yes. But also hilarious! So bad!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By natetodamax

The way Anderson runs (or walks?) in the first mission is hilariously bad.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

I like to call Shephard's new run animation "Baldur's Gait".

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexW00d

@msavo said:

I agree. It looks like your floating of have a wooden leg.

Haha, what?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1
    @AlexW00d lol that's what I get for typing on a Vita. I meant to say or have a wooden leg. I love this machine but the web browser is dog shit.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Hahaha Anderson's little trot across the rooftops is HILARIOUS. And so is Garrus doing a quaint little strut through the battlefield on Menae! SO much stupid crap in this game, its RIDICULOUS they let so much stuff go in comparison to the previous games

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @believer258

I like to call Shephard's new run animation "Baldur's Gait".

*slowclap*
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kyrieee

The running animations look especially weird when you're not in combat gear, because they're not adjusted at all.

It's so strange that ME1 had by far the best movement animations.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There's some great improved animations going on.
    Then a squadmate does the silly reload animation and you get ripped out of the immersion.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Harkat

Most of the stuff said in this thread is true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I almost love the clumsy canned animations sometimes. I imitate them. I give people a point. Sometimes I crack my knuckles, or slam my fist in my palm. Cross my arms and rest on one leg. Wave my hands emphatically to signal no. Put my hands up to my face as if I were crying but don't actually touch my face.

Approach bars with a lumbering presence from about five feet out. Drink my booze in one gulp and then wring my head. Push off of the bar until I'm standing five feet away.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Buscemi

@BrockNRolla: He's a robot, hello?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GaspoweR

I felt that the combat seems to be the one thing that they have improved upon. Unlimited sprint and the ability to jump dodge made the combat run at a faster pace. It's weird but the combat seems to be the ONLY thing I found that they did well in ME 3. I mean the game is still enjoyable, and I don't hate it but I can't help but feel disappointed that this is how the game turned out.

Addendum: I think the most development time was spent on ME 1 (around 3 or 4 years) since they were essentially building upon the universe before they went on to focusing on building the actual game. Plus at that time, Bioware wasn't bought out by EA and the original Mass Effect was published by Microsoft Game Studios. The buyout occurred after the Xbox 360 version came out and before the PC version was released. Again, I think the pressure of being such a high profile developer owned by a large publishing company cost them and the quality somehow suffered. I think the game would have benefited from another delay to maybe another few months. There were buggy side quests ("roam" quests) in the game wherein you couldn't even interact with the NPC in order to complete it. It was pretty annoying and I only experienced it only in this game.

It'd be interesting to see how the Witcher 2 does since I really like the developers at CDProjekt Red to succeed. They are one of the few developers who really are focused on supporting their products months after release, giving free updates and constantly tweaking and squashing bugs. Those guys were also Bioware fans and built the first Witcher on Bioware's Aurora Engine. I think it would come to a point that they would surpass them in the long run and I hope they do.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By andrew2696

I find it funny because after playing all the Mass Effect games I can't imagine how Shepard would jog normally. I mean you can't really go full sprint because it looks weird in a public place so in my head the awkward jog is the only way in the Mass Effect games to run at a decent pace when not in combat. To me all of the games have funny animations in that department but I kind of accept it.

And I don't notice anything about lip sync but I'm terrible with noticing basic things like that.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By andrew2696

@GaspoweR: What about the power customization? It's not amazing but I think it's an improvement on 2.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Sooty

Pretty much everything about 3 is worse than 2.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

@Sooty said:

Pretty much everything about 3 is worse than 2.

Thats actually true! Apart from adding a dive roll and an over-cover takedown, I cant think of anything else thats an improvement. I mean the pacing is horrendous because it feels stupid that you're doing fetch-quests while Earth gets torched, and they took out a bunch o dialogue options and let Shep do half the convos himself!

Power customisation yeah I guess it has more literal branches, but I dunno they're not very in-depth. I would have liked to rank up the destructive side of the push power, so that when I max it out, and I'm full Renegade, I can just pop some heads!! :D

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jmfinamore

@Brodehouse said:

Put my hands up to my face as if I were crying but don't actually touch my face.

What is with games and this animation? It's been around forever and it's always looked awful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 137

@Cloudenvy said:

I just wish sheppard didn't look like he was running around with a butt plug in his ass, whats up with "dat gap" I mean if fem shep walks around like that then I'm all for it lol. Also am I the only one who notices everyones neck articulation is like a godamned owl. That is the worse when someone has their back to you and they look over their shoulder to address you. I've tried rotating my own head as far as they do in the game and I just don't see how it's anatomically possible lol.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm

Shepard also does that weird thing when he/she's standing there, where s/he steps forward and puts all of her/his weight on his/her front foot and her/his head bobbles back and forth like a doll.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeathByWaffle

The running animation is the shittiest one since Wanted: Weapon of Fate, especially when someone (like Anderson) is running in front of you. NO ONE MOVES THEIR UPPER BODY

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm

@Voxel said:

The way Anderson runs (or walks?) in the first mission is hilariously bad.

I haven't stopped laughing for ten minutes.

Or, this, which is fucking hilarious:

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@Napalm said:

Or, this, which is fucking hilarious:

It took far too long for someone to post this here.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm

@Hailinel: His laugh gets me every fucking time.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vorbis

I ran through ME2 the weekend before starting ME3, the animations are just as bad if not worse. You're not remembering it correctly if you think ME2 had good animations, there are moments when leaning on a table and turning to face someone that your whole body looks like it's on a turnable. Not even mentioning your head looking in the wrong direction for a lot of conversations or looking at your feet while on the Normandy.

They are all equally bad, just bad in different ways.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By InternetDotCom

The Citadel is a constant race to the bathroom

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.