Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Liara T'soni Kotobukiya Figure Review!

• 114 results
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#51  Edited By ArbitraryWater

What is with all the figurine-ing going on recently? I dunno. I am not opposed to the concept, as the Fallout 3 collector's edition Bobblehead on my desk proves, but I don't really think I'll ever have the balls to spend cash money on porcelain figurines of sexy anime or video game ladies and display them in public where women can see them. At most, I would get like... Batman or something. Because everyone likes Batman!

As for the Liara figure itself, can't say I'm too fond of it. As others have said, I find something... off with the face. But then again I never was much of a fan of Liara anyways. I'd totally display that Ezio one though... if I was an employed adult with disposable income.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

@LiquidPrince: So it's got nothing to do with who the character is, it's just... like you're putting up a pin-up then. I still think it's strange that a little toy would be given the same mentality as, say, putting up a poster of a real life, highly attractive model. But 'whatever', I know.

Also:

I respect your opinion enough on the internet and have even agreed with you in numerous other posts about numerous other things.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure we've always been at odds when it comes to anything.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#53  Edited By onan

@ArbitraryWater said:

What is with all the figurine-ing going on recently? I dunno. I am not opposed to the concept, as the Fallout 3 collector's edition Bobblehead on my desk proves, but I don't really think I'll ever have the balls to spend cash money on porcelain figurines of sexy anime or video game ladies and display them in public where women can see them. At most, I would get like... Batman or something. Because everyone likes Batman!

As for the Liara figure itself, can't say I'm too fond of it. As others have said, I find something... off with the face. But then again I never was much of a fan of Liara anyways. I'd totally display that Ezio one though... if I was an employed adult with disposable income.

Yeah, so that's the thing, women honestly don't care if you display stuff like that, assuming you can really own it and be confident in yourself and what you like. Some might even like it. Like if Ryan Gosling had that on his desk, no girl would run for the hills.

"Hey girl, I'm just here photographing my resin Liara sculpture for the internet. Yeah you can come over! We'll play xbox."

It's when you put it in conjunction with someone who is really unconfident or weird and awkward that statues like these appear to be the smoking gun, that he's probably going to kill her, stuff her, and mount her in his basement.

Double Entendre Horse says hi
    Double Entendre Horse says hi

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Do what you want, follow what you want.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Grixxel

Digging the tits, the face not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@onan Has nothing to do with it being a girl. It's that it doesn't look like the specific girl it's supposed to be.

Or, it's trying to make her look an already idealized woman into some other person's idealized woman.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By napalm

She is very, *ahem* perky.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By onan

@Brodehouse said:

@onan Has nothing to do with it being a girl. It's that it doesn't look like the specific girl it's supposed to be. Or, it's trying to make her look an already idealized woman into some other person's idealized woman.

Seriously? You think he would still get the same amount of shit on the Arkham City board if he posted this?

You, sir, may not know what you're talking about. I really don't think 's beef is about level of authenticity.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Yummylee

@onan: That's what I was initially trying to convey, before it lead to me then trying to understand why the hell someone would put up a hentai figurine on display; I even said in my first reply to you that what most irked me about the Liara figure, is that it's not her, and it's both a misrepresentation and a disservice to the character.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Initially I was fine with this thing, but the fact the face doesn't resemble the character at all and that it's highly sexualised tells me that for the people buying it it might as well not even have a face.

It's like the character isn't really important beyond eye candy and that's weird to me I suppose.

Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Finalwish

The anime face is freaking me out. I liked Liara's 'i'm not an idiot' facial expression

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By onan

@Abyssfull said:

@onan: That's what I was initially trying to convey, before it lead to me then trying to understand why the hell someone would put up a hentai figurine on display; I even said in my first reply to you that what most irked me about the Liara figure, is that it's not her, and it's both a misrepresentation and a disservice to the character.

Ah, my bad, I mistook you for . I stand corrected.

@Finalwish said:

The anime face is freaking me out. I liked Liara's 'i'm not an idiot' facial expression

You mean like during that conversation with Joker on the intercom about her head tentacles? Because that was awesome.

edit: Wow, that wasn't even a cutscene. Damn you, mental imagery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:

These are my words.

