Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Dr. Ray addresses concerns on Mass Effect 3's ending

• 189 results
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By N7
    @Pinworm45 said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Enigma777 said:

So Bioware caved-in to a bunch of whiny crybabies?

Wow...

So Bioware is listening to their large fanbase and maybe improving their product? Who the fuck would have thought.

So Dioware didn't stick to their vision and bend over backwards for a few trolls? Who the fuck would have thought.

A "few trolls"? There's tons, TONS of people who hated the ending. How are they trolling? They're pretty sincere about it. I know I am.

Did they "not stick to their vision" when someone during QA says "hey man, this part here, this isn't really working", and then they changed it? Did they not stick to their vision during any of the rewrites? fixes or balance changes?

They originally didn't envision tali or garrus being romance options. Did they "bend over backwards" and destroy their artistic integrity when they gave in and let people have those options in Mass Effect 2?

Are you new here or something? The internet hates Bioware. Now the trolls have a reason to "attack". Just let them bitch and complain. If you quit feeding the troll, they'll have no reason to kick and scream. Especially since, you know, Casey Hudson said this EXACT SAME THING TWICE ALREADY. They just pretend to care now because they can "ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA".
    crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By crimsonclown

This isn't BioWare pandering to fan pressure, it's them reacting to external feedback and realising that their vision for the end of the game was deeply flawed. And yes, people will say "but it was their vision". That's fine but if what ultimately concerns them is pleasing their fanbase, then why shouldn't they be allowed a second shot? It's easy to loose yourself in an artistic endeavor that you pour yourself into and think you know how people will react.

Cut them some fucking slack, they botched the most important part of the trilogy (subjective, yes but the vast majority of people think so) and now they have the balls to admit that and are willing to give it another shot.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By napalm
    @Milkman said:

Fucking ridiculous. All this does is prove that Roger Ebert is right. Art doesn't change because of an internet nerd circle jerk. Art is the work of the creator and the creator only. And this proves that video games are most certainly not that. This industry just got set back further than it already was so grats, internet?

Yeah, except when you know, budgets and time constraints come in and muck the whole thing up. Yeah, totally art, bro. Technically, they already changed the ending the first time since the leak, so your point is pretty much null and void.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're so proud of their ending and ready to defend it, how about taking the time to make an article or video where they break down and explain the metric ton of complaints towards it that are legitimate? Like the sheer amount of nonsensical logic and in-universe inconsistencies that are presented in the last ten minutes of the game.

I'd be happy to hear them just lay out a bottom line exactly WHY the ending is the way it is and respect that as a work of art if you will. I'll accept any ending they released as long as they could defend it, but all they've done since this shitstorm happened is skirt the issue. An ambigious or downer ending could be great. A non-sensical and completely lore breaking one is unacceptable however.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#105  Edited By Phatmac

Disappointed that Bioware would bend over backwards to Mass Effect nerds that have nothing better to do than complain about the ending for this long. I've moved on already. The ending is terrible, but it doesn't deserve this kind of response. I'm upset that Bioware didn't stick to their guns and fight of these nerds that demand stupid shit like this. This is ridiculous..

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By haggis
    @RetroVirus said:

At least they've acknowledged the problems with the ending. I personally would have no problem if they added extra cutscenes to explain what actually happened.

What they acknowledged, essentially, was that the fan reaction was a problem. I don't think this statement means what some critics think it means. And that's why they're probably going to remain disappointed. They're not trying to fix the ending, they're trying to fix the fan response. It's a big difference. And no surprise, given that their writers aren't going to stand by and be happily thrown under the bus. They're trying to stand by the ending and make fans happy at the same time. It's unlikely they can win either way. They win by not playing the game, and by running down the clock. They think April will be long enough.
    Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#107  Edited By Barrabas

Yep, people were pissed about the ending, and now people are pissed that the ending is changing. That's about what I expected. I hope this ends up being a lesson to further developers that the internet will be pissed no matter what you do so don't worry about it so much.

Personally I think there is one way in which you could add onto the ending without it being a total cluster fuck but it requires you to have finished the game in such a specific way that it wouldn't work for what I assume is the majority of people.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

I read that as Dr. Jay. Then that made me think what if Dr, J and Larry Bird made this game. Shepard would slam dunk the reapers through the hoop on the citadel.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By cloneslayer

Remember when everyone loved Bioware....

This is a sad time in video gaming

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By Enigma777

@Pinworm45 said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Enigma777 said:

So Bioware caved-in to a bunch of whiny crybabies?

Wow...

So Bioware is listening to their large fanbase and maybe improving their product? Who the fuck would have thought.

So Dioware didn't stick to their vision and bend over backwards for a few trolls? Who the fuck would have thought.

A "few trolls"? There's tons, TONS of people who hated the ending. How are they trolling? They're pretty sincere about it. I know I am.

Did they "not stick to their vision" when someone during QA says "hey man, this part here, this isn't really working", and then they changed it? Did they not stick to their vision during any of the rewrites? fixes or balance changes?

They originally didn't envision tali or garrus being romance options. Did they "bend over backwards" and destroy their artistic integrity when they gave in and let people have those options in Mass Effect 2?

"Tons" of people on the internet = a small minority at best. Just because they're loud doesn't mean there's a lot of 'em. Most people who have played the game have no idea there's any controversy at all.

Also there's a HUGE difference between changing stuff while the game is still being developed and retrofitting it based on fan "wishes"

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#111  Edited By alistercat

I find Kotaku's headline of Bioware changing the ending hugely misleading. I don't think he said that at all in his address to Mass Effect 3 players. He just said they're working on content to address concerns.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By napalm
    @CrimsonClown said:

This isn't BioWare pandering to fan pressure, it's them reacting to external feedback and realising that their vision for the end of the game was deeply flawed. And yes, people will say "but it was their vision". That's fine but if what ultimately concerns them is pleasing their fanbase, then why shouldn't they be allowed a second shot? It's easy to loose yourself in an artistic endeavor that you pour yourself into and think you know how people will react.

Cut them some fucking slack, they botched the most important part of the trilogy (subjective, yes but the vast majority of people think so) and now they have the balls to admit that and are willing to give it another shot.

This, this, this. A million times, this.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By Yanngc33

I haven't played the game yet. I think they shouldn't make this new ending obligatory. It should be optional DLC. I want to experience the game as it was released and forge my own opinion about the original ending.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Gary Whitta's take:

I think BioWare made a really gutsy choice to end Mass Effect 3 the way they did and I applaud them for having the courage to do it. I do think it could have been executed a little better. But I think it has to say something that the ending has generated so much discussion, and that this is the first time ever I've written an entire article about a game's ending. It seems like BioWare is now scrambling to respond to public demand and is making noises about "fixing" the ending. I think that's a shame. When you're writing a story you should always go with what you think is right rather than try to guess what your audience wants, and I think the same is true retrospectively too. No matter all the whining and complaining I think BioWare should stick to their guns. I'm sure they had a plan for where this would all go next before the game released, so why they are second-guessing themselves now I have no idea.

Well said, Gary.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115  Edited By GeekDown

I wish they wouldn't make any DLC dealing with the ending. Just leave it like it is and make some epilogue and prologue DLC and that will probably be just fine.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#116  Edited By megalowho

I didn't like the ending, but the outrage got way out of hand. Lots of good games have disappointing endings, just move on.

I guess the long term potential of the Mass Effect franchise was too valuable to have their core fanbase so vocally upset and antagonistic. But that's the internet, and the internet hasn't been too thrilled with BioWare much lately anyway. They're piling it on on purpose.

Ah well. I wonder how much better/worse things get from here. popcorn.gif

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By haggis
    @CrimsonClown said:

This isn't BioWare pandering to fan pressure, it's them reacting to external feedback and realising that their vision for the end of the game was deeply flawed.