It's kind of like if they released a Ghostbusters figurine of Egon but he was all ripped and had his dick out, also if his face was replaced by Ryan Gosling.

(I'd buy that)

((I wouldn't))

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By onan

@ModerateViolence said:

@Abyssfull said:

These are my words.

It's kind of like if they released a Ghostbusters figurine of Egon but he was all ripped and had his dick out, also if his face was replaced by Ryan Gosling.

(I'd buy that)

((I wouldn't))

Funny you should mention that:

"If the light is green, my thoughts ain't clean."

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Ghostbusters-Bishoujo-Statue-Lucy/dp/B004T2RS6O

The same people who made this Liara also made a sexy Ghostbuster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onan said:

@ModerateViolence said:

@Abyssfull said:

These are my words.

(I'd buy that)

((I wouldn't))

Funny you should mention that:

"If the light is green, my thoughts ain't clean."

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Ghostbusters-Bishoujo-Statue-Lucy/dp/B004T2RS6O

The same people who made this Liara also made a sexy Ghostbuster.

The prosecution rests. Uneasily.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Rabid619

This actually looks better than I thought it would. I'll see if the local store here gets it in stock, then I may buy it. The face doesn't look nearly as bad as I originally thought it would, and I already have a pretty large Mass Effect collection growing. Thanks for the video.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By OmegaChosen

I think the inner nerd in me would enjoy having a figurine or two while the outer me just kind of raises an eyebrow at...myself. Nothing wrong with having figurines but I don't think I'd ever be comfortable displaying them up in my room for whoever walks in to see. Heck, I don't even have any posters in my room. I think I had a pokemon poster once when I was 8 or something.

Anyway, seeing as I recognize every character you have except for the green haired girl in daisy dukes I'm guessing that's the BB character? To be honest, I would have never guessed that that figurine was from some hentai. I just thought it was "Generic Anime Girl #Whatever". It looks rather innocuous all things considered.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny thing is, her breasts in ME3 now seem closer to the original figure's. 

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By stryker1121

@Abyssfull said:

@LiquidPrince: I don't care who you are. I just think figurines like that Liara one are creepy and pandering. As others have said, it doesn't even look a whole lot like her. It's just what some artist wanted her to look like, and that is apparently as some anime character with even larger boobs.

Can't say I know a ton about this stuff, but the Liara figure is done in the 'bishojo' style (literally meaning 'beautiful young girl') and isn't supposed to be an exact representation of the character.

Anime will always have a stigma to people who don't know much about it, and think all anime is about schoolgirl panty flashes, tentacled demons and flying teddy bears.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BigChickenDinner

This stuff is creepy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Abyssfull said:

@LiquidPrince: So it's got nothing to do with who the character is, it's just... like you're putting up a pin-up then. I still think it's strange that a little toy would be given the same mentality as, say, putting up a poster of a real life, highly attractive model. But 'whatever', I know.

Also:

I respect your opinion enough on the internet and have even agreed with you in numerous other posts about numerous other things.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure we've always been at odds when it comes to anything.

If that's true, I haven't noticed it. Also the face looks FINE in person. It looks very much liker her. Just slightly stylized.

No Caption Provided
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#71  Edited By musubi

I still don't and never will get peoples aversion to anime. Its only creepy if you make it creepy folks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Yummylee

@stryker1121 said:

@Abyssfull said:

@LiquidPrince: I don't care who you are. I just think figurines like that Liara one are creepy and pandering. As others have said, it doesn't even look a whole lot like her. It's just what some artist wanted her to look like, and that is apparently as some anime character with even larger boobs.

Can't say I know a ton about this stuff, but the Liara figure is done in the 'bishojo' style (literally meaning 'beautiful young girl') and isn't supposed to be an exact representation of the character.

Anime will always have a stigma to people who don't know much about it, and think all anime is about schoolgirl panty flashes, tentacled demons and flying teddy bears.