I don't see them admitting any such thing. I see this statement as PR. They saw negative fan feedback and are managing it. Note they haven't given anything but vague promises about what they'll actually do. If they're putting out DLC in April to "correct" this, it already has to be in the development pipe. They know what they're doing. They just haven't said yet. I think that tells us quite a bit.
    coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#118  Edited By coolarman
    dad0ktdid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By dad0ktdid

You guys do know that complaining that they listened to your complaining and are hinting at changes or clarification is stupid right? Ultimately, they made creative decisions in this game that pissed some people off. That is their creative freedom though and complaining that it did not end the way you wanted it to is extremely selfish and childish. Sorry if that pisses anyone off, I just get sick of the sense of entitlement that people have over this kind of stuff.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Napalm said:

@CrimsonClown said:

This, this, this. A million times, this.
    Well there's also a distinct possibility that they were made to do this after their community manager roundly told their community to fuck itself.

@Shun_Akiyama said:
    I read that as Dr. Jay. Then that made me think what if Dr, J and Larry Bird made this game. Shepard would slam dunk the reapers through the hoop on the citadel.

Sadly their hoop dreams ended with being told by EA Regulators that they had to make another penalty shot or go home losers.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By napalm
    @Enigma777 said:

Also there's a HUGE difference between changing stuff while the game is still being developed and retrofitting it based on fan "wishes"

The ending was originally changed after an outcry. 

I'm sorry, what were you saying, again?
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Arker101

@Tennmuerti said:

Good on them for addresing the issue. But like i keep saying, if this will be a free change i'd be allright with that. If they decide to charge for a DLC that fixes that ending, i for one will not buy it and it will likely affect all my further purchasing decisions when it comes to Bioware from then onward, not in a positive way. Charging for said changes will also cause yet another monumental internet outrage, probably even greater then the current one was.

You and me both, but what I'm scared of is that there will be a minor outrage, and that DLC will sell like hotcakes. The worst case scenario is they release this as $10 premium ending DLC and that enough people buy it to start a trend of releasing the real ending to your game later on. Publishers would love to jump on that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By napalm
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    Well there's also a distinct possibility that they were made to do this after their community manager roundly told their community to fuck itself.
    Whoa, whoa, what? Link?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#124  Edited By Enigma777

@Napalm said:

@Enigma777 said:

The ending was originally changed after an outcry. I'm sorry, what were you saying, again?

Learn to read, maybe?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#125  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm
    @Enigma777 said:

Changed in what way?
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#126  Edited By Kazona

If it's free, then I'm all for it. If they're gonna charge for it, then Bioware will end up on my shit list.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By chilibean_3

I kind of hate the internet right now. I kind of feel bad for enjoying video games right now.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By haggis
    @Coolarman said:

I think this is the ironic truth regarding the mass effect 3 ending

https://twitter.com/#!/BenKuchera/status/182503000932225025

The way internet forums work pretty much ensures that critics will think their opinions more widespread than they really are: hence the confidence some on here are claiming that a majority of people dislike the ending. As I've said: we have no way of knowing. And that's why I doubt Bioware will do much to address complaints by critics of the ending. So far, it seems to be working well enough, as some seem to be convinced Bioware is going to change the ending. I'd put a $100 down on Bioware's April DLC doing no such thing.
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @GunslingerPanda

Get ready to pay extra for the ending! That brings the price of the full game up to what? £60?

Mass Effect 4 will be the first single-player game with a monthly subscription. You'll pay £40 for the base game (Chapter 1) and then £15 a month for a new chapter a month after that. And you idiots will eat that shit up and declare Bioware to be visionaries.

You say that like a threat. If the content level matched the asking price, episodic ME content would be fantastic.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#130  Edited By big_jon

@Mr_Skeleton said:

My thoughts? People are stupid.