Hmm, be that as it may, I'm still not a fan. The style is thus still all about morphing characters into something they're not, and I definitely don't care for it. I'm not saying that there can be ''NO ALTERNATIVE INTERPRETATIONS EVER GRR'', but Liara isn't really that type of character who can benefit from being made to look so different without something else to balance the change. Considering her personality is relatively grounded, there aren't exactly any OTT traits or quirks that'll make you say ''oh, that's totally Liara!''. So when left as just a model, there's little to find that resonates with who Liara is meant to be. As I said earlier, if it wasn't in such a provocative stance and she was maybe tooling around with her omni-tool instead, then it'd look more fitting. Otherwise it obliterates both her appearance and her personality. Plus Liara is already depicted as being a beautiful woman to begin with, courtesy of the very beautiful woman her face is modelled with.

If she looked like that in some ME anime and the figurine was based off her in that regard, then I wouldn't mind. I still wouldn't like her look, but the anime would at least give her the opportunity to reassure that it is the same Liara from other ME media.

Also I know you're just schooling me and not taking sides or anything, so apologies if it looks like I'm trying to argue with you specifically :P

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73  Edited By wrighteous86
    onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By onan
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Yummylee

@LiquidPrince said:

@Abyssfull said:

Also:

If that's true, I haven't noticed it. Also the face looks FINE in person. It looks very much liker her. Just slightly stylized.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

...Are you serious? Slightly? She looks tacky in any case, and again the primary similarity I can put between the two is her outfit--and skin colour of course. I'd otherwise assume it was a model of a generic 'sexy asari' or something. God, that nose looks like it was the result of being squeezed between a pair of bricks like a cartoon. But I'm not the one who bought it, and this is all just going to fall under the usual ''opinions'' stalemate anyway, so whatevers for everyone!

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By Radar

That anime face and those gigantic squeezed tits are infuriating.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By soldierg654342

@Radar said:

...those gigantic squeezed tits are infuriating.

Not something I ever expected to hear someone say.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By selbie

She needs a mass effect field just to control those things. It also looks like they fused Barbie's face onto her skull.

It's one step away from becoming chibi

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By delta_ass

The face doesn't look anything like her. It just looks like an anime face.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By Radar

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Radar said:

...those gigantic squeezed tits are infuriating.

Not something I ever expected to hear someone say.

If it were on anything other than a anime/video game character I'd be all for it... but ugh... anime...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the body of a slut and the face of a 7 year old.

The end.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

The end.

Ridiculous.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By onan

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

The end.

"So, a 7 year old..?"

I will concede that the problem with anime is that every character looks identical and is pretty much only distinguishable by their hair. If they ever made an anime that took place at a chemo treatment center, it would get confusing really fast.

That said, it's still a nice looking figure.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By LiquidPrince

@onan: Not EVERY anime. Look to the character designs in One Piece if you want to see great variability. Almost every character has distinct facial features along with hair and so on.

No Caption Provided
    blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By blindisaac

Its that pedo shit from Japan! (I joke I am a Japanese major)

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that bishojo series had been going on for some time I guess

saw something like bishojo DC and Marvel heroines and one ghost buster too D:

oh and, femshep incoming

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, you got one early. I heard these were delayed until June-July. While I'm not really a collector of anime things or statues, I do in fact collect Mass Effect items and glad this looks of high-quality.

While I wouldn't say I collect miniature statue-style figures, I do have an Invisible Woman Bishoujo statue which I like a lot. She's a favorite superhero of mine and liked the design and picked it up.

But, about Liara, I don't have many issues with her face. I think a lot of these statues have some issues nailing the faces down to an exact representation, but I realize that it's not supposed to be an exact replica of her, but some anime-influenced style of how they would look if drawn in anime style.

Very nice pics and cool collection. You can collect anything as long as you make it look good on a shelf.

I cannot wait for the FemShep statue. I am an advocate of her and would likely pick it up.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Ketchupp

I'm glad that they made the fictional alien creature have "realistically" sized breasts....

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By onan

@LiquidPrince said:

@onan: Not EVERY anime. Look to the character designs in One Piece if you want to see great variability. Almost every character has distinct facial features along with hair and so on.

No Caption Provided

I'm intentionally being hyperbolic and reductive, but you're even acknowledging that your example is more the exception and not the rule, and that's more a credit to the abilities of Eiichiro Oda as an artist than the medium. Even so, I still see a lot of interchangeability in the main cast, and that's probably the fault of the Japanese consumer demanding a very narrow range of what acceptable faces should look like for main characters. If I photoshopped the hair off of one onto the other, it would be nearly impossible to tell them apart.

I've seen more than my fair share of anime and still appreciate a good manga, but it does really blur together after a while. The entire point of all of the crazy colors is to be able to more easily tell characters apart. It especially doesn't help that male faces tend to be interchangeable with female faces as well. Not hating on anime at all, just being honest. As someone who has seen a bunch and drawn a bunch over the years, the primary difference between anime series is artist style, but within that style there generally is very little variation, especially among the non-joke characters.

I don't mind that much, it's just when the personalities of characters are also carbon copies across different works, with super generic archetypes. That's when I get dismissive. I'm trying to think of some but they're just so generic they fall off the radar.

Anyway, yeah, no need to convince me.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MEATBALL

The complaints about the breast size always seemed as ridiculous as the breast size itself, really, I mean, isn't that sort of exaggeration part of the point of these kind of figures. It looks like the figure is fine, like most of the things the internet made a big fucking deal about prior to Mass Effect 3's release (Vega, EDI, homosexual romance option etc. - this is not a comment about the ending so just stop right now you massive neckbeard, yes I mean you reading this post right now, don't get so angry, I fully respect your right to not like the ending of Mass Effect 3, it's okay.)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LiquidPrince

@sate2801: Thanks for the heads up. Now I gotta buy her too XD

@onan: I agree to a certain extent. But not about the hair thing on the main One Piece cast. I think they all look quite unique even without their hair. But you're right in general.

@MEATBALL: Except I did like the ending.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By Sooty

This thread/blog post makes me feel way better about the stupid shit I spend my money on sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty said:

This thread/blog post makes me feel way better about the stupid shit I spend my money on sometimes.

everything is valuable to someone dude

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MiniPato

I'm glad I never spent any money on those super special editions of games that come with figures cause they look real cheap and plasticky.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By LiquidPrince

@MiniPato said:

I'm glad I never spent any money on those super special editions of games that come with figures cause they look real cheap and plasticky.

The Batman and Assassin's Creed one are great. The Uncharted is pretty bad though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the generic face and ridiculous pose, the paint job on that thing looks pretty shitty. Maybe it's just cause a guy I know is an extremely talented sculpter and painter of Warhammer models that I've grown an appreciation to the nuances, but there seems to be a real lack of nuance in the colors.

Honestly, the thing doesn't really do the character of Liara justice in any way.

Funny thing is I almost bought a figurine two weeks ago while picking up some comics. There was one based on Vatman from the cover of Batman: Black & White by Mike Mignola which had the most amazing coloring. That is if I could call it that since it was in black and white, but it looked like a 2D drawing as a 3D model if that makes any sense. I haven't been that impressed by a figurine in ages.

EDIT: Seriously, look at how awesome the shading is on this thing.

No Caption Provided
    audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By audiosnow

There was a girl I spoke to once who kept her elbows that tightly together.

She was trying to sell me a thousand-dollar wristwatch.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#98  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:

The end.

I'd buy that for a dollar!
    Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Freezer_Burn

The Femshep one and the Star Wars one they have out (Jaina Solo, I think) interest me more than Liara, but cool nonetheless. On an unrelated note, it appears you have the same speakers as me, except in a different model/colour.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#100  Edited By topsteer

@LiquidPrince said:

@MiniPato said:

The Batman and Assassin's Creed one are great. The Uncharted is pretty bad though.

Yeah, I have that Ezio statue as well and I was surprised at how good it is. Also, I want that Dark Magician girl.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.