Agreed, let's drink!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: I'll refer you to Pinworm for that response. I never read the original script mostly due to avoiding spoilers.
    Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@UnrealDP said:

Cool, the internet overreacted and cried, so now they're pandering to those who took it too far. Awesome! Maybe I'm overreacting and they're not doing that much, but it still sucks that these guys feel the need to bend to the wym of the worst parts of the internet instead of standing by their product and its quality. I feel like everyone's been saying this, but why should I care about your game if you don't have the confidence to stand by it and up to the internet and its prominent assholes?

Oh well. Hopefully the other not ending related content is good.

Since when does the worst part of the internet protest by donating to the Child's Play charity to raise $75,000 in a two week time span?

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By haggis
    @Hailinel said:
    @Napalm
    @Enigma777 said:

Changed in what way?
    I've seen a lot of people make this claim, but there's no way of knowing for sure that the leak of the ME3 story details came before or after the changes were made. The leak was, after all, of an older document. I've seen no evidence one way or the other about the timing. Unless we know, it's hard to take the argument seriously.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#134  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Please announce it on April 1st! Please announce it on April 1st!

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By bigsmoke77

@Kevin_Cogneto: I am on the same boat with gary, the ending had promise but was poorly executed.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#136  Edited By sixpin

@chilibean_3 said:

I kind of hate the internet right now. I kind of feel bad for enjoying video games right now.

I feel very similar to what your saying in the first statement. However, I don't feel bad for enjoying videogames. I do feel like the Internet is making it very hard for me to continue enjoying videogames.

It is really hard in this day and age to completely shut out the Internet and the constant bitching. I feel bad for BioWare. They honestly can't seem to make anyone happy no matter which way they turn. On the other hand, if BioWare wants to focus on story heavy games maybe they should work on better writing to avoid this crap in the first place.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Samaritan

@haggis said:

@Hailinel said:
    @Napalm
    @Enigma777 said:

Changed in what way?
    I've seen a lot of people make this claim, but there's no way of knowing for sure that the leak of the ME3 story details came before or after the changes were made. The leak was, after all, of an older document. I've seen no evidence one way or the other about the timing. Unless we know, it's hard to take the argument seriously.

You should check out the Final Hours of ME3. It sheds a little light on the BioWare reaction to that leak and in some ways implies that changes were made, both before and after the leak occurred. The degree of the changes can never be known, but I was definitely left with the impression that BioWare took that leak very seriously and proceeded to address it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@CaptainCharisma said:

@UnrealDP said:

Cool, the internet overreacted and cried, so now they're pandering to those who took it too far. Awesome! Maybe I'm overreacting and they're not doing that much, but it still sucks that these guys feel the need to bend to the wym of the worst parts of the internet instead of standing by their product and its quality. I feel like everyone's been saying this, but why should I care about your game if you don't have the confidence to stand by it and up to the internet and its prominent assholes?

Since when does the worst part of the internet protest by donating to the Child's Play charity to raise $75,000 in a two week time span?

Don't bother. Butthurt bitches are butthurt because we didn't give up and made Bioware see how badly they hurt a lot of their fans.

Keyword there is fans. If you loved Mass Effect, you were at the very least upset by the ending. There is nothing wrong with Bioware coming out and manning up to their error. If you don't want an added ending, you don't have to get one. It is entirely unlikely that Bioware would push a new "director's cut" ending out via free patch.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@HubrisRanger said:

@GunslingerPanda

Get ready to pay extra for the ending! That brings the price of the full game up to what? £60?

Mass Effect 4 will be the first single-player game with a monthly subscription. You'll pay £40 for the base game (Chapter 1) and then £15 a month for a new chapter a month after that. And you idiots will eat that shit up and declare Bioware to be visionaries.

You say that like a threat. If the content level matched the asking price, episodic ME content would be fantastic.

Why don't you just walk into the Bioware offices, strip off, and bend over for them then?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#140  Edited By Sooty

@Arker101 said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Good on them for addresing the issue. But like i keep saying, if this will be a free change i'd be allright with that. If they decide to charge for a DLC that fixes that ending, i for one will not buy it and it will likely affect all my further purchasing decisions when it comes to Bioware from then onward, not in a positive way. Charging for said changes will also cause yet another monumental internet outrage, probably even greater then the current one was.

The worst case scenario is they release this as $10 premium ending DLC and that enough people buy it to start a trend of releasing the real ending to your game later on. Publishers would love to jump on that.

Without a doubt this will happen and the same people that bought the ending will probably moan about it when other games do it, claiming they didn't mind it because they loved the Mass Effect series, well guess what, some people like other games too. Doesn't mean they should have to pay more money to see the ending.

Just look at how much emphasis is put on DLC now, compared to a few years ago. Pre-order bonuses, day one DLC, DLC tied to online passes...it's ridiculous. Publishers would fucking love conclusive evidence that shows people will pay for DLC endings.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mackgyver

The game was great but the ending left me wanting more closure than, "Your crew crash landed. Good luck to them." Although I did like the ending scene after that. I was expecting more than what we got considering the time and effort we all put in the previous two games.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By UnrealDP

@CaptainCharisma said:

@UnrealDP said:

The same part that feels entitled enough to demand a change in an artists vision simply because "We don't like this part!" It's entitlement at it's worst and that charity thing felt like a dirty ploy. It's totally like taking a hostage. The only reason they did that was to have something to hold over Bioware's head when issuing these insane demands. Donating to charity is cool and it's cool to see someone get something out of this shitty situation, but, like I said, that charity thing felt super dirty and it was more like taking a hostage.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Arker101

Bioware claims to be listening to feedback, but I'm not sure they're trying to understand it. I recently read an article about how Gearbox addresses feedback,

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/14/2861998/gearbox-borderlands-testing

They took the feedback in, but intelligently addressed what the real problem was, not just what the players were complaining about because they know the players aren't developers and they don't know how to design a game. I wish Bioware would take a hard look at Gearbox's method.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yanngc33 said:

I haven't played the game yet. I think they shouldn't make this new ending obligatory. It should be optional DLC. I want to experience the game as it was released and forge my own opinion about the original ending.

If you want a comparable experience, get a blowjob and just before you're about to climax, get punched in your balls with brass knucks

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By haggis
    @Captain_Felafel said:

@haggis said:

@Hailinel said:
    @Napalm
    @Enigma777 said:

Changed in what way?

You should check out the Final Hours of ME3. It sheds a little light on the BioWare reaction to that leak and in some ways implies that changes were made, both before and after the leak occurred. The degree of the changes can never be known, but I was definitely left with the impression that BioWare took that leak very seriously and proceeded to address it.

The key word being "implies." Without proof, this argument is generally a waste of time. And there's no way of proving that the changes were made because of the leak, especially when the changes were already being made by the time of the leak. Who is to say the leak was responsible if changes were already in process? Being "left with the impression" isn't enough. You need some sort of proof that it actually happened, not some speculation. I came away from it with a different impression: ie., there was no evidence at all that the leak was anything but an early document that the developers had already significantly changed by the time of the leak.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#146  Edited By N7
    @TeflonBilly said:

@Yanngc33 said:

If you want a comparable experience, get a blowjob and just before you're about to climax, get punched in your balls with brass knucks

Uh... I heard from a friend of a friend that some people actually like that type of thing...
    morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#147  Edited By morrelloman

Cancel all DLC and just start making the next game Dragon Age style. I want more now. Like the purported Garrus and Shepard buddy cop game I'm hearing so much about.

And as much as I like multiplayer they had better go story DLC first. No matter what it is.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By JohnDudebro

If they just adjust what's there so that it makes a lick of goddamn sense, that'd be enough for me.

I'd love a fourth ending, but I don't think I'm going to get that.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Harkat

If fans are actually happy after this plays out, I will take a bite out of my hat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@N7 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Uh... I heard from a friend of a friend that some people actually like that type of thing...

Hey, some people seem to not have a problem with ME3's ending as well *shrugs*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